Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    that club that bid 80m for costa have had a 45m bid for falcao turned down!!!

monaco want 30% more. Mendes making some amount of money from china

Yeah that pesky unnamed Chinese club are bidding for everyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hococop wrote: »
    Na the band asked him to park the tour bus :D

No he's Gegenbussen (someone should TM that :D) all the fans to the gig quickly, squashing them in and giving them no time to stand around :pac:

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Nah that's the band's drummer Brooks Wackerman..

He looks so out of place in that picture.. Dave looks more like a member of the band than he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Avenged Sevenfold were in Manchester tonight, and David De Gea was there.

https://twitter.com/D_DeGea/status/821096034810130432

Surprisingly thin legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Surprisingly thin legs.

Majority of footballers are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bangkok wrote: »
    Majority of footballers are

why's that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

limnam wrote: »
    Not sure if this stat was pulled out yet.

Yesterdays long ball %

Utd - 20%
    Liverpool 19%

Jose should hang his head in shame.

That wasn't the stat. It was the other way round .

From balls.ie

"Jurgen Klopp complained of Manchester United's long ball tactics in the closing stages of the draw at Old Trafford. In a remarkable commitment to balance, the total amount of long balls played by each team this season has been calculated, and Liverpool have played the most: 1417 to United's 1346. Also, 19% of United's passes yesterday were classed as long balls, compared to 20% of Liverpool's"

I suppose the long balls up to Chuntinio were passes whereas if the same ball went to Fellani it was hoofball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ronin247 wrote: »

From balls.ie

"Jurgen Klopp complained of Manchester United's long ball tactics in the closing stages of the draw at Old Trafford. In a remarkable commitment to balance, the total amount of long balls played by each team this season has been calculated, and Liverpool have played the most: 1417 to United's 1346. Also, 19% of United's passes yesterday were classed as long balls, compared to 20% of Liverpool's"

I suppose the long balls up to Chuntinio were passes whereas if the same ball went to Fellani it was hoofball

The balls article is actually based on the entire season, the OPs was just on yesterdays game but the rest of your post is on point :)

It's such rich criticism from Klopp, the same guy who signed Caulker and threw him on as a target man on multiple occasions to try salvage a game including against us last January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ronin247 wrote: »

From balls.ie

Balls have it wrong. Sky had it as 20% for united and 19% for Liverpool yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Liam O wrote: »
    Wait. You watched the game and didn't see Liverpool's systematic time wasting? They were all at it. I think Milner was down for 2 minutes and Mignolet took about a minute over a kick out. It got to the stage where Mata was collecting the ball for Liverpool throws to prevent it. Get over yourself.

Yes they did it in the 2nd half like all teams would do whilst trying to hold on to a lead, talking about Milners injury is a bit of a pisstake, he was hardly play acting Rooney did him badly.

At Anfield I clearly remember Utd from the start in the first few minutes slow walking to take throw ins and free kicks, they were committing niggling fouls, trying to make it as bitty as possible, all this was happening at 0-0 you's didn't even have a lead! Liverpool were not at this yesterday in the first half.

I'm sure lots of fans were praising Mourinho for these tactics of stifling the opposition and quieting the home crowd down, sure he's known to employ these tactics against big teams away from home isn't he? So me pointing out that fact should not bother yous, it's just thinking Liverpool or Klopp did the same is delusional, we've already beaten Chelsea and Arsenal and City last season by playing football not utilising the containing game like Mourinho does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I want to make myself clear. It's not my fight and I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yes they did it in the 2nd half like all teams would do whilst trying to hold on to a lead, talking about Milners injury is a bit of a pisstake, he was hardly play acting Rooney did him badly.

At Anfield I clearly remember Utd from the start in the first few minutes slow walking to take throw ins and free kicks, they were committing niggling fouls, trying to make it as bitty as possible, all this was happening at 0-0 you's didn't even have a lead! Liverpool were not at this yesterday in the first half.

I'm sure lots of fans were praising Mourinho for these tactics of stifling the opposition and quieting the home crowd down, sure he's known to employ these tactics against big teams away from home isn't he? So me pointing out that fact should not bother yous, it's just thinking Liverpool or Klopp did the same is delusional, we've already beaten Chelsea and Arsenal and City last season by playing football not utilising the containing game like Mourinho does.

You're remembering it wrong. United took the game to Liverpool for the first 20-30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You're remembering it wrong. United took the game to Liverpool for the first 20-30 minutes.

In between the slow walking time wasting and other such antics, yes they pressed well and played well the first 20-30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Louis Van Gaal retires from management due to family reasons. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say I had a soft spot for the mad bastard.The football was pretty dire, but he stuck to his guns and went toe to toe with the media. He gave us some great wins against our big rivals , a FA Cup and gave some young players a chance. In spite of this his greatest legacy will probably be the pissed up speech he gave at the end of year party ! A great character and manager, just the wrong fit for the club at the time. Enjoy your retirement Louis.

• Advertisement

In between the slow walking time wasting and other such antics, yes they pressed well and played well the first 20-30.

Can't say I noticed it. Probably depends on whether you have a preconceived narrative to adhere to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

LVG retired. Seemed like a good guy despite his boring football, he did beat a lot of top sides, got top 4, and an FA cup.

Also said "cheeeeeese" for a selfie I got with him, so that adds his legacy :P

Watch from 1-1 again, around 84 minutes on. One team were clearly chasing a win from then, the other were content to let the clock wind down and try to take the sting out of the game (Pool's throw-ins, Mig with his distribution, Milner going to take a corner). I don't blame Liverpool at all for that, plus they could have got a winner on the counter themselves with United committing so many forward, I'm just saying it happened after they lost the lead and not just before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

stankratz wrote: »
    Watch from 1-1 again, around 84 minutes on. One team were clearly chasing a win from then, the other were content to let the clock wind down and try to take the sting out of the game (Pool's throw-ins, Mig with his distribution, Milner going to take a corner). I don't blame Liverpool at all for that, plus they could have got a winner on the counter themselves with United committing so many forward, I'm just saying it happened after they lost the lead and not just before it.

There is no shame in parking the bus, it's the fact that they think they are above it and have bullshít justifications when they do it that gets me every time.

I couldn't give a shít whether Klopp parks the bus or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The point that people are making, that you clearly seem to be missing is that when Klopp employs long ball or Kloppenbussen you boys praise him for taking the sting out of the game yet or changing things up to counteract the other side, yet you are the very same people that took the piss out of Jose doing the same.

Like people have been saying all along, managers must adapt to various scenario's and that plan A will not work all the time. When we played ye at home we werent in great form and ye were scoring goals for fun, would any manager try and play their normal style against a very potent attacking team? Of course they wouldn't!

Its the monumental hypocrisy from large tranches of LFC fans that is amusing me personally.

Jose got his tactics right in most games this season, just like Klopp got his right on Sunday.

Klopp does it he is a genius.

Jose does it and he is negative, anti football.

Can you genuinely not see how hypocritical that is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

WHAT
    no more iron tulip,csar of aalkmaar and horny football????

I'm crying inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    WHAT
    no more iron tulip,csar of aalkmaar and horny football????

I'm crying inside

He only began announcing it yesterday but it could take 10 years for him to actually retire because it's a process and even then in 8 years time he may just take another job because it's risky business this retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LVG was a product of his time and was in footballing terms a dinosaur however he did get us back into the top 4 in his first year and won a cup in his second. Not bad in a two year stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Rod Munch wrote: »

Its the monumental hypocrisy from large tranches of LFC fans that is amusing me personally.

Jose got his tactics right in most games this season, just like Klopp got his right on Sunday.

Klopp does it he is a genius.

Jose does it and he is negative, anti football.

Can you genuinely not see how hypocritical that is?

Your failing to see a very important point.

When Liverpool hoof a long ball, it's a creative long ball not just a "long ball"

Why united fans keep ignoring this fact is beyond me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Not bad in a two year stint.

He did awful for a two year stint and really set the club back years.

He will just go back on a retirement decision anyway, he likes going backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He did awful for a two year stint and really set the club back years.

He will just go back on a retirement decision anyway, he likes going backwards.

Ah I wouldn't say Awful, he did a lot of good with the youth and apparently put the foundations in place to get the youth setup as a whole within the club back on track, scouts, facilities etc etc.

Yes a lot of the youth brought in was of necessity but he stuck with them for a good few games after that.

I honestly think he'd be better suited to a Director type role as he obviously has some good organisational skills and how clubs should be run behind the scenes.

Football was dire, but christ he did well against the bigger teams. Mostly because they tried to beat us, and we had space. It was against the terrible teams where he stuck with his 600 passes left and right that killed him.

He made sure pardew will never dance again
    download.jpg
    For that I love him

I also love him for this
    louis_van_gaal_flop_against_arsenals.gif

And with that
    download.gif

He is gone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Van Gaal has seemingly announced his retirement, apparently having turned down a massive offer from Asia.

Saw that this morning on SSN.

Hopefully leads to some good reading/articles or a decent TV show or two in the coming weeks or months.

Thoroughly disappointed it didn't work out for him at United, and I felt a bit shortchanged that I didn't get the Van Gaal I expected. But in time, depending on how things go, his time may be looked back on more fondly then it immediately is.

Provided some great moments and memories, some great results and memorable moments against rivals (His record against rivals was exceptional). He really showed his stuff in the big matches, and it just seemed he couldn't work out how to deal with the rest of the teams who would sit deep.

That defiance he consistently showed, while operating under incredible pressure, pressure and a barrage from media and fans that I struggle to remember being so prolonged and intense anywhere else, it really brought me onside again for him.

And whatever about how people thought of him or the act itself, I was absolutely delighted when I saw him rock into that press conference at Wembley and plonk that cup on the table.

One of the great modern coaches in European football, and the game, youngsters especially, have lost a principled and strong coach who was the personification of "If your good enough, your old enough".

Wish him all the best in his retirement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/821287676213071873

Simon Stone saying Joe Reilly will move to Shef. United on loan today, and Sean Goss will be moving to QPR, possibly on a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The morning papers saying we are looking at Kieran Tierney from Celtic.
    The Independent saying we will sign Griezmann in the Summer but he'll cost £100 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

zerks wrote: »
    The Independent saying we will sign Griezmann in the Summer but he'll cost £100 million.

Pocket change.

I'd be more interested in Dembelle, looks a real talent. Strong, quick and physical and from watching the Barcelona game gave heir defense a real handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Grizemann a year ago would worry me about being a transfer saga we will all be disappointed with.

But after Pogba, things have just changed. The fact he is playing with an Athletico team that has gone of the boil too. Him being constantly mentioned as an Ibrahimovic replacement though, seems like such a move away from conventional Mourinho.

Like I guess I would have assumed Martial is the natural heir there. But if he continues in this vein of playing on the left.

Can't help but keep tabs on André Silva at the moment from afar. Not sure if he has an outrageous buyout clause with Porto, but he seems to be maintaining a rich vein of form. Think Moratta might be well on the move again this summer. Don't rate him for the fees his costing but something about him feels like someone Jose would look for in a striker.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Grizemann a year ago would worry me about being a transfer saga we will all be disappointed with.

But after Pogba, things have just changed. The fact he is playing with an Athletico team that has gone of the boil too. Him being constantly mentioned as an Ibrahimovic replacement though, seems like such a move away from conventional Mourinho.

Like I guess I would have assumed Martial is the natural heir there. But if he continues in this vein of playing on the left.

Can't help but keep tabs on André Silva at the moment from afar. Not sure if he has an outrageous buyout clause with Porto, but he seems to be maintaining a rich vein of form. Think Moratta might be well on the move again this summer. Don't rate him for the fees his costing but something about him feels like someone Jose would look for in a striker.

Like to add that he is still having a good season even if the rest of the team are having a bad time of it.

This makes a move for him even more likely to be honest. I'm hoping that AM finish the season in disappointing fashion thus fueling his want for a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Like to add that he is still having a good season even if the rest of the team are having a bad time of it.

This makes a move for him even more likely to be honest. I'm hoping that AM finish the season in disappointing fashion thus fueling his want for a move.

What do people think on the likelihood of such a move is Utd miss out on CL again?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What do people think on the likelihood of such a move is Utd miss out on CL again?

Nothing really. Look at Pogba
    Finacial Muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nothing really. Look at Pogba
    Finacial Muscle

Tbh, I think its important. Players like him want to be at the top and a club outside the CL two seasons in a row cannot claim to be in the top tier anymore if this is allowed occur. Pogba was an unusual one, he wanted to go to United to finish what he perceives as unfinished business. However I am confident the team will continue its great run and stack points along the way and challenge strongly for fourth or better.

Winning the EL is another possibility, and I am fully confident of this teams ability to compete with any team on a one on one basis.

I hope van Gaal doesn't hang about with an autobiography. I'm very interested in what he has to say about what's going on behind the scenes at United and if there's any toxic presences in the dressing room but I feel he might be above that.

Tbh, I think its important. Players like him want to be at the top and a club outside the CL two seasons in a row cannot claim to be in the top tier anymore if this is allowed occur. Pogba was an unusual one, he wanted to go to United to finish what he perceives as unfinished business. However I am confident the team will continue its great run and stack points along the way and challenge strongly for fourth or better.

Winning the EL is another possibility, and I am fully confident of this teams ability to compete with any team on a one on one basis.

That's all well and good but offer the club and Greizmann enough and it won't matter.

I hope van Gaal doesn't hang about with an autobiography. I'm very interested in what he has to say about what's going on behind the scenes at United and if there's any toxic presences in the dressing room but I feel he might be above that.

Yehh I think he will be the polar opposite to fergie in retirement too he will go off quietly to his family life without big drama and infairness he should be commended for that since he was sacked he has been heard of fek all and he could of went the other way and talked left right and center.

• Advertisement

That's an eye watering sum of money

There are only maybe three clubs on the planet that generate enough revenue to make that kind of investment sane.

Must be horrifying even for the sugardaddy funded nouveau riche nevermind the big clubs who have to count pennies because their investment history is a train wreck. :)

Reading posts about Griezmann and then scroll down and see "Man United have triggered.."

Heart skips a beat and then see that it's Valencia. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The thing about griezmanm is that it is a complete departure from the type of strikers Jose has used all through his career. Drogba, Ibra, Ronnie all huge powerful men. Unless he's being bought to play as one of the three behind a striker to come in the following year.

Korat wrote: »
    That's an eye watering sum of money

There are only maybe three clubs on the planet that generate enough revenue to make that kind of investment sane.

Must be horrifying even for the sugardaddy funded nouveau riche nevermind the big clubs who have to count pennies because their investment history is a train wreck. :)

Dont know where they are getting the figure from.. his release clause is 80m euros. Signed a new contract last year IIRC to push it up from 60m to 80m

Jayop wrote: »
    The thing about griezmanm is that it is a complete departure from the type of strikers Jose has used all through his career. Drogba, Ibra, Ronnie all huge powerful men. Unless he's being bought to play as one of the three behind a striker to come in the following year.

I suspect he's eyeing up a striker in that mould for the summer but is keeping it off the radar for now. I'm not a fan but Lukaku looks the obvious choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

The muppet in me can't help but hope we sign one or 2 players this window. I fear any injury to one of our main 3 CM could put a dent in our team. I think another pacey winger to replace depay should be looked at,move rashford back upfront as backup striker. CB is lookin safe until the summer currently especially with Bailly due back next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Translation: "I really want him to b*tch about and blame everything on Rooney."

Translation: "I really want him to b*tch about and blame everything on Rooney."

What's the story with you and Rooney?

If you know him or have met him I understand the loyalty. I have my own blindspots too. ;)

Jayop wrote: »

This would be the more likely situation
    Just in behind the main striker

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Apparently Utd and Arsenal are scouting Celtic LB Kieran Tierney,

Now its the Sun that is reporting it so take that with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement