Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pep will never manage Madrid, they wouldn't have him and he wouldn't have them.

But by God it would be glorious if he did.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aguero only averages 26 PL games a season and the most ever he played in a PL season is 31 games.
    Silva could also be out according to Duncan Castles.
    I wouldn't want either at United.
    There are other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think aguero has been in a sulk all season i think he wants to leave himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wouldn't want Agureo so long as we have Ibra in that I think there would be a clash of who to play where. But he's a class player, in spite of his injuries, and he's being horribly managed this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"Mourinho is not averse to Schweinsteiger seeing out the season at Old Trafford but talks are ongoing with potential suitors, including Major Soccer League clubs in the US." – The Telegraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will be interesting to see if Zlatan is here, or first choice, next season. I am fully aware the comments from mourinho indicate that he wants and expects him to be here next year but the contract extension hasn't been officially triggered so it isn't a certainty that it will happen. There is also some talk that Zlatan himself is not 100% on being here next year as he isn't sure he would be physically as capable next season. I reckon if he isn't confident he can continue at the same level next season he won't want to do it.

I know we are being heavily linked with Greizmann for next season, but I don't see him as a Zlatan replacement. I could more see Greizmann coming in as a replacement on the right for Mata, but not playing as as much on the right as Mata does - leaving Valencia to patrol that more. Could see Greizmann playing from wide like Jose had Eto'o at Inter, or Robben in the early Chelsea days maybe. However, continuing that thought has me wondering who he would be playing off. Rashford or Martial? I would say Rashford more likely, I think Jose likes Martial for out wide if he feels he can get the kid playing as he wants him to. I can't think of any available striker that could be brought in to replace Zlatan (either cause he is gone or isn't up to being first choice week in/out). Lukaku from a PL perspective - though I am not sure on his line leading or link play abilities - but I think he will be a chelsea player next season, as a replacement for Costa. I'm not sure what strikers from abroad would fit the profile and be gettable. Kane would obviously be linked but I just can't see us being able to get him from Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lads saying they wouldn't have Aguero, are you for real?

will be interesting to see if Zlatan is here, or first choice, next season. I am fully aware the comments from mourinho indicate that he wants and expects him to be here next year but the contract extension hasn't been officially triggered so it isn't a certainty that it will happen. There is also some talk that Zlatan himself is not 100% on being here next year as he isn't sure he would be physically as capable next season. I reckon if he isn't confident he can continue at the same level next season he won't want to do it.

I know we are being heavily linked with Greizmann for next season, but I don't see him as a Zlatan replacement. I could more see Greizmann coming in as a replacement on the right for Mata, but not playing as as much on the right as Mata does - leaving Valencia to patrol that more. Could see Greizmann playing from wide like Jose had Eto'o at Inter, or Robben in the early Chelsea days maybe. However, continuing that thought has me wondering who he would be playing off. Rashford or Martial? I would say Rashford more likely, I think Jose likes Martial for out wide if he feels he can get the kid playing as he wants him to. I can't think of any available striker that could be brought in to replace Zlatan (either cause he is gone or isn't up to being first choice week in/out). Lukaku from a PL perspective - though I am not sure on his line leading or link play abilities - but I think he will be a chelsea player next season, as a replacement for Costa. I'm not sure what strikers from abroad would fit the profile and be gettable. Kane would obviously be linked but I just can't see us being able to get him from Spurs.

André Silva is one I'm keeping a lose eye on from afar. Came to a bit of the forefront with Portugal and is being hyped there as finally they feel they might have an actual good striker for the first time in ages.

Playing well and scoring consistently for Porto and at that age if he keeps it up he'll be hot property. He was available for peanuts last summer but seemingly a new 60m buyout clause in his contract now.

Unless this frictous relationship continues between Martial and the club/Mourinho, I'd have imagined Zlatan is just a stopgap for Martial to get ready and able to lead the line.

I'm still personally of the opinion his best position is as a striker and he would be good enough to lead our line. I actually think Rashford for me feels better as an insideforward, and don't think he will develop into a striker good enough for us(maybe somewhere else) and his best chance at a lengthy career with United is being a left sided forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rashford or Martial? I would say Rashford more likely, I think Jose likes Martial for out wide if he feels he can get the kid playing as he wants him to.

I don't know who it will be but I can't see it being Rashford playing that particular role. Jose likes his Drogba's, Benzema's and Zlatans, and Rashford is a long way from being able to replicate their ability to be the focal point up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I think we'd have a good chance getting Lukaku if we wanted,seems to be good pals with agent pogba! I definitely think we need another striker tho to go along with rashford and Ibra. Martial should be kept on the wing and griezemann will operate like mata/mkhitaryian playing across the line. Would love to sign a lesser known like Hernandez again.maybe that dolberg fella at Ajax might be the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »

We should be going all out for him if ever available.

Id rather try Martial than blow a load on Lukaku or Kane.

Id also prefer Alexis over Griezman assuming Alexis becomes available this summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Like, I stress....I think he's a wonderful player. But based on what we have and need, I wouldn't be sure what way you'd slot him in. If Ibra DID leave, then sure. But with his age, injuries, etc, and IF we got Griezman, how would you play him (genuine question there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Presser starting in about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Like, I stress....I think he's a wonderful player. But based on what we have and need, I wouldn't be sure what way you'd slot him in. If Ibra DID leave, then sure. But with his age, injuries, etc, and IF we got Griezman, how would you play him (genuine question there).

played instead of (gone/benched) Ibra with Griezman out wide.

As it stands, we generally have Valencia providing the right width, with Mata coming infield - it would just be an evolution of that (might need one of the midfield three to help defensively on the right more though).

Not that I would think Aguero has even the remotest intention or chance of signing for United.

I could see him ending up at Juventus as a replacement for Dybala (who signs for Madrid, imo, in this scenario)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Would love if we signed aguero. The best striker in the league and probably the best player in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Signing Aguero would be a great move, and wind city fans up which would be a bonus ;) Can't see it happening unfortunately, he'll go abroad when he leaves.

Aguero would ahve no shortage of suitors and City have no need to raise cash from a sale, so there is no bid, imo, that United could put forward that they would accept. they would take millions upon millions less from Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, whom I could all see being very interested, rather than accept a bid from United - and I don't see that Aguero would have the interest in sitting on his contract to try force a move to United (the only way it happens, imo) so I don't see any merit in even discussing the possibility of United going for him. He is the player we are least likely to sign in all of football, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It is strange considering he's one of only two PL players who'd get in the united team!

• Advertisement

no hint from Mourinho that there is any intention to bring anyone in this month, though he admits there are positions we are short in and could be problematic in April/May specifically (where he hopes EL and FA Cup games will be mixed with PL matches) - he didn't specify the positions he was worried about.

He didn't outright state no signings, he skirted around that, but said he see January as an 'emergency market' and prefers the summer market.

also - Jose claiming Valencia is the best right back in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Despite his ocassional bursts of form Aguero is a sicknote with a nasty streak. No more than Wayne Rooney if he was as good as his agent seems to think then he'd be moving to Madrid, Barcelona or Munich rather than across town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't understand why more business isn't done in the winter. To me it seems like a good idea to pick up a player in January and that gives him 6 or 7 months to settle in for the following season. Instead a lot of clubs seem to leave buying players until the last few weeks of the summer transfer window, the player misses a proper preseason and they're playing catch-up for the first couple of months of the league while the settle in their new surroundings.

SteM wrote: »
    I don't understand why more business isn't done in the winter. To me it seems like a good idea to pick up a player in January and that gives him 6 or 7 months to settle in for the following season. Instead a lot of clubs seem to leave buying players until the last few weeks of the summer transfer window, the player misses a proper preseason and they're playing catch-up for the first couple of months of the league while the settle in their new surroundings.

can be very hard to get clubs to sell key players mid-season.

United may want Bakayoko and Greizman - but getting Monaco and At.Madrid to sell either when they are half way through a title chasing season and are still involved in the CL can be very difficult/impossible.

United might prefer to wait for their priority targets in the summer rather than sign a third or fourth choice player in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

also - Jose claiming Valencia is the best right back in football.

While I don't agree with him, I think it would be hard to find a player with the speed strength and stamina to man the whole right flank every game. He's practically playing as a RB and a RW.. of only his crossing and Chance creation matched his workrate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Pep will never manage Madrid, they wouldn't have him and he wouldn't have them.

But by God it would be glorious if he did.

luis-figo-4.jpg?w=590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

luis-figo-4.jpg?w=590

A huge difference between Figo and Pep.Not comparable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

There I was getting my canoe ready for tomorrow and then was told that the Utd game is the 3pm game tomorrow on Sky

Nice one,could do with getting a win over Stoke at their place,always a horrible horrible game against them

also - wasn't the Figo thing partly down to some shady business with his agent.

Convinced I read his agent kind of screwed him over - agreeing the transfer with Madrid inclusive of a MASSIVE monetary penalty against the agent if Figo didn't sign for Madrid - so Figo helped to push the deal through so the agent wouldn't get destroyed financially.

Maybe I have dreamed that up though. dunno.

• Advertisement

also - wasn't the Figo thing partly down to some shady business with his agent.

Convinced I read his agent kind of screwed him over - agreeing the transfer with Madrid inclusive of a MASSIVE monetary penalty against the agent if Figo didn't sign for Madrid - so Figo helped to push the deal through so the agent wouldn't get destroyed financially.

Maybe I have dreamed that up though. dunno.

Never heard that but wouldn't surprise me

sky88 wrote: »
    Never heard that but wouldn't surprise me

according to this article I was on the right track, but not correct.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/845913/rewind-to-2002-luis-figos-great-betrayal

Agent agreed a pre-contract agreement penalty that Figo (rather than the agent) would have to pay 18.75million if the deal did not go through once his clause was activated. I would assume Figo also had to agree to such a clause and the agent couldn't have done so without his consent, but who knows what legal powers agents have in this regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »

He's a far superior forward to Griezman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What does Griezmann offer that Mata doesn't? They're both relatively physically small, neither are out and out strikers, both are probably best as #10s.

We need a striker who can lead the line and a Carrick replacement.

astradave wrote: »

Who is that guy asking the last two questions about Young to China and Stoke match.

He looks new (or he got a seat bump)

Mood looks so calmer in that room now then when Van Gaal was being besieged, I guess for obvious reasons. Interestingly seems to be less people in attendance these days then the Van Gaal end of era ;)

hmmm wrote: »
    What does Griezmann offer that Mata doesn't? They're both relatively physically small, neither are out and out strikers, both are probably best as #10s.

Pace, skill, trickery - imo. I think he would be a better fit than Mata for that right sided free/forward role - particularly in a side that wants to attack directly and at pace.

I also wouldn't see him as a lead the line striker - I would think we would still need one (or Ibra/Martial plays there).

Greizman should be in addition to a Carrick replacement, for example, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jose says valencia is the best right back in the world.... hard to disagree considering his current form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

hmmm wrote: »

Simple Griezmann offers goals that Mata don't and he is a natural finisher.

Dont wanna sound nasty but if you don't think Griezman can lead the line you must not of watched him play much, he had scored 25 goals and 32 goals for Madrid in last two years while playing alot of them games from the wing in his first season and this year they are doing crap but he still has 13 goals at the halfway point.

If I'd question anything it's he is a different type of forward to what jose usually plays but he could definitely be the main man up front.

bangkok wrote: »
    Jose says valencia is the best right back in the world.... hard to disagree considering his current form

This is delusion of the highest order, I mean come on! I know that it's not a majority view held in this thread, Valencia is not the best in the world at anything, some posters on here have talked about buying a replacement for him recently and you're saying he's the best in the world, I think it's somewhere in between those two things, he's decent, he's competent, he can't cross his legs, I wouldn't have him over Clyne anyway for starters....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

This is delusion of the highest order, I mean come on! I know that it's not a majority view held in this thread, Valencia is not the best in the world at anything, some posters on here have talked about buying a replacement for him recently and you're saying he's the best in the world, I think it's somewhere in between those two things, he's decent, he's competent, he can't cross his legs, I wouldn't have him over Clyne anyway for starters....

Coming from a Liverpool fan..

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

EDIT: Deleted, double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ElChe32 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Liverpool do at least have the 2nd most effective left back in the game according to http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2016/171/en/ :) (Valencia is a close 10th on this list)

i understand why jose is saying this but surely no one actually believes he is the best right back in the world. hes a grand player but no were close to being the best.

Best gif in the world

Great point, well made. I'd like if you elaborated a bit though. Are you another Valencia is the best in the world fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Great point, well made. I'd like if you elaborated a bit though. Are you another Valencia is the best in the world fan?

I was simply stating that a Liverpool fan calling something delusional was ironic. If I have upset you please accept my apology.

giphy.gif

I was simply stating that a Liverpool fan calling something delusional was ironic. If I have upset you please accept my apology.

giphy.gif

Ok Alanis, in other words you agree with my point.

Clyne gets away with murder for being English. He is as, or more wasteful as Valencia when he gets in the final third.

I think at this stage of football, if your taking what managers say as gospel you can't be talked to. Shock horror, manager hails right back who just signed new contract, best RB in the world at the moment.

Most clearly is not. In my view hes not even the best RB in the squad :D

He has definitely become stronger in the role from when Van Gaal first put him in there and doesn't feel defensively a liability and that is a credit to himself and his willingness/eagerness to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »

Beyond ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd put walker and Coleman ahead of valencia and that's just in England Alves is better then him in my opinion he is far from best in the world.

I really liked what jose said about memphis saying how professional he was and that the club had to insert buyback options as to protect against his talent and he said maybe after a few seasons if he does well they would welcome him back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Liverpool do at least have the 2nd most effective left back in the game according to http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2016/171/en/ :) (Valencia is a close 10th on this list)

And we all know that football observatory list is absolute nonsense. Pogba as a DM? lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement