Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If anyone has a link to the goals or a nice highlight package I'd be grateful for it to be posted. Couldn't watch the game and it will likely be tomorrow before I can go searching myself :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Honestly I don't think Feyenoord are pushovers. They had good shape and as Rooney said it took two excellent goals to kill the game. They're top of the table ahead of Ajax who are solid, and PSV who last year were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If anyone has a link to the goals or a nice highlight package I'd be grateful for it to be posted. Couldn't watch the game and it will likely be tomorrow before I can go searching myself :)

PM sent for where to get highlights.

Also, the front page of /r/reddevils always has clips of the goals shortly after they've gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was only Feyenoord and all, but you can only beat what's in front of you and that was a very positive performance.

The three home results in the Europa this season have been 1-0 v Zorya, 4-0 v Fenerbache, 4-1 v Feyenoord. This is a good sign.

United should be beating 'minnows' easily though amirite!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was only Feyenoord and all, but you can only beat what's in front of you and that was a very positive performance.

The three home results in the Europa this season have been 1-0 v Zorya, 4-0 v Fenerbache, 4-1 v Feyenoord. This is a good sign.

Its a good sign that MU can beat European teams . Not showing signs that they have grasped the Premier League .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Its a good sign that MU can beat European teams . Not showing signs that they have grasped the Premier League .

They are actually, but there is still a long, long way to go in that regard.

Imo one of the biggest problems this season has been fatigue. There's a lack of squad depth in some positions and the quick turn around from the EL to PL games has caused a lot of trouble. I also think Jose has added to these problems at times by not rotating enough. This has all affected the league form. If the squad can be added to and/or we are out of the EL and/or Jose rotates a bit more, I could see the league form improving to where we want it. But it's early days, so I'm happy to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

What did Rooney say about the wedding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That it was a non story only the press digging it up

I finally got to watch the full first half there, decent enough, but the second half performance was very positive, at times breathtaking, like moments when Mata attempted that chip. He is some player for us and it looks like he is only getting better, delighted to see him get his goal just before he came off.

That goal would not have been possible though only for a sublime assist from Rooney. He had his best game tonight in as long as I can remember. In fairness, he has slowly been progressing for United since being benched with his substitute appearances and starts against weaker teams. A MOTM deserving performance, did he get MOTM in the end?

If not, Mkhitaryan should have got it. I'm quite excited about the prospect of him hitting form at United. He is so quick and dangerous when he is on the ball and running towards goal. The referee absolutely shat his shorts when Mkhi got hauled down after running through the Feyenoord defence, that still doesn't take anything away from that impressive run though. Hopefully tonight was the kick-start his United career needs.

Speaking of careers in need of a kick-start, it's phenomenal stuff seeing Phil Jones out there completing yet another game and looking like someone who could possibly make a claim for a CB spot yet. Only a few months ago, most of us were fearing the very worst for his career as a footballer, never mind one who played for United. Great stuff from him. Both he and Rojo (absent tonight) have pleasantly surprised me lately, long may it continue.

A highly enjoyable and positive performance overall. Roll on Sunday's 0-0 with West Ham where we create 40 chances and hit the post 7 times. Seriously though, Chelsea result aside, this team have been progressively getting better since around the Leicester/Stoke games. I'd argue that the points on the table are not reflective of how well the team have actually been playing. 4 more points on the table, courtesy of wins v Stoke and Burnley rather than draws, would paint a better representation of where the team is currently at. However, ifs and buts aside, despite creating endless chances we didn't put the ball in the net in those games. That's going to change soon though, our attack is becoming like nothing I've seen consistently at the club since the Fergie days. The goals are bound to follow soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

United should be beating 'minnows' easily though amirite!?!

Are you boys running some kind of a relay?

First it was Je Suis Jean.

Then MD1990.

Now yourself.

Who is next I wonder?

Exciting times for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We should be beating these teams and we haven't been for a while now so beating them so convincingly on the back of a number of really good performances is of course going to be satisfying. Do the business against West ham twice now and we're in a much better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

One thing that has become evident recently to me is how Jose has a bit of bottle and desire back in the players. Under Van gaal we looked uninterested players looked like they were afraid to take any chances they looked like they didn't know what to do with the ball.A lot of players knew that they were un droppable and this showed on the pitch. This year with Jose players look completely different Phil Jones Valencia Ander and lately Rooney Blind Rojo all look completely refreshed under Jose. Overall our play attacking and defending has been for the most part 1 million times better then since Sir Alex retired. Sometimes I think people forget Sir Alex droped players, sold players and laid into players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He said I want to make it clear, I never went into the wedding party.

By the way, angry Rooney = good Rooney

bangkok wrote: »

I love rooney when he is angry

How do you inbed YouTube? I can't remember the little thingys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

A very solid display overall , with some fantastic passages of football at times, they could easily have scored another 2-3 goals.
    I though Pogba was excellent, strong in the tackle (ooh-er missus) without fouling and always looked to play it forward. Micky T was impressive although at times I think he was trying too hard, still what a player to be effectively a new signing coming into the Xmas period.
    As for Jones, I don't think many here ever doubted he was a good defender, it's his injury record that has most of us resigned to having to ship him out. If he can keep injury free for a few months and the performances remain consistent then by all means keep him. Similar for Rooney, although he just seems to be following his normal season pattern, good - injured - sh1te- ok - good - sh1te - ok.

Finally, well done Romero, I only switched on as he made that double save. I assumed it was DeGea in goal because of that leg save until the camera zoomed in on him afterwards. If that goal had gone in, I think we may be having a different mood & conversation here this morning.

So jose said that last night's performance gives Miki the right to believe that he will start the next game in the premierleague and its up to him to take his chance.

I'll have more Miki like last night please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

jayo26 wrote: »
    I love rooney when he is angry

https://youtu.be/PLBwLsnlsqU

How do you inbed YouTube? I can't remember the little thingys

Put YouTube instead of URL in the brackets and drop the https://youtu.be/ part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The papers based on a Squawka report are saying Atletico who are looking to overturn a transfer ban are looking to sign a replacement for Antoine Griezmann who will likely move to United next summer.

Theo Griezmann was on Twitter last night and very happy with the United win.
    https://twitter.com/theogriezmann/status/801911359269117952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Beard Rooney = good Rooney.

I have nothing other than last night's performance to base that theory on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »

Meh, the pledge and turn are easy, I want to see the prestige!

Edit: If Mourinho is 'Angiers', that would make Wenger 'Borden'.

Mourinho obsessing over how to produce the greatest club side the world has ever seen, meanwhile Wenger is like "I love you Olivier Giroud" with Giroud solemnly responding "Not today".

P.S. If you haven't seen the movie 'The Prestige', watch that fúcker now!

Put YouTube instead of URL in the brackets and drop the https://youtu.be/ part.

Thanks for that pal it's the only one I never figured out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

#WelldoneFellaini

In all serious though, that was all very positive and actually just enjoyable to watch. Loads of good performances and nothing really problematic. Happy out

I'd say everything has likely been covered already, and I've nothing for you all to misconstrue as me sticking Jose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Would people rather win the Europa cup and finish 7th or go on a run and potentially finish up 2nd in the league this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would people rather win the Europa cup and finish 7th or go on a run and potentially finish up 2nd in the league this year?

My head says go on the run and finish 2nd, that would indicate we are ready to challenge for the title next year (you would think) but my heart say win a trophy, esp one we never won before.

Trophy, easily.

Finishing 2nd gets you nothing other than CL qualification. Winning the EL gets you a trophy and CL qualification.

I'd take 2nd in the league as it would mean the season would have been mainly enjoyable week to week, where as 7th and uefa would be loads of lows and one big high.

In tv terms 2nd GOT 7th and uefa walking dead

7th and a pot. Absolutely no doubt the whole reason for playing is to win trophies not to come second.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Trophy, easily.

Finishing 2nd gets you nothing other than CL qualification. Winning the EL gets you a trophy and CL qualification.

Finishing 2nd means we have had an unbelievable run in the league and millions and millions of pounds

• Advertisement

2nd may as well be 7th as far as I'm concerned. It's crap and its a failed season if we don't have silverware to show for it. Accepting 2nd as a good season is Arsenal talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Not being greedy, but I would take 2nd and a trophy like the Europa league while retaining the FA cup and winning the League cup again.

It is not like we never did a treble in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Even disregarding the CL spot that comes with winning the Europa I'd still take the trophy. What is this all about if not trying to be successful and win trophies? Just look at Gerrard, he is getting laughed at for finishing 2nd, not lauded.

Finishing 2nd means we have had an unbelievable run in the league and millions and millions of pounds

Going by last season, the difference in prize money between 2nd and 7th is £6 million.

Hardly make or break money.

Trophy > £€$

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given the trophy comes with CL football, trophy.

If it didn't, I would likely say league position cause it would be a sign of progression p, but what's important this year, for me, is the CL, and getting it by winning a trophy is better than qualifying without one.

Mkhitaryan's highlights from last night. Because of the below warning, liberal use of the mute function is advised...

https://streamable.com/00y0

na86p52.jpg?3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What was apparent last night was that all the best footballers on the team were playing. Nobody trying to blow by anyone in a one on one just good movement. Very encouraging but it shows that there was all experienced players and not relying on young players under pressure to perform to produce all of the attacking output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Was I misreading it last night, I felt that Shaw had a poor game. Not much to do defensively but wasted a few opportunities to overlap/cross?

TBH, it was less about him and more about the front 6 so maybe I am reading too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

stankratz wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan's highlights from last night. Because of the below warning, liberal use of the mute function is advised...

https://streamable.com/00y0

Jose better watch that video and take note , Mickey has great vision and brilliant attacking midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

thats what happens you play intelligent football players together

ibra

mkhitarayan---pogba---rooney----mata

carrick

all pure footballers, interchanging the whole time, hard to pick up. not really sure where to play herrera but he has to play, if he plays instead of carrick i dont think jose will start mkhitarayan

Swap Herrera for Rooney and Rashford for Ibra
    Or
    Mid 3of Herrera Pogba and Mickey
    Front 3 of Mata Ibra and rashford

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Swap Herrera for Rooney and Rashford for Ibra
    Or
    Mid 3of Herrera Pogba and Mickey
    Front 3 of Mata Ibra and rashford

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jose better watch that video and take note , Mickey has great vision and brilliant attacking midfielder

Well, he bought him. I'd say he is already aware of his strengths. Mkhitaryan played terribly against Man City and seems like he wasn't doing well in training - his being dropped and having to earn his way back wasn't a mystery. If Mkhitaryan keeps delivering performances like last night he'll be a fixture in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Why?

Rashford has a lot of pace, and last season at least he had a pretty ruthless conversion ratio when played as a striker. With those players laying passes on for him to run onto he could have a field day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why?
    Sand wrote: »
    Rashford has a lot of pace, and last season at least he had a pretty ruthless conversion ratio when played as a striker. With those players laying passes on for him to run onto he could have a field day.

Yeah. I felt that playing both Rooney and Ibrahimovic....don't get me wrong, the football was really attractive, but sub one of those two out for Herrera and Rashford, and I think we do even better. Herrera offers everything Rooney does in midfield and possibly more. Rashford would be different to Ibra, not as technically gifted but his speed could add tremendously to the game, and his positioning would thrive in that line up. But I worry against better teams, the two older players simply won't be given the time to play the style they did yesterday.

Why?

Have you been watching United this season ????????????

Sand wrote: »

Don't understand why pace seems to be the be all and end all for so many people on here. Running fast doesn't make a good footballer. Rashford has been quite poor lately and he could probably do with some time out of the first team for his own benefit as much as United's.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. I felt that playing both Rooney and Ibrahimovic....don't get me wrong, the football was really attractive, but sub one of those two out for Herrera and Rashford, and I think we do even better. Herrera offers everything Rooney does in midfield and possibly more. Rashford would be different to Ibra, not as technically gifted but his speed could add tremendously to the game, and his positioning would thrive in that line up. But I worry against better teams, the two older players simply won't be given the time to play the style they did yesterday.

Except for what we really need: goals.
    Have you been watching United this season ????????????

Yes, we've been struggling to score goals and Rashford has been relatively disappointing this season. Seems illogical to remove a player who is in good recent form of scoring and assisting goals to bring in a player that isn't.

Don't understand why pace seems to be the be all and end all for so many people on here. Running fast doesn't make a good footballer. Rashford has been quite poor lately and he could probably do with some time out of the first team for his own benefit as much as United's.

Except for what we really need: goals.

Yes, we've been struggling to score goals and Rashford as been relatively disappointing this season. Seems illogical to remove a player who is in good recent form of scoring and assisting goals to bring in a player that isn't.

Herrera arguably our player of the season. Rooney been ****e all season bar last nights game
    Rashford has played most of the season on the wing. Needs to be given a decent run up front. Ibra has been a big disappointment the last 7 or 8 games and has scored /created fuk all. Rooney And ibra have been poor when played together and are too slow. Its amazing how one good game and suddenly Rooney deserves to start ahead of Hererra.

Herrera arguably our player of the season.

He's been good, mainly in games that we didn't win though and as I said above, he doesn't carry much in the way of a goal threat which, I'm sure you'd agree, is what we've missing lately. Carrick and Pogba should be able to control midfield against most sides.
    Rooney been ****e all season bar last nights game

Quite simply untrue.
    Rashford has played most of the season on the wing. Needs to be given a decent run up front.

True, but United need to start winning league matches more than Rashford needs time upfront plus he was poor upfront last week against an Arsenal side that were there for the taking. We've just had probably the best game of the season in terms of both performance and result, why is it so necessary to alter that line up?
    Ibra has been a big disappointment the last 7 or 8 games and has scored /created fuk all.

He forced the own goal last night and scored twice in his last league game against Swansea. He has been wasteful lately but he's getting into the right positions and his contribution to build up play is excellent. He always seems to look for a killer pass as opposed to the easy option.
    Rooney And ibra have been poor when played together and are too slow.

Feyenoord at Old Trafford, Swansea away, Southampton at Old Trafford, Bournemouth away. 4 wins and 4 of our most comfortable and convincing displays this season with both Rooney and Ibrahimovich playing. You asked me above if I've watched United this season, have you?
    Its amazing how one good game and suddenly Rooney deserves to start ahead of Hererra.

It's amazing how after a great game he deserves to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I must be the only one not really on the Herrera bandwagon. I don't really see what he offers a lot of the time. There is some decent interplay between him and Mata but bar that he always seems on a different wavelength to everyone else. Looking at the results when he plays his inclusion doesn't seem to bring a positive impact to the team. He doesn't really produce going forward and his method of defending is to hack the attacking player which you can only do so many times before you are in trouble. His ill discipline (as unlucky as the slip was) cost the team against Burnley and he picks up a lot of silly cards. He's been at United for a while now and has not consistently produced over a sustained period imo.

But he's Spanish and a good passer so will get a pass over other easier targets it seems. I realise I'm probably being harsh on him and he is a likeable character but I'm not seeing what he's done that have people calling him the best player on the team so far this season.

• Advertisement

He's been good, mainly in games that we didn't win though and as I said above, he doesn't carry much in the way of a goal threat which, I'm sure you'd agree, is what we've missing lately. Carrick and Pogba should be able to control midfield against most sides.

Quite simply untrue.

True, but United need to start winning league matches more than Rashford needs time upfront plus he was poor upfront last week against an Arsenal side that were there for the taking. We've just had probably the best game of the season in terms of both performance and result, why is it so necessary to alter that line up?

He forced the own goal last night and scored twice in his last league game against Swansea. He has been wasteful lately but he's getting into the right positions and his contribution to build up play is excellent. He always seems to look for killer pass as opposed to the easy option.

Feyenoord at Old Trafford, Swansea away, Southampton at Old Trafford, Bournemouth away. 4 wins and 4 of our most comfortable and convincing displays this season with both Rooney and Ibrahimovich playing. You asked me above if I've watched United this season, have you?

It's amazing how after a great game he deserves to be dropped.
    Couldn't be arsed even debating with someone who cant find a place in the team for Herrera but thinks Rooney has had a decent season.
    Baffling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement