Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nope but if he thinks Bellerin is one best right backs in the world, I'd love to hear his opinion on a range of players!

Trust me you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ask him about Fellaini for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Ask him about Fellaini for the craic.

Craic means fun and I don't see any fun in what you proposed haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Be interested in who all these world class right backs are

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jayo26 wrote: »
    Craic means fun and I don't see any fun in what you proposed haha

tumblr_no9d35J0qA1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/796844517408305152
    Chris Smalling out for at least a month with a broken toe; could even be 6 weeks. Not recovered from game at Chelsea

Well that's his little pain explained.

As much as Shaws camp have been moaning etc..and I have said my piece on him, I'd question Jose now on Smalling. He has a broken toe so I can understand why he refused to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As much as Shaws camp have been moaning etc..and I have said my piece on him, I'd question Jose now on Smalling. He has a broken toe so I can understand why he refused to play.

What I want to know is why a broken toe is only being found out now? Surely it should/would of been known after the Chelsea game? Jose can only rely on what his medical staff and the player tell him so I'm not ready to start questioning Jose on this yet.

Also, Bailly Valencia and now smalling all out for at least 6-8 weeks. Our annual defensive crisis is right on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

World? Relax

Read my post again..... I said he was "fast becoming" one of the best right backs in the world. He probably already is the best right back in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Clearly broke it himself for attention. :)the point is this. If he trains all week and is passed fit but pulls out himself then Jose can only go on what the medical team see.

The obvious question here is how the **** was it not picked up on before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Howdy folks
    Self imposed ban over
    What's up,how y'all been??
    Happens happening in United world

Mick is happy cos big Phil is back
    Jayo26 being the voice of reason
    Bangkok and his crazy thoughts

Jesus above I've missed you guys..

Nope but if he thinks Bellerin is one best right backs in the world, I'd love to hear his opinion on a range of players!

Ask away, I would be more than happy to answer

Clearly broke it himself for attention. :)the point is this. If he trains all week and is passed fit but pulls out himself then Jose can only go on what the medical team see.

The obvious question here is how the **** was it not picked up on before this.

Of course it was known, Jose probably wanted him to take an injection and play through the pain and smalling refused as was getting to painful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

bangkok wrote: »
    Read my post again..... I said he was "fast becoming" one of the best right backs in the world. He probably already is the best right back in the league.

😂😂

Of course it was known, Jose probably wanted him to take an injection and play through the pain and smalling refused as was getting to painful

Please tell me....how you categorically, without question know this?

• Advertisement

He doesn't, but that doesn't stop him constantly firing out outlandish statements like the above as fact

I said probably..... It is a fairly reasonable explanation in fairness. Wouldn't be uncommon to take an injection to a toe if it was broken and play away but when injection wears off that's when you would feel the pain

😂😂

I would be interested for you to name 5 players that are better right back than he is?

bangkok wrote:
    I would be interested for you to name 5 players that are better right back than he is?

Oh god
    Now I know why I banned myself ....
    Another name x players better who I'll then tell you are all worse than the guy I said based on nothing but my opinions..

bangkok wrote:

Oh god
    Another name x players better who I'll then tell you are all worse than the guy I said based on nothing but my opinions..

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Oh god

Well when the op tells you to relax and loads of people thank his post they obviously agree with him, so I was just interested to see who he would name.

Also, we are on a discussion forum so it's fair game to ask that kind of question and its international week so there is **** all else happening.

Ah lads, bangkok aint that bad
    Not nice to gang up on a lad!

Here's a laugh while there is nothing to talk about

According to the Sun..

"Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is plotting a shock move for Arsenal contact rebel Mesut Ozil"

:pac:

The Star say we are going back for Michael Keane for big bucks and we have offered Schweinsteiger 9.6m to terminate his contract.

The express say that Inter still want Darmian.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Yesterdays indo suggested Jose has figured out who the mole is.

No mention in the paper who it was.

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this I didn't see it discussed anywhere.

crkball6 wrote: »
    Yesterdays indo suggested Jose has figured out who the mole is.

No mention in the paper who it was.

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this I didn't see it discussed anywhere.

Are you zerks in disguise with your breaking stories!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jose will probably justify himself.

He had Frank Lampard who played a full season with a broken toe and scored 20+ goals helping them win the title.

At the same time this could also be why he appears to be launching investigations all over the place. There was insinuations he had broken a toe after the Chelsea game, so I find it somewhat unbelievable Jose would know this and still tear into him.

I'd imagine he wasn't getting information that it was a break. You wouldn't make that sort of public attack unless medical staff were saying "he's physically fine boss"

And I'm sure Mourinho will have some words with staff if that was the case, because that is a ridiculous situation to develop at a top club with top facilities onsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's bizarre that Mourinho didn't know Smalling had a broken toe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It's bizarre that Mourinho didn't know Smalling had a broken toe and was let criticise

Unless medical staff somehow missed it

Hococop wrote: »
    Unless medical staff somehow missed it

Doesn't bode well if the medical staff at a football club are missing broken bones in feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

http://sportwitness.co.uk/mourinho-speaking-to-pereira-man-united-return-possible-january/
    Andreas Pereira’s early return to Manchester United is a real possibility, Sport Witness can confirm.

The 20-year-old, who’s currently on a season-long at Granada, is open to the chance of cutting his spell short so he can prove himself under José Mourinho.

The player made ten appearances in La Liga, with the team failing to win any of them, being now bottom of the table.

But there are still positives to take from the loan. Despite the club’s poor form, Pereira is doing well. And Mourinho knows it.

Adding to earlier claims that returning to Manchester United in January is a possibility, Sport Witness has learned that Mourinho has been keeping frequent contact with the player during the past few months and there’s the ‘possibility’ that he decides to get Pereira back at Old Trafford.

José Mourinho is expected to get rid of a few Manchester United players during the January window, and given the difficulty of making new signings during this time of the season, calling Pereira back is a card the club have on the table.

The youngster is keen on rejoining his teammates at Carrington, where he’s been since 2012 since signing from PSV.

Back in September, Pereira gave an interview to Brazilian outlet Globo Esporte saying: “He wants to see how I’m going to play here in Spain and wants me to return next season to play for him.”

A change in situations at Manchester United, and perhaps an injury or two to the current squad, and Pereira’s wish could come true earlier than expected.

Possible return for Pereira in January

• Advertisement

It's bizarre that Mourinho didn't know Smalling had a broken toe and was let criticise

Of course he knew, he would have been informed by the medical department, but probably wanted smalling to take an injection in the toe and play the game away to Swansea but smalling refused is the way I imagine it planned out and then shaw telling him the morning of the game he wasn't right to play mourinho probably wasn't happy, but when they got the 3 points I think he should have said nothing especially with the international break coming up

It's bizarre that Mourinho didn't know Smalling had a broken toe

Highly doubt he didn't know

But he's been subsequently ruled out for a month, it makes the criticism look idiotic

He would lose so much credibility for lambasting a player with a broken toe.

I think it's clear he wasn't made aware of the full extent of the injury, which is ridiculous from the clubs medical staff. Who in fairness, havn't really covered themselves in glory the last few years and probably is about time there was a review done to see if they are up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

or the focus of his critique was towards shaw and smalling was lumped in with it because he was discussing the back line. I don't recall him being very specific when he talked about bravery.

We complain about the media dragging this stuff out and we're all harping on about it a week later.

But he's been subsequently ruled out for a month, it makes the criticism look idiotic

On what end?

A huge mistake to make between Jose and the medical staff.

So yes, I don't see how it's idiotic to be critical of that.

On what end?

A huge mistake to make between Jose and the medical staff.

So yes, I don't see how it's idiotic to be critical of that.

I think he is referring to Jose's critisism of the players not your critisism of Jose

I said probably..... It is a fairly reasonable explanation in fairness. Wouldn't be uncommon to take an injection to a toe if it was broken and play away but when injection wears off that's when you would feel the pain

you said of course it was known. That implies certainty. The probably was aimed at Jose's actions, there is a significant difference.

You also seem to be an expert on all things recovery. From broken legs to toe injections. Again, feel free to disclose the expertise you've acquired over the years which allows you such insight into the modern footballer and their recovery methods.

Of course he knew, he would have been informed by the medical department, but probably wanted smalling to take an injection in the toe and play the game away to Swansea but smalling refused is the way I imagine it planned out and then shaw telling him the morning of the game he wasn't right to play mourinho probably wasn't happy, but when they got the 3 points I think he should have said nothing especially with the international break coming up

And again...... In one post you defend your post stating you said probably and then an hour later you go and state opinion as fact again...... You or I have NOOOOO clue if he knew or not.

what does seem logical is that he that he said some things about pain barriers to the press. Then a few days later he launches an investigation into the medical facilities and staff at carrington (or so I read) and now a revelation breaks about a broken toe.

you could draw a logical conclusion that the aforementioned broken toe was found out after that interview, jose was livid and launched an investigation.

It reads and sounds a lot better than someone knowing someone has a broken toe, stating they should play and then the toe gets leaked. Whatever about Jose, he's not someone who typically sets himself up to fall.

• Advertisement

you said of course it was known. That implies certainty. The probably was aimed at Jose's actions, there is a significant difference.

You also seem to be an expert on all things recovery from broken legs to toe injections. Again, feel free to disclose the expertise you've acquired over the years which allows you such insight into the modern footballer and their recovery methods.

To think mourinho didn't know about his broken toe is laughable to be honest.
    Like I said already he more than likely wanted him to get an injection in the toe and play the Swansea game but smalling refused it. That is what mourinho was on about when he said about some players can't play through a little pain.

I have played a game before with a broken toe, got a cortisone injection and I played the game. Doctor told me at the time the injection would do no harm but wouldn't be wise to keep getting it.

Luckily I have never broken my leg but have been on the field twice for 2 broken legs. Different level obviously, but it was well over a year before both players came back to the same level they were at, one of them did his acl in other leg about 6 months after his comeback and decided not to play again. Mentally was the most difficult part of getting back on the pitch and there are always little set backs along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Phillip Lahm
    Dani Alves
    Both of them despite there age are probably still the best rbs in the world IMO

Carjaval
    Juanfran
    Piszcek
    Lichsteiner
    Danilo
    Aurier (when he's not being a tool)

I agree with your point though regarding in the future, I think in two years Bellerin will be at Real or Barca as he has looked really good the last 18 months or so. As of now he's on a level or slightly better than Coleman, Clyne, Walker etc. Really good player and if he keeps going like he is he will be back in Spain soon.

Like I said already he more than likely wanted him to get an injection in the toe and play the Swansea game but smalling refused it. That is what mourinho was on about when he said about some players can't play through a little pain.

I have played a game before with a broken toe, got a cortisone injection and I played the game. Doctor told me at the time the injection would do no harm but wouldn't be wise to keep getting it.

Luckily I have never broken my leg but have been on the field twice for 2 broken legs. Different level obviously, but it was well over a year before both players came back to the same level they were at, one of them did his acl in other leg about 6 months after his comeback and decided not to play again. Mentally was the most difficult part of getting back on the pitch and there are always little set backs along the way

You don't seem to get it. regarding the bolded part, it may well be what he was on about. But it also could be something entirely different, my point is the only people who know are the people behind the scenes at united. To say anything else is pure speculation.

Your "hunch" could turn out to be correct, but until something concrete from either Smalling, Jose or the medical staff comes out, you're speculating.

Christ I wouldn't like you as a juror if i was on the stand for murder.

You don't seem to get it. regarding the bolded part, it may well be what he was on about. But it also could be something entirely different, my point is the only people who know are the people behind the scenes at united. To say anything else is pure speculation.

Your "hunch" could turn out to be correct, but until something concrete from either Smalling, Jose or the medical staff comes out, you're speculating.

It won't come out though and Jose should never have said what he did at the time.

We are all on boards.ie here, nearly everything that is said by every single poster in the Man Utd thread is pure speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'll see that Mourinho kid hang for this!!!

juryduty.png?w=655&h=247

I would be surprised to learn he knew about the broken toe and made the criticism anyway. That's nonsensical management and starting a row where they didn't need to be one. That is year three Mourinho, are we really experiencing that at an accelerated level?

Although you could well be right, I'd say with the timing of this weeks stories about a review of the medical department, it's possible there was some serious crossed wires or misinformation.

I can "somewhat" accept Mourinho being that ridiculous, as I mentioned earlier he had Lampard play an entire season with a broken toe.

I tore ligaments in my ankle on a poxy pitch in Finglas when I was 17. Worse than a break. So annoying looking back cause I was in a good run of games and finally established myself in the starting lineup. I actually did it by lobbing the keeper Ozil style, rounding him, then shattering my ankle in a poxy hole in the six yard box in front of an open goal : /

Have never come back from it. Was out for the season, kept trying to come back and it wasn't right, developed some weird back issues from it that then started to affect my hamstrings and calves. Couldn't do any activity with putting consistent weight on my ankle and just piled on the weight.

Even now, 11 years later, I still can't mentally throw myself into a tackle, my ankle clicks when I walk and I still suffer from hamstring and back problems when I try five aside. Tried going back proper football a few times and it just never works out. Football for me finished before it ever really started.

So I think everyone has massive sympathy and even empathy for the likes of Shaw. Everyone is aware of the mental issues and physiological issues that come with a serious injury. But at the same time this is professional football.Nearly everyone is expendable, and the next big thing is always around the corner. You can't use it as an excuse forever.

I actually think clubs have generally been really good in this regard, surprisingly for the "treating players like meat" accusations that can go around. Look how long we have kept supporting and faith in Phil Jones. Look at Anderson. Kompany with City, Wilshere with Arsenal.

But in the end patience wears thin, and you can't keep spunking money on assets not giving a return, and the players need to acknowledge that as well and ensure they are doing their best and working their hardest to recover.

This should be nothing more then a lesson for Shaw, it shouldn't result in any massive ramifications. You broke your leg, the club supported you with world class facilities and recovery programmes, paid you in full (in some leagues like Germany, injured players don't receive their full salary)and your well through your recovery. You cost £30m, and cost us a fortune every week, and we need to start seeing some return. Whatever about the mental strength and dedication required to play at that level from the start, it's another ballgame when you are at a big club, constantly in the spotlight and the demands are so high.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    I would be surprised to learn he knew about the broken toe and made the criticism anyway. That's nonsensical management and starting a row where they didn't need to be one. That is year three Mourinho, are we really experiencing that at an accelerated level?

Although you could well be right, I'd say with the timing of this weeks stories about a review of the medical department, it's possible there was some serious crossed wires or misinformation.

I can "somewhat" accept Mourinho being that ridiculous, as I mentioned earlier he had Lampard play an entire season with a broken toe.

I tore ligaments in my ankle on a poxy pitch in Finglas when I was 17. Worse than a break. So annoying looking back cause I was in a good run of games and finally established myself in the starting lineup. I actually did it by lobbing the keeper Ozil style, rounding him, then shattering my ankle in a poxy hole in the six yard box in front of an open goal : /

Have never come back from it. Was out for the season, kept trying to come back and it wasn't right, developed some weird back issues from it that then started to affect my hamstrings and calves. Couldn't do any activity with putting consistent weight on my ankle and just piled on the weight.

Even now, 11 years later, I still can't mentally throw myself into a tackle, my ankle clicks when I walk and I still suffer from hamstring and back problems when I try five aside. Tried going back proper football a few times and it just never works out. Football for me finished before it ever really started.

So I think everyone has massive sympathy and even empathy for the likes of Shaw. Everyone is aware of the mental issues and physiological issues that come with a serious injury. But at the same time this is professional football.Nearly everyone is expendable, and the next big thing is always around the corner. You can't use it as an excuse forever.

I actually think clubs have generally been really good in this regard, surprisingly for the "treating players like meat" accusations that can go around. Look how long we have kept supporting and faith in Phil Jones. Look at Anderson. Kompany with City, Wilshere with Arsenal.

But in the end patience wears thin, and you can't keep spunking money on assets not giving a return, and the players need to acknowledge that as well and ensure they are doing their best and working their hardest to recover.

This should be nothing more then a lesson for Shaw, it shouldn't result in any massive ramifications. You broke your leg, the club supported you with world class facilities and recovery programmes, paid you in full (in some leagues like Germany, injured players don't receive their full salary)and your well through your recovery. You cost £30m, and cost us a fortune every week, and we need to start seeing some return. Whatever about the mental strength and dedication required to play at that level from the start, it's another ballgame when you are at a big club, constantly in the spotlight and the demands are so high.

Yep same as you I did lateral ankle ligaments twice in the same ankle. Was only out for around 5 weeks both times and luckily have no issues playing, although I do have to strap my ankle everytime I play and like you it clicks loudly whenever I am walking

duffman13 wrote: »
    Phillip Lahm
    Dani Alves

Carjaval
    Juanfran
    Piszcek
    Lichsteiner
    Danilo

I agree with your point though regarding in the future, I think in two years Bellerin will be at Real or Barca as he has looked really good the last 18 months or so. As of now he's on a level or slightly better than Coleman, Clyne, Walker etc. Really good player and if he keeps going like he is he will be back in Spain soon.

Don't want to be that "guy" but I simply cannot get my head around the praise Coleman receives and how people rate him. Is there some green tinted glasses going on?

Might be one of those things where anytime I see him he looks distinctly average, getting roasted by other average wide players.

I think we have a pretty good right back in Darmian, if our managers would just ****ing trust him.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Phillip Lahm
    Dani Alves

Carjaval
    Juanfran
    Piszcek
    Lichsteiner
    Danilo

At least you posted back with some names.....I presume the op would have posted a similar enough list like most would.

Of that list 5 of the players are over 31, so by me saying earlier he is fast becoming one of the best right backs in the world it wasn't really that much of an outlandish statements at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jayop wrote: »

They partially denied it. That's why Jose should have said nothing in the first place after Swansea game none of this would be played out in the media

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement