Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Any love for Italia 90 on mega drive?

GOAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Unearthly wrote: »
    Any love for Italia 90 on mega drive?

GOAL!

We used to leave it at threw to a draw just to do the penalty shootouts Loved the music on the country selection screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

united have rejected a bid from lyon for depay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bangkok wrote: »
    Hopefully only the opening bid.
    With a bit of luck a few teams want him and United get a decent return.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Hopefully only the opening bid.
    With a bit of luck a few teams want him and United get a decent return.

they are looking for around 15m.... a 10m loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Rejecting Lyon is a good sign. Hopefully they come back with a proper offer and even prompt other teams to make their move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sky Sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did he not cost less then 20 up front? 18 + a load of add ons?

Edit: From my quick google it seems we paid 17m Euro up front and 2 further installments of 8.5m euro, making it 34m Euro or about 26m pound sterling in total now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

bangkok wrote:

Wouldn't be bad considering we would also be getting rid of a player on an expensive long contract

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    France 98 was my favorite soccer game.

It was ridiculously easy to injure players so turn the ref to blind and let the carnage commence.

We'd end up with literally the goal keepers as the only uninjured player.

Good times.

I had it on PC
    I get knocked down, but I get up again etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

i asked the very same thing before and didnt really get an answer. Its nonsense. He had a poor game against the greatest club side in the history of the game, Barcelona final in rome and i think it comes from there. nothing about all his super performances in other big games down through the years.

carrick is an excellent player and is a united legend

The issue with Carrick when facing pressing was being talked about a good while before that Barca game, so that's wasn't the start of it.

Since the whole team have only been playing at an upper mid-table standard for the last three and a half seasons you're not going to get many games where the problem with Carrick stood out from the rest of what was going on. If you go back to Fergie's time people were regularly pointing out the games where Carrick was holding us back, because the standard we were going for was higher. But if you didn't agree with those people at the time, which I assume you didn't, then there sure as fùck isn't any point in discussing them again now, four plus years later.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Was just thinking similar ha. I have a Sega emulator on my pc I must give it a whiz when the child in bed have about 800 games on it.
    Problem with this is you will never play those games. Too many to have any focus
    astradave wrote: »
    The missus picked me up one of these for a Xmas present

154553.jpg

Dave has the right idea. Smaller amount of games and he's more likely to play them to completion

Sorry off-topic but a fun one at that

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Problem with this is you will never play those games. Too many to have any focus

Dave has the right idea. Smaller amount of games and he's more likely to play them to completion

Sorry off-topic but a fun one at that

Definitely a fun one. It's ok to do that today though, but from tomorrow on we better be super-serious and get our game faces on!

On topic...I got nothing.

*Runs to Reddit in search of news to post here*

We should be allowed have an off topic united thread........ :) that would go down really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

We should be allowed have an off topic united thread........ :) that would go down really well

Could use the Liverpool superthread it'll be empty next week.

Should ideally, yeah.

Out of curiousity, how is there a whole forum for Spurs? Not a judgement on the team or anything, just wondering.

Ahh don't it's too early to be starting that **** plus we could just as easily get beaten.

stankratz wrote: »
    Should ideally, yeah.

Out of curiousity, how is there a whole forum for Spurs? Not a judgement on the team or anything, just wondering.

Is there? I never noticed I just thought they had a thread.

And yeh it wouldn't be bad idea alot of us post. In here only I do a few other threads but It's mostly here that I have any time for posters would Be cool to have a off topic thread......

Get On it tsc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just on the Carrick thing, I idly checked for a few posts I made a while ago, about big games and such...
    The point about that pass is that there was absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever! Look at the right of the GIF, there are no Chelsea players there to even harry him. If Carrick had taken that pass and turned right to face up the field, he could have taken five steps forwards before even having to make a decision. That forward motion has a massive difference to the rest of the front four and the runs they make, and Cleverly would have turned that way.

Carrick did not. He had no awareness of what was behind him, and no confidence to retain possession, he just took the easy option. As Zerks said, it is a snapshot of Carricks mentality. Easy to have 95% pass completion when you are only making passes like that.
    Carrick? Carrick has scientifically proven that he will cost us in the big games. All he was good for was passing the ball five yards to Paul Scholes, and now Scholes is gone
    Nobody disputes that Carrick is good at intercepting the ball, his problem arises from his over cautious use of the ball when he has it. It was no surprise that the first time the ball was passed to him yesterday he turned and played it back to a CB.
    I see Utd's midfield tonight has Carrick, Giggs, and Park involved.

This is where we see where Utds good form comes from. I would suggest that if we return to conceding possession in midfield and if our buildup play returns to a more laboured style, that it would highlight just how much effect the likes of Carrick can have on the side, to a net detriment in my opinion.

Did I say a while ago? Actually, those posts are all from 2011. ;) Five years ago! Its certainly nothing new to question Carricks limitations and its certainly not because of only one game.

• Advertisement

genuine lol ty

0EhcJBb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

i asked the very same thing before and didnt really get an answer. Its nonsense. He had a poor game against the greatest club side in the history of the game, Barcelona final in rome and i think it comes from there. nothing about all his super performances in other big games down through the years.

carrick is an excellent player and is a united legend

Dont think he will be classed as a legend.
    Carrick is good when he gets time on the ball and I think the current system suits him I.e. a 3 man mid field.
    When he played in fergies 442 he was often found wanting and was s big come down from when Keane play there.
    Keane legend
    Scholes legend
    Carrick naah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Should ideally, yeah.

Apparently back in the early days I think the Spurs supporters club used it and had there own forum and it's just stuck around since. It's a public forum but there are others (not football related) that are invite only. That could be bollocks but I read something in a feedback thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So back on track.. Evra supposedly has an offer from Crystal Palace according to DiMarzio

Pretty sure the Spurs forum comes up in the feedback thread nearly every year. It's been there an age so theyou don't change it.. must be incredibly repetitive every year :D

And yeh it wouldn't be bad idea alot of us post. In here only I do a few other threads but It's mostly here that I have any time for posters would Be cool to have a off topic thread......

Get On it tsc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=837

It's a hosted thread. Someone must have had to pay for it, rather than a few fans PMing a mod to get one going.

I reckon it would work for United and Liverpool too as our respective superthreads are constantly around the top of the first page of the Soccer forum.

Edit: duffman above knows more about it than I. I wonder though if it would it be a possibility to get one going for United. Any mods reading able to chime in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

0EhcJBb.jpg

I need to rewatch my Police Academy DVD collection.

Get On it tsc

Tbh there is an off topic soccer forum thread that's barely used. I would imagine a united one would be used even less.

Tbh there is an off topic soccer forum thread that's barely used. I would imagine a united one would be used even less.

If you put manchester united name on top of that off topic thread I guarantee it will instantly be used more then most other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Should ideally, yeah.

I thought it was mentioned a few years ago about getting a United forum but it was ruled a non runner nearly straightaway and Spurs one was created because of a sympathetic mod when boards was in its infancy ?

I could be wrong but i have a vague memory of that from 4 or 5 years ago.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I need to rewatch my Police Academy DVD collection.

police-academy-Favim.com-554132.gif

Just on the Carrick thing, I idly checked for a few posts I made a while ago, about big games and such...

Did I say a while ago? Actually, those posts are all from 2011. ;) Five years ago! Its certainly nothing new to question Carricks limitations and its certainly not because of only one game.

In one of your posts you said he had no confidence of retaining possession so he passed it backwards..... is that not retaining possession?

Also for years carrick had one of the highest forward pass percentages to a team mate in europe.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Dont think he will be classed as a legend.
    Carrick is good when he gets time on the ball and I think the current system suits him I.e. a 3 man mid field.
    When he played in fergies 442 he was often found wanting and was s big come down from when Keane play there.
    Keane legend
    Scholes legend
    Carrick naah

Roy keane was one of the best midfielders in the history of the game so of course it was a come down.

Just because he doesnt go running crazy around the field shouting at players and getting sent off etc, he will def be classed a legend. He already is one. Look at his trophy haul for united and at 35 still one of the most important players on the team

In one of your posts you said he had no confidence of retaining possession so he passed it backwards..... is that not retaining possession?

Also for years carrick had one of the highest forward pass percentages to a team mate in europe.

And it was pointed out literally a billion times that the reason he had such a high forward passing number was because he dropped too deep too often. When a CM's forward passing numbers are up there with the highest CB forward passing numbers in the league then it's a good sign that the CM is dropping too deep.

Pro. F wrote: »
    And it was pointed out literally a billion times that the reason he had such a high forward passing number was because he dropped too deep too often. When a CM's forward passing numbers are up there with the highest CB forward passing numbers in the league then it's a good sign that the CM is dropping too deep.

ProF literally using the updated definition of the word literally

• Advertisement

I feel dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

In fairness if we are literally figurative the man is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd explain it, but I'm confident everybody else knows exactly what was meant so since its just for one person I'm not going to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

yabadabado wrote: »
    I thought it was mentioned a few years ago about getting a United forum but it was ruled a non runner nearly straightaway and Spurs one was created because of a sympathetic mod when boards was in its infancy ?

I could be wrong but i have a vague memory of that from 4 or 5 years ago.

They separated from the union a long time ago, they wanted their own sub forum, personally I would hate it. The trolling standards are poor these days anyway but even when we had good ones it was still worth it to not have such a narrow world view, to have people who are not United supporters drop in with genuine discussion points.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So back on track.. Evra supposedly has an offer from Crystal Palace according to DiMarzio

Pretty sure the Spurs forum comes up in the feedback thread nearly every year. It's been there an age so theyou don't change it.. must be incredibly repetitive every year :D

I would be shocked if he came back to OT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sky sources saying that it was a bid of £13m that we declined for Memphis.

Good to hear if true.

If we could recoup 15 or 16 of the fee it would be a good bit of business considering his downward trajectory. It would be a decent chunk off the wage bill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

It would be a decent chunk off the wage bill too.

Was thinking last night if United, as seems likely, get Memphis, Adnan, Morgan, Basti & Wayne off the wage bill then that is a saving of about £500-630K a week (depending on who you believe as a source of wages). Could be an interesting summer alright.

If signings are made in defence I can see Darmian being sold too tbh.

Was thinking last night if United, as seems likely, get Memphis, Adnan, Morgan, Basti & Wayne off the wage bill then that is a saving of about £500-630K a week (depending on who you believe as a source of wages). Could be an interesting summer alright.

If signings are made in defence I can see Darmian being sold too tbh.

Darmian seems to be happy enough to not have a nailed down spot. He can cover both FB slots and could prolly cover centre half too. We need utility players so IMO he is worth more to us than we would get from a transfer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Darmian seems to be happy enough to not have a nailed down spot. He can cover both FB slots and could prolly cover centre half too. We need utility players so IMO he is worth more to us than we would get from a transfer fee.

True that and he was good value for the price United paid, as was Blind.

True that and he was good value for the price United paid, as was Blind.

Blind is this eras JoS.

Not particularly flashy but can competently cover a number of positions. Players like him are invaluable.

Will probably see more of this threw out the day love Zlatan he looks great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sky sources saying that it was a bid of £13m that we declined for Memphis.

Good to hear if true.

If we could recoup 15 or 16 of the fee it would be a good bit of business considering his downward trajectory. It would be a decent chunk off the wage bill too.

It's funny because I like seeing united at least get their money back on players.

But it's not my money so I shouldn't care. The club is worth billions, so a few million shouldn't matter. It's irrational for united fans to really care how much united get for fringe players...

I was also thinking that surely Zlatan is the signing of the season, possibly of the last decade. He's helped (very much in Cantona fashion) lift the club up at least one level to the point where the good feeling and positivity is to the point whereby it feels like united could put in a decent title challenge (even if they most likely have left themselves too much many points to chase).

There is such a feel good about the squad and players. Interviews with players having fun. Everybody rallying around Fellani. I think Jose has turned things around superbly.

I feel the team is only a player or two from properly winning the league. But Zlatan is key..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There was a This Is Football title that you could dive if you hit all four of the back buttons at the same time. You'd be booked most of the time but every so often you'd get an undeserved peno and you're mate would go nuts it was great

Remember at Landsdowne being pitch side with my mates. O'Shea was playing left back and everytime he was over for a throw

"THIS IS FOOTBALL JOHN, THIS IS ****ING FOOTBALL"

Bn8ApL-CYAAy9t5.jpg

Pro. F wrote: »
    (NB: I'm only repeating what I've read from the analytics bloggers and I'm open to correction on anything I'm misremembering or have missed)

The thing about shot to goal conversion rates is that they are massively prone to variance. Strikers don't take enough shots in a season (or even over multiple seasons in many cases) for the sample sizes to be big enough to tell the skill from the variance when it comes shots/goals conversion rate. The best strikers in the world don't have consistent shot to goal rates from year to year, so that stat just doesn't really tell you anything useful about how good a striker usually is, or how well he's playing right now. You're right about the best shots/goals rates being about 30% any given season iirc, but there isn't a correlation with the leaders in that stat being consistently high in it from year to year, or being the best strikers any given year.

You have to first adjust for things like the type of shot, the location and the type of pass that led to it, then you get information that is reliable and repeatable. This stat is called Expect Goals (xG). If a striker has a good Expected Goals stat this season, he will very likely have a good one next season too. And if he ranks high for xG for his league then he's usually a striker you regocnise as one of the best in that league, or one that you haven't heard of yet but who will be famous soon.

So, if Expected Goals is just the number of chances a striker has, weighted by the quality of those chances, then you can compare Expected Goals to actual goals to try and find who the best finishers are. And when you do that it turns out that while some of the best strikers in the world are better finishers than their peers, it is often by a negligible amount and again there is lots of variance. It turns out that what sets the best goal scorers apart the most is not how well they finish the good chances they get, but how often they get good chances. Because they are fast, or have great off the ball movement, or great control, or can get shots off super quickly, etc.

And when it comes to the best strikers finishing a chance when their team really needs it, again it turns out that that just isn't the case. I used to believe the exact same as you, but in the last few years the analytics people have shown that it just is not true. The numbers show that the best strikers' finishing rates do not improve based on the importance of the chance.

So, for example, Suarez is not a great goal scorer because he slots the ball past the keeper when he only has one big chance in an important game. He is great because he actually ends up with three big chances in that game and he scores one or two of them. But everybody forgets about the missed chances and the myth of the best strikers converting a chance when you really need it perpetuates.

When you realise the truth about what sets the best goal scorers apart it is a real eye opener. You notice how often the greats don't score "simple" chances and how often they get shots away in good positions.

Miss you <3

They separated from the union a long time ago, they wanted their own sub forum, personally I would hate it. The trolling standards are poor these days anyway but even when we had good ones it was still worth it to not have such a narrow world view, to have people who are not United supporters drop in with genuine discussion points.

An entire sub-forum would be slack. Threads going idle and dead and the discussion being fractured.

What I like about this format, a super thread, is that typically a topic "catches" on, and EVERYONE is on that topic for however long it runs.

It all feels really natural and the flow is great.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement