Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

Carrick is your best midfielder statistically speaking so it made sense, no/yes?

A perfectly good tactical decision by Klopp
    That's not the point zerks is making
    When the shoe is on the other foot however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't see what's negative about man marking its been used for years same as I don't see what's negative about long balls in last 15 minutes if you can't break down the defence.

Funny thing is that our goal when we did score was as a result of two or three crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    A decent read here,Lallana sent out to man mark Carrick and we get called negative??

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/15/jose-mourinho-jurgen-klopp-manchester-united-liverpool-tactics

The media prefer Klopp because of his antics on the touch line and some of the things he says in interviews. Jose has a bad reputation so he's always going to be tarred with the negative, parking the bus comments.

It's all just a load of waffle really. Both managers wanted to win the game and set out their tactics accordingly. Despite pressing united all game, Liverpool did nothing with the chances they had. United missed a fair few chances of their own until the equaliser. All the rubbish surrounding long balls and Fellaini is just to fit the narrative that Jose is negative and Klopp plays outstanding beautiful football.

It's all just media hype and it's a massive pain to listen to. The way sky we're going on about the game you'd swear it was going to be an epic battle. Remember Red Monday...?

I now apologise to everyone, United and Liverpool fans alike, for mentioning red Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

zerks wrote: »
    Lallana has been one of your best attacking players,Klopp nullified that threat by putting him in a man marking role,Jose would have been crucified for doing something like that.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    A perfectly good tactical decision by Klopp
    That's not the point zerks is making
    When the shoe is on the other foot however

Really is that what this is about? Christ on a bike. Coaches make decisions for the best of the team in the game in question - one criticism of Klopp has been that he has no Plan B, yet that was deployed against Man City and again yesterday (he also used it against Boro to win). It won 4 points out of 6 against top 6 opposition.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't see what's negative about man marking its been used for years same as I don't see what's negative about long balls in last 15 minutes if you can't break down the defence.

Funny thing is that our goal when we did score was as a result of two or three crosses.

Neither do I
    There was not a negative for such a tactic
    I'm not debating that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's funny seeing Liverpool fans justifying negative tactics now after the majority of them finding great humour in it earlier in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really is that what this is about? Christ on a bike. Coaches make decisions for the best of the team in the game in question - one criticism of Klopp has been that he has no Plan B, yet that was deployed against Man City and again yesterday (he also used it against Boro to win). It won 4 points out of 6 against top 6 opposition.

No one is critical of Klopp for doing it. You've been told that it's a perfectly valid tactic, but that's not the point is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is the hypocrisy of people slating Mourinho earlier in the season for doing similar, but praising Klopp now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

As they say in the GAA and beating the blanket defence sometimes you need to go over it,Utd did something similar yesterday,Liverpool packed the midfield and pressed Utd,only one thing for it go long,anything to get a result,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jayop wrote: »
    No one is critical of Klopp for doing it. You've been told that it's a perfectly valid tactic, but that's not the point is it?
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    It is the hypocrisy of people slating Mourinho earlier in the season for doing similar, but praising Klopp now.

The people? Them?! The bastards and their opinions eh? Whatever next. Ultimately it's about points on the point not scoring points on the internet.

/fin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant wait for the League Cup final thread between Utd and Pool.

Pencil me in for some of that action. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Not long home from the game. Best atmosphere I have ever experienced in Old Trafford. Place went absolutely nuts when the equaliser went in.
    Seriously though how do some people get tickets to big games like that. Woman 2 seats to my left was playing candy crush on her phone when we were getting to our seats. She then stayed seated for the minutes applause pre match for the late Graham Taylor and must have been the only person in the whole ground who didn't react in any way at all to Zlatan's goal, just sat there when I mean everyone around her was going mental.
    Zlatan, what a man. Have to admit I was sceptical of what he could actually bring to the table when signed but consider me scraping egg off my face. Seeing it live I didn't actually appreciate what a brilliant finish his goal was until I seen it on tv later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

KH25 wrote: »
    The media prefer Klopp because of his antics on the touch line and some of the things he says in interviews. Jose has a bad reputation so he's always going to be tarred with the negative, parking the bus comments.

It's all just a load of waffle really. Both managers wanted to win the game and set out their tactics accordingly. Despite pressing united all game, Liverpool did nothing with the chances they had. United missed a fair few chances of their own until the equaliser. All the rubbish surrounding long balls and Fellaini is just to fit the narrative that Jose is negative and Klopp plays outstanding beautiful football.

It's all just media hype and it's a massive pain to listen to. The way sky we're going on about the game you'd swear it was going to be an epic battle. Remember Red Monday...?

I now apologise to everyone, United and Liverpool fans alike, for mentioning red Monday.

It sells papers,gets viewers and gets clicks that's all they care about the problem is some idiots buy into all that crap.

No problem whatsoever with the way either team went about yesterday and Klopp pandered to the fans with the remarks in the interview can't really blame him for that.

Draw was a fair result .

yabadabado wrote: »

Everytime you post I shout out your username in my head and wish I was a kid again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Everytime you post I shout out your username in my head and wish I was a kid again...

Yabadabadoooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I cant wait for the League Cup final thread between Utd and Pool.

Pencil me in for some of that action. :o

Bit premature no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

limnam wrote: »
    Bit premature no?

Liverpool... Southampton... same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Subtle differences indeed, like how Liverpool didn't actually park the bus from minute one, or how they didn't systematically waste time all game slow walking to take frees etc..., or how they didn't commit niggling fouls all game, they took the lead and then played counter attack from a winning position, they didn't play Firmino as a auxiliary full back a la Rashford etc etc lots of subtle differences.

Wait. You watched the game and didn't see Liverpool's systematic time wasting? They were all at it. I think Milner was down for 2 minutes and Mignolet took about a minute over a kick out. It got to the stage where Mata was collecting the ball for Liverpool throws to prevent it. Get over yourself.

Liam O wrote: »
    Wait. You watched the game and didn't see Liverpool's systematic time wasting? They were all at it. I think Milner was down for 2 minutes and Mignolet took about a minute over a kick out. It got to the stage where Mata was collecting the ball for Liverpool throws to prevent it. Get over yourself.

I was going to bring this up yesterday but felt it would seen as sour grapes.

They were time wasting in the first few minutes into the first half and seconds into the second. Wasn't expecting that at all. Guess the fear factor is back at OT after all :D

FB_IMG_1484594294944.jpg
    No team is above it

• Advertisement

No team is above it

That was badly cropped, you're missing one :pac:

FB_IMG_1484594294944.jpg
    No team is above it

9-0-1 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think Milner was down for 2 minutes

Did you see the challenge? Looked like a sore one to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Man Utd fan here, every team does that and we do too in certain circumstances. Anyways it's up to the ref to add on the time for that which he gave 4 mins injury time.

As for the game itself, well we played fairly poorly overall and a lot of that was due to the pressing/hassling of the Liverpool players. Many times Miki and Martial had the ball but suddenly had 3-4 Liverpool players surrounding him. I felt the FB's(Valencia and particularly Darmian) and the other MF's(Pogba/Herrera) to a certain extent should have done a better job helping them out by moving into vacant positions as an outlet for them.

As for Klopp complaining about the long ball, it was actually a chance of tactics that worked for Mourinho while Klopp failed to react. In the context of what happened in the game Klopp's team lost from a winning position with a few minutes to go so he should rather be complaining about that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

8-10 wrote: »

So he should have been taken off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    I think Milner was down for 2 minutes

Having a mare on my phone and mixed up the quote when deleting, was trying to quote Liam O

Liverpool definitely slowed the game down when ahead but I think it's misguided to use Milner's incident to illustrate it. Looked very sore to me and treatment on the field justified. If it was one of the Brazilians or somebody I'd agree but Milner doesn't strike me as a guy to cry pain for the sake of it

Not long home from the game. Best atmosphere I have ever experienced in Old Trafford. Place went absolutely nuts when the equaliser went in.
    Seriously though how do some people get tickets to big games like that. Woman 2 seats to my left was playing candy crush on her phone when we were getting to our seats. She then stayed seated for the minutes applause pre match for the late Graham Taylor and must have been the only person in the whole ground who didn't react in any way at all to Zlatan's goal, just sat there when I mean everyone around her was going mental.
    Zlatan, what a man. Have to admit I was sceptical of what he could actually bring to the table when signed but consider me scraping egg off my face. Seeing it live I didn't actually appreciate what a brilliant finish his goal was until I seen it on tv later.

It's mad, but happens in all forms of events and entertainment. A friend whose season ticket I use, I met up with him and his new gf at a wedding over the weekend there. He took the lovely lady to the Middlesbrough game on New Year's Eve (2-1, late comeback from 0-1) and it was all lost on her. We were laughing as he was telling me how he lost the run of himself when Pogba got the winner, them sitting 4 seats from the touchline, and his gf looking at him like "What are ya doing ya dickhead?" pacman.gif

My gf was part of the conversation too, and both her and I acknowledged that it would also be the same with us. Her: "When I get asked if I want to go on a romantic overnight trip to rainy Manchester, I know that stankratz wasn't able to get one of the lads to go". I cannot say that she's wrong.

In fairness to the girls though, I know lots of lads who would rather watch a season of RTE Sunday Mass than a 5 minute compilation of the Premier League's greatest goals, and girls who are crazy about their soccer.

Anyway, good to hear Comic Book Guy that the atmosphere was loud in the stadium. In that period near the end at 1-1 where United were chasing a winner, and the Liverpool players were trying to run down some time (Mig with his distribution, their throw-ins, Milner going to take a corner) you got the feeling that a winner was coming in which case the roofs would have blown off all of the stands. Well all of them except the connecting corner of the East and South stands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can't bring myself to read any of the pages since the match as Im sure there's a lot of over reactive nonsense. Just looking forward to the next game now to get that awful performance out of my mind. Onward and upward.

Laughing at Balague saying its not Pep's fault his players cant or wont play the way he wants. it's the players not being good enough for his tactics. Apparently he needs better players than what City have. So basically needs Lionel Messi and a league full of teams who roll over and die at the sight of the City shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The replay clearly showed Rooney caught Milner on the ankle. Why else would he go over and apologise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can't bring myself to read any of the pages since the match as Im sure there's a lot of over reactive nonsense. Just looking forward to the next game now to get that awful performance out of my mind. Onward and upward.

Laughing at Balague saying its not Pep's fault his players cant or wont play the way he wants. it's the players not being good enough for his tactics. Apparently he needs better players than what City have. So basically needs Lionel Messi and a league full of teams who roll over and die at the sight of the City shirt.

Pep was awful yesterday, the face on his when 2-0 down was about as inspirational as a rotten banana.
    Failed to changed tactics and got what he deserved.
    Balague is deluded. Pelegrini would easily have done a better job with those players yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

FB_IMG_1484594294944.jpg
    No team is above it

That's not parking the bus.

That's Kloppenbussen.

Now its remarkably similar to parking the bus.

In fact there are zero differences between Kloppenbussen and parking the bus.

However Kloppenbussen is orchestrated by the best manager in the league.

Kloppenbussen won two league titles in a two team league.

Kloppenbussen makes people dream again.

So naturally, Kloppenbussen is infinitely superior in every conceivable way to ol stinky pants Jose and his bus.

German effeciency.

Innit.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pep was awful yesterday, the face on his when 2-0 down was about as inspirational as a rotten banana.
    Failed to changed tactics and got what he deserved.
    Balague is deluded. Pelegrini would easily have done a better job with those players yesterday.

His interview after the game was quality.

He really looks like a man on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Rod Munch wrote: »
    That's not parking the bus.

That's Kloppenbussen.

Now its remarkably similar to parking the bus.

In fact there are zero differences between Kloppenbussen and parking the bus.

However Kloppenbussen is orchestrated by the best manager in the league.

Kloppenbussen won two league titles in a two team league.

Kloppenbussen makes people dream again.

So naturally, Kloppenbussen is infinitely superior in every conceivable way to ol stinky pants Jose and his bus.

German effeciency.

Innit.

Only one thing worse than being continually talked about.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Only one thing worse than being continually talked about.

Not winning a league for a quarter of a century?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Van Gaal has seemingly announced his retirement, apparently having turned down a massive offer from Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

U23 match at anfield.. goss had a peno saved and willock scored in the 93rd min to win it

https://streamable.com/e6olc

Not sure if this stat was pulled out yet.

Yesterdays long ball %

Utd - 20%
    Liverpool 19%

Jose should hang his head in shame.

astradave wrote: »
    U23 match at anfield.. goss had a peno saved and willock scored in the 93rd min to win it

https://streamable.com/e6olc

It followed the same course of red Monday it was mostly poor football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

limnam wrote: »
    Not sure if this stat was pulled out yet.

Yesterdays long ball %

Utd - 20%
    Liverpool 19%

Jose should hang his head in shame.

Did someone say what a long ball is? We play two different ways mainly, ball into Henderson and a few shot passes around the middle and look to create space. The second is where it's played to LB/RB and Milner or Clyne then switch to the far side of the field at a diagonal into space for the other can pick it up.

I don't see anything wrong with Jose bringing Elbows on yesterday (called him that because I can't spell his real name :pac:). We are weak defending that type of ball and he's brilliant at bringing the ball under control so it makes sense to put us under pressure that way. If my team is physically taller then I'd look to use that.

On the balance of play a draw was a fair result. I saw a few people mention that Ming was MOTM but he only made two saves so I really don't see that at all, I thought Jones was very assured for most of the game but there wasn't one stand out player for either team.

I think Mick may have pointed out that Lalana was man marking Carrick (apologies if that wasn't you Mick). Lalana is exceptional at closing players down and hassling and harrying to opposition so if he was asked to do a job on Carrick he would have had very little time on the ball.

On Pogba, if he scores that one on one early in the game, or even hits the target, he goes on to have a great game. He seemed to really let that miss affect him yesterday and then we gave him no time on the ball and he got more and more frustrated. In time he'll learn to deal better with those situations and will help him improve a lot. Feck sake at 23 I was getting scuttered and playing poker most nights :D

Anyway that's my short two cents. Glad we don't have to play you again this year in the league because I really don't enjoy watching our games :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

that club that bid 80m for costa have had a 45m bid for falcao turned down!!!

monaco want 30% more. Mendes making some amount of money from china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    that club that bid 80m for costa have had a 45m bid for falcao turned down!!!

monaco want 30% more. Mendes making some amount of money from china

Nice seeing him back scoring again. Could never fault him for effort when he was with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Avenged Sevenfold were in Manchester tonight, and David De Gea was there.

https://twitter.com/D_DeGea/status/821096034810130432

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Is Klopp tapping De Gea up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Saw them in 08 I think, when they were the support act to Metallica very good live

RIP rev

emmetkenny wrote: »

Nah that's the band's drummer Brooks Wackerman..

Nah that's the band's drummer Brooks Wackerman..

I know that he just looks a bit like Klopp.... It was a joke :pac:

Hococop wrote: »
    Saw them in 08 I think when they were the support act to Metallica very good

RIP rev

Have all their albums still haven't seen them live. Missed them in Dublin earlier this month..

I know that he just looks a bit like Klopp.... It was a joke :pac:

Ah right my bad.. Though I can see a teeny resemblance to Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Na the band asked him to park the tour bus :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement