Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Am I right in saying the City game is rescheduled until later in the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Augeo wrote: »
    So chaps, are ye out of the title race now?

Are you talking to all of us or the tiniest little handful of people that thought we were in it before yesterday?
    Because you could ask them individually there was so few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

zerks wrote: »

It's scheduled for the 26tg of Feb but we should be playing another game that weekend unless we make a huge cock up.

Great to see Jose managed to fix Jones.

Phil-Jones-vs.-Liverpool-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Augeo wrote: »
    So chaps, are ye out of the title race now?

We've a very small outside chance but to be honest the target is 2nd or 3rd and a cup (or 3:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we have no unexpected drama against Hull in the second leg, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The worst argument a loser can have is that the winner didn't play the game the way they wanted them to and as such does not deserve the win.

Granted in this case the spoils were shared, but if Klopp can't scream at his team so they can counter a player like Fellaini coming on to the pitch then he has noone but himself to blame.

Side note: I'm worried he's going to drop dead on the touchline. I don't think I've seen a manager get so angry and enraged so quickly and so frequently. It's actually worrying to see. I guess it's let go because he's a very likable guy with the media but ****ing hell- calm down for your own sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Great to see Jose managed to fix Jones.

Phil-Jones-vs.-Liverpool-1.jpg

Jones couldn't cope with a bit of pressure yesterday. He's so bad on the deck but stats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Oh and I think Pogba looked worse yesterday because his solid partner, Carrick, was also having a mare of a game.

Pogba has played best when he's had that calmness of Carrick alongside him. That was absent yesterday and Pogba couldn't do two jobs at once so fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What counts as a long ball? Is it purely distance as crosses and clearances may count then no?

• Advertisement

The one major problem with the stats is = it doesn't say Jones dwelt on the ball with a lack of awareness, that put the defense under severe pressure which Rojo had to mop up via a corner, that led to a penalty and a goal.

Jones couldn't cope with a bit of pressure yesterday. He's so bad on the deck but stats...

I'm happy for him that he is injury free.Valencia left him very exposed at times by allowing Liverpool players to run by him and standing waving his arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jones has done well for Jose but an upgrade is needed.He would be a very good option to have but don't think he is good enough to be first choice.
    A CM CB and RB are needed for that squad but most likely be waiting until the summer.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The worst argument a loser can have is that the winner didn't play the game the way they wanted them to and as such does not deserve the win.

Granted in this case the spoils were shared, but if Klopp can't scream at his team so they can counter a player like Fellaini coming on to the pitch then he has noone but himself to blame.

Side note: I'm worried he's going to drop dead on the touchline. I don't think I've seen a manager get so angry and enraged so quickly and so frequently. It's actually worrying to see. I guess it's let go because he's a very likable guy with the media but ****ing hell- calm down for your own sake!

He was the same at Dortmund. It can't be healthy to get so worked up.

People laughed when Jose said he was calmer than Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nalz wrote: »
    What counts as a long ball? Is it purely distance as crosses and clearances may count then no?

Love to know that myself as it's causing such excitement

I don't care who plays the most long balls, the aim of the game is to win, no one strategy is correct as teams have to be able to change tactics and adapt, complaining about the tactics of the opposing team is trying to deflect that the tactics of the other team must have been effective.

RobertKK wrote: »
    He was the same at Dortmund. It can't be healthy to get so worked up.

People laughed when Jose said he was calmer than Klopp.

Speaking of getting worked up,Liverpool fans are moaning about "United fan" Martin Tyler.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/01/16/the-best-tweets-about-man-united-fan-martin-tyler-following-liverpools-old-trafford-draw/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

MagicIRL wrote: »

!

You never see the video where Jose slates a Big Sam team for parking the bus? You never see the multiple interviews where Jose thinks there is a ref conspiracy against him?

• Advertisement

Speaking of getting worked up,Liverpool fans are moaning about "United fan" Martin Tyler.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/01/16/the-best-tweets-about-man-united-fan-martin-tyler-following-liverpools-old-trafford-draw/

That is funny, love the tweets in it.

You never see the video where Jose slates a Big Sam team for parking the bus? You never see the multiple interviews where Jose thinks there is a ref conspiracy against him?

Any manager who does that is deflecting that their own tactics failed.
    If a team thinks it is vulnerable to losing then park the bus.
    If a team thinks the opposition is weak when a long ball is played, then play long ball.
    If a team thinks that a team is there for the taking then play a high line and attack.

Jose has reigned in his comments since the banishment for comments earlier in the season that got him in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't see the relevance to his point?

Did he say Jose is not a bad loser or something?

Deflect all you want from Klopp's pissing and moaning, he still went home in a whambulance, it was frankly pathetic, you could see how upset he was with his team, and his own inability to deal with the tactic hold on to the win

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

All i seen in his post match interview was a resounding admiration of how Liverpool played. Correct what Klopp thought he wanted and that was it.

Stark contrast in how his teams defensive display was portrayed last time out.

All i seen in his post match interview was a resounding admiration of how Liverpool played. Correct what Klopp thought he wanted and that was it.

Stark contrast in how his teams defensive display was portrayed last time out.

He whinged about hoping the big bad media would go after Liverpool about parking the bus they way they got Jose in the first match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

zerks keep this good stuff coming. This stuff is getting me through a normally tough Monday:D

• Advertisement

We've already had more shots on target in the league at Old Trafford so far this season than we had in the whole of last season.All we need is a few more of them to find the net.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/820923128675258368

He whinged about hoping the big bad media would go after Liverpool about parking the bus they way they got Jose in the first match.

No, Klopp whinged.

Jose praised the negative performance of Liverpool, saying they performed it well and that when United did it earlier in the season they were heavily criticised, he stirring the pot musing whether Liverpool would incur the same criticism. Mostly a joke since we all know they won't.

He threw a little jab. Klopp had a proper cry, little differences I guess.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

zerks keep this good stuff coming. This stuff is getting me through a normally tough Monday:D

Here's more gems about a conspiracy: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154818496096132&id=119183616131

:pac::pac:

Really, you got that from this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-1-1-liverpool-9627943

I think he actually said, people should be impressed by how well liverpool player and their defensive tactics. But if you find some hidden meaning in that then fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

No, Klopp whinged.

Jose praised the negative performance of Liverpool, saying they performed it well and that when United did it earlier in the season they were heavily criticised, he stirring the pot musing whether Liverpool would incur the same criticism. Mostly a joke since we all know they won't.

He threw a little jab. Klopp had a proper cry, little differences I guess.

Subtle differences indeed, like how Liverpool didn't actually park the bus from minute one, or how they didn't systematically waste time all game slow walking to take frees etc..., or how they didn't commit niggling fouls all game, they took the lead and then played counter attack from a winning position, they didn't play Firmino as a auxiliary full back a la Rashford etc etc lots of subtle differences.

• Advertisement

Not being a smart arse but is the match thread in any way worth a read. was I close on the over 6.5 cards?

Subtle differences indeed, like how Liverpool didn't actually park the bus from minute one, or how they didn't systematically waste time all game slow walking to take frees etc..., or how they didn't commit niggling fouls all game, they took the lead and then played counter attack from a winning position, they didn't play Firmino as a auxiliary full back a la Rashford etc etc lots of subtle differences.

You cling to whatever you need to. I think you know it was a very good result for you yesterday and fair play for stepping out of the Liverpool thread to come tell us your opinions.

Without even going in to look I would place a large bet that the likes of The Turd have been masturbating gleefully talking about conversations over here but wouldn't think twice about making a meaningful contribution.

I don't agree with you on plenty but I do respect that you will come here and state your case.

You talk about conspiracies, but you really ought to read back your last few posts.

Its clear as day that Mourinho enjoys the defensive element of the game, he genuinely seemed to appreciate the tactics employed. His point is that whilst he did it was a park the bus element. but liverpool did it nothing will be said.

Lets be honest you scored a goal but you did employ a counter attacking option. The penalty, was the only real chance you had on goal in the first half. That goal allowed the counter attacking to be a lot more substantial in terms of united coming out and playing.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    From BBC

United played 53 long balls in the game - classified by Opta as "a forward pass that is 35 yards or more and is kicked into a space or area on the pitch rather than a precise pass aimed at a particular team-mate" - while Liverpool themselves hit 34

Perhaps Klopp should have a read of that stat and then get himself........

687474703a2f2f693433322e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f717134322f676f6c6c756d7265642f496d616765325f7a707331646262303939312e6a7067

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm just waiting for the differentiation between a Klopp-long-ball and a Mourinho-long-ball, my money is on the former being somehow "classier" than the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I'm just waiting for the differentiation between a Klopp-long-ball and a Mourinho-long-ball, my money is on the former being somehow "classier" than the latter.

More tactically astute (longballenpresse). Its not reliving pressure, it's diverting it elsewhere

Easy, his is simply a long range pin point passing tactic whereas Mourinho's is obviously a hoof it anywhere technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The match was a good one, United played well and made silly mistakes, a draw was probably a fair result in my opinion. Honestly thought we had clearer chances but that should be the expectation playing at home.

On another note, the Everton city game was a decent watch yesterday, Everton seem to have found themselves a cracking centre midfielder in Tom Davies. He got a goal yesterday but had a great all around game! Has the potential to be a star

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Our long balls are nicer than yours!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Me thinks Klopp was doing what a good manager of a team should; pandering to his fans and winding up rivals. And it's worked, to an extent.

Couldn't care less what Klopp thinks of us. We got a point when we drastically underpreformed, so I'll happily move onto the next game now.

• Advertisement

http://www.football-observatory.com/

Pogba valued at over €155 million.A lot of factors are taken into consideration in coming up with that value.
    Since 2012, the CIES Football Observatory research team has developed a unique approach to estimate on a scientific basis the transfer value of professional football players. The statistical model through which fair prices are calculated includes multiple variables on player performance (minutes, goals, etc.) and characteristics (age, contract, etc.), as well as data on employer clubs and potential recruiting

http://www.football-observatory.com/

Pogba valued at over €155 million.A lot of factors are taken into consideration in coming up with that value.

We got a bargain. Bangkok was right

Really, you got that from this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-1-1-liverpool-9627943

I think he actually said, people should be impressed by how well liverpool player and their defensive tactics. But if you find some hidden meaning in that then fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

No, I didn't, I got it from his Sky post match interview, I have not watched the one you posted.
    You talk about conspiracies, but you really ought to read back your last few posts.

Its clear as day that Mourinho enjoys the defensive element of the game, he genuinely seemed to appreciate the tactics employed. His point is that whilst he did it was a park the bus element. but liverpool did it nothing will be said.

Lets be honest you scored a goal but you did employ a counter attacking option. The penalty, was the only real chance you had on goal in the first half. That goal allowed the counter attacking to be a lot more substantial in terms of united coming out and playing.

I've outlined already to stringer why I think there was a lot of differences about how Liverpool approached this game compared to how United approached the Anfield game. To add to it I think a few of the good utd chances came from individual errors of Liverpool players losing possession and then leaving us wide open at the back rather than utd dominating the first half.

There was no bus parking! 2nd half yous had us pinned in our own half, again not a bus park, we just couldn't get out, it's bound to happen at OT, Coutinho then came on and the match changed we had an out ball. IMO Liverpool attempted to play footbal but can only do so much away to a good side, in the reverse fixture from the start Utd looked for a draw, Mourinho is famous for it, the team selection and tactics employed was very negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we make it threw to final of the league cup I really hope it's against Southampton I don't think I could go threw a week of trash talk and crap again ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    We got a bargain. Bangkok was right

wouldnt swap him for any midfield player in the game today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Easy, his is simply a long range pin point passing tactic whereas Mourinho's is obviously a hoof it anywhere technique.

Rumour has it he goes out on the pitch beforehand and measures the angles himself, a true visionary.

A decent read here,Lallana sent out to man mark Carrick and we get called negative??

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/15/jose-mourinho-jurgen-klopp-manchester-united-liverpool-tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carrick is your best midfielder statistically speaking so it made sense, no/yes?

• Advertisement

Carrick is your best midfielder statistically speaking so it made sense, no/yes?

Lallana has been one of your best attacking players,Klopp nullified that threat by putting him in a man marking role,Jose would have been crucified for doing something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement