Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I just read the first part of an article in the guardian about Fergie time and the statistics behind it. I've copied the very first sentence of the article. Anyone else think it reads slightly weird?

"Sir Alex Ferguson may be long gone, but Manchester United’s knack for scoring late goals appears to be alive and well."

Can anyone confirm that Sir Alex Ferguson is actually still alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GSPfan wrote: »
    I just read the first part of an article in the guardian about Fergie time and the statistics behind it. I've copied the very first sentence of the article. Anyone else think it reads slightly weird?

"Sir Alex Ferguson may be long gone, but Manchester United’s knack for scoring late goals appears to be alive and well."

Can anyone confirm that Sir Alex Ferguson is actually still alive?

I can confirm that he's been seen at a lot of games recently sporting a hot young woman by his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jayop wrote: »
    I can confirm that he's been seen at a lot of games recently sporting a hot young woman by his side.

Yes I spotted her too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I noticed the camera going to her a lot during the games.. maybe it's actually an imposter beside her and she is there so that we can't focus on the Fergie lookalike :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Squeaky bum time???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Spine tingling. What an absolute class player he's been for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Will obviously go down as a top top player but you wonder what could have been if he took proper care of himself and held onto that explosiveness later in his career, his best attribute by a mile, he never gave defenders time to think.

He was only 28 under Moyes which is crazy thinking of his overall performance the last 4 years.

Will obviously go down as a top top player but you wonder what could have been if he took proper care of himself and held onto that explosiveness later in his career, his best attribute by a mile, he never gave defenders time to think.

He was only 28 under Moyes which is crazy thinking of his overall performance the last 4 years.

Ah for the ****ing week that's in it can you just give it a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ah for the ****ing week that's in it can you just give it a break.

I think a lot of fans are a bit underwhelmed by him breaking the record.Perhaps if he'd averaged 20 a season for the last 4 seasons then maybe there'd have been more of a fuss.His dogsh1t performances have dampened people's enthusiasm over the achievement. I think the fact we could only get a draw in the 94th minute against Stoke seemed to take our attention more.
    Fair play to Rooney but the last 4 seasons of mediocrity and his flirtations with City have reduced the impact of setting the record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »
    I think a lot of fans are a bit underwhelmed by him breaking the record.Perhaps if he'd averaged 20 a season for the last 4 seasons then maybe there'd have been more of a fuss.His dogsh1t performances have dampened people's enthusiasm over the achievement. I think the fact we could only get a draw in the 94th minute against Stoke seemed to take our attention more.
    Fair play to Rooney but the last 4 seasons of mediocrity and his flirtations with City have reduced the impact of setting the record.

It is a bit underwhelming when he's been on the cusp of breaking the record for what seems like years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm sure it's been on here already, but why is the Hull game on Thursday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

paulbok wrote: »

I guess because they played the Sunday evening match against Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

paulbok wrote: »

Because, according to Klopp, only Liverpool care about this competition.

Obviously Hull and MU are just taking the p1ss

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

This. That Sky Sports video is great and exhilarating but it's tempered by the bloated mess we've had to watch for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sure he has been poor the last few years, but come on. Top scorer for both his country and Utd, that is pretty fecking special.

We've had some top quality players over the years and Rooney sits right up there, and on goals scored is on his own.

Don't let the last few seasons take away from what an amazing talent we have had on our team. The record may have been broken in 2017, but it was the combination of all the years he has played for us that caused it.

Well done, my son, Take a bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sure he has been poor the last few years, but come on. Top scorer for both his country and Utd, that is pretty fecking special.

We've had some top quality players over the years and Rooney sits right up there, and on goals scored is on his own.

Don't let the last few seasons take away from what an amazing talent we have had on our team. The record may have been broken in 2017, but it was the combination of all the years he has played for us that caused it.

Well done, my son, Take a bow.

Exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rooney has been a top class player for us over the years, his on the field contributions are lauded and rightly so. His performances over the past couple of years have been below par, this happens naturally to players as they get older. He has a lot of miles on the clock and has run his body into the ground for the club. If he can adjust his game, and role in the team, mentally as well as physically he can still play a big part in the squad. That remains to be seen.

For a player so willing to sacrifice personal accolades and glory in the pursuit of team success I am delighted for him to achieve such a record. He deserves it, he has been instrumental in his time and scored so many important goals along the way. He will never be looked upon as fondly as some other legends of the club due to his off field antics. He has to own that as much as he owns his contributions on the field.

He is still and will always be a club legend, and of course for many there will always be this nagging thought that he actually could potentially have been even better then he was, but I don't think you can complain with the career he has had, he may not have reached the very peak of his potential, but that is ok. Not many people do reach those heights, and not many reach the heights he has topped.

He is our imperfect club legend, but a club legend right up there in the highest echelons of the clubs history none the less. In time he will be remembered more fondly I am certain. When his playing career is over and the greater body of his work is reviewed and his off the field stuff fades a little more.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is very much a good description of how I feel about it. But I also realise its such a good feat considering the sacrifices he made in playing wide or secondary to another striker. Many players wouldn't be that accommodating and would move or leave if they arn't playing in their best position while being at that level.

I don't have a lot of time for Rooney, but I'll imagine in time I'll probably melow out about him and really appreciate what he did for the club and I'll properly cherish him.

I just can't at the moment, get past his antics to push a move and to question the club on their ambitions, when I had the same questions about his own ambitions and the standard he was operating at. I feel that if maybe he was a bit more selfish in terms of where he played, being more forceful on his best position he would have been an undisputed legend and best player.

But as it stands, while he holds the record and its an incredible achievement, I don't think he makes my top 2-3 best strikers in the clubs history, and I'd say he wouldn't make a best XI no matter how many times I'd try squeeze him in.

It's a pity. For a good portion of time I absolutely adored him and I just got sour about him later on. Like I said, in time I'll probably mellow out over it and start to give him the respect he undoubtedly deserves. I used to get annoyed that he didn't reach the heights I thought he would, but then I came to realise he hit some pretty extraordinary heights. And he did form part of what for me my favourite United team, and one I'll always be disappointed we didn't win that CL final against Barca and really set Europe alight, with Ronaldo,Berbatov,Tevez and himself.

I get why people are underwhelmed by rooney but the club by a hole has been mediocre since fergie left and to be fair to Wayne he pretty much carried us threw that season under moyes we would of finished alot lower then seven only for that.

Now on this thing of flirting with city try not to let that cloud what his reasoning stated was he fell out with the club because he felt we were been overtaken by other clubs such as city spending wise and look to be honest since Gill left the club has shown what they can possibly do spending wise if we had of done that and compete with clubs for players we would of followed up the Moscow cup win with more European trophies we would of compete more with barca in them finals so in a way he was proved right we were depending on the manager to get more from an aging team and bunch of players that were punching above there weight.

The city thing doesn't bother me it may never of happened same as Gérard nearly joined Chelsea but in the end he didn't he signed a bumper new deal but he is regarded as a club legend.

Just my opinions I love rooney and love what he has done for the club but he is past it now but it will never dampen my delight for him at breaking the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Yet Ronaldo, who regularly flirted with Madrid, actually went there, then flirted with United again in order to get better contracts at Madrid is regarded as a club legend and more highly regarded than Rooney in this thread.

Roy Keane - who criticised the clubs youth on the clubs own TV channel, as well as numerous clashes with Fergie, acting like a complete scumbag whilst wearing the shirt on a number of occasions, leaves the club and hasn't had a lot of positive things to say about the club in his time as a pundit is a club legend and more highly regarded in this thread.

If I recall correctly, there was serious problems with negotiating a new contract with Rio Ferdinand in the mid-noughties with him asking for too much money. This after missing 8 months for forgetting a drugs test. Legend.

Paul Scholes refusing to play for United - has Rooney ever done this? Legend.

Yet people can't get over how Rooney who has always given his all for the club, requests a transfer at a time when, to be fair to him, the club was going no where fast. Rapidly falling behind City with a stagnant squad, he still the ability to play for pretty much anyone he wanted so why wouldn't he seek a move? We're happy to see the back of players that don't match the ambitions of the club, yet the other way around and people whinge about loyalty.
    This. That Sky Sports video is great and exhilarating but it's tempered by the bloated mess we've had to watch for the last 3 years.

What a great thing for a United supporter to say. It's a pity there isn't a Children's United thread on Boards, your post would be more suited to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I probably come across as a harsh critic of Rooney but I’d be the same way about some of my all time favourites like Keane, Cantona, Schmeichel, RVN ..etc if they had stayed around too long. It would have been painful to watch Utd fans arguing over whether any of them were good enough to still be at the club.

Rooney has been unlucky at Utd in many ways. The injury at BM which maybe cost us the title and even the CL that year and the last minute Aguero goal in 2012. Success in either of those seasons would have been credited to him, instead they’re largely forgotten. At any other club those seasons would be the stuff of legend.

In time memories of the off field stuff that irritates me now will fade, his achievements will last much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I've always liked Rooney and never understood the abuse he gets which I think is as much down to people not liking his personality as it is with his performance on the pitch. I don't even know why people don't like his personality. He's very shy and none of his teammates or anyone who actually knows him has spoken badly about him to my recollection.

He made a couple of mistakes in his life. But the fact that people are still resorting to jokes about him liking grannies a decade after the event shows that he hasn't done anything since but also shows how people love to hate him more than any other player in the history of English football.

He is basically a punching bag for everyone. The media, opposition fans and a lot of United fans. I honestly believe for a shy person like Rooney that intense scrutiny and the pressure to be perfect has impacted his performance throughout his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

people love to hate him more than any other player in the history of English football..
    erm, hyperbole, much?

John Terry, Luis Suarez, Joey Barton, Lee Bowyer. there's 4 candidates straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

jacool wrote: »
    erm, hyperbole, much?

John Terry, Luis Suarez, Joey Barton, Lee Bowyer. there's 4 candidates straight away.

None have got half the coverage Rooney has.

People love to complain. I'd say there were people moaning about how Ronaldo only get 2 goals a game and missing a free kick. Rooney is the club's leading goalscorer. Some may not like his antics but no one is perfect. I don't think he did much wrong overall. He is not the player he was but he is 31 now. All players slow down eventually and especially one who started at the highest level so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As an Arsenal fan and a neutral in this I have to say I have a great regard for Rooney. He's a thorough professional and deserves the praise he's getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

jacool wrote: »
    erm, hyperbole, much?

Balotelli, Bellamy, Ibra (by those of other clubs), Costa, Pepe, Busquets all come to my mind too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Regardless of some of his less than exemplary conduct, its a massive achievement for him and I'd be surprised if I see the record broken again in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Someone made a thread on Redcafe asking if the injury Rooney got against Bayern stopped him from being on Ronaldo's level. Now I don't agree with that at all, Rooney was never going to achieve those freakish numbers but did it have a big impact on his longevity? If I remember it right, he injured ankle ligaments at the end of the first leg and he still played the next week but was subbed off.

The thread mentions how he had 18 goals in 14 games before the injury and got 2 in 22 after it.

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about this Leon Bailey lad?
    Not seen him in action. Wondering if anyone had watched him / thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if I see the record broken again in my lifetime.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to be honest. Rooneys goals to game ratio is about the same as Andy Coles, as in its good but not that good. If Van Nistelrooy had stayed a few more seasons he would have matched it, and had Ronaldo stayed he would have smashed it.

Hell, even Rooney himself should have beaten this record ages ago so while it would take another special talent, I'm not sure its an unreachable target either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He played both legs against Cork in the Europa qualifiers and looked good.I think that's the only time I've seen him play.

Who? Is that the lad that Pool were after supposedly..

astradave wrote: »
    Who? Is that the lad that Pool where after supposedly..

He's been linked with us also. Plays for Genk currently.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/823851616025645057

United have to relocate 2600 season ticket holders to comply with new regulations on disabled seating.Capacity in OT will also drop.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Regardless of some of his less than exemplary conduct, its a massive achievement for him and I'd be surprised if I see the record broken again in my lifetime.

The record may not have been broken at all yet,Charlton scored 2 goals against Verona in the Anglo Italian cup,his total including them is 251.

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-news-wayne-rooney-may-not-have-broken-sir-bobby-charltons-red-devils-goal

Just like they found a few more apps when Giggs broke his record.

If you're including them then you'd be as well to incude Rooney's goals in the champions cup or whatever you call that preseason thing we've done the last few years.

The record may not have been broken at all yet,Charlton scored 2 goals against Verona in the Anglo Italian cup,his total including them is 251.

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-news-wayne-rooney-may-not-have-broken-sir-bobby-charltons-red-devils-goal

Thats nothing new it's been claimed for years Bobby scored 251 but seemingly official records don't count that as it wasn't a registered cup or something. Was it similar to the pre season cups they play now id imagine they aren't counted for rooney either?

As an Arsenal fan and a neutral in this I have to say I have a great regard for Rooney. He's a thorough professional and deserves the praise he's getting.

Fair play, that's very magnanimous of you considering it was his professionalism which effectively ended Arsenal's invincible run.

The rivalry with Arsenal has always been pretty civilised off the pitch even if not always on it. ;)

Korat wrote: »
    Fair play, that's very magnanimous of you considering it was his professionalism which effectively ended Arsenal's invincible run.

The rivalry with Arsenal has always been pretty civilised off the pitch even if not always on it. ;)

I preferred the old on the pitch rivalry with them.... they were some of the best games for excitememt in the last 20 years not even the majority of pool games come close to that feeling of beating them or loosing to them.

tumblr_mxmya3_Bz_SL1qaorn7o1_400.gif
    If them two couldn't get you passionate for a game nothing would.

• Advertisement

Epic midfield battles not the passathon you get with a lot of teams these days.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I preferred the old on the pitch rivalry with them.... they were some of the best games for excitememt in the last 20 years not even the majority of pool games come close to that feeling of beating them or loosing to them.

tumblr_mxmya3_Bz_SL1qaorn7o1_400.gif
    If them two couldn't get you passionate for a game nothing would.

Graham '3 yellows' Poll as the ref. he would still be classed as the best ref these days, even after the 3 yellows in the Croatia game, if he was about. Not hard mind :D

Epic midfield battles not the passathon you get with a lot of teams these days.

In fairness, the stuff that went on in those days would probably get you a hefty fine and an 8 match ban these days..

He's been linked with us also. Plays for Genk currently.

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/823923448531550210

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness, the stuff that went on in those days would probably get you a hefty fine and an 8 match ban these days..

lol I know, brilliant wasnt it!!

https://youtu.be/ebSRjIBxFNE?t=47s

Both teams were deducted points for this.

Was it much worse than what went on between City and Chelsea recently?

I had completely fogotten about this from Evans on Drogba.

About 1 minute 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrjpfszfL8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

https://youtu.be/ebSRjIBxFNE?t=47s

Both teams were deducted points for this.

Was it much worse than what went on between City and Chelsea recently?

Les Sealey holding back David Rocastle.

Both no longer with us. :(

I had completely fogotten about this from Evans on Drogba.

Channelling his inner Vidic.

I don't think he was sent off for that either. Some days he played out of his skin like Fergie had prepped him for the occassion.

Channelling his inner Vidic.

I don't think he was sent off for that either. Some days he played out of his skin like Fergie had prepped him for the occassion.

Yeah I was probably his biggest cheerleader back when I was on redcafe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement