Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I can see why former players should be respected by the club but I do wonder how far obligations should stretch, there have been over 900 people who played for the club, should every one of them get a pension and honorary lifetime match tickets? Should the club employ some staff whose role it is to stay in contact with former players and make sure they are ok?

I always wonder the same when I hear the media assuming that "legends" like Gerrard, Lampard or Giggs will automatically be given jobs by their respective clubs when they retire, it seems to be a given that when they call it a day that they will have " a role at the club". But why? These clubs are coming down with ****ing legends, there are European cup winners and league winners all over the show, do they need to give them all a role at the club?

Horribly cynical I know and I wish Nobby Stiles all the best, but life does go on and I think it would be better for former players to accept that, make their peace with it and find their peace in lives elsewhere instead of hanging around the old job.

If Gerrard, Giggs or lampard turned up tomorrow at their former clubs asking for a job I can guarantee that all 3 would be back working at the clubs in some role by Monday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

@stuartpykesport: So sad to report that Tom Tyrrell has passed away - friend + the voice of Manchester United over three decades at Piccadilly Radio. Top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

I can see why former players should be respected by the club but I do wonder how far obligations should stretch, there have been over 900 people who played for the club, should every one of them get a pension and honorary lifetime match tickets? Should the club employ some staff whose role it is to stay in contact with former players and make sure they are ok?

I always wonder the same when I hear the media assuming that "legends" like Gerrard, Lampard or Giggs will automatically be given jobs by their respective clubs when they retire, it seems to be a given that when they call it a day that they will have " a role at the club". But why? These clubs are coming down with ****ing legends, there are European cup winners and league winners all over the show, do they need to give them all a role at the club?

Horribly cynical I know and I wish Nobby Stiles all the best, but life does go on and I think it would be better for former players to accept that, make their peace with it and find their peace in lives elsewhere instead of hanging around the old job.

A well thought response, not all ex players are loaded, some fall on hard times, and earned buttons during their playing days. Nobby lives quite close to OT in a semi Detached, fair play to Bobby Charlton who seems to have kept in touch. Think his United career weekly wage ranged from £20 a week to about £400 a week in the latter stages of his career.
    I honestly believe clubs and current players could do more for the likes of Nobby Stiles .
    Maybe it's an age thing, maybe when you are less bullet proof you get a different perspective.

secman wrote: »
    A well thought response, not all ex players are loaded, some fall on hard times, and earned buttons during their playing days. Nobby lives quite close to OT in a semi Detached, fair play to Bobby Charlton who seems to have kept in touch. Think his United career weekly wage ranged from £20 a week to about £400 a week in the latter stages of his career.
    I honestly believe clubs and current players could do more for the likes of Nobby Stiles .
    Maybe it's an age thing, maybe when you are less bullet proof you get a different perspective.

Man Utd bought some of nobbys medals and paid him 200k for them, they are currently on display in the old Trafford museum

bangkok wrote: »
    Man Utd bought some of nobbys medals and paid him 200k for them, they are currently on display in the old Trafford museum

I'm Aware of that , pity he had to sell them though :(. AFAIK United paid the going rate for the medals .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Gerrard, Giggs or lampard turned up tomorrow at their former clubs asking for a job I can guarantee that all 3 would be back working at the clubs in some role by Monday morning

What about Raimond Van Der Gouw, Paul Parker or Lee Sharpe? Wes Brown? Clayton Blackmore gave me some of my fondest memories as a United fan, does he deserve a job for life?

secman wrote: »

But do what? And thats a genuine question, what obligations should the club have? And who exactly will those obligations extend to, all 900 former players?

But do what? And thats a genuine question, what obligations should the club have? And who exactly will those obligations extend to, all 900 former players?

Little things even help, it's reported by his son that when he was looking for tickets to bring his grand daughter to her first match at OT he had to pay full wack for the tickets. And that was before he sold his medals.

What about Raimond Van Der Gouw, Paul Parker or Lee Sharpe? Wes Brown? Clayton Blackmore gave me some of my fondest memories as a United fan, does he deserve a job for life?

I would say if any ex player came back and wanted a job the club would do something for them. You have to also remember that a lot of players would want to move on with their lives and do something different. For example van der gouw is back in Holland doing goalkeeper coach at ex club. He is probably more than happy.

West brown is a player coach at Blackburn.

Paul Parker works in the media.

Lee sharpe I can't imagine he even lives in England any more.

Not sure what Blackmore is at, think he might be doing media work in Wales

• Advertisement

I would say if any ex player came back and wanted a job the club would do something for them.

Tevez and Di Maria as well?

Taibi? Prunier? Would they get a job?

Tevez and Di Maria as well?

Taibi? Prunier? Would they get a job?

You are getting silly now in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would say if any ex player came back and wanted a job the club would do something for them. You have to also remember that a lot of players would want to move on with their lives and do something different. For example van der gouw is back in Holland doing goalkeeper coach at ex club. He is probably more than happy.

West brown is a player coach at Blackburn.

Paul Parker works in the media.

Lee sharpe I can't imagine he even lives in England any more.

Not sure what Blackmore is at, think he might be doing media work in Wales
    You do know United gave Nobby a job at the club .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

yabadabado wrote: »

He also did pretty well as an after dinner speaker from what I remember up to the time he had heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jayo26 wrote: »
    He also did pretty well as an after dinner speaker from what I remember up to the time he had heart attack.

Fella I worked with was at one of those events and reckons Nobby was brilliant ,could listen to him for hours.

There is serious money out of that circuit for the popular speakers.

Yea just proves my point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Long time reader first time poster here, but anyway,jonny Giles his brother in law was on news talk this eve said at one point that he coached young lads up to youths at one point at OT,might be wrong tho,,

lab man wrote: »
    Long time reader first time poster here, but anyway,jonny Giles his brother in law was on news talk this eve said at one point that he coached young lads up to youths at one point at OT,might be wrong tho,,

Who Nobby did? He was a coach with united up to early 00s alright.

Edit: and welcome to the posting side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I love the deals made in January so far. Getting rid of Schneiderlin and Depay had to be done. I believe we've done great business in getting back, in my opinion, more than these players are worth

I also love the decision to pass on Lindelloff. I think we are in need of a CB but I don't think he is all that great.

Fella I worked with was at one of those events and reckons Nobby was brilliant ,could listen to him for hours.

There is serious money out of that circuit for the popular speakers.

Yeh aint fergie and the likes payed 10k or close for an hours speech obviously Nobby wouldn't of got anywhere near that but he would of been pretty well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lab man, welcome to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd worry about a lack of strength in depth over the remainder of the season, as hopefully FA Cup, Europa League and PL games pile up. We have very few options for CM, imo.

I also still see Rojo (red cards) and Jones (injury) as utter liabilities in defence - I don't know if I can ever get past that perception of them!

i'd worry about a lack of strength in depth over the remainder of the season, as hopefully FA Cup, Europa League and PL games pile up. We have very few options for CM, imo.

I also still see Rojo (red cards) and Jones (injury) as utter liabilities in defence - I don't know if I can ever get past that perception of them!

Probably the strongest squad in the league. Wouldn't be worried about lack of depth in the squad. When bastion scweingstger, Ashley Young, fosu mensah Luke shaw and plenty of others are not even in match day squads and then the likes of Bailly to come back in I would say we are more than covered

Probably the strongest squad in the league. Wouldn't be worried about lack of depth in the squad. When bastion scweingstger, Ashley Young, fosu mensah Luke shaw and plenty of others are not even in match day squads and then the likes of Bailly to come back in I would say we are more than covered

On paper we have one of strongest squad but I think most of our backup players are players jose don't trust at this point in time.

For example In the next round of Europe say we have Jones and rojo out injured and Bailey and smalling need a rest I think Jose will play both in every game before he would give tfm a game. Similar to defensive midfield he will move ander there before he will play tfm I just think he has a group of players he trusts at this point in time.

On paper we have one of strongest squad but I think most of our backup players are players jose don't trust at this point in time.

For example In the next round of Europe say we have Jones and rojo out injured and Bailey and smalling need a rest I think Jose will play both in every game before he would give tfm a game. Similar to defensive midfield he will move ander there before he will play tfm I just think he has a group of players he trusts at this point in time.

Carrick could easily drop in centre back, blind can play there so can darmian. We have lots of options this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Carrick gets injured or needs a rest and the balance of our midfield goes to sh1t - Fellaini or Rooney comes in, which moves Herrera and Pogba around and we lose balance/control.

As we go on in the season, the need to rest players - and Carrick in particular, will become more common (imo) and result in midfield selections that cause us problems. Schweinsteiger is the only player we have played in midfield that could come in for Carrick in terms of style(imo), but he hasn't proven himself up to such a task this season so that would have to be a worry.

Carrick, or a player of his ilk, is vital to getting the best out of Pogba/Herrera - and we don't have a viable option for that role beyond him - or at least none that Mourinho has used this season in such a role.

I'm not arguing Carrick is perfect or the best player in the world, but he is vital to United and we have no, imo, viable replacement for him - and at his age we really should. I thought Schneiderlin would be that but obviously not the case - we need someone in there. Bakayoko is the target spoken of - maybe United really want him and are prepared to wait for next summer rather than push for a secondary option in January.

Even though Schneiderlin and Memphis were hardly used (partly due to likely January moves, implied by Mourinho) I'm just never a fan of selling squad players without replacing them - we have weakened the squad, a fragile (imo) squad.

Also talk over the last few weeks that Mourinho/United are annoyed with Shaw's fitness and attitude, and Young could be off to China (in the paper tomorrow)

Carrick could easily drop in centre back, blind can play there so can darmian. We have lots of options this year.

Thats my point tho I'm using cb as an example because at some stage when we back in Europe the players are going to need a rest but because I get the feeling that jose doesn't trust some of the fringe players he will play tired players out of position instead of giving tfm a go or bastian or the likes.

Carrick gets injured or needs a rest and the balance of our midfield goes to sh1t - Fellaini or Rooney comes in, which moves Herrera and Pogba around and we lose balance/control.

As we go on in the season, the need to rest players - and Carrick in particular, will become more common (imo) and result in midfield selections that cause us problems. Schweinsteiger is the only player we have played in midfield that could come in for Carrick in terms of style(imo), but he hasn't proven himself up to such a task this season so that would have to be a worry.

Carrick, or a player of his ilk, is vital to getting the best out of Pogba/Herrera - and we don't have a viable option for that role beyond him - or at least none that Mourinho has used this season in such a role.

I'm not arguing Carrick is perfect or the best player in the world, but he is vital to United and we have no, imo, viable replacement for him - and at his age we really should. I thought Schneiderlin would be that but obviously not the case - we need someone in there. Bakayoko is the target spoken of - maybe United really want him and are prepared to wait for next summer rather than push for a secondary option in January.

Even though Schneiderlin and Memphis were hardly used (partly due to likely January moves, implied by Mourinho) I'm just never a fan of selling squad players without replacing them - we have weakened the squad, a fragile (imo) squad.

Also talk over the last few weeks that Mourinho/United are annoyed with Shaw's fitness and attitude, and Young could be off to China (in the paper tomorrow)

Agree with you about carrick, disagree with you about squad being fragile.

Every squad in England has the same squad issues and I believe from all the squads in the league we are best placed to cope with suspensions, injuries etc

Depay offered nothing to the squad, so I wouldn't even call him a loss. Good business financially and football wise to get rid. Schneiderlain you could argue the same. Jose is building his squad, was a perfect time to move on 2 players that wanted to move and frees up extra cash for summer targets.

Thats my point tho I'm using cb as an example because at some stage when we back in Europe the players are going to need a rest but because I get the feeling that jose doesn't trust some of the fringe players he will play tired players out of position instead of giving tfm a go or bastian or the likes.

If players are tired they will be rested, too many good players in the squad not to play them when needed. Also if Jose doesn't play fosu mensah that's his issue as he is an excellent player

I don't think Schweinsteiger is part of Jose's plans to be honest, but why do people think he would be backup to or play the Carrick role? I know he has quality but I didn't think a holding role was ever really his game?

I still think we will buy in this window anyway, never mind backup to Carrick I think our last match once again showed that we need somebody to displace Carrick full stop.

You are getting silly now in fairness

So, not any ex-player then, when you said that any ex-player would be given a job you didn't actually mean any ex-player, some some ex-players by some criteria you have chosen. I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Selling Ashley Young to a Chinese club would be interesting. You'd imagine there would be a player coming in if that happened. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

GSPfan wrote: »
    Selling Ashley Young to a Chinese club would be interesting. You'd imagine there would be a player coming in if that happened. Maybe not.

Is that the latest rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd let Young go for some of that Chinese money and wish him all the best.

It bugs me how underrated he's been in many fans eyes with his time at United. Even this season when he's come on he's been solid and has acted like a pro off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hococop wrote: »
    Is that the latest rumor

It is. I have absolutely no problem with Ashley Young but its obvious Jose has no interest in utilising him so Id be happy to see him go now if its an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I don't mind Young all that much but to be honest, he'll be remembered for diving and a bird sh*tting in his mouth more than anything.

It bugs me how underrated he's been in many fans eyes with his time at United. Even this season when he's come on he's been solid and has acted like a pro off the field.

He has something like five goals in the last five years. Thats a shocking return for any attacking player at a top club, even the limited Jesse Lingard has more than that since coming into the squad.

Every team needs squad players but sometimes I think fans need to stop overvaluing solidity and being a "good pro".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't mind Young all that much but to be honest, he'll be remembered for diving and a bird sh*tting in his mouth more than anything.

By gob****es maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A £10 million fee for Young is being mentioned in the press with a 3 year deal worth £16 million to Young after tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£10 million? You could probably get near enough that off a Premier League team.

£30 million or nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

J. Marston wrote: »
    £10 million? You could probably get near enough that off a Premier League team.

£30 million or nothing!

He is 31 now and on like £110 K a week. £10 M added to the coffers for a bit part player is not bad and I can see why United and Young could be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

He is 31 now and on like £110 K a week. £10 M added to the coffers for a bit part player is not bad and I can see why United and Young could be tempted.

If we did sell young for £10 million, that's roughly £50 million for 3 players

Wages of 300-350k for the rest of the season would be around £5 million, so £55 million would be nice going into the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Plus I am fairly certain that Adnan will be sold, probably £2M more in wages and £5M plus fee received.

It's what the squad needed, cutting the dead weights and paying top wages for players that are actually part of the first team. It's why I see Basti and Wayne as the next to go too also as they are both on wages of £160K-£260K a week and that would free up some nice signings probably in the Summer before the main action happens but the two players sold already and one possible sale is a sign of Jose having made up his mind already on players and told them privately its probably best they move on. I never believe the spin managers/ clubs put out out tbh. Always make it look like the player made the decision, that is the universal rule.

Others on the list could include Varela, Smalling and even Shaw for various reasons, but I would not be surprised if they go too.

Edit: I now see the Lockhurst quote, might be only two players sold now

So, not any ex-player then, when you said that any ex-player would be given a job you didn't actually mean any ex-player, some some ex-players by some criteria you have chosen. I understand.

Like i said already you are being silly.

Why would tevez or di maria want a job? Tevez earns 600k a week in china. Di maria plays with psg.

Can you imagine tevez doing after dinner speeches in old trafford :)

I posted in the transfer thread that Duncan Castles is reporting that City will entertain offers for Aguero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zerks wrote: »
    I posted in the transfer thread that Duncan Castles is reporting that City will entertain offers for Aguero.

Send in the three lads :D

article-2411011-1B990067000005DC-758_634x556.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Getting rid off Aguero? I may become a pep fan with the solid work he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Unearthly wrote: »
    Getting rid off Aguero? I may become a pep fan with the solid work he's doing

He's doing Gods work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I wonder would Pep do a Di Maria and jump at the next big offer he gets to leave. It wouldn't do much for the PL if he left and rubbished it. If he left for say, Madrid, and won the CL, his PL tarnish would be forgot.

I wonder would Pep do a Di Maria and jump at the next big offer he gets to leave. It wouldn't do much for the PL if he left and rubbished it. If he left for say, Madrid, and won the CL, his PL tarnish would be forgot.

If he won the CL with Madrid people would rightly say that he can only win if he is handed the finished article and the best players on a plate, that he couldn't hack it in a tough league and that he hadn't the guts for the fight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement