Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

One of my Man Utd supporting friends told me he didn't come watch Dundalk as its all hoofball!

Pot Kettle Black

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Liverpool were wasting time from 30 minutes onwards, we had two or three clear chances in the first half and one in the second where all it needed was a touch.

Delightful to see Sourness moaning about the offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

We made up a point on at least one of the teams ahead of us..

Unbeaten in 16 now..

That's me being optimistic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fellaini made huge difference and anyone who says otherwise is just not getting it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

edgecutter wrote: »
    I agree that he had to come on, but Rooney shouldn't have been that sub when you have Mata on the bench.

I feel as if Rooney's record thingy is going to be a little bit of a noose round our neck for a few games; he should have hit the record with ease by now, but he was dreadful again today. But until he gets it, he'll keep getting minutes to try and get it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Quandary wrote: »
    Im not sure what game people were watching but I thought Liverpool were very average. They have played infinitely better this season but in this game we were so poor it made them look decent.

They were far better without the ball than with it. At no point did United look comfortable in possession today.

Rooney put in the only decent cross from a United player all day and it led to our goal. Mata, Pogba, Mkhitaryan offered absolutely nothing. Ibrahimovic too until the goal.

Yeah, he was amazing and wasn't an hindrance at all.

Besides, I loved the way he got Mata and Ibra to chase down Mignolet to conserve his energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Could you imagine Jose and Pep battling it out for 4/5th place in the league??? This league really is ridiculous

Yeah, he was amazing and wasn't an hindrance at all.

Besides, I loved the way he got Mata and Ibra to chase down Mignolet to conserve his energy.

Did I say he was amazing? At least Mata was good for something today then.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel as if Rooney's record thingy is going to be a little bit of a noose round our neck for a few games; he should have hit the record with ease by now, but he was dreadful again today. But until he gets it, he'll keep getting minutes to try and get it :/

One player isn't bigger than the club. He shouldn't be pandered to anymore and hopefully Jose will look at the future with Rashford on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Je_Suis_Gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Basically if United had another clinical finisher/goal scorer we be winning these games.

How many of there chances do you remember? We had best chances in game and only for moment of pure stupidness from Pogba in one his worst performance s for club we would of more then likely won!

You will hear all kinds crap after this but bottom line is united had the game there to win the occasion the rivalry and the fact we didn't play as good as we could/should changed a lot in the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

The draw is an okay result. We didn't play well, In the 2nd half we were rushing, trying to force the game too much. In the context of the game and how we played, we were fortunate to come away with a point.

One player isn't bigger than the club. He shouldn't be pandered to anymore and hopefully Jose will look at the future with Rashford on the bench.

He's not being pandered to at all? He starts every game on the bench now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

They were far better without the ball than with it. At no point did United look comfortable in possession today.

I agree with you there. They worked very hard and pressed well but they were very ineffective in possession until Coutinho came on.

Have to say I hated that game of football. Thank fcuk for Ibra up front to save our blushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Quandary wrote: »
    Im not sure what game people were watching but I thought Liverpool were very average. They have played infinitely better this season but in this game we were so poor it made them look decent.

Covered 12km more than United today. I don't know what the record is but they can't have been far off it.

I was very impressed with Firmino today. He has unreal strength. But overall their technical ability is not particularly high and possibly the lowest of the top six teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Jose will look to the result of the match. Rashford wasn't going to be brought on for Carrick. Thought he would have been given a run but Rooney coming on ahead of him today wasn't the reason United didn't win.

A shocking performance against a team ahead of them and they got a point. I'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm fairly optimistic for the rest of the season.

Again, I'm only going by the second half but, Utd didn't look like they played especially well at all but still managed to get a late goal to pick up a point and remain unbeaten.

Looking at the long game these are the things that title challenging teams are (eventually) built on. It was as important to not lose the game as it was to win it imo. The habit of not losing comes so much easier when you are doing it for a while.

Don't be panicking. It's mid January. Loads of time to get try and get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pogba was strange today. Normally his biggest asset is hos ability to hold off people when in possession but he looked flustered and weak in possession today. Hopefully it motivates him to do better in the coming games. I really thought his ability to do that would win the midfield battle for United but he was really awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully that ends any hope they had of winning the league

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Liam O wrote: »
    Pogba was strange today. Normally his biggest asset is hos ability to hold off people when in possession but he looked flustered and weak in possession today. Hopefully it motivates him to do better in the coming games. I really thought his ability to do that would win the midfield battle for United but he was really awful.

I think the penalty really rattled him and he was fortunate not to get the line for his rock bottom on Henderson.

Meh, its two more points towards them not winning a league so that's good enough for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Pool had parked the bus. Imo, Fellaini was the right option at that stage. We weren't going to do jack **** with the pace of Rashford; we needed height in the box to break the bus down.

Correct. From about 55 mins on when United had the ball they had every player in their half. Fellaini was the correct option in that kind of situation. Pool were working hard and sitting back and created **** all all game.

I don't think that Rooney and Mata were right though. Gotta get Rashford on before you play the long ball card and try to get at that right full.

Thought that fullback was there to be got at as well. He was struggling with offside trap and getting roasted when isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I hate all this social media crap going around about Pogba. He's a very good player, no doubt, and he has the potential to go far, but they seriously need to get over the obsession with the Pogba name/brand. The whole twitter hashtag thing all over the advertsining boards today was cringeworthy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Hopefully that ends any hope they had of winning the league

When they get Mane and Matip back and Coutinho gets back to full fitness they will start firing on all cylinders again. Despite their match gong well yesterday in his absence, I can see the Costa thing causing Chelsea to drop points. He's a player who can be very disruptive when he's not happy. I could see Liverpool catching them.

I still think we will be nowhere near the title and will be doing very well to get champions league. Particularly if performances like today become a common occurrence.

Souness - " long ball, it's not the Utd way.."

So is it the Liverpool way considering Utd only played 1% more of their balls long than Liverpool did?

Klopp with a sniffy interview afterwards too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

KH25 wrote: »
    I hate all this social media crap going around about Pogba. He's a very good player, no doubt, and he has the potential to go far, but they seriously need to get over the obsession with the Pogba name/brand. The whole twitter hashtag thing all over the advertsining boards today was cringeworthy at best.

#Sendpogbacktojuve
    #handofpog
    #poormansdjimitraore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

1 point gained on City

2 points lost on everybody else

Liverpool were there for the taking today but poor delivery and choices cost us a good few chances.

2 positions that definitely need looking at is right back and a tall mobile defensive mid.

Carrick not up for the big games anymore. Pogba was crap but he is young and this is a game he will learn from.

If we win our next 4, we will be comfortably top 4 going into the final 10/12 games. They are 4 very winnable games and other teams around us are playing each other. If we can do that, it'll be in our hands imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Je_Suis_Gone.

Bait. Rise. Swallow. :-)

adox wrote: »
    Souness - " long ball, it's not the Utd way.."

So is it the Liverpool way considering Utd only played 1% more of their balls long than Liverpool did?

Klopp with a sniffy interview afterwards too.

It's ridiculous analysis because it was clearly done to counter Pool clogging the middle when sitting back. And it ****ing worked. Another good piece of tactical play from Mourinho downgraded to a cheap trick because people don't really get tactics. Maybe if Souness took some pointers he might actually be able to get back into the management game and win a trophy or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

#Sendpogbacktojuve
    #handofpog
    #poormansdjimitraore

#ingigispocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    1 point gained on City

2 points lost on everybody else

Liverpool were there for the taking today but poor delivery and choices cost us a good few chances.

2 positions that definitely need looking at is right back and a tall mobile defensive mid.

Carrick not up for the big games anymore. Pogba was crap but he is young and this is a game he will learn from.

Rb? Valencia has been one of the best player's in that position this season, also had a decent game today.

Liverpool targeted Carrick today, left him no time. Probably why Jose took him off

We aint going win every game. We aint losing and at least we look like we could score when we were 1 down.

Liverpool had chances too but I think draw was fair result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Really poor performance today, the players bottled it when the pressure was on to win.

We have Spurs & Arsenal in the last 3 games away and based on how the players performed today we will need to be 7 points ahead of them to stand a chance.

Today was a day to get right back into the fight. Place massive pressure on Pool and City and we blew it. Not just th result but the performance.

How any Utd fan can take a positive out of that is mind bogging. Pool were poor, missing the core of their team, and on a poor run and we were at home and full of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Carrick not up for the big games anymore.

Bakayoko and Fabinho would do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am happy we remain unbeaten in 16.
    The penalty happened by Jones being asleep on the ball, Rojo having to clear up the mess that was unnecessarily created and Pogba all over the place in defending the corner.

The top three PL teams based on form after this week:
    1. Spurs 6 wins in a row
    2. United 5 wins and a draw
    3. Chelsea 5 wins and a loss.

I will be happy if Spurs win or draw next weekend against City, City looked really bad and it is hard to see Spurs losing to them. Given our recent history with City, I am for Spurs to smash their goal difference.
    But we need to get back to winning, away to Stoke, the game is on SS5 as the 3pm Saturday game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pool were working hard and sitting back and created **** all all game.

Just on this we actually had more chances and more chances on target than United. Also got more corners than yourselves.

On the game I think it was better than the Anfield game, not hard to be fair, but at the end of the day a draw is a fair result. Neither team was better and if either lost they could have felt hard done by.

Yes Valencia was offside for the cross for the United goal but Rooney was on for his strike before that, even though it was saved, so that evened themselves out.

Two tackles which I thought should have been carded were Rooney on Milner (a little mistimed more than anything) and Pogbas WWE choke hold on Henderson.

I'm happy enough with the point considering we were missing quiet a few players, away at OT and United on their best run of the season while we are having a sticky patch.

Best of luck in the rest of the games chaps and I wouldn't be to disappointed if he pip City to fourth!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Meh, its two more points towards them not winning a league so that's good enough for now.
    That is the limit of United's ambition these days. Quite sad.

It's ridiculous analysis because it was clearly done to counter Pool clogging the middle when sitting back. And it ****ing worked. Another good piece of tactical play from Mourinho downgraded to a cheap trick because people don't really get tactics. Maybe if Souness took some pointers he might actually be able to get back into the management game and win a trophy or two.

Well said.

He just pissed off he cant say Tippy Tappy every 30 seconds

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Really poor performance today, the players bottled it when the pressure was on to win.

We have Spurs & Arsenal in the last 3 games away and based on how the players performed today we will need to be 7 points ahead of them to stand a chance.

Today was a day to get right back into the fight. Place massive pressure on Pool and City and we blew it. Not just th result but the performance.

How any Utd fan can take a positive out of that is mind bogging. Pool were poor, missing the core of their team, and on a poor run and we were at home and full of confidence.

There was only 1 positive, we remain unbeaten, didn't enjoy the game.
    A slight positive is we might look to address the defensive midfield area.

Overall it is a game I am happy to be out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"For now" it's good enough. Like he said.

It's obvious that finally this squad/club is on the up.

He didn't say that but you probably already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

jamesbere wrote: »
    Rb? Valencia has been one of the best player's in that position this season, also had a decent game today.

Everytime they attacked us today there was space in behind Val leaving Jones to cover.

Square peg in round hole, decent backup but not what we need if we want to win the league next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Should be able to pick up 12 points

Saturday 21st January
    Stoke City v Manchester United

Wednesday 1st February
    Manchester United v Hull City

Sunday 5th February
    Leicester City v Manchester United

Saturday 11th February
    Manchester United v Watford

Not at all.

Liverpool have had a quarter of a century of being buoyed by United losing.

Im just trying their koolaid.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Just on this we actually had more chances and more chances on target than United. Also got more corners than yourselves.

On the game I think it was better than the Anfield game, not hard to be fair, but at the end of the day a draw is a fair result. Neither team was better and if either lost they could have felt hard done by.

Yes Valencia was offside for the cross for the United goal but Rooney was on for his strike before that, even though it was saved, so that evened themselves out.

Two tackles which I thought should have been carded were Rooney on Milner (a little mistimed more than anything) and Pogbas WWE choke hold on Henderson.

I'm happy enough with the point considering we were missing quiet a few players, away at OT and United on their best run of the season while we are having a sticky patch.

Best of luck in the rest of the games chaps and I wouldn't be to disappointed if he pip City to fourth!!

I think a lot of people want to see City not make the top 4, especially after the Pep talk about City need to be in the CL for the next 10 years to get to the stature of the (Real) big teams.
    Then there is the oil money.

Sure we would all love a CL final between United and Liverpool in the future, right :P :pac: mods :eek:

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How any Utd fan can take a positive out of that is mind bogging.

It's really not. It's been explained to you already why people are taking positives from it. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's mind boggling.

Can't really draw many conclusions after that game, for either team. We're better than that, so are Liverpool. It was a fair result based on that 90 minutes.

I still saw the fight and passion in the team that I want to see. Still saw the good chances created, in both halves, that I want to see. I can take some positives out of the game. But then, I wasn't someone who was looking at this match as the the be-all and end-all of United's season.

None of our lads shone, but Paul Pogba just played his worst 90 minutes in a United shirt. Worrying to see that it can happen. I'm not talking about him merely being anonymous or going missing. He had the anti-Midas touch in that first half, everything he touched turned to shít. Then there was the dab in mid-air to give away the penalty. Surreal performance from him.

It's disappointing not to beat Liverpool, it's disappointing not to take advantage of City's result, but we're still on course for having a good league campaign. We're 4 points off 4th, but only 5 points from 2nd with many games still to play.

There was a point gained on City, and Liverpool haven't beaten us in the league since Moyes United 0 - 3 Liverpool. Not the worst day at all today, just a bit disappointing. Also, the difference in intention from both teams at 1-1 showed me just how much our lads wanted the win. Didn't get it in the end, but still great to see that belief and mentality in the players which has been missing for a few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Not at all.

Liverpool have had a quarter of a century of being buoyed by United losing.

Im just trying their koolaid.

27 years..........

What exactly is their ambition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think a lot of people want to see City not make the top 4, especially after the Pep talk about City need to be in the CL for the next 10 years to get to the stature of the (Real) big teams.
    Then there is the oil money.

Sure we would all love a CL final between United and Liverpool in the future, right :P :pac: mods :eek:

It'd be chaos :pac: also we've a 100% win record against yous in Europe ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement