Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Its nothing to do with Jose. Some people seem to think Martial was great last year but in actual fact he started well but had a pretty poor second half of the season. There were flashes and goals here and there, but in general his form really tailed off, he just had goodwill built up that allowed him to escape much criticism. And thats not hindsight, I posted as much on here previously.

Martial has been poor for quite a while now stretching back to before Mourinho's arrival, just look at his play in the Euros for further evidence of that. Its not the managers fault, he needs to sort himself out.

He's a striker playing on the wing. You are being ridiculously harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

You're talking rubbish. There's no point learning from a striker if you're being played in a different position every week. Fair enough if Rashford is coming off the bench to replace Zlatan but every game he plays as a wide man, he will regress in terms of being a striker and is less likely to fulfill his potential. I think misusing him has already had a negative impact on his confidence and will continue to do so. Would we be worse off with Rashford playing as striker if we didn't sign Zlatan - I doubt it to be honest. I think Rashford linked up brilliantly last year with Mata and Lingard and Zlatan has been hugely disappointing in that department.

If Zlatan is more of a coach next year rather than a guaranteed starter then his staying around might be beneficial. But Mourinho has already proven he doesn't have the balls to even substitute Zlatan, let alone drop him.

Nicely put, I wasn't going to reply as I seem to just get sarky replies but I would've been happy to have nailed it like you just did. Especially the point of being shunted around positions will not help Rashford, it's just short termism at its best this Zlatan business unless they have somebody else lined up and if they do then Rashford will be no happier.

Yes, well Rashford is a natural striker. the suggestion that spending two years of his development having no meaningful time in his natural position will be a benefit to him is mind boggling to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You're talking rubbish. There's no point learning from a striker if you're being played in a different position every week. Fair enough if Rashford is coming off the bench to replace Zlatan but every game he plays as a wide man, he will regress in terms of being a striker and is less likely to fulfill his potential. I think misusing him has already had a negative impact on his confidence and will continue to do so. Would we be worse off with Rashford playing as striker if we didn't sign Zlatan - I doubt it to be honest. I think Rashford linked up brilliantly last year with Mata and Lingard and Zlatan has been hugely disappointing in that department.

If Zlatan is more of a coach next year rather than a guaranteed starter then his staying around might be beneficial. But Mourinho has already proven he doesn't have the balls to even substitute Zlatan, let alone drop him.

Wrong & Wrong

Oh **** off. Zlatan has not been any better linking up the play than Rashford was last year in his first few games as a professional. He has done a few sublime things in build up play but not nearly often enough.

How many of the games he has started has he been substituted? Obviously there is always going to be one pedantic arsehole but it is obvious that Mourinho is unwilling to bruise Zlatan's ego.

Oh **** off. Zlatan has not been any better linking up the play than Rashford was last year in his first few games as a professional. He has done a few sublime things in build up play but not nearly often enough.

How many of the games he has started has he been substituted? Obviously there is always going to be one pedantic arsehole but it is obvious that Mourinho is unwilling to bruise Zlatan's ego.

Please go back and watch the Burnley game and the Man City game as recent examples
    And no I wont **** off just because you are wrong
    Also, Jose did substitute Zlatan, so yea wrong again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pro. F wrote: »
    He's a striker playing on the wing. You are being ridiculously harsh.

This was kind of my point.

Jose won't go 2 up top and won't play Martial on his own up front.

So he's on the wing but he's not a good fit there.

This is the thing about Jose bringing young talent through. It's not that he doesn't but he doesn't accommodate players in any way.

gosplan wrote: »
    This was kind of my point.

Jose won't go 2 up top and won't play Martial on his own up front.

This is the thing about Jose bringing young talent through. It's not that he doesn't but he doesn't accommodate players in any way.

It's weird to me that Jose hasn't tried Martial as a CF (unless I'm forgetting some game). Martial has shown last season that he has the strength and aptitude for it. Even stranger that Jose has given Rashford a shot at CF, when he doesn't seem suited to the target man type of work that Jose likes from his CFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He'll have to do his talking with his feet so. Didn't do much with his chance on the weekend.

You watched the same game I did? He was extremely positive. Took on his man everytime and nearly beat him. Had a frightening ball whipped across the box. Chased tirelessly all game and pressed as much as he could...but sure **** it he didn't score so he's ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yes, well Rashford is a natural striker. the suggestion that spending two years of his development having no meaningful time in his natural position will be a benefit to him is mind boggling to be honest.

Didn't work out badly for Henry when he came off the wing and moved up front. Cristiano seems to be doing alright for Madrid up front these days with Bale playing from the left....

What's my point you ask...well simply put you have no idea how Rashford will develop. He could well go backwards as a result of deployment on the wing but he also may well go the other way.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was deployed on the wing a lot for the reserves also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gosplan wrote: »

He played fine there when he first arrived, his performance drop hasn't occurred due to being moved from a striker to a winger, he has generally always been in a wider role for us and so my point still stands.

Would it be better for him to play as a striker? Perhaps, but that doesn't excuse him playing worse now in his selected position than he did this time last year.

Didn't work out badly for Henry when he came off the wing and moved up front. Cristiano seems to be doing alright for Madrid up front these days with Bale playing from the left....

Counterpoint, Danny Wellbeck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »

tumblr_mcum2yptCD1ryi4ij.gif

When the team sheet is released and Mkhi isn't even on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Today is Mickey Ryan day

Hon Tipp :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Any predictions for tonight im thinking 3 nil win Zlatan two and mikitryan impressing with a goal.

Ahh dreams....

He played fine there when he first arrived, his performance drop hasn't occurred due to being moved from a striker to a winger, he has generally always been in a wider role for us and so my point still stands.

Not true. In the first half of last season (up to the end of December) he played 8 out of 14 league games and 5 of 6 CL games as a striker, central. In the second half of that season, when you say his form dropped, he played out wide in 15 of 16 league games and 6 of 7 FA Cup games. link

Not true.

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

So 13 out of 20 games (PL & CL) playing centrally is "generally always" being in a wider role in your opinion. Yep, sound logic.

So 13 out of 20 games (PL & CL) playing centrally is "generally always" being in a wider role in your opinion. Yep, sound logic.

Did you not watch the games?

Did you not watch the games?

Yes I did. Did you not see him playing as a central striker for us in those games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gerrard has retired. Even though he was the captain of our biggest rivals, you can't deny he was a magnificent player. Have to respect that. No need for any jokes.

Well, maybe one joke. Slippity doo dah, slippin' all day, Stevie went and threw it away!

safrjy5w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see Trump has used a picture of Andy Cole holding a United USA scarf in his thanksgiving video.I don't think he even knows the context of the picture but thought,"hey that looks cool,stick that in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote:
    I see Trump has used a picture of Andy Cole holding a United USA scarf in his thanksgiving video.I don't think he even knows the context of the picture but thought,"hey that looks cool,stick that in".

Zerks with breaking news
    I love it

brinty wrote: »
    Zerks with breaking news
    I love it

The photo he used is old..............My news is new:P:P

J. Marston wrote: »
    Gerrard has retired. Even though he was the captain of our biggest rivals, you can't deny he was a magnificent player. Have to respect that. No need for any jokes.

Well, maybe one joke. Slippity doo dah, slippin' all day, Stevie went and threw it away!

safrjy5w.gif

https://twitter.com/ynfafootball/status/801758859249467392

J. Marston wrote: »

safrjy5w.gif

Never forget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Shooing the camera away after what he did at Old Trafford... I remember that giving me a warm feeling in my belly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yeve cheered me up no end lads.... most likely till we we lose tonight but still nice to have a smile on my face for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard. He slipped on his f*cking arse. He gave it to Demba Ba. Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

BmPFS7gCEAEG0TU.png

Bill-Hader-Holding-in-Laugh.gif[IMG][/img]Gerrard2.jpg

Michael-Scott-Failing-to-Hold-In-Laughter.gif.pagespeed.ce.G35L5aGEFZNQuykTjsNW.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really setting ourselves up for a slip up tonight now lads :D

• Advertisement

Two nice pages to read for a change

Yes I did. Did you not see him playing as a central striker for us in those games?

Yep, thats what I thought, as usual you seem to be watching something different to the rest of us.

On a different note, I'm not much into willy waving with Liverpool fans but that whole episode of Gerrard giving his "don't slip" speech followed by him literally slipping is really just delicious.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Two nice pages to read for a change

CyCEfu4WgAEkcTf.jpg

Its a small thing, but I always think of Heinze having spent more time at the club and achieving more than he actually did.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Its a small thing, but I always think of Heinze having spent more time at the club and achieving more than he actually did.

If we had 11 of him we'd be top of the league. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yep, thats what I thought, as usual you seem to be watching something different to the rest of us.

On a different note, I'm not much into willy waving with Liverpool fans but that whole episode of Gerrard giving his "don't slip" speech followed by him literally slipping is really just delicious.

Ah buckety, come on and wave your willy with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Was Mike Phelan still playing in 93? I didn't know he had a premier league medal.

Jayop wrote: »
    Was Mike Phelan still playing in 93? I didn't know he had a premier league medal.

Yes, he got a winners medal in 93 but didnt get enough games to earn a medal the next season!

Phil Collins comes out of retirement the year Stevie G retires.

Jayop wrote: »

He never actually retired, why do you think he always wore shorts in the dugout...."just in case,just in case". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Delighted to hear Mickey Ryan might be starting tonight.

First you write an outright lie and now you try to turn the conversation towards ad hominem. You were wrong to claim that Martial has generally always been in a wider role for us - in fact, he played over half his games for us up to the end of December 2015 as a striker.

Here's the games where Martial played as a striker, centrally for United in that period:

PL:
    Southampton away
    Sunderland home
    Arsenal away
    WBA home
    Leicester away
    West Ham home
    Bournemouth away
    Stoke away

CL:
    PSV away
    Wolfsburg home
    CSKA home
    PSV home
    Wolfsburg away

That's 13 out of the 20 games he played in those competitions in that period.

You can pretend that Martial wasn't playing centrally as a striker in those games when he clearly was. You can pretend that everybody agrees with you. It just shows that your argument is based nonsense.

An old one but a good one for the day thats in it

Bn_XQs4_NCQAEtp6c.jpgupload imagem

Fener win so if we lose tonight we are out.. team news should be released about 6.45 tonight. Usually bout 1hr 15 mins before the European matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Finally Jose is whipping the Mickey out.

Rooney on the left or Micky?

Blind and Jones , brains and fearlessness could be a could combo

Rooney on the left or Micky?

Looks like Rooney is the one in the hole.

Mick1a.jpg

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Looks like Rooney is the one in the hole.

Mick1a.jpg

Id put Miki in the hole :):):)

Sorry guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement