Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we buy all the players we win the league by default right

So strong rumors of a new deal for Zlatan
    What do peops think?
    Me personally give him another year for definate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If we buy all the players we win the league by default right

I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

In light of the clubs recent financial news,I would just like to say ....

O7ZIfG.gif

....that we are considerably richer than you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What do peops think?

Its not really an option or a decision it's an automatic clause in his contract activated by performance criteria im assuming it's when he reaches 20 goals his contract is extended or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What do peops think?

Give him a... 5 year contract!

ay_114851067.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What do peops think?

Didn't Jose say already it was all basically done and dusted, before Christmas?

That he knew Zlatan would be staying, so did Zlatan, and so did Woodward it just hadn't been signed yet but everybody knew the option was going to be taken.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Give him a... 5 year contract!

ay_114851067.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Back of the net! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Didn't Jose say already it was all basically done and dusted, before Christmas?

That he knew Zlatan would be staying, so did Zlatan, and so did Woodward it just hadn't been signed yet but everybody knew the option was going to be taken.

Apologies, you are probably correct.
    Maybe I misread the report this morning.
    Maybe an additional year onto his extension?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Apologies, you are probably correct.
    Maybe I misread the report this morning.
    Maybe an additional year onto his extension?

Dunno how likely that would be, unnecessary like. I'd say they just use the option to extend, if next season he is still being productive enough to warrant another year it can be looked at then. At this stage of his career if he and the club want him to stay there is no rush, better for all concerned to keep it to 1 year deals.

Maybe they are talking about signing a new contract and including another clause in that but again I'd say its not necessary.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Zlatan should not be compared to other players of his age. He shows no signs of slowing down. Unless the medical team and the coaches see a decline, I'd be extending his contact by at least another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Zlatan should not be compared to other players of his age. He shows no signs of slowing down. Unless the medical team and the coaches see a decline, I'd be extending his contact by at least another year.

C'mon dude
    just say the line and make us all happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

astradave wrote: »
    Say the line FutureGuy

rMVZTya.png
    That is Rayne Wooney's job
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101550536&postcount=9036 :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't know what the best part is about that post, that it was shamelessly stolen from the United thread or that most of them in there couldn't comprehend the original post was a joke.

I don't know what the best part is about that post, that it was shamelessly stolen from the United thread or that most of them in there couldn't comprehend the original post was a joke.

Im with you on this one I didn't find it that funny but I've heard they making a movie about it now and a book is on the way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We know you are a joke.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That was the whole point of my post, can't remember which Saga it was for.. think it was DiMaria or Falcao I think.. was classic at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Haha I remember seeing that in the L'pool thread and thinking why would you bother copy/pasting a post that was already used on a boards Man U thread. :P

Anyone have a link to the original?

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    We know you are a joke.:D

What's the point of getting personal like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Putting a :D at the end doesn't make it mean. Didn't you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Putting a :D at the end doesn't make it mean. Didn't you know?

Didn't realise the weather had turned again, best burst out the heater, I can see snowflakes descending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im with you on this one I didn't find it that funny but I've heard they making a movie about it now and a book is on the way too.

Wonder if the book will be as big a seller as any of the 8 written about a season they finished second.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22851818-they-dared-to-dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nalz wrote: »

Calling Jayo26 and astradave!!!:p:p

Well done Nalz that's a nice bit of further information to back up a story that was hastily posted earlier ;););):D

Well done Nalz that's a nice bit of further information to back up a story that was hastily posted earlier ;););):D

Lol.I'll post it again tomorrow for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Are they the richest though? Surely they mean top earners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Are they the richest though? Surely they mean top earners?

That figure is turnover off of the 2015-16 season, 1st club to ever break £500 million. Thats what an official tractor partner earns you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

zerks wrote: »

Its a nice piece, Kevin Kilbane was only talking about him on off the ball the other night. Really interesting guy, came from nothing at all to where he is, killer seemed to have a genuine like for Tony & still asks after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They are saying that soon all 20 of the EPL teams will be in the top 30.

The EPL will need to start trying to get extra places at the CL for the top teams as currently having only 4 means at least two of the top 6 will miss out (I worked that bit out myself!)

Surely with that level of revenue the teams will want to be in the top competition, or alternatively the CL will start to be treated like the UL by the teams, a drain on their teams midweek. Instead of wasting the midweek on European games they could use these dates for more midweek games and create space for start/end of years foreign tours which would probably generate more money than playing some Latvian team on a Thursday

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They are saying that soon all 20 of the EPL teams will be in the top 30.

The EPL will need to start trying to get extra places at the CL for the top teams as currently having only 4 means at least two of the top 6 will miss out (I worked that bit out myself!)

Surely with that level of revenue the teams will want to be in the top competition, or alternatively the CL will start to be treated like the UL by the teams, a drain on their teams midweek. Instead of wasting the midweek on European games they could use these dates for more midweek games and create space for start/end of years foreign tours which would probably generate more money than playing some Latvian team on a Thursday

Now I might have worked this out wrong but going by these sources...

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/uefa-champions-league-prize-money/
    http://talksport.com/football/premier-league-prize-money-how-much-your-club-earned-through-tv-and-positions-160524196077?p=19

It looks like for the Champions League this year the winner will earn €107m which today converts to £92.33 (assuming they won 3 and drew 1 in the group stages but even if they won all 6 games you'd still only add an extra €4m)

Last season just from prize money and TV money Arsenal topped the premier league table on £101m which means that last season they will earn more from the PL finishing 3rd (iirc) than the CL winners get this year by over £8.5m.

In fact last season in the PL 5 teams earned more than what the CL winners will get this year, Arsenal, City, United, Spurs and Leicester in that order.

Clearly winning both and doing well in both is a great boost to a clubs income, but the reality is now that with the sponsorship deals and the prize/TV money in England the only real necessity for CL participation is prestige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Another way you could look at it is

Premier League £101 million for 38 games = £2.65 million a game
    Champions League winner £92 million for 13 games = £7.07 million a game

Still suggests Champions League is more than just prestige if money is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

When Jayop quotes jayo26

Mind Blown

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Another way you could look at it is

Premier League £101 million for 38 games = £2.65 million a game
    Champions League winner £92 million for 13 games = £7.07 million a game

Still suggests Champions League is more than just prestige if money is your thing.

£7.07m per game for the winner only. Arsenal came 3rd last season.

Had they came third in the Champions League they would have netted €37.7m or £32.55.

That's 12 games and equates to 2.71m per game. Getting closer now.

United finished 6th in the league last season and earned £96.5m or £2.53 per game.

Had they finished in 6th in the CL (equivalent eliminated in the quarters) they would have got €29.9m or £25.8m. £2.34m per game.

It's easier to finish in the top 6 in the league than in the champions league, therefore that money is there. It's also more guaranteed.

Also worth bearing in mind that it's the PL figures from last year and the CL from this year so the real figures would favour the league even more.

I'm not disputing that the CL is a cash cow, but just looking at how United have increased their income over the last few seasons despite missing out twice now it's not the be all and end all that it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    £7.07m per game for the winner only. Arsenal came 3rd last season.

Had they came third in the Champions League they would have netted €37.7m or £32.55.

That's 12 games and equates to 2.71m per game. Getting closer now.

United finished 6th in the league last season and earned £96.5m or £2.53 per game.

Had they finished in 6th in the CL (equivalent eliminated in the quarters) they would have got €29.9m or £25.8m. £2.34m per game.

It's easier to finish in the top 6 in the league than in the champions league, therefore that money is there. It's also more guaranteed.

Also worth bearing in mind that it's the PL figures from last year and the CL from this year so the real figures would favour the league even more.

I'm not disputing that the CL is a cash cow, but just looking at how United have increased their income over the last few seasons despite missing out twice now it's not the be all and end all that it used to be.

Champions league is massive, if you want to retain your the elite status of the club we need champions league this season. Would be a massive blow not to make it this season. Adidas deal is 21m down per season as well after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

bangkok wrote: »
    Adidas deal is 21m down per season as well after that.

No it is not. The penalty for missing the champions league is spread across the 10 years of the contract.
    http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2998135/manchester-united-face-adidas-penalty-if-they-miss-champions-league-again

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No it is not. The penalty for missing the champions league is spread across the 10 years of the contract.
    http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2998135/manchester-united-face-adidas-penalty-if-they-miss-champions-league-again

Not too bad then I suppose. Still be better to be in it

bangkok wrote: »
    Champions league is massive, if you want to retain your the elite status of the club we need champions league this season. Would be a massive blow not to make it this season. Adidas deal is 21m down per season as well after that.

For prestige, but not for money any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Poor form by the club regarding Nobby STILES, a local lad , especially when you see the amount of money swashing around these days. Some of you are probably a bit young to even have heard of him. Only one of 2 English born players to have a world cup and European cup winners medal, the other being Bobby Charlton.

secman wrote: »
    Poor form by the club regarding Nobby STILES, a local lad , especially when you see the amount of money swashing around these days. Some of you are probably a bit young to even have heard of him. Only one of 2 English born players to have a world cup and European cup winners medal, the other being Bobby Charlton.

What's happened now?

What's happened now?

AFAIK he has cancer and dementia.. not sure what United are supposed to do in this case? Maybe Secman has heard some more

secman wrote: »

Poor form how exactly?? The man is sick, what do you want Man Utd to do?

Ah I see.. the express going to his family and asking loaded questions I'd say

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/756028/nobby-stiles-1966-world-cup-dementia-family-reveal-football-failed-him

Jayop wrote: »
    For prestige, but not for money any more.

For both the prestige and the money.

Whatever gives us an advantage over the likes of Madrid and barca is only a good thing

AFAIK he has cancer and dementia.. not sure what United are supposed to do in this case? Maybe Secman has heard some more

:(

Ah I see.. the express going to his family and asking loaded questions I'd say

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/756028/nobby-stiles-1966-world-cup-dementia-family-reveal-football-failed-him

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see why former players should be respected by the club but I do wonder how far obligations should stretch, there have been over 900 people who played for the club, should every one of them get a pension and honorary lifetime match tickets? Should the club employ some staff whose role it is to stay in contact with former players and make sure they are ok?

I always wonder the same when I hear the media assuming that "legends" like Gerrard, Lampard or Giggs will automatically be given jobs by their respective clubs when they retire, it seems to be a given that when they call it a day that they will have " a role at the club". But why? These clubs are coming down with ****ing legends, there are European cup winners and league winners all over the show, do they need to give them all a role at the club?

Horribly cynical I know and I wish Nobby Stiles all the best, but life does go on and I think it would be better for former players to accept that, make their peace with it and find their peace in lives elsewhere instead of hanging around the old job.

I agree buck as harsh as it sounds do and as terrible as it is but No1 knows what the club has done for nobby and aint it also up to the pfa to offer support for retired footballers?

Nobby was a great character and a great talker loved watching his old I terriers and stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement