Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Didn't see any of the game today, any positives to take from it?

We didn't loose ground to spurs and city and gained on pool who are pretty much out of title race now and we got one of our trickiest away days out of the way.

Match wise we dominated possession pretty well and defended ok for the most part just couldn't finish our chances.

Toni valencia had a very good game defensively I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Look at the linesman head.....how is he not helping him...Mike Dean is brutal but in this instance if the linesman who is meant to be his aid bottles it then it leaves dean calling it 40 yards away from the play.

People forget it's a trio of officials on the pitch.

Indeed it is but it's usually -
    • Stevie Wonder.
    • Andrea Bocelli.
    • Ray Charles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »
    We didn't loose ground to spurs and city and gained on pool who are pretty much out of title race now and we got one of our trickiest away days out of the way.

Match wise we dominated possession pretty well and defended ok for the most part just couldn't finish our chances.

Story of the season so far so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

In the context of what happened our rivals it's a bad result but the performance was not as bad as people are making it out to be.

We basically battered stoke for the entirety of the game. Yes we didn't break them down but is isn't it great we are crying about not taking chances. Under LVG we would have rolled over and been stale for the rest of the 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's worrying that Valencia is the source for so many of our attacks. Didn't get much from Blind at all going forward. We send in no shortage of crosses it's just a shame that few are of any real quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Disappointing. When the chips are down we can't seem to pull out a result.

Its like a fear of opportunity! I dunno if its still a small mental fragility hangover or what but it is ridiculous how many opportunities the team turns its nose at, both in games and when the chance presents itself to gain meaningful ground in the table.

Delighted for Rooney to break the record, delighted to keep the unbeaten run going but overwhelmingly frustrated is the overriding feeling after that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

In the context of what happened our rivals it's a bad result but the performance was not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Its not really its an opertunity missed yes but it's also a very hard game out of the way some of our top of the table rivals will go to Stoke and loose if we can win our next few games Before face city it will be forgotten about hopefully we be in a better place.

City looked excellent today going forward and should of won but spurs gave them acres of space and cities defence was atrocious I seen a stat that the last 23 shots on their goal has resulted in 16 goals.

Pool look soo vulnerable also they are definitely going to drop plenty of points from here on in the defence looks scared when they have players running at them.

And arsenal are going to be Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Because again when this team needed a performance and win after Cl rivals dropped points he team totally bottled it with a brutal performance and terrible finishing

Sorry I don't find salvaging a last minute point against Stoke something to celebrate in the context of the day at that time.

A great goal and well done to him for the record.

The city result just makes that draw worse for me
    I don't see it as "bottling" it. That implies its some issue with the sides mentality. We're still just not that great a team. I think the last 2 results have given a more realistic reflection of our form of late. I said it before the Liverpool game and I haven't changed my opinion. We need to seriously up our game as a whole if we want to compete for a top 4 place. And it's not just about taking chances, it's all over the pitch.

It's worrying that Valencia is the source for so many of our attacks. Didn't get much from Blind at all going forward. We send in no shortage of crosses it's just a shame that few are of any real quality.

Seems to be a deliberate tactical thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think this is down to the team changes today. We lacked some pace and as you say Jose opted to let Valencia lead alot of the attacks down the right.
    When we actually played some one-twos / through balls we created the best chances.
    It's a pity that alot of our attacks came from out wide right by Valencia as this allowed Stoke too much time to regroup.
    I prefer when Miki was playing out wide alongside either Rashford / Martial / Lingard as these players will naturally be further forward and in a quicker manner.
    Then leave Pogba further forward, nearly in behind Ibra.
    He was too deep yet again today.

• Advertisement

Indeed it is but it's usually -
    • Stevie Wonder.
    • Andrea Bocelli.
    • Ray Charles

Ata bouy tayto!

So true!

That was terrible keeping by lloris for the Sane goal why did he go with his head he was well inside his area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

That was terrible keeping by lloris for the Sane goal why did he go with his head he was well inside his area.

He could have just headed it properly anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The attackers outside Zlatan simply don't contribute enough, we've 10 less goals than the teams ahead of us and those goals are the difference between 6th and challenging for the title.

Martial, Mata, Lingard and Rooney have 8 goals between them. If it remains the same most if not all 4 players could be in trouble next summer.

That miss of matas nearly make ya cry ha. A decent finisher on that and it would of been such a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

jayo26 wrote:
    That miss of matas nearly make ya cry ha. A decent finisher on that and it would of been such a different game.

Mata is generally a clinical finisher from those types of positions.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Mata is generally a clinical finisher from those types of positions.

Agree, I actually thoughr that chance fell to one of the best finishers in our squad and he still missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    I can't remember a season as bad as it. It's certainly at crisis point.

The players and the culture of the game though have a lot to answer for as well, infinitely making the refs jobs more difficult(a general point and not based on anything today).

The whole game needs to take a hard look at itself imo.

I normally try not to overboard with it cause **** happens, but like yourself, i cant remember a season like this one. So poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Didn't see any of the game today, any positives to take from it?

Valencia made me look a bit of a fool.

Thought he was brilliant today, and very productive in the final third

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Valencia made me look a bit of a fool.

Thought he was brilliant today, and very productive in the final third

Really disagree.

Time and again, he gets into a crossing position and (if he beats the first man) lumps it blindly into the box. The accuracy on his crosses are dreadful, and it's just "head down, hood and hope someone is there".

I get people like hard work and determination, but there's a massive lack of skill from him when it comes to attacking. Given how often our Rb seems to get into position to get a cross in, I really wish we could have one who can connect with a cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Manchester United are reportedly close to a deal to sign Benfica winger Goncalo Guedes. Reports from Portugal have revealed that Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira met Guedes' agent, Jorge Mendes, in London to discuss the possible transfer.

Portuguese publication Record (h/t Metro's Tom Olver) reported how United manager Jose Mourinho is set to fend off competition from the Premier League for Guedes: "Record suggest Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho on the verge of beating Arsenal to the signing of the highly rated Portugal international star."

Time for an "According to the sun" story: "Rooney offered £1 million a week to move to China."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ain't nobody turning down a mil a week. that's going on strike to force a move money.

Can play anywhere along the support line, be wary of him making a huge impact initially but he has potential certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ah sure if you followed the papers we'd be fielding an entire Benfica XI at this stage!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Ah sure if you followed the papers we'd be fielding an entire Benfica XI at this stage!

This is true, hasn't been a window where Gaitan or Garay or someone else from Benfica has been linked.

How many is that this season alone, 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't know much about the Portuguese lad but any attacking signing is welcome because they can't be any worse in front of goal than what we have now.

With the amount of chances we are creating we could put Bobby Charlton up front and he would probably break the record again.

Best thing about Bobby, wasn't even a striker!

How many league goals does Rooney have for the club? I doubt he is close to troubling Bobbys record there is he? Will take something very special to beat that in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bobby has 199 League Goals, Rooney has 180, guess Bobby's record is safe on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I actually don't understand the Valencia bashing, he has been one of our best players this season

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Rooney has 250 goals for United, one clear of Sir Bobby.

You missed the word league in that, also pretty insulting you thought I would be unaware of that! :D

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Bobby has 199 League Goals, Rooney has 180, guess Bobby's record is safe on that one

Something for Bobby to hold on to after Giggs took his apps one and Rooney has taken his scoring one for England, and United :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

You missed the word league in that, also pretty insulting you thought I would be unaware of that! :D

Yeah my bad :pac:

Deleted my post when I saw Scudzilla's post and re-reading your one properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

bangkok wrote: »
    I actually don't understand the Valencia bashing, he has been one of our best players this season

He is a very solid player but he is being relied upon too much in our attacking game. It's as if Jose is trying to recreate what he had with Maicon at Inter but Valencia doesn't have the same abilities.

His crossing was a bit better yesterday and he put in a couple of good crosses with his left foot. He is gradually improving and it's nice to see a player who has been at the club for years being improved and coached rather than rushing out to buy a replacement. Maicon was nothing special either before Jose arrived at Inter, or after he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Best thing about Bobby, wasn't even a striker!

How many league goals does Rooney have for the club? I doubt he is close to troubling Bobbys record there is he? Will take something very special to beat that in this day and age.
    Its not like rooney scored all his goals from being played as a striker. He's often played in midfield and out on the wing and when v nistelrooy and ronaldo where playin. So its not a bad tally after bein used to do donkey work either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

As a neutral I have to say Wayne Rooney came across today as very humble and dignified and very likeable. Smashing record with a smashing goal and a well deserved record for an outstanding player. Congratulations to Mr Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

bangkok wrote: »

Totally agree. A lot of the time when he puts a cross in there is on Ibra there to aim at. We are not getting enough players in the box half the time.
    Defensively he has been brilliant. Probably our most consistent player this season.
    We create 7 or 8 great chances yesterday and miss them yet posters see Valencia as the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The problem with Valencia is, he flatters to deceive. Even this season when he's having his best season in years, when examined closely it's simply not good enough. He has amazing stamina, is very strong and has great pace. He's involved in the game loads so to the casual eye can look quite a dynamic player.

But drill down a bit more and it all falls apart. His crossing is extremely unproductive. It's a rarity that he actually tries to pick out a player. for every game where we get him actually trying to take his man on and use his pace we get three or four where he just doesn't and plays the ball square or backwards. He doesn't assist or score nearly enough goals and doesn't even create nearly enough chances. He's not good enough as an attacking player.

Defensively he's not good enough either. His pace can help him out of situations at times and he does have his physicality but far too often he gets caught out of position. He ball watches an awful lot when the opposition are attacking and gets caught out time and time again positionally. I'm not even talking about being caught upfield and not bothering to get back like Evra did for his last two seasons. He's in contact with the back four but doesn't take up the correct positions. L

Look he's not the only issue in the team, probably not even top of the tree but it's being magnified by the amount of attacking play we are having on our right hand side. There's lots of huff and puff from him but not nearly enough end product at either end of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Its not like rooney scored all his goals from being played as a striker. He's often played in midfield and out on the wing and when v nistelrooy and ronaldo where playin. So its not a bad tally after bein used to do donkey work either

I've been one of Rooney's harshest critics here in recent years, but scoring 250 goals for United really is an incredible achievement.

Here's to the next 250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Was there any reason given for Martial and Rojo being out yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GSPfan wrote: »
    Was there any reason given for Martial and Rojo being out yesterday?

Dunno about Martial but Rojo was in the away fans

https://twitter.com/freebetscouk/status/822822933739540482

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

There's a quote from yesterday from Mourinho apparently saying:

"He (Rojo) was not feeling well. Martial was not selected.”

That's not a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zlatan 90 shots 14 goals.

Pogba 72 shots 4 goals.

Mata 29 shots 4 goals.

Rooney 28 shots 2 goals.

Herrera 28 shots 0 goals.

Our top 5 in taking shots,the conversion rate is shocking,when you have WBA defenders outscoring some of our attackers it makes it look even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If Arsenal win today, top 4 is very unlikely :/

Jaysus that's depressing
    I'd like for Jose to acknowledge this as being a huge issue at the moment

Pheonix10 wrote: »

How? Arsenal have been up and down on performances too out of all the teams in front of us I'd prefer arsenal to be the team in second then anyone. 6 points between second and six is grand as long as we go on another run of wins?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Jaysus that's depressing
    I'd like for Jose to acknowledge this as being a huge issue at the moment

He won't tho mick and of he did it would be a bad management move in my opinion.

Just because a manager does not say it to the media don't mean he aint stupid he can see it.

How? Arsenal have been up and down on performances too out of all the teams in front of us I'd prefer arsenal to be the team in second then anyone. 6 points between second and six is grand as long as we go on another run of wins?

Because they've never dropped out of the top 4. 6 points is quite a lot, we may go on another good run but they can afford to draw / lose 2 or 3 games more than us. For all our form recently, we are still 6th.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Arsenal win, we are still four behind forth....in January.

Yes, utterly insurmountable :rolleyes:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If Arsenal win, we are still four behind forth....in January.

Yes, utterly insurmountable :rolleyes:

No one said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pheonix10 wrote: »

What? Are they taking up all four positions? No points lost against City and Spurs, a point gained against Liverpool but an Arsenal win suddenly makes top 4 unlikely? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement