Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/819100379220676608

Lyon getting the lowdown from LVG on Memphis and Adnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's crazy to think at one point PSG were apparently going to throw 30 million our way for Januzaj! Be doing well to get 5-10 for him at the moment.

Was hoping Memphis would go on loan but Jose is a pretty decent judge and he hasn't got a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We have conceeded 23 goals so far in the league. United have 19. Not a massive difference in fairness. One extra goal every 5 games so far.

So by that logic, Mignolet and Karius are good goalkeepers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's crazy to think at one point PSG were apparently going to throw 30 million our way for Januzaj! Be doing well to get 5-10 for him at the moment.

Was hoping Memphis would go on loan but Jose is a pretty decent judge and he hasn't got a look in.
    Janauzaj looks ok the last few games for Sunderland

Janauzaj looks ok the last few games for Sunderland

I've seen him play a few times and he hasn't really stood apart from the rest at all. He has only started 7 or 8 games all season and he looked very poor against Liverpool and Burnley in the last two I've seen him in.

Can't see him getting a look in at Old Trafford and can't see him getting a move to anyone who will pay more than 5-10 million tops.

Yea I know what your saying. It's easy to look at the stats and say so and so have scored/conceeded so many goals but you have to look at the games behind them as well.

I hope it's a better game than the one at Anfield, but in fairness that won't be hard to top :D

I think City tried to bypass the press and we dealt with that ok. Hard to know how it's going to play out.

We will miss Mane. Henderson doesn't look like he'll make it, Matip is still out and Counthio is just back so may not start. If we had those four I'd be a bit more confident but without we are very light on the bench if we need to change anything during the game.

City really didn't try and bypass it. They played pepball without any penetration. And got caught by pressure being applied in their half

Then being a goal down, he struggles with having to adapt to a different situation and fails to adjust tactics accordingly

We are in a different place than when the Anfield game was played

Remember PSG were supposed to be wanting Januzaj for £40m :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So by that logic, Mignolet and Karius are good goalkeepers?

I've no idea how you got that from my post :D

I wouldn't call quits on Karius yet as he's still young after moving to a new league, he was voted the second best keeper in Germany last year by his peers but he has started very poorly.

We no Ming isn't good enough to be first choice, although he's done very well since coming back into the team this year, so by the summer I'd say we might end up looking for a new Keeper if Karius hasn't improved.

Both our keepers are prone to massive mistakes and costs us a few points each season.

Look at De Gea, I'd say he hasn't cost yous more that 3 points in the last few seasons with individual errors but has saved you loads of points when called upon. That's something we don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    City really didn't try and bypass it. They played pepball without any penetration. And got caught by pressure being applied in their half

Then being a goal down, he struggles with having to adapt to a different situation and fails to adjust tactics accordingly

We are in a different place than when the Anfield game was played

I thought they did try bypass our press by switching play quickly but maybe your right. They did struggle once that went 1-0 down.

Yea ye have improved massively since the Anfield game. You'll attack a lot more as well that your at home and that should suit us a bit more so hopefully it'll lead to be a decent game to watch from behind the sofa :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ohh god no i thought he was dull even Phill gave more tactical insight then phelan...

Phil Neville is one of the worst pundits operating on Tv at present, he is absolutely appalling.

Everything is to the extremes with him. Everything is a "brilliant goal"

Like saying Mata is one of the first names of the teamsheet, then having to correct himself realising thats clearly not the case.

There must be people out there trying to get into broadcast media absolutely distraught that football on TV is just being stockpiled with rubbish ex-pro opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoc wrote: »
    Phil Neville is one of the worst pundits operating on Tv at present, he is absolutely appalling.

Everything is to the extremes with him. Everything is a "brilliant goal"

Like saying Mata is one of the first names of the teamsheet, then having to correct himself realising thats clearly not the case.

There must be people out there trying to get into broadcast media absolutely distraught that football on TV is just being stockpiled with rubbish ex-pro opinion

I agree with you he is terrible so that tells you how bad I think phelan was :)

And yehh i would love to see a different angle to pundits other then the ex pro looking to keep their name alive and out there but the majority of football viewers just want names they know. I'd like to see some football writers on match panels see how good they are when dont have time to think about what they writing.

I thought they did try bypass our press by switching play quickly but maybe your right. They did struggle once that went 1-0 down.

Yea ye have improved massively since the Anfield game. You'll attack a lot more as well that your at home and that should suit us a bit more so hopefully it'll lead to be a decent game to watch from behind the sofa :pac:

This is true, im expecting a lot more from both sides, im hoping this is a tasty game but much like yourself ill probably struggle to enjoy it unless it's a 4-0 rout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think City tried to bypass the press and we dealt with that ok. Hard to know how it's going to play out.

/QUOTE]

They didn't really .Added to the fact they were totally out of sorts ,Liverpool had an incredibly comfortable 90 minutes.

Remember PSG were supposed to be wanting Januzaj for £40m :pac:

Remember when some people jumped to call him the best youth prospect in Europe?

Laughable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

In the dark days of the moyes era people were looking for any glimmer of hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i thinkhe was a fantastic prospect, who didn't progress at all from when he burst on to the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think Nandos-gate rocked his confidence and he never really recovered. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He was great prospect but if those rumours at time were true no wonder he never going make it.

3-4 years ago people were hoping Cleverly and Rodwell would be our future Midfield.

The Dark Ages is what I call it now. Me included, we all sank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Remember when some people jumped to call him the best youth prospect in Europe?

Laughable stuff.

He was. Do you know what a prospect is??

I've no idea how you got that from my post :D

You were using goals conceded when arguing a case for the Liverpool defence when someone said they weren't that good. You wouldn't do it with a goalkeeper though...

Mitigating factors is all I'm getting at. Have the Liverpool defenders being very good or have they not been tested often enough, numbers don't tell you that.

I believe that if you get at the Liverpool defence they will be exposed. It's getting at them that's the tricky part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

3-4 years ago people were hoping Cleverly and Rodwell would be our future Midfield.

In fairness I think that most people knew full well that Cleverley would never be good enough, it was only a few clowns that thought otherwise.

But I would say, there is little point people now laughing at Januzaj and how overvalued he was, not when so many clearly haven't learnt from that and continue to over rate all our players today. Remember, we have the best first 11 and the best squad and all our players would walk into any PL team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Getting ready for the Sunday Match thread

giphy.gif

In fairness I think that most people knew full well that Cleverley would never be good enough, it was only a few clowns that thought otherwise.

But I would say, there is little point people now laughing at Januzaj and how overvalued he was, not when so many clearly haven't learnt from that and continue to over rate all our players today. Remember, we have the best first 11 and the best squad and all our players would walk into any PL team...

In fairness it was only 3 people at most.

Most of us understand where we are and why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mark Ogden saying that the club will push to sign Bakayoko in this window.Seeing as Schneiderlin is leaving and Bastian is just a bit part player we are light enough in central midfield.We are just an injury or 2 away from being very short there.Carrick can't play every week and we need to plan for the time he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

zerks wrote: »
    Mark Ogden saying that the club will push to sign Bakayoko in this window.Seeing as Schneiderlin is leaving and Bastian is just a bit part player we are light enough in central midfield.We are just an injury or 2 away from being very short there.Carrick can't play every week and we need to plan for the time he leaves.

Would be unreal to have a new signing seen as Schneiderlin never got used.

Please be true.

Please please please. Im telling ya now he be great signing. And ye can print that.

Edit: dont worry i see the slight irony in my post following the trend of debate last page or so.

Reading the below, maybe we can get good value for our want aways, by the mere fact Ferguson isn't doing favours left right and centre :D

http://www.football365.com/news/man-united-cast-offs-the-five-biggest-buyers

Jayop wrote: »
    He was. Do you know what a prospect is??

I really didn't see anything from Januzaj that we had seen dozens of times before. As mentioned above, there was exaggeration because of how desperate that campaign was.

But there was some extraordinary superlatives put to him that I distinctly disagreed with.

Please be true.

Please please please. Im telling ya now he be great signing. And ye can print that.

Edit: dont worry i see the slight irony in my post following the trend of debate last page or so.

Learn from my Memphis experience, employ the wait and see :D

Quotes appearing from Jose
    “I am convinced that in this winter market we will be sellers and not buyers,” he told Sport TV. “We want to raise pounds to attack in the summer, as we did this year by signing four players.”

• Advertisement

I really didn't see anything from Januzaj that we had seen dozens of times before. As mentioned above, there was exaggeration because of how desperate that campaign was.

But there was some extraordinary superlatives put to him that I distinctly disagreed with.

He was terrific in that game against Sunderland. I even remember few had bet on him at big odds to get MOTM.

While many got carried away I do think he had serious ability to improve and I think he showed it, but his attitude really let him down.

My thinking is that a player like Bakayoko is a primary target and if we can get a deal done now, then great, if we have to wait til the summer then Jose is willing to wait rather than change targets.

Regardless of what Jose says publicly, I would be very surprised if we don't buy anybody this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Didn't Jose say a couple of weeks ago that we would only buy in the window if we have had departures?

With Morgan on his way and possibly Memphis it seems unlikely there isn't a contingency in the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Any one else get a bit weepy at the Feliani and Jose embrace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wouldn't the new signing be coming in the knowledge he's only a squad player? The reason Morgan left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I hope we get a penalty in the return leg against Hull or in the cup game against Wigan so Rooney can take it and break Bobby Charlton's record because we could be a long time waiting for the ball to ricochet off him into the net again.

Then he can go off to China for a world record fee as Utd's greatestest player in ever and ever, Utd can go buy Griezmann and everyone is happy. :)

Wouldn't the new signing be coming in the knowledge he's only a squad player? The reason Morgan left?

More likely he will have the knowledge that as we need to replace Carrick there is a midfield place very much up for grabs. Hopefully any new signing would be up for that challenge in a way that Morgan wasn't.

Well, no.

Surely the new signing would be coming with the knowledge they have to fight for their place - as Bailly has said he needs to do, as Mkhitaryan did.

My assumption would be a CM signing would be with the plan to replace Carrick - Jose not believing Schneiderlin up to the task has no impact on a new signing.

• Advertisement

I don't think a new signing would be anyway the same midfielder as Morgan so he wouldn't be taking his squad position.

I think the problem with Morgan was jose Didn't see him as a proper defensive midfielder he is more advanced and at his best going forward and he can tackle also but not disaplined enough to play where Carrick is.

If we signed bakayoko we are gaining a defensive midfielder to compete with Carrick and we are loosing a midfielder that's about 6th choice so it's more squad options and less need for ander to play there when Carrick is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

anything to be said for trying to get William Carvalho in!!!!!!!
    he's portugese and and his agent is that guy mendes that brought in that jose guy who is over us
    nah silly me!!!!!
    i'm an idiot!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

That young renato Sanchez would have been a great buy pity bayern got their mits on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What age is strootman now?

Any one else get a bit weepy at the Feliani and Jose embrace?

Bangkok when he finally realised Fellaini is going nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Do I have a vague recollection of him being the solution to all our problems but then he blew his knee out or is that someone else?

26 with a body of a 60 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Korat wrote: »
    I hope we get a penalty in the return leg against Hull or in the cup game against Wigan so Rooney can take it and break Bobby Charlton's record because we could be a long time waiting for the ball to ricochet off him into the net again.

Then he can go off to China for a world record fee as Utd's greatestest player in ever and ever, Utd can go buy Griezmann and everyone is happy. :)

I hope we get a penalty against Liverpool.

We are so overdue a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

RobertKK wrote: »
    I hope we get a penalty against Liverpool.

We are so overdue a penalty.

Nah we've had 4 million off side goals this season. Refs owe us nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Jayop wrote: »
    Nah we've had 4 million off side goals this season. Refs owe us nothing.

I wanna see a United off - side goal given on Sunday just for the lols

QONVIyz.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement