Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How many big chances have we missed versus top of that table?

Im slightly surprised by that stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't understand people criticising Valencia.

He brings speed, strength and commitment to the team, all of which are lacking around the field. He's been our most consistent performer all season. Probably first player on the team sheet after De Gea.

Now left back, that's certainly an area where we're in big trouble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Tyson Fury wrote: »

He brings speed, strength and commitment to the team, all of which are lacking around the field. He's been our most consistent performer all season. Probably first player on the team sheet after De Gea.

He cant cross the ball, thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lads slagging off pogba need to take a look at themselves in the mirror. 23 years of age. Probably his worst game of the season, but so what. He has been class for the last 3 months. First proper season in english football. Wasnt his fault he cost 93m. Still the best midfielder in world football.

Fellaini also proved his worth for last 15min. Yes we went long ball but we got a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Soooo anyway all I can say is it was a game just like any other apart from we played pool but funny thing is we still could of easily won it but I haven't watched the game back on tv yet but it felt we had the better chances marginally.

Yeh Liverpool ran more and closed down more but what did that get them? It got them a draw by a penalty and a few fluffed chances on our part

I would be confident that again the time we play city next month at least 2 teams from city, pool and arsenal will of dropped 3 more points minimum and we will have closed the gap again and that's all we need we were never goin to catch Chelsea anyway that's totally nail on the head and gone with catching them.

Also: totally hated the Twitter and pogba crap on the advert boards all game it was so tacky hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

None of which are the 2 main things he needs as a right back in our setup defend and crossing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh he is consistent, can't argue that. When it comes to hitting the defender standing in front of him ain't nobody more consistent than Valencia...

Speed, strength and commitment are good enough for mid table sides but if we want to be the best again then we also need the quality, and a full back with zero end product is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

bangkok wrote: »
    Lads slagging off pogba need to take a look at themselves in the mirror. 23 years of age. Probably his worst game of the season, but so what. He has been class for the last 3 months. First proper season in english football. Wasnt his fault he cost 93m. Still the best midfielder in world football.

Fellaini also proved his worth for last 15min. Yes we went long ball but we got a point

What does have to do with anything? That's well past the point of "Ah well, he's only a kid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeh Liverpool ran more and closed down more but what did that get them? It got them a draw by a penalty and a few fluffed chances on our part

You must've been asleep for Firmino's chance and Wijnaldum's three.

A draw was fair. How either set of fans can argue strongly otherwise is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true. He's a very good player but no way is he the best midfielder in the world.

SlickRic wrote: »
    You must've been asleep for Firmino's chance and Wijnaldum's three.

A draw was fair. How either set of fans can argue strongly otherwise is beyond me.

Chances don't win games only goals do My point was that someone said we need to learn to press more like Liverpool and work rate but that didn't get you a win you didn't convert any of your chances apart from the penalty same as we did we also wasted loads of chances.

I agree totally the draw was a fair result it really was as neither teams comes out of the game with bonus points or been superior but having said that I still think we had better chances but as I said originally I didn't see the game on tv yet only going on first impressions and it looked to me like we were the better team for most of the game just didn't finish as well as we should of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

People need to get over Pogba's performance today. It was shocking. He had a bad game...nothing worked but he kept trying.

He's not going to be a leader out there. He's a gifted footballer bit a leader he isn't. You pay for quality and that's what United have. They just don't have a player to play alongside him that allows the player he can be.

Zlatan never really looked like a top player at Barca but that was because of how they were set up rather than being any reflection on his ability.

Let the other supporters concern themselves with shi*ty memes and let's just hope we get to see the kid's quality sooner rather than later.

Johner wrote: »
    Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true. He's a very good player but no way is he the best midfielder in the world.

Name 3 better midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Verrati, modric and Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Modric, Iniesta, Kroos. I'd have Pogba top 5 or 10. It's been a decent first season so far for him, nothing spectacular but I'm sure he'll keep improving.

• Advertisement

Pogba would walk onto any team in the world today. Yes he played bad but so did most of the team today. Get over it. Pogba is world class and only going to get better. He is TWENTY THREE!!!!!!

astradave wrote: »

Iniesta 5 years ago yes, now no.

Modric no

Verrati lol

If iniesta didn't play for barca he wouldn't be even considered as a best midfielder in the world he hasn't done anything special individually since xavi retired.

My top 3 would be modric, vidal and busquets. All different types of midfielders but all best at what they do in my opinion,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Iniesta 5 years ago yes, now no.

Modric no

Verrati lol

What about the guy you mention in every second post and have been fellating for months now, Micheal Carrick? How did Carrick do today?

If iniesta didn't play for barca he wouldn't be even considered as a best midfielder in the world he hasn't done anything special individually since xavi retired.

My top 3 would be modric, vidal and busquets. All different types of midfielders but all best at what they do in my opinion,

I don't agree with regards to Iniesta but when someone posts.. name three better midfielders than Pogba. Every answer is going to be in their opinion.. actually was thinking about Vidal but imo he has fallen off the cliff a bit recently. At the top of his game yes definitely. Completely forgot about Busquets. He would defo be ahead of Pogba at this time too.

IMO Modric is the best midfielder in the game atm and I think he makes Real tick. Dunno how that fella can LOL at Verrati, another unbelievable player who has had a bit of bad luck with injuries lately

• Advertisement

Fair point. I would include Modric, in the top 3, think he is a brilliant midfield player.

Busquets is barcas carrick. Brilliant at what he does.

Vidal....better than pogb? IMO no

I don't agree with regards to Iniesta but when someone posts.. name three better midfielders than Pogba. Every answer is going to be in their opinion.. actually was thinking about Vidal but imo he has fallen off the cliff a bit recently. At the top of his game yes definitely. Completely forgot about Busquets. He would defo be ahead of Pogba at this time too.

IMO Modric is the best midfielder in the game atm and I think he makes Real tick. Dunno how that fella can LOL at Verrati, another unbelievable player who has had a bit of bad luck with injuries lately

Astradave, honest question, when is the last time you seen veratti play a full 90mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pogba is an excellent player.
    But right now I think he doesn't have the correct temperment for the big games as he showed at the Euro's in particular. Seems to try way too hard to do something & takes way too many touches. Still only 23 so it should improve over time. Central midfield is a position where game intelligence & experience can play a huge factor.

Astradave, honest question, when is the last time you seen veratti play a full 90mins?

I don't know what your point is tbh but

Yesterday evening, got an assist too ;)

He has played plenty of minutes this season. Hasn't been as influential as he was before his injury but he is starting to get back into form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Iniesta makes a big difference to Barca. It's hard to get the individual plaudits when you have that front 3 doing what they do, but you only notice the difference he makes to them when he's not there. He is still absolutely class.

We all have different opinions no one should "lol" at an opinion as long as it's genuine. I haven't watched Verrati enough to form a proper opinion on him but he looks solid without been a standout player.

I could be judging vidal too much on past glories but I feel he could easily turn it in in a big game and that's what matters most.

Fair point. I would include Modric, in the top 3, think he is a brilliant midfield player.

Busquets is barcas carrick. Brilliant at what he does.

Vidal....better than pogb? IMO no

Busquets is barcas carrick but busquets always performs in the big games and that's not a dig at Carrick but Sergio is in another level and has many years above him.

Who would you have in your top 3 or have I missed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Pogba needs to try pass ball much quicker. He not really a dribbler, and trys too many times to beat a player, when a pass is far better option.

Im not concerned about today. He be fine just needs a bit more time to adapt. I think he trying be all those types of Midfielder. I dont think its effort, its him just trying do bit too much.

I don't know what your point is tbh but

Yesterday evening, got an assist too ;)

He has played plenty of minutes this season. Hasn't been as influential as he was before his injury but he is starting to get back into form

You watched the full 90mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I find it hard to believe people are comparing Iniesta and Pogba. Different types of players at different stages of their careers. Pogba will never have a worse first half again, should have been off, but settled a wee bit too in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Every player named looks better with the right people around them.

• Advertisement

You watched the full 90mins?

Missed the first 20 mins or so.. what's your point here?

doc_17 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe people are comparing Iniesta and Pogba. Different types of players at different stages of their careers. Pogba will never have a worse first half again, should have been off, but settled a wee bit too in the second half.

No one is comparing.. Bangkok asked to name three better Midfielders than Pogba.

Missed the first 20 mins or so.. what's your point here?

Point is veratti played against rennes yesterday.

Pogba played against liverpool today.

Pogba has more caps at a younger age in a better french team then veratti does in a poor italian team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Today just reminded me how outstandingly brilliant Roy Keane was, a giant of a leader on the pitch.
    Anyways we move on and keep plugging away, still only 5 points off 2nd .Really need to do betr in top 6 league games. Form really does go out the window in pool - United games.

Point is veratti played against rennes yesterday.

Pogba played against liverpool today.

Pogba has more caps at a younger age in a better french team then veratti does in a poor italian team

You sound very Rafaesque there with your facts

I really don't get your point in asking if I watched Verratti play then..

Who the opposition was this week is not how I formed my opinion on either of them. I don't even know why your arguing.. no one is arguing that he is not a great player..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Someone mentioned flat track bully earlier. I'm happy we are beating teams we should now. That's the bread and butter of winning leagues.

Chelsea are the only team that well and truly played us off the park. The improvement to take more points from the bigger games is very doable in the near future.

secman wrote: »
    Today just reminded me how outstandingly brilliant Roy Keane was, a giant of a leader on the pitch.
    Anyways we move on and keep plugging away, still only 5 points off 2nd .Really need to do betr in top 6 league games. Form really does go out the window in pool - United games.

Roy Keane also played in probably the best midfield there has ever been in English football and possibly European football. Imagine beckham Giggs Keane and Scholes in their prime out there today against that Liverpool midfield..

Back from pub.
    Just share some thoughts.

I'm gutted with the draw. Really wanted the win and Liverpool were there for the taking.
    Our chance conversion has haunted us all season and played a major part in that result again.

Pogba had one of his worst games in a Utd shirt but so what he's had a great run of games, everyone can have a off day. The potential is still evident he just needs to learn from his mistakes today.

Hold my hand up and say that was also a poor performance from Carrick alongside him. He couldn't cope with the extra pressure being applied by Liverpool pressing.

Subs by Jose were inspired and ended up getting us a draw. Fellaini in particular was excellent when he came on. Held the ball up really well and allowed another option for utds attack.

Rooney shown me again why he will no longer be a starter for Utd. He ultimately frustrated me by slowing up play when it didn't need slowing down.

Valencia cannot cross the ball but defended well. He was a winger so cannot understand how he has lost this part of his game.

That finish by Ibra cannot be underestimated. That was a class finish and did so well to get the power and precision in that header from the awkward position he was in.

Martial disappointing also. I would have preferred Rashford as a straight swap for Martial.

Mata should have played central instead of Rooney.

Miki was always a threat but again finishing needs to be worked on by all. He missed two great chances.

Ultimately frustrating but so much progress has been made in the last couple of months its hard not to stay positive.

Onwards and upwards. This season will bring more surprises and top 4 is so hard to predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Story of the season so far really, missed chances.

Liverpool put the handbrake up on the bus in the second half and we were not going to play through them, bringing on Fellaini and going more direct with him and Ibra was very obviously the right thing to do.

Pogba had his worst performance, unfortunate but he is very young still and I think he tries too hard still to be the big guy in the big games, he doesn't shy away though and he will get there.

I'm not end of the world disappointed, the winning streak was going to end at some point and though we were pretty awful for the most part we really still should have won that game, Liverpool defended well for the majority of the game and I don't think we can feel robbed by them getting a point.

Frustrated for sure but the unbeaten streak continues and the team is progressing, keep up our recent form and we will be fine, the chance conversion is a real concern for me as early goals can really cause teams to crumble and Liverpool had offered nothing up till that stupid penalty, which was a result of giving away a stupid, needless corner.

The pieces are still coming together, days like today will happen. They happen even when you are winning titles, on to the next and ensure the winning run starts back up again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I wonder what Klopp has say about that.

Seems like he moans about everything these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Poor old MicksJaguar will be devo that winning streak has come to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

:confused: Has nothing to do with Klopp

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: Has nothing to do with Klopp

He seems have opinion and chip on his shoulder with us. Im sure he have something to say. ;)

An ex player celebrating a goal?? Probably nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Apparently we all think every man Utd player is world class and that we're a delusional group ... According to posters in another thread. :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Klopp came across badly today. Moaning about long balls. Maybe he should concentrate on defending against them instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can't say I'm as freaked with Pogba as some people are. Sure, it was poor.

But in the grand scheme of things, I'm probably like many being harsh on him and not allowing patience. We seem to assume he doesn't need settling in time because he used to play for United. But in reality he never played in the premier league.

He's a clear talent, has played well more often then not this season and we have a crazy talent in our midst.

All still learning. He definitely delays a bit on the ball, four touches when two will do. But while he will likely make all the headlines for the wrong reasons I don't see any reason other then to notch it down to a bad day st the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Klopp came across badly today. Moaning about long balls. Maybe he should concentrate on defending against them instead?

Didn't he say we played long balls in the last 10minutes? I tend to ignore that shíte anyways. It's part of the game and if you can't handle it then tough shít.

It's a last gasp tactic for nearly every team ffs.

Nalz wrote: »
    Apparently we all think every man Utd player is world class and that we're a delusional group ... According to posters in another thread. :-o

Its the Humour Thread Take 2 for reason

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement