Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

J. Marston wrote: »
    People are exaggerating their defensive problems. I'm more worried about the fact that they've scored almost 20 goals more than us.

They concede a few, yeah, but they're more than capable of rectifying those mistakes.

Meh
    Just feel you are being overly negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats not the point and doesn't refute what I said at all.

That's the point I was making initially. I probably worded it poorly.

At the start of the season I wouldn't have imagined Klavan playing as many games as he has, unfortunately with injuries he's been called on a lot.

It's ok that he's not as good as Matip and Sahko/Lovern because normally he would have been playing a handful of games and would have been needed to do a job in those games as cover and then the main guys come back in.

I think we will be signing another CB in the summer to strengthen the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Couldn't really have asked for the midweek fixtures to have gone any better. Day extra rest for us and a comfortable stroll against Hull while Liverpool, who may still equalise/win, are forced into a draining match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liverpool are blessed here not to be 2-0 down. If it stays 1-0 id put them as favourites to reach the final still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Couldn't really have asked for the midweek fixtures to have gone any better. Day extra rest for us and a comfortable stroll against Hull while Liverpool, who may still equalise/win, are forced into a draining match.

We might as well have had the night off with the effort they've made tonight. Second to every ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The mocking gods don't reward gloating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

68% possession and 2 shots on target.

Seems familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jurgen VanKlopp?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

First time in years I'm actually massively confident we can beat Liverpool.

Which is probably stupid and I'll end up looking foolish :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Lord TSC wrote: »
    First time in years I'm actually massively confident we can beat Liverpool.

Which is probably stupid and I'll end up looking foolish :P

I'm confident too, but not massively so. Don't forget both teams were crap in the first game. Sunday will be tight and nervy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Anything that happens before United Vs Pool matches in terms of form never matter on the day, they can always go either way! Hoping United can do the business though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Will be a very different team on Sunday compared to either tonight or Sundays mishaps, Klopp seems very much focused on the league with these cup games being a distraction, Jose on the other hand wants it all and for the first time in ages maybe we can has nice things again.

Cup treble and third place or higher is within our grasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We're in good form and since the City game they've hit a sticky patch. That said it's only really been two games for them as the Plymouth game doesn't really count. Sunderland 2-2 away and Southampton 1-0 away. Bad results both of them and pretty awful performances (I didn't see the game tonight but going by the match thread). It doesn't suddenly make them a bad team and they will be well up for proving a point against us.

We're in the best form for years and going for ten wins in a row in all comps which is great, but we've not been blowing everyone away during this run. The last two teams have been rubbish so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them. What I did like though was even in games where things have gone against us like the Boro game you still had the faith we could do it.

I suppose to give a predication for the game at the weekend you'd have to say we're favorites. At home, on a great run with all but Bailly available to the manager. Liverpool haven't won a game yet in 2017 and have a lot of injuries and a vital player away in Mane. I'm going to predict a 3-1 win for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bangkok be delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Form goes out the window for Utd Liverpool match, could go either way but I'm highly confident about a home win.

United Win and an Everton win would be unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bangkok be delighted

Over the moon.

bangkok wrote: »
    Over the moon.

I guess management see something you don't pal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ronaldo on 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You are as bad as him for never giving it a break.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are as bad as him for never giving it a break.

I could think of worse posters to be compaired to...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I could think of worse posters to be compaired to...

Touché

Pro. F wrote: »
    Touché

Not at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

ShaneU wrote: »

Just good financial decision as his contract was up this year , now we can get a fee, however reduced it may be , rather than nothing at all. Not an unusual move in the last year of a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

secman wrote: »
    Just good financial decision as his contract was up this year , now we can get a fee, however reduced it may be , rather than nothing at all. Not an unusual move in the last year of a contract.

Was thinking the same, is it from a selling on point

Hococop wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, is it from a selling on point

He could have walked in the summer, no fee. Now it's 18 months left, hardly an endorsement , but covers the club for a fee.

Like making sure we can get a fee for him :) just a good financial decision, simple economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Great to see Jayo and Prof getting over past differences but there's a need for some broader bonhomme to undo some of the nasty stuff that has gone before. :)

Like making sure we can get a fee for him :) just a good financial decision, simple economics.

He is going nowhere not a hope.

• Advertisement

He is going nowhere not a hope.

So why didn't they give him a 3 to 4 year extension on the contract ? Looks like a bit of hedging by just doing the 1 year extension.
    Anyways roll on Sunday and hopefully we give the scousers a spanking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He could have walked in the summer

Yes he could have. But instead he signed a contract.

At 29 years old it would have been a golden opportunity for him to make one last big move with a massive "free transfer" signing on fee and don't anybody kid themselves, there would have been a lot of clubs interested in his signature.

Instead he signs an extension that gives control back to the club.

And some fans want to boo this guy? :rolleyes:

So why didn't they give him a 3 to 4 year extension on the contract ?

They had an option for a year which makes it 18 months left on his contract I don't see what the rush was?

He will be nearly 31 by time his contract is up and as far as I know the club still don't do long term contracts in the 30s only on a very rare occasion.

What's the point in giving a 3rd or 4th choice midfielder a contract into his mid 30s? He aint that good.

Korat wrote: »
    Great to see Jayo and Prof getting over past differences but there's a need for some broader bonhomme to undo some of the nasty stuff that has gone before. :)

What the fook? Haha

They had an option for a year which makes it 18 months left on his contract I don't see what the rush was?

He will be nearly 31 by time his contract is up and as far as I know the club still don't do long term contracts in the 30s only on a very rare occasion.

What's the point in giving a 3rd or 4th choice midfielder a contract into his mid 30s? He aint that good.

Exactly..mind you I won't complain if he get a winner on Sunday , :):)

Exactly..mind you I won't complain if he get a winner on Sunday , :):)

Anyone get the winner id be happy as long as it's for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Did anyone see Liverpool lost 1.0 tonight. Just didn't want to let it go in case there is any Liverpool fans in here tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,595 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They were dire and should really have lost 3-0.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While its always amusing to see the Scouse lose, particularly when all available players play, Sunday is an altogether different proposition.

They will be massively up for the game and as we have seen in the past, form goes out the window in the fixture.

Hopefully Jose's comments the other night will help create a really loud atmosphere.

We have more than enough quality to turn them over and clearly have a better squad but they have had 18 months playing together so are probably a better team. I hope Tony M starts and we go at them from the get go.

We were more than able for them at Anfield and that was very early in Jose's tenure. The team have a lot of games under their belt now so there is no excuse to not go at them from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TC23 on the move again. Medical at Watford as he goes on loan.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/819442921061675012

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Often wondered why they weren't used in EPL see it at a lot of Europe and international games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We can get even more angles as Zlatan scores an offside winner after kung fu kicking Marius into the net in the 94th minute. :)

Sorry if mentioned but have just seen a crazy stat, Utd would have an additional 8 points this season if all their shots that hit the post had gone in, which would be 2nd place.

Now, those shots didn't go in obviously, but bodes well that the chances are being created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Pogba would have some goal montage if the shots that came off the woodwork went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People are exaggerating their defensive problems. I'm more worried about the fact that they've scored almost 20 goals more than us.

They concede a few, yeah, but they're more than capable of rectifying those mistakes.

The defensive problems arn't exaggerated. While statistically they are nearly on par with Arsenal in terms of goals conceeded, Liverpool tend to swarm a lot of the teams below them.

A big benefit they get from their pressing style and aggressive style in the final third, is that it reduces the chances of teams breaking on them, or building attacks against them. It's clever.

I don't for a second believe its intentional to cover up their defence, likely that defence will get sorted in time.

But its the glaring weakness in the team, so glaring. You just watch when they DO get attacked and there is panic, uncertainty and a totally unconvincing display.

So the thought process being, either play through their press, or bypass it, and just get their defence on the back foot and likely it will buckle.

We have a team technically capable of doing this in a variety of types. Don't forget it was Van Gaal who utilised Fellaini brilliantly to bypass Klopps press entirely ;)

In the current team, Pogba's and Carrick's range of passing (Pogba is really coming to the fore as the season is going on, that passing range, really behind the defence, penetrative stuff) is a good tool as one of them deep (likely Carrick) can cut the press.

Problem I'll have for Sunday is I'll see Carrick in CM, I think he bottles it a bit in big games, and he tends to get easily harassed under pressure, which likely Liverpool will do. So if he gets off to a ropey start we could be in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sorry if mentioned but have just seen a crazy stat, Utd would have an additional 8 points this season if all their shots that hit the post had gone in, which would be 2nd place.

Now, those shots didn't go in obviously, but bodes well that the chances are being created.

But that has been the issue this season no?

Chances created hasn't been a problem at all, it's finishing them that killed us and caused so many dropped points.

I'd love to get an insight into how coaches and managers deal with that, or improve that. Obviously players dont miss chances on purpose. But there is a trend this season of us hammering teams and then the crowd or the team (or both) getting tetchy as it continues 0-0. Hull had a little feeling of that on Tuesday.

Obviously players miss chances, you don't expect players to have a conversion rate mental high. I think end of the season the best conversion rates are only ever in the 30%'s or something (Where is Pro.F, he can confirm that stuff)

But you always put down for world class strikers being the ones that can stick away a chance when you really need it. Even though end of season it might still only be 27-30%. Grand scheme of things, 1 in 3 is actually pretty incredible.

Would love to see what drills or training is done to sort this, and if it's positional, technical or mental.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The defensive problems arn't exaggerated. While statistically they are nearly on par with Arsenal in terms of goals conceeded, Liverpool tend to swarm a lot of the teams below them.

A big benefit they get from their pressing style and aggressive style in the final third, is that it reduces the chances of teams breaking on them, or building attacks against them. It's clever.

I don't for a second believe its intentional to cover up their defence, likely that defence will get sorted in time.

But its the glaring weakness in the team, so glaring. You just watch when they DO get attacked and there is panic, uncertainty and a totally unconvincing display.

So the thought process being, either play through their press, or bypass it, and just get their defence on the back foot and likely it will buckle.

We have a team technically capable of doing this in a variety of types. Don't forget it was Van Gaal who utilised Fellaini brilliantly to bypass Klopps press entirely ;)

In the current team, Pogba's and Carrick's range of passing (Pogba is really coming to the fore as the season is going on, that passing range, really behind the defence, penetrative stuff) is a good tool as one of them deep (likely Carrick) can cut the press.

Problem I'll have for Sunday is I'll see Carrick in CM, I think he bottles it a bit in big games, and he tends to get easily harassed under pressure, which likely Liverpool will do. So if he gets off to a ropey start we could be in a spot of bother.

Where does this myth that Carrick bottles big games come from?
    Point out when it happened last?
    Did he bottle it when we won at home to Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bilic saying Payet doesn't want to play for West Ham.

United were linked with a move to him a bit earlier in the season. With Memphis not getting game (probably because he wants out or is about to be sold) I wonder if Mourinho would want a new wide/creative player - it seemed like something that we could do with but we have Martial, Rashford, Mata, Mkhitaryan and Lingard all competing for that position, or as back up to it. Also, with Payet being 29 (30 before the season ends) it may be too short term a signing for United in a position they are not crying out for numbers in.

Bilic saying Payet doesn't want to play for West Ham.

United were linked with a move to him a bit earlier in the season. With Memphis not getting game (probably because he wants out or is about to be sold) I wonder if Mourinho would want a new wide/creative player - it seemed like something that we could do with but we have Martial, Rashford, Mata, Mkhitaryan and Lingard all competing for that position, or as back up to it. Also, with Payet being 29 (30 before the season ends) it may be too short term a signing for United in a position they are not crying out for numbers in.

Better players in same position
    Payet has proven to be lazy, we don't need that in the team either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement