Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

https://twitter.com/tbrfootball/status/821489048053227520

The end of this clip annoys me slightly. Not trying to bash Tony V but he needs to be getting this in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The end of this clip annoys me slightly. Not trying to bash Tony V but he needs to be getting this in the box.

Valencia hitting defenders ankles is just a narrative.

Valencia hitting defenders ankles is just a narrative.

?
    *Edit* Nm, missed some of the previous posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I was disgusted watching that live.. 4 players in the box.. 3 of them Zlatan, Pogba and Fellaini and another was totally free of any defenders. Im convinced If any decent cross went in there, we would have scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

M!Ck^ wrote: »

https://streamable.com/c27uk

And here's an example of Valencia turning nothing into a crossing opportunity.
    astradave wrote: »
    I was disgusted watching that live.. 4 players in the box.. 3 of them Zlatan, Pogba and Fellaini and another was totally free of any defenders. Im convinced If any decent cross went in there, we would have scored

Its not like we had a 4 vs 1, not sure how you could be convinced of anything.

beno619 wrote: »

And he's an example of Valencia turning nothing into a crossing opportunity.

We were 4 on 3 in the box and 2 of those were picking up Fellaini the other was picking up both Zlatan and Pogba and Rooney free at the back. That's as good a opportunity as any with a good cross.. in fairness Coutinhos(I think) block was superbly timed so I woulnt really say it was Valencias fault after seeing the replays from the alternative angles..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As much as Valencia infuriates me,he is one of the hardest workers in the team and I've love to see Rooney have a first touch like him.
    I was listening to Kevin Kilbane talk about him last night and the absolute poverty he came from and his lack of education. He only had 3 English words and still to this day hasn't a whole lot more. Kilbane had nothing but admiration for him and how he made a career for himself in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Two serious passes from Herrera there in them clips

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »

And here's an example of Valencia turning nothing into a crossing opportunity.

As I said I'm not trying to bash him. He's defending well, still has solid pace, is fit as a fiddle.
    Just would like to see some more end product from an attacking sense. Hopefully it's something he can improve on as it looks like he will feature for another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

zerks wrote: »
    The morning papers: 2 have Shaw being sold in the summer having failed to develop any further and one has him being given another chance to prove himself.
    That's why you don't look at the newspaper that prints the story - you look at who the journo is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didn't see that comment, it's definitely not helping Martial at the moment anyways.

Sure Martial rarely passes anyway. No point looking for excuses for his selfish play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think if Shaw doesn't sort out his rumored fitness and attitude problems before the end of the season United will look to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didn't see that comment, it's definitely not helping Martial at the moment anyways.

Would have thought Blind a better option than Darmian in this scenario - a better third CB, and a better distributor of the ball from deep positions too.

It has been commented by many how Carrick in midfield improves the ball movement to Pogba/Herrera - if we had Blind in the side too (in a deep LB/LCB positon) I think the midfield would get even more improved service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

As much as Valencia infuriates me,he is one of the hardest workers in the team and I've love to see Rooney have a first touch like him.
    I was listening to Kevin Kilbane talk about him last night and the absolute poverty he came from and his lack of education. He only had 3 English words and still to this day hasn't a whole lot more. Kilbane had nothing but admiration for him and how he made a career for himself in England.

Valencia speaks english perfectly fine. Just doesnt do any interviews in english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would have thought Blind a better option than Darmian in this scenario - a better third CB, and a better distributor of the ball from deep positions too.

It has been commented by many how Carrick in midfield improves the ball movement to Pogba/Herrera - if we had Blind in the side too (in a deep LB/LCB positon) I think the midfield would get even more improved service.

I would have thought that too, but Darmian has played as a 3rd cb for the Italian team also and is comfortable doing it, maybe Jose feels he has better pace to recover then Blind/better engine in general for working up and down the touchline?

Blind is certainly a better reader or the game and passer of the ball though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bangkok wrote: »
    Valencia speaks english perfectly fine. Just doesnt do any interviews in english

I feel dirty agreeing with you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jackwigan wrote: »
    Would love to see Coleman in a United shirt. Absolutely biased because he's Irish but I've always loved the Irish connection with United. Keane is my all time favorite United player and I think that connection has been watered down since JOS left.

Well yes, because there is no Irish players good enough to be playing at the club for what we want to achieve.

No player is a natural right back, majority are not good enough for centre back or didn't have the ability to play on the wing so right and left back become their position

OK Jamie :cool:

Louis van gaal has denied he has retired :)

• Advertisement

It would make more sense to have Shaw bombing forward and Valencia/Darmian sitting back.

Just about to post this.

We play with a front three who'se natural tendancy is to drift infield, especially with Mhiki or Mata on the flanks and even Martial to a certain extent.

We are getting no benefit from Valencia really. His decision making is absolutely rubbish. I mentioned a few pages back you get players as they get older you learn if they have a football brain or a "bird brain" and Valencia is obviously a "stupid footballer". That is absolutely no slate on himself or meant insulting, but he clearly has not developed the ability to make the correct decision more often then most.

He is a powerful, fast, converted winger. He SHOULD be operating like Kyle Walker does, or how Victor Moses does. You don't see them getting wide and just firing crosses in hoping for the best.

With the clearly evident style we have in the final third, Valencia is being left 1v1 more often then not. Our fullbacks should be as best as possible getting to the 18 yard box wide, and then cutting in, for a little pullback or lay off. You'll spot more often then not that when Valencia is in that situation, Mhiki or Mata have moved infield, and then Hererra (mostly) slides out that side to form a little triangle. But he is also well placed to cross. A pass back from Valencia for Ander to hit first time, those are the dangerous crosses we seem to hit that really make me go "owwwwwww". A defence will shift slightly and there is a nice crisp, whipped ball to the back post.

I know we have Zlatan but for **** sake. So many balls are just wasted and its so infuriating how Valencia makes up so many good positions and is then wasteful. This isn't 4-4-2 land where its kinda ok to throw a good cross in for a knockdown or you have two strikers there.

This is why the Shaw thing perplexes a bit, he showed good promise operating as a modern fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

As someone posted the other day Valencia is one of the very few players who effectively play a whole side of the field. If we play wingers it's usually on the left with Mata/Mkhitaryan/Rooney playing on the right who naturally drift inside. This leaves Valencia covering a lot of ground but also freeing up creative players on the right side. The odd game Lingard plays right side he still drifts everywhere himself.

Do I think there are better alternatives for RB? Yes but for someone who gets up and down the pitch like him, we'd be hard pushed to find

Louis van gaal has denied he has retired :)

lvgfyjt4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Probably because Darmian is a better defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Valencia's main job is to defend. He is a defender. His 2nd job is to support the attack. He is having an excellent season..

Talking about assists to critise him is wrong. If you go by stats, mkhitarayan has 0 assists this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Valencia is a very average defender.

i think the problem with valencia is hes a converted winger whose crossing and decsion making is poor. if he was attacking great and making the odd mistake fans would be more understanding then him been an ok defender and having poor delivery.

Mike Dean bumped to Championship. Good riddance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/821494206397108224

L'Equippe saying Memphis has reached terms with Lyon. £15m is the fee still being banded round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mike Dean bumped to Championship. Good riddance

for one game...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/821494206397108224

L'Equippe saying Memphis has reached terms with Lyon. £15m is the fee still being banded round.

Supposedly United are refusing to sell for anything below that anyways. Think I read we are looking for £17/18m and that he won't be sold unless it's on our terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

sky88 wrote: »
    Valencia is a very average defender.

i think the problem with valencia is hes a converted winger whose crossing and decsion making is poor. if he was attacking great and making the odd mistake fans would be more understanding then him been an ok defender and having poor delivery.

Or if we played a different style and didn't end up with the ball in that sector so often, if the delivery from the full back wasn't so important then Valencia could be considered perfectly capable.

But thats not the reality, we do end up in those positions.

That's why you don't look at the newspaper that prints the story - you look at who the journo is.

I cheat and look at the headlines on the Sky Sports app at night;) I just pass on the news here to have it debated.

Supposedly United are refusing to sell for anything below that anyways. Think I read we are looking for £17/18m and that he won't be sold unless it's on our terms

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/821712019275517952

That's 16m.. hope we hold out for 18m tell them to pay up or no sale.. it's not like we HAVE to sell him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Recouping near what we paid, considering the disaster he has been, would be nothing short of phenomenal.

Between him and Morgan that could be nearly an extra £40 million in the summer transfer kitty.

Antoine as the marquee.

A central midfielder.

A proper right back.

I'd take it.

That's 16m.. hope we hold out for 18m tell them to pay up or no sale.. it's not like we HAVE to sell him

I never knew until Team 33 had a guy on explaining the ins and outs of transfers that the EPL get 4% of any transfer made by clubs in the EPL.Any quoted fee tends not to include this or anything else,for example a £25 million fee could in reality be £27 million or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I never knew until Team 33 had a guy on explaining the ins and outs of transfers that the EPL get 4% of any transfer made by clubs in the EPL.Any quoted fee tends not to include this or anything else,for example a £25 million fee could in reality be £27 million or more.

Please don't bring those numpties up in here and sully the thread with their stink.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Please don't bring those numpties up in here and sully the thread with their stink.

It wasn't them, it was a guy who deals in the economics of football. They were baffled by it all.

Did anyone post the quote from Buttner?
    "People regard me as a failure but at least I won a league which is more than Steven Gerrard did".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It wasn't them, it was a guy who deals in the economics of football. They were baffled by it all.

Yeah I get that and I don't doubt it. It's just that I detest everything about their amateur hour, Wikipedia researched, talking over each other rubbish show.

Honestly I could de better with a fee guys on here, no research and a microphone in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,263 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

for such a one footed player valencia has carved himself out a nice career. very fit, strong, fast enough. but you know what you're gonna get...
    1. a low blasted cross
    2. a big loopy cross
    3. a pass back to the centre back

watch him next time, thats all he does, and the majority of times its a pass back to jones. thats because he is so one footed so his range of passes is hugely limited.

as for his defending, well i'm no expert but he does seem to do the job.

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I get that and I don't doubt it. It's just that I detest everything about their amateur hour, Wikipedia researched, talking over each other rubbish show.

Honestly I could de better with a fee guys on here, no research and a microphone in the pub.

I listen to about 20 minutes of them in work at night on News talk,not much else to listen to at that hour. Any football talk is better than none.They've changed the format now and it's nearly all interviews instead of "the lads having a chat" type show.

If you dont sell now his price will continue to drop. Hes a gonner this window. Good ridance as well. Awful player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Linked with Griezmann. Would he be much similar to Aguero in terms of close touch, good finisher or would Aguero be streets ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Linked with Griezmann. Would he be much similar to Aguero in terms of close touch, good finisher or would Aguero be streets ahead?

IMO Aguero is more a striker and Greizmann is a goalscoring attacking midfielder.

ATM Sergio is ahead but Griezmann has the potential to be in the top 5 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Similar player type, Aguero a better player doubt many would argue with that. Griezmann is a couple of years younger though so still to hit his peak. Griezmann plays better with a partner IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well yes, because there is no Irish players good enough to be playing at the club for what we want to achieve.

Besides Coleman, then no there isn't anyone close to being good enough.

But I think he's certainly good enough to be playing in this team currently compared to what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Griezmann who will get the vacated number 7 shirt and a massive Beckham family, and the whole family are United supporters, is more versatile than Aguero.

The only question really is how will Jose put the jigsaw together, when we do sign him as it looks inevitable at this stage.

Griezmann for 2 seasons now has been ranked as the 3rd best player in the world behind Ronaldo and Messi.
    He is not having his very best this season, but maybe he had his distractions...

He really wants to play with Pogba, the whole family are United fans, he will get paid far more and personal endorsements will be deliver higher returns.
    United get a world class player and the top scorer from the Euros. A possible contender for the whatever it is called now that has replaced the Ballon Dor, he has the image that will drive on United's revenues and it would be making another statement that United are a team where big names are moving to.

Jose made 4 signings last summer and I don't think anyone can complain with any justification for any of them.
    When Jose was at Chelsea, they were linked with Griezmann, but a United fan would hold out for the team he wants. Chelsea are suppose to want him again, but everything points to United and even from the player himself, and his brother Theo who posts love hearts to United on twitter, and nearly ignores Atletico apart from his brother.

Interesting times ahead as is normal for United. Wouldn't be surprised if Pogba and Griezmann spoke in 2015 about their futures, and each being fans of United knew that is where they both need to go/return to. I am sure players that are close friends discuss things like this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement