Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

RobertKK wrote: »
    All good and Rooney primed for Sunday.

Cant see Rooney starting on Sunday and possible he wont even feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

All good and Rooney primed for Sunday.

Be nice to break the record against the pool! ;)

adox wrote: »
    Mata motm for me.

Underwhelming performance against a heavily depleted Hull team. A few players looked like they were just out for a kickabout.

Anyway good result. Tie not quite dead but Utd obviously huge favourites now.

Thought Valencia was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Good result tonight against a well drilled Hull side. Sunday is the big test now. It would be delicious to put another nail in their title hopes coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What's that now 9 wins in a row?

Yup 9 and 15 unbeaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So many chances being created,things will click and someone is going get a right hammering one of these days

Also Fellaini and chest control very few better then him at that

Quandary wrote: »
    Good result tonight against a well drilled Hull side. Sunday is the big test now. It would be delicious to put another nail in their title hopes coffin.

For me it's about getting Utd back into the title race
    **** Liverpool and their title hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nearly getting all the money back on Morgan is a great (and surprising) deal.

No sympathy for the lad. Maybe he thought he'd made the big time when he signed but he never seemed to apply himself properly on the pitch when he got the chance.

Great to see Utd finally playing hard ball with fees when selling players instead of giving them away.

I reckon Jose buys a midfielder this month. Just hope it's the player he has in mind for that defensive midfielder role.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Phil Neville, I argued that Mata wanted to leave Chelsea to join United, and Jose played him less at Chelsea knowing he was leaving.
    I think similar to the way lesser talented players like Memphis and Schneiderlin were dropped given they want to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fcukin love Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Love jose mentality he saying that with 30 mins to go in cup tie the players had no reason to celebrate a goal.

Morgan to score the winner against city
    Sleeper agent engaged

Nice interview from Jose.

"The players needed to do better, I needed to do better, the crowd needed to do better.."

This bollix with Sky about the offside. He ****ing looked onside in real time. The defender was moving back toward the goal as Mata was moving away from the goal.

Get over it ffs.

adox wrote: »
    This bollix with Sky about the offside. He ****ing looked onside in real time. The defender was moving back toward the goal as Mata was moving away from the goal.

Get over it ffs.

Freeze the camera a couple hundreds of a second further on and he is on side. Too tight for the linesman to call and the benefit is supposed to go to the attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Phil Neville, I argued that Mata wanted to leave Chelsea to join United, and Jose played him less at Chelsea knowing he was leaving.
    I think similar to the way lesser talented players like Memphis and Schneiderlin were dropped given they want to leave.

Mourinho said Memphis wasn't featuring because he asked to leave a few weeks so that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Professional performance tonight, should be enough to see us through to the final. Now watch the pool pick up a few injuries and suspensions tomorrow night hopefully then hammer them on Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Was happy for Fellani to shut up the boo boys.

Who would you start on Sunday as our wingers folks? Would like to see Mata & Mkhitaryan myself with Rashers & Tony coming on after 60 mins to run at them.

Jose said Morgan wanted to play every game, that he really likes him and saw him as an option in a long season, but he wanted to leave and that he is happy for him and that he is a true professional.

I guess the message in that is United need another option.

Who would you start on Sunday as our wingers folks? Would like to see Mata & Mkhitaryan myself with Rashers & Tony coming on after 60 mins to run at them.

Would like to have the usual midfield trio of Carrick, Herrera and Pogba, with Mata, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Herrera. Carrick. Pogba

Mkhitarayan zlatan. Martial

bangkok wrote: »
    Herrera. Carrick. Pogba

Mkhitarayan zlatan. Martial

Would start martial as well. Need a bit of width and pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The difference between Schneiderlin and Fellaini is something that again comes to the fore on a day like today.

Ask any average fan and I'd wager that 90% of them would scoff at the idea that Fellaini is the better player yet if you look at both their United careers you see just how underrated Fellaini has been in his time and how disappointing Schneiderlin has been.

Both moved for similar fees and are similar types of player. Fellaini treated like garbage by fans despite nearly always performing to a high level relative to everyone else in the team while Schneiderlin not showing the effort or skill required got a free pass from a lot of people who clearly weren't judging the players from their actual contributions.

2 managers, including the one who signed Schneiderlin preferred Fellaini and he makes over 100 appearances for the team. Schneiderlin struggles to make any impact and looked completely out of his depth. Everton are bonkers for paying that much imo as he's just not a very good player who had a system at Southampton which made him look better than he is.

I guess it shows what the media perception of a player can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Liam O wrote: »
    The difference between Schneiderlin and Fellaini is something that again comes to the fore on a day like today.

Ask any average fan and I'd wager that 90% of them would scoff at the idea that Fellaini is the better player yet if you look at both their United careers you see just how underrated Fellaini has been in his time and how disappointing Schneiderlin has been.

Both moved for similar fees and are similar types of player. Fellaini treated like garbage by fans despite nearly always performing to a high level relative to everyone else in the team while Schneiderlin not showing the effort or skill required got a free pass from a lot of people who clearly weren't judging the players from their actual contributions.

2 managers, including the one who signed Schneiderlin preferred Fellaini and he makes over 100 appearances for the team. Schneiderlin struggles to make any impact and looked completely out of his depth. Everton are bonkers for paying that much imo as he's just not a very good player who had a system at Southampton which made him look better than he is.

I guess it shows what the media perception of a player can do.

Koeman is under a bit of pressure and knows Morgan Id reckon thats the main reason they have gone for him.
    They may well set up the cm to get the very best of MS and he will again look good.Everton/Southampton are his level,he probably would have been a good squad player for United but it seems he didn't want that.

Good luck to him,United more or less got the fee back and hopefully they buy a cm this month who will offer something to the squad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Fair play to Schneiderlin for wanting more than a squad place. Shame it didn't work out but best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Impressed with Phelan in his Sky appearance. Missed the buildup so maybe missed something , but was very amicable and professional considering he was sacked from there so recently and in the circumstances.

Has something about him. Always impressive and interesting in any of the interviews and pressers I saw of him while at Hull. Be interested to see how he goes in his next job.

Regarding the match, nothing that hasn't been said already. Good result, performance and crowd a bit flat. Clever post match from Jose to get people firing for Sunday.

Imagine he's going to take the game to Liverpool big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also wish Schneiderlan well in his move. Disappointed it didn't work out for him and hope he can get his career back on track

TheDoc wrote: »
    Impressed with Phelan in his Sky appearance. Missed the buildup so maybe missed something , but was very amicable and professional considering he was sacked from there so recently and in the circumstances.

Has something about him. Always impressive and interesting in any of the interviews and pressers I saw of him while at Hull. Be interested to see how he goes in his next job.

Regarding the match, nothing that hasn't been said already. Good result, performance and crowd a bit flat. Clever post match from Jose to get people firing for Sunday.

Ohh god no i thought he was dull even Phill gave more tactical insight then phelan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

TheDoc wrote: »

Didn't watch it on Sky but the funny thing is Hull had been playing well* with very limited resources. It's a results game though but I reckon he will do well in his next job. (*I've seen them play 4 times in the last month or so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I hope we got all of our misses out of the way today because if it happens at the weekend we'll lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Sad it didn't work out for Schneiderlin but good look to him. Stayed pro. Didn't cause any trouble and from what I can see, Jose liked him. Really had high expectations of him but alas, it doesn't always work out. Getting in £22 back for him is excellent though and now it looks like a defensive midfilder is required.

What would you guys think of William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon? They're out of Europe now and doesn't look like they will bebothering Benfica at the top.

Personally I think he's a great player. A big enough (6ft1 or so) defensive midfielder who is good on the ball who also has a good pass on him and Mourinho likes his players to have that commanding presense about them. Since Bastian is there and getting a wee look in at the moment, if there was an injury in midfield, he could cover for now but maybe in the summer Carvalho could be gotten and his release clause is at £35m or so.

With Depay most probably heading out the door too, the funds should be made up. Depay was brought in to do magic on the wings but as things worked out, Rashford was unearthed for nothing which means a free and better replacement for Depay so that money can be added to replace elsewhere on the pitch. Not saying Rashford ideal position is the wings but saying that Depay wouldn't be a loss if gone as he's done nowt to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/818961368162377728
    Lyon are attempting to sign Adnan Januzaj from Manchester United, he is their priority, according to L'Équipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-trying-hijack-evertons-9597984

The Mirror saying that WBA are trying to gazump Everton's bid to sign Schneiderlin with an improved offer.

• Advertisement

That wasn't a bad game of football, just not United's best performance as of late. Thankfully that second goal came about, as Jose fielded a team which signified that he wanted to try to put the tie away in the first leg. 2-0 gives him a fair enough return on that outlay in the end.

It's still frustrating to see certain chances being missed though. The likes of a snap shot which Mata had early on in the game after a low ball across from Darmian, I wouldn't count that as one of those missed chances. Mata did well to get good contact on the ball and he forced a decent save from the keeper. It's the likes of Mkhitaryan's miss early on where he hit it wide from close range after a low ball in. Then in the second half, Rooney had the chance to beat the record with a really nice goal after a fantastic ball hit through from Mkhi, only for Rooney to drill it the wide side of the post. They're the kind of chances we should be at least hitting the target with.

Back to the positives - I thought Darmian had a very good game at LB, great to see. He didn't face much of a threat at the back in fairness, but he did well on the attack and made some decent runs on the overlap. He played that precise ball in to Mata in the first half, where he looked up before hitting the ball and picked out Mata rather than just keeping the head down and drilling it across the box. Then there was his perfect cross for Fellaini's clever header, again carried out with precision rather than just aimlessly swinging it into the box.

Well done Fellaini. Good work to win that bit of space for himself as Darmian's cross floated in. Then as the goalkeeper ran across to make a tight angle that bit tighter, Fellaini said "nope" and lofted it back across him to the the farside of the goal. A nice touch in the aftermath too with player and manager celebrating together. It was an important goal for the tie, but huge for Fellaini. As well as that, his goal sees another successful substitution made by Mourinho following other examples recently. Like Mata and Rashford coming on to turn the game in the win v West Ham last week.

Speaking of Mata, what a man. Valencia too, good shifts from both of them.

That's that for now, hopefully a Wembley appearance in the bag. I'm looking forward to United getting back to the league campaign though after two enjoyable cup games. There's a nice bit of momentum there now to take into the next game. 15 games unbeaten, 9 wins in a row, one foot in a cup final which the players do actually look forward to enjoy once they get there. The unbeaten run has to come to an end sometime and the next opposition are a level above that of the last few weeks, I feel though that the win is there for the taking. Hopefully Jose fields a team and game-plan on Sunday with that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-trying-hijack-evertons-9597984

The Mirror saying that WBA are trying to gazump Everton's bid to sign Schneiderlin with an improved offer.

Let's get Ed on the phone to a few Chinese clubs to. If we could manage to turn a profit it would be sensational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Mane and his pace will be a huge loss for Liverpool on Sunday.

Everyone knows Liverpool cannot defend and rely on dominating the game to win. United are creating so many chances but not converting most of them.

It's going to be a super game...or another Red Monday :pac:

3pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

zerks wrote: »

I will personally row him across the English channel and deliver him to Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Mane and his pace will be a huge loss for Liverpool on Sunday.

Everyone knows Liverpool cannot defend and rely on dominating the game to win. United are creating so many chances but not converting most of them.

It's going to be a super game...or another Red Monday :pac:

3pts.

We have conceeded 23 goals so far in the league. United have 19. Not a massive difference in fairness. One extra goal every 5 games so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We have conceeded 23 goals so far in the league. United have 19. Not a massive difference in fairness. One extra goal every 5 games so far.

Conceded 16 away from home though which is the most of the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Whilst true the difference is 'pool have conceded 16 of their 23 away from home, whereas United have conceded 8 of their 19 at home and even then that has improved greatly lately as Jose was beating the ghost out of LVG's poison tactics.

I expect both teams to go for it this time, draws are what have United in 6th.

SteM wrote: »
    Conceded 16 away from home though which is the most of the top 6.

Yes that's fair enough, 4 against Bournemouth where we fell apart, 3 against Arsenal on the opening day and 2 against Burnley where they scored two very nice break away goals, so that's 9 of our 16 in three games. What I'm trying to say when it goes wrong it goes spectacularly wrong :pac:

But the poster I responded to said we can't defend. If we can't defend surely we would have conceeded way more five extra goals than United?

Yes that's fair enough, 4 against Bournemouth where we fell apart, 3 against Arsenal on the opening day and 2 against Burnley where they scored two very nice break away goals, so that's 9 of our 16 in three games. What I'm trying to say when it goes wrong it goes spectacularly wrong :pac:

But the poster I responded to said we can't defend. If we can't defend surely we would have conceeded way more five extra goals than United?

We have had out outliers too mainly watford and chelsea games, should be a interesting game no less I havent much of a clue how either will setup but at a guess id say jose will try by pass your press.

As he said it's a lot down to the tactics and how much Liverpool have been controlling games as there have been a lot of individual errors in the back line this season for them.

We can't go on results if you take anything from Liverpool season they do well against the big teams they won against arsenal and Chelsea and city and drew with us and spurs.

Sunday will be a great game hopefully and hopefully we make it 10 in a row.

We have had out outliers too mainly watford and chelsea games, should be a interesting game no less I havent much of a clue how either will setup but at a guess id say jose will try by pass your press.

Yea I know what your saying. It's easy to look at the stats and say so and so have scored/conceeded so many goals but you have to look at the games behind them as well.

I hope it's a better game than the one at Anfield, but in fairness that won't be hard to top :D

I think City tried to bypass the press and we dealt with that ok. Hard to know how it's going to play out.

We will miss Mane. Henderson doesn't look like he'll make it, Matip is still out and Counthio is just back so may not start. If we had those four I'd be a bit more confident but without we are very light on the bench if we need to change anything during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Liam O wrote: »
    As he said it's a lot down to the tactics and how much Liverpool have been controlling games as there have been a lot of individual errors in the back line this season for them.

Good point although he has impressed me a lot this season I still hate seen Rojo dwell on the ball as he has a mistake in him most games.

It's actually funny really, Bailly is one of those defenders that excite me the most as he has it all. Big, strong and brave. Yet United's change of results occurred when he was injured. It will be interesting to see if he walks straight back into the fold when available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think City tried to bypass the press and we dealt with that ok. Hard to know how it's going to play out.

City made a very poor attempt at it tbh.

Well hopefully have a proper out-ball in Zlatan.

Good point although he has impressed me a lot this season I still hate seen Rojo dwell on the ball as he has a mistake in him most games.

It's actually funny really, Bailly is one of those defenders that excite me the most as he has it all. Big, strong and brave. Yet United's change of results occurred when he was injured. It will be interesting to see if he walks straight back into the fold when available.

Jones and Rojo are first choice at the moment with Smalling behind them. If 1-3 of them aren't injured by the time Bailly comes back then I'd be very surprised!

I prefer defenders who spend a bit more time on the ball. The mistakes look worse but if they can play it out 95% of the time the team work better as a unit and wastes possession a lot less. Helps too having DDG behind them! Rojo was signed by LVG as a left footed ball playing CB but injuries both to him and others stopped him playing there. I can't remember too many mistakes from him in the position.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement