Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Better players in same position
    Payet has proven to be lazy, we don't need that in the team either

I would like his skills and free kicks at United though.

Marseilles have been linked with bringing him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bilic saying Payet doesn't want to play for West Ham.

United were linked with a move to him a bit earlier in the season. With Memphis not getting game (probably because he wants out or is about to be sold) I wonder if Mourinho would want a new wide/creative player - it seemed like something that we could do with but we have Martial, Rashford, Mata, Mkhitaryan and Lingard all competing for that position, or as back up to it. Also, with Payet being 29 (30 before the season ends) it may be too short term a signing for United in a position they are not crying out for numbers in.

Was literally about to post how some fans seemed enticed by the prospect when we were linked with him previously.

his performances, demeanour and this latest, should be all the signals required to confirm this player has no place at our club.

When you consider people formed myths and prejudice against Memphis for "attitude" how are fans going to react to someone with an actual attitude problem?

And by all accounts has had this problem throughout this career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Where does this myth that Carrick bottles big games come from?
    Point out when it happened last?
    Did he bottle it when we won at home to Spurs?

Carrick has absolutely been a problem in big games and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another example of it on Sunday. Carrick is fine when in space but struggles when put under pressure and if Klopp has anything about him he will have his team put a world of pressure on Carrick and disrupt our play from there. Que Carrick passing back more often than not, our forward unit looking disjointed and isolated and come Monday everybody disappointed and wondering why we looked so poor.

Its suits Liverpool's strengths to do this and I would be very surprised if they don't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bilic saying Payet doesn't want to play for West Ham.

United were linked with a move to him a bit earlier in the season. With Memphis not getting game (probably because he wants out or is about to be sold) I wonder if Mourinho would want a new wide/creative player - it seemed like something that we could do with but we have Martial, Rashford, Mata, Mkhitaryan and Lingard all competing for that position, or as back up to it. Also, with Payet being 29 (30 before the season ends) it may be too short term a signing for United in a position they are not crying out for numbers in.

Wants a move back to Marseilles apparently. If he was younger, maybe. But right now, I think he'd only be an expensive short term option.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were after a wide option for the left; Martial doesn't seem like he's favoured massively by Jose, Lingard isn't good enough for the firs team, Mata and Mkhi tend to play on the right and Rashford seems like a bench player right now.

I think we'll wait and go after Griezman in the summer. Thought I'd love to have a cheeky go for Sanchez with all the rumours about him at Arsenal. Although he too is a bit older, he's an incredible player I'd love to get.

Where does this myth that Carrick bottles big games come from?
    Point out when it happened last?
    Did he bottle it when we won at home to Spurs?

It's an opinion I've formed from watching him for, you know, his entire career at United.

He has a tendency, for a player lauded for being a calming and composed presence, to be easily harried and pressured.

Last big game I witnessed it was West Ham away last season. He came on at half time to stem what was a rising West Ham tied, and was just anonymous for the 45 minutes and got completely overun and couldn't build anything going forward from the pressure being applied on him.

I'm of the belief that in games where there is pressure applied on him he can be a bit of a liability. There is numerous CL games he cost us down the years in the same capacity.

That's not a massive criticism of the player, it can happen to anyone. But I find it more grating then normal because Carrick receives this over exuberant "he's a calming presence" and "like a Royles Royce" which are just ridiculous superlatives heaped on from former team mates or English bias media/punditry.

Carrick is that weird subject matter again where I feel in the minority. I don't dislike the player, I don't think he is a bad player. I'm just sick and tired of him being postered as the solution to a problem, where fans,media etc just entirely ignore the other variables. Basically Carrick is productive and at his best when a very certain scenario presents itself. And that is a scenario he himself cannot construct, its reliant on other variables. And therefore I get massively pissed of when people just ignore those other things (that seems obvious to me) and heap praise on him

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wants a move back to Marseilles apparently. If he was younger, maybe. But right now, I think he'd only be an expensive short term option.

I wouldn't be shocked if we were after a wide option for the left; Martial doesn't seem like he's favoured massively by Jose, Lingard isn't good enough for the firs team, Mata and Mkhi tend to play on the right and Rashford seems like a bench player right now.

I think we'll wait and go after Griezman in the summer. Thought I'd love to have a cheeky go for Sanchez with all the rumours about him at Arsenal. Although he too is a bit older, he's an incredible player I'd love to get.

Mentioned this previously, sounds like its worth a punt if nothing happens by summer.

And you'd only know Jose would love to take away Wengers prized asset :D

I would like his skills and free kicks at United though.

Marseilles have been linked with bringing him back.

Pogba can take a great free kick
    Miki is more skillfull and has more pace
    Same could be said for a developing martial

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's an opinion I've formed from watching him for, you know, his entire career at United.

He has a tendency, for a player lauded for being a calming and composed presence, to be easily harried and pressured.

Last big game I witnessed it was West Ham away last season. He came on at half time to stem what was a rising West Ham tied, and was just anonymous for the 45 minutes and got completely overun and couldn't build anything going forward from the pressure being applied on him.

I'm of the belief that in games where there is pressure applied on him he can be a bit of a liability. There is numerous CL games he cost us down the years in the same capacity.

That's not a massive criticism of the player, it can happen to anyone. But I find it more grating then normal because Carrick receives this over exuberant "he's a calming presence" and "like a Royles Royce" which are just ridiculous superlatives heaped on from former team mates or English bias media/punditry.

Carrick is that weird subject matter again where I feel in the minority. I don't dislike the player, I don't think he is a bad player. I'm just sick and tired of him being postered as the solution to a problem, where fans,media etc just entirely ignore the other variables. Basically Carrick is productive and at his best when a very certain scenario presents itself. And that is a scenario he himself cannot construct, its reliant on other variables. And therefore I get massively pissed of when people just ignore those other things (that seems obvious to me) and heap praise on him
    So it happened once that you can recall last season for 45 minutes against west ham with a different midfield and manager than we have now?
    I just think you completely underestimate him
    He's playing some of his best football consistently this season and against big teams to boot
    Still think this "big game mentality" is a load off bull****e
    That saying has been used on a wide range of players from a mix of teams and could also be considered nonsense
    The midfield trio at present all complement each other perfectly however there are variables that effect all types of players
    We get the best out of Pogba when he plays dm IMO
    Does that mean that Pogba wouldn't be good enough without him? No it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I suspect we have zero interest in Payet, and we already have Griezmann lined up for the summer.
    It will be interesting to see if Jose brings in a CDM to carry the workload with Carrick, or if he will put more reliance on Fosu-Mensah to give Carrick the rest he needs.
    I am not a big fan of Herrera or Fellaini in that position. They are better further forward imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

FC-Bayern-Muenchen-v-Borussia-Moenchengladbach-Bundesliga-For-DFL.jpg

Sky Sports will use Spidercam in the Premier League for the first time this weekend's showdown between Manchester United and Liverpool .

The innovation will see a camera suspended above the pitch via four wires attached to each corner of the ground and maneuvered by an operator to follow the action.

It will vary from between 10 and 40 metres above the pitch.

The structure at Old Trafford was given council approval on Monday and the footage is set to become a key component of the Sky coverage.

So it happened once that you can recall last season for 45 minutes against west ham with a different midfield and manager than we have now?
    Well no I could keep going, you just asked last time :)
    I just think you completely underestimate him
    I believe I rate him accurately. I don't subscribe to him being an irreplaceable key player, and I don't claim him to be a poor player for our level.

But I for one second won't subscribe to the notion he, and he alone, is the reason our draws turned into wins(nevermind the fact he was present for some draws)
    He's playing some of his best football consistently this season and against big teams to boot
    He's playing good football for sure. But he's doing it, in the scenario, where he always did well. This is not the scenario that will really kick the team on imo.
    Still think this "big game mentality" is a load off bull****e
    i'm not questioning his mentality. Don't twist my words to say I think he is a bottler. I think he can be easily harrassed and pressed into conservative play or mistakes, as has been shown in countless big games. The reason its big games, is because its typically teams who will threaten us. Not a game where we enjoy majority possession and the result is something assured.
    That saying has been used on a wide range of players from a mix of teams and could also be considered nonsense
    OK so you have misread or I've mistyped. It's not a big occasion bottler, I'm talking about in big games, where he doesn't get to sit there and play the game at his own pace, he occasionally comes up well short

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Sky Sports will use Spidercam

Wow that's cool! and entirely out of the blue

It's a class angle to replay goals from that you see a lot on Germany and Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Wow that's cool! and entirely out of the blue

It's a class angle to replay goals from that you see a lot on Germany and Spain

More info

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sky-sports-debut-spidercam-manchester-9607901

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I hope the weather doesn't affect the game on Sunday,flights etc. already cancelled in UK due to snow.

Here's Oldham this morning.

3C11970C00000578-4111744-image-m-17_1484207768659.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It should be milder by then in the northwest of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    I hope the weather doesn't affect the game on Sunday,flights etc. already cancelled in UK due to snow.

Here's Oldham this morning.

3C11970C00000578-4111744-image-m-17_1484207768659.jpg

I bloody hope not im flying out Saturday evening :(

@Doc, Just to clarify, I meant big game player not big game mentality so apologies if misunderstood

@Doc, Just to clarify, I meant big game player not big game mentality so apologies if misunderstood

Ah cool, and I'm not calling him a big game bottler in say the way people portray Ozil or the likes.

I just feel in scenarios where we are in a more even contest, he isn't as productive an asset.

Thats why I'll be interested to see if the new DM Jose signs(convinced he will) will be a sort of smooth slick DM like a Carrick, Alonso or Pirlo, or if it's a beasty machine like an Essien, Makelle, W.Carvalho etc. I think we can "maybe" extrapolate some ideas of Jose's thinking based on what type he buys.

That idea being maybe that in tight games or big opposition games, you need a battler in there. A serious machine to break up play and win tackles. Where as for the rest, the machine can simply lay the ball off to more creative players and let them take over, as we likely dominate possesion in those same games.

The slicker DM like a Carrick is great in the scenarios "against" the rest, where the play builds from deeper and quicker and with the time they get on the ball coupled with their ability, its a serious weapon. But when it comes to the tight games and they don't get the time and space, are they a really big asset?

That's my thinking on it anyway, and how I in my own interpretation break down the two types of DM I think there are. Some can be a cross or a mix, some squads might have one of each, and if your lucky you have someone that does it all brilliantly (ie. Keane, Viera)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

spidercam-euro2012.jpg

They are so cool for corners and free kicks

• Advertisement

Lukekul wrote: »
    spidercam-euro2012.jpg

Anybody here old enough to remember Sensible Soccer?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvnNUooWFnyI-cIZ49p2paoAlgZ45VbNDmj-Xth_NkBK2CaHg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Best football game ever made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jayop wrote: »

Loved the way they changed the players names by substituting the vowels with other Vowels.

Maldini would become Muldana or something

They brought SWOS on the 360 a while back.. was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

astradave wrote: »
    Loved the way they changed the players names by substituting the vowels with other Vowels.

Maldini would become Muldana or something

They brought SWOS on the 360 a while back.. was brilliant

Raan goggs. :)

SteM wrote: »
    Raan goggs. :)

Rayne Wooney ;) who would use a stupid name Like that

Lukekul wrote: »
    spidercam-euro2012.jpg

I wonder which player will be the first to hit the camera with a high ball.

Think we had conversation about this before lol but used to spend more time changing players and teams names then actually playing it.

134879_championship_soccer_94_genesis_screenshot.gifimg host

zorro2566 wrote: »

Zlatan will hit it with a flying kick while trying to go for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

jayo26 wrote: »
    Rayne Wooney ;) who would use a stupid name Like that

Only a headcase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Think we had conversation about this before lol but used to spend more time changing players and teams names then actually playing it.

134879_championship_soccer_94_genesis_screenshot.gifimg host

My favorite was disk errors. Banana in disk drive at central midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jayop wrote: »

Clearly you never had this in your life!

Old Ronaldo was called radondo if I can remember
    Either that or I'm thinking of a different game
    Still have SS on PC somewhere, must dig it out for lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Zlatan will hit it with a flying kick while trying to go for the ball.

Zlatan will play a one two off it and score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

zorro2566 wrote: »

I'm going with Ander with his trademark blasting the ball miles over from outside the box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I got 5/8 which is poor enough.

What we want to know, are the names of the eight men that have found the net the most times between 1997 and 2017 in league encounters between United and Liverpool.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/you-wont-get-full-marks-in-this-manchester-united-vs-liverpool-goalscorers-quiz/107023

jaykay74 wrote: »

What we want to know, are the names of the eight men that have found the net the most times between 1997 and 2017 in league encounters.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/you-wont-get-full-marks-in-this-manchester-united-vs-liverpool-goalscorers-quiz/107023

Got 6/8 didn't get
    Kuyt or Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Favourite football game ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PES5 or PES6 on the PS2 was my favourite soccer game. Loved playing Random Selection matches with my mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Got 6/8 didn't get

I remembered those two but not
    RVP and Gerrard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

PES5 or PES6 on the PS2 was my favourite soccer game. Loved playing Random Selection matches with my mates.

Was that when you pick four or 5 teams and it gives you like 22 random players from them? What a feature!!

Absolutely loved PES 5&6 and then it went extremely downhill and Fifa took over.. I believe they are getting back on track lately but haven't picked one up since PES8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jaykay74 wrote: »

What we want to know, are the names of the eight men that have found the net the most times between 1997 and 2017 in league encounters between United and Liverpool.

Got five for sure. Does it not show answers? There's two I guessed but couldn't spell :P

Completely forgot
    RVP
    :o

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Got five for sure. Does it not show answers? There's two I guessed but couldn't spell :P

Completely forgot
    RVP
    :o

I gave up with about 10 seconds to go as i couldn't think and the other answers popped up

Absolutely loved PES 5&6 and then it went extremely downhill and Fifa took over.. I believe they are getting back on track lately but haven't picked one up since PES8

Get PES 2017 and a decent option file and you are in for a treat,it leaves FIFA in the ha'penny place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cool video on Park. He has no interest in coaching, he's going to University instead...

https://streamable.com/dsl8b

• Advertisement

*Looks at the people that thanked post, creates age profiling*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cool video on Park. He has no interest in coaching, he's going to University instead...

https://streamable.com/dsl8b

That video just reminded me how great he was and probably never appreciated

*Looks at the people that thanked post, creates age profiling*
    hqdefault.jpg
    If you want to do age profiling here is the first ever football game I played :) c64 for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

United should send a car to Liverpool to pick up Firmino so he doesn't get someone killed on the way to Old Trafford :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement