Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

zerks wrote: »
    Get PES 2017 and a decent option file and you are in for a treat,it leaves FIFA in the ha'penny place.

PES 2017 is a phenomenal game, best soccer sim since FIFA 12. Not as nice as FIFA in terms presentation or game modes, but as far as the gameplay goes, PES 2017 is unparalleled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MagicIRL wrote: »
    United should send a car to Liverpool to pick up Firmino so he doesn't get someone killed on the way to Old Trafford :pac:

Pick up Coutinho and drop him to barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg
    If you want to do age profiling here is the first ever football game I played :) c64 for the win.

I had an Amstrad.Not so easy to play on a green screen.

zerks wrote: »
    I had an Amstrad.Not so easy to play on a green screen.

Some graphics tho if you squint it was like the real Thing.

Amstrad vs commodore was like xbox vs playstation now i think wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Everton confirm 24 million pound signing of schneiderlain according to sky sports. Happy days, good to recoup most of the fee

https://mobile.twitter.com/Everton/status/819590428978712576

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

In terms of fees received by United apart from Ronaldo to Madrid are there any others to top 24m? Can't think of any at the moment but maybe my brain isn't engaged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Beckham was 25/30 iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Di Maria...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Di Maria...

Oh yeah, him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Di Maria...

Oh yeah, blanked him from my memory.

Just shows how bad we are at selling players when you look at the stars we have had the next highest fee received after Morgan is Danny Welbeck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Think I saw he's our forth highest fee recieved for a player, after Ronaldo, DiMaria and Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

hqdefault.jpg
    If you want to do age profiling here is the first ever football game I played :) c64 for the win.

**** man international soccer. A princess used to come out and present the cup if you won. May have been a queen. Had it on a cartridge with flimbos quest, klax and fiendish freddie circus something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Di Maria...

bAjxhTH.gif

In fairness, United are rarely in a situation where big clubs are trying to wrestle players off them or the important players are looking to leave.

You can't ask for top dollar for players you don't want or need so that fee for Schneiderlin is daycent.

Oh and Emlyn Hughes' Soccer was the greatest football game ever made.

Dafuq!

niallo27 wrote: »
    **** man international soccer. A princess used to come out and present the cup if you won. May have been a queen. Had it on a cartridge with flimbos quest, klax and fiendish freddie circus something like that.

Yehh I dont remember klax but it had the other two. Fiendish frieddie was great craic all the circus acts.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Dafuq!

Sh*ts all over International/Sensible/Microprose Soccer.
    Class theme tune is a bonus.

Had it on the C64 and then got Sensi on the amiga and it was forgotten about :D

Dafuq!

It was a rebrand of the one I post ha very early games indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

There was a This Is Football title that you could dive if you hit all four of the back buttons at the same time. You'd be booked most of the time but every so often you'd get an undeserved peno and you're mate would go nuts it was great

There was a This Is Football title that you could dive if you hit all four of the back buttons at the same time. You'd be booked most of the time but every so often you'd get an undeserved peno and you're mate would go nuts it was great

That the one with Ashley Young on the cover?

You could do that in one of the fifa's too and it was a yellow card most times..

Indoor football in fifa 98 was the best add on in any football game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

astradave wrote: »
    You could do that in one of the fifa's too and it was a yellow card most times..

97 no?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    97 no?

Road to the world cup France 98 I thought..

Edit: was in 97 as well as 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

All the talk of the old footy games reminded me ill be able to play them all on my raspberry pi 3 when it gets to me ☺☺☺☺

All the talk of the old footy games reminded me ill be able to play them all on my raspberry pi 3 when it gets to me ☺☺☺☺

Was just thinking similar ha. I have a Sega emulator on my pc I must give it a whiz when the child in bed have about 800 games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

France 98 was my favorite soccer game.

It was ridiculously easy to injure players so turn the ref to blind and let the carnage commence.

We'd end up with literally the goal keepers as the only uninjured player.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see Rio Ferdinand was in Dublin today for the BT Young Scientists exhibition.

What I took from it is - Will Goodbody of RTE is a United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

astradave wrote: »

I'd have to say VGFUNK arcade soccer you could punch opposite team hack them down and get a streaker on. Brilliant game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Where does this myth that Carrick bottles big games come from?
    Point out when it happened last?
    Did he bottle it when we won at home to Spurs?

i asked the very same thing before and didnt really get an answer. Its nonsense. He had a poor game against the greatest club side in the history of the game, Barcelona final in rome and i think it comes from there. nothing about all his super performances in other big games down through the years.

carrick is an excellent player and is a united legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

bangkok wrote: »
    i asked the very same thing before and didnt really get an answer. Its nonsense. He had a poor game against the greatest club side in the history of the game, Barcelona final in rome and i think it comes from there. nothing about all his super performances in other big games down through the years.

Exactly...Look at the record with him in the team.

Was just thinking similar ha. I have a Sega emulator on my pc I must give it a whiz when the child in bed have about 800 games on it.

The missus picked me up one of these for a Xmas present

154553.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Championship Manager 1992 on Amstrad was greatest game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    The missus picked me up one of these for a Xmas present

I <3 MS astradave

She's a keeper

Ms Brinty got me a PS3.in lieu of an engagement ring back in the day,they were just out on release

Careful mentioning your other halves lads.

Wouldn't want to be seen to be bragging, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Rod Munch wrote:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

brinty wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

bangkok wrote: »

and he also played that final with a badly damaged ankle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Which of the games could you intentionally hack the opponent down by pushing a couple of buttons together? One of the FIFA's I think, I was more of a pro evo man so didn't have many FIFA's, they upped their game though over the years

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

This was the pinnacle of PS1 era gaming. Skill moves, and the camera showing gameplay from the controlled player's view. Many's the evening after school I spent doing the stepover and nutmeg of the keeper as Zenon Zadkine.:D

Don't know if the timed start works for embedding, but skip to 2m20s.

hqdefault.jpg

Ah...fúck yis all, I could do without the childhood nostalgia today! C64, I'll never forget opening the wrapping on Christmas morning 1990, mind blown for the very first time.

I put many hours into the 'Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager' game. I remember a name, 'I.Copeland', who would score at least once every game for my team guaranteed, he was a boss.

Now, near 30 years later, I google the game name and 'I. Copeland' for the craic. Turns out that 'I. Copeland' literally was a boss. The name of the coder for the game (yes, coder, it had one) is Ian Copeland. Cheeky bugger gave the best player in the game his own name :pac:

Makes me think about the original FIFA game for the Megadrive which I also loved. There was a player for Germany in that, Brian Plank, amazing, he was like Messi on PEDs! Now, I wonder.....

*goes to search Google for 'Fifa 94' and 'Brian Plank'*

Lol, yep, the guy was a programmer for the game. I know it isn't uncommon for writers to do this for certain characters in their works, but these guys made themselves overpowered Gods in those games :D

Rod Munch wrote: »

Infairness you were bragging about having a partner. Poor Mrs munch rod :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I remember that game. One year they had Rio on the cover, another had Robbie Keane.

It was ahead of it's time because it had Schoolboy leagues with jumpers for goalposts where you could progress on to the big leagues and you could play as classic teams like 68' Man United, 50's Real Madrid, 80's Liverpool etc.

Awesome game.

stankratz wrote: »
    Ah...fúck yis all, I could do without the childhood nostalgia today! C64, I'll never forget opening the wrapping on Christmas morning 1990, mind blown for the very first time.

I put many hours into the 'Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager' game. I remember a name, 'I.Copeland', who would score at least once every game for my team guaranteed, he was a boss.

Now, near 30 years later, I google the game name and 'I. Copeland' for the craic. Turns out that 'I. Copeland' literally was a boss. The name of the coder for the game (yes, coder, it had one) is Ian Copeland. Cheeky bugger gave the best player in the game his own name :pac:

Makes me think about the original FIFA game for the Megadrive which I also loved. There was a player for Germany in that, Brian Plank, amazing, he was like Messi on PEDs! Now, I wonder.....

*goes to search Google for 'Fifa 94' and 'Brian Plank'*

Lol, yep, the guy was a programmer for the game. I know it isn't uncommon for writers to do this for certain characters in their works, but these guys made themselves overpowered Gods in those games :D

Ahh stop I remember the programmers in early fifa ha and the fifa international startup of the football table and then the twin towers of Wembley ahhh them were the days.

We are completely off topic today guys.

Edit; anyone remember adidas power soccer on the PS 1 and it had the cheat that you could turn on the female commentary was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ahh stop I remember the programmers in early fifa ha and the fifa international startup of the football table and then the twin towers of Wembley ahhh them were the days.

We are completely off topic today guys.

Edit; anyone remember adidas power soccer on the PS 1 and it had the cheat that you could turn on the female commentary was class.

Ah yes,the predator kick :D

There was another distance shot the keeper used mis judge it and let it roll under his legs :D I think you had to press all the buttons for it to work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think United did a good bit of businesses in the Sneiderlin deal. 20mill up front and a few mill to come with add-ons. I'd like to see the money immediately go back into improving our defense,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    But that has been the issue this season no?

Chances created hasn't been a problem at all, it's finishing them that killed us and caused so many dropped points.

I'd love to get an insight into how coaches and managers deal with that, or improve that. Obviously players dont miss chances on purpose. But there is a trend this season of us hammering teams and then the crowd or the team (or both) getting tetchy as it continues 0-0. Hull had a little feeling of that on Tuesday.

Obviously players miss chances, you don't expect players to have a conversion rate mental high. I think end of the season the best conversion rates are only ever in the 30%'s or something (Where is Pro.F, he can confirm that stuff)

But you always put down for world class strikers being the ones that can stick away a chance when you really need it. Even though end of season it might still only be 27-30%. Grand scheme of things, 1 in 3 is actually pretty incredible.

Would love to see what drills or training is done to sort this, and if it's positional, technical or mental.

(NB: I'm only repeating what I've read from the analytics bloggers and I'm open to correction on anything I'm misremembering or have missed)

The thing about shot to goal conversion rates is that they are massively prone to variance. Strikers don't take enough shots in a season (or even over multiple seasons in many cases) for the sample sizes to be big enough to tell the skill from the variance when it comes shots/goals conversion rate. The best strikers in the world don't have consistent shot to goal rates from year to year, so that stat just doesn't really tell you anything useful about how good a striker usually is, or how well he's playing right now. You're right about the best shots/goals rates being about 30% any given season iirc, but there isn't a correlation with the leaders in that stat being consistently high in it from year to year, or being the best strikers any given year.

You have to first adjust for things like the type of shot, the location and the type of pass that led to it, then you get information that is reliable and repeatable. This stat is called Expect Goals (xG). If a striker has a good Expected Goals stat this season, he will very likely have a good one next season too. And if he ranks high for xG for his league then he's usually a striker you regocnise as one of the best in that league, or one that you haven't heard of yet but who will be famous soon.

So, if Expected Goals is just the number of chances a striker has, weighted by the quality of those chances, then you can compare Expected Goals to actual goals to try and find who the best finishers are. And when you do that it turns out that while some of the best strikers in the world are better finishers than their peers, it is often by a negligible amount and again there is lots of variance. It turns out that what sets the best goal scorers apart the most is not how well they finish the good chances they get, but how often they get good chances. Because they are fast, or have great off the ball movement, or great control, or can get shots off super quickly, etc.

And when it comes to the best strikers finishing a chance when their team really needs it, again it turns out that that just isn't the case. I used to believe the exact same as you, but in the last few years the analytics people have shown that it just is not true. The numbers show that the best strikers' finishing rates do not improve based on the importance of the chance.

So, for example, Suarez is not a great goal scorer because he slots the ball past the keeper when he only has one big chance in an important game. He is great because he actually ends up with three big chances in that game and he scores one or two of them. But everybody forgets about the missed chances and the myth of the best strikers converting a chance when you really need it perpetuates.

When you realise the truth about what sets the best goal scorers apart it is a real eye opener. You notice how often the greats don't score "simple" chances and how often they get shots away in good positions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement