Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Korat wrote: »
    The kick in the face seemed to inspire Rooney. Maybe Jose could throw a boot at him, from a safe distance, before every game in future.

Although the FA would probably charge them both for something like that.

Didn't work for fergie and Beckham when they tried it ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Hococop wrote: »
    Was he captain last night? a lot of people (myself included) said when he got the armband he lost his fire and aggression good to see it back

He was captain btw. His band slipped up his sleeve for a while at one point so couldn't really see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ibra's goal return has been great over the three months, but you can clearly cut his season into three so far. Opening few games, he was great. There was a few games then where his clinical nature dried up massively; there WAS games he had chances served up to him that, had he scored, we'd be significantly better off in the league.

Last few games, he's been hit and miss. Scored a few, which is great, but missed one or two you'd expect him to score.

Still, despite that, it's great to have a striker who is 7 in 12 games. Hopefully he continues that over the whole season, and others can step up to cover when he has less than stellar games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Results like this and last Thursdays make the poxy draws all the more bloody galling.

Yurp.

I'd feel foolish to try describe that as a platform for the team or anything of the sort. Too many false dawns over the last few seasons.

But that was pretty bloody brilliant for the most part. Rooney finding form, Henrik surely coming to a starting role, Martial with a big confidence boost, Jones and Rojo looking a surprise package, Ibrahimovic still scoring and the general play looking like it's really starting to click.

But then a poor result at the weekend and all the positive vibes just get squashed.

All considered it looks extremely close, team now just needs to get a few wins in the league to really start an upward curve.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ibra's goal return has been great over the three months, but you can clearly cut his season into three so far. Opening few games, he was great. There was a few games then where his clinical nature dried up massively; there WAS games he had chances served up to him that, had he scored, we'd be significantly better off in the league.

Last few games, he's been hit and miss. Scored a few, which is great, but missed one or two you'd expect him to score.

Still, despite that, it's great to have a striker who is 7 in 12 games. Hopefully he continues that over the whole season, and others can step up to cover when he has less than stellar games.

Once you accept the type of Striker he is it does not become a problem
    Again he can have a quite game then boom score a cracker
    Should be used to this, Berbatov done the same to a certain degree
    Tbf even when he's not scoring his link up play has been excellent also which he doesn't seem to get alot of praise for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Hococop wrote: »
    Didn't work for fergie and Beckham when they tried it ha

Becks didn't openly break the dressing room omerta over that but he wore the hair band to show something had happened to him. I think that was the end of an era. It may have helped Fergie too in adjusting to the new type of player mentality.

These days a manager has very few weapons at his disposal when dealing with players that are paid more than they are and have a staff to manage their relationship with the media and their employer.

Dropping players is really the last tool left in the box.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Once you accept the type of Striker he is it does not become a problem
    Again he can have a quite game then boom score a cracker
    Should be used to this, Berbatov done the same to a certain degree
    Tbf even when he's not scoring his link up play has been excellent also which he doesn't seem to get alot of praise for

Pretty sure there isn't a stat that covers goal involvement. Ibra has been involved in so many goals this season. That reverse pass to Valencia was so sick.

I'm sure he is getting adequate praise for his link up play, which is SOOO good. It's so obvious to see in every game, even when he is playing poorly, he's still knitting things together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Said it in match thread when meant say it here, but to put the difference between last season and this, is last season is how many times did we post, praising DDG and only for him we have lost. This season our complaint is not taking the chances that come our way.

Tbh that shows the difference and while the results have been just as poor the performances have not.

We need to start winning but we are improving and going by past seasons with other similar situations of other teams the results will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭secman

When we played one touch passing with pace and movement last night it was pure joy to watch , great to see goals flow in second half and the fact that the soft goal conceded on stroke of half time didn't knock the confidence. Really enjoyed the match, onwards and upwards is what the doc ordered !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jayop wrote: »
    I love ander, I think we all do but his biggest deficiency was there for all to see last night again. People can drift past him with the ball and it happens regularly every game. If he had half the positioning of Carrick he'd be a top player.

This. Same with Schneiderlin. Drawn out by the ball and not where you need them to be defensively. Thought he did very well with the ball last night though that said. Wouldn't trust him over Fellaini or Pogba as the box to box player in a big away game though. Not that they're great at positioning but their strength kind of makes up for it.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yurp.

I'd feel foolish to try describe that as a platform for the team or anything of the sort. Too many false dawns over the last few seasons.

But that was pretty bloody brilliant for the most part. Rooney finding form, Henrik surely coming to a starting role, Martial with a big confidence boost, Jones and Rojo looking a surprise package, Ibrahimovic still scoring and the general play looking like it's really starting to click.

But then a poor result at the weekend and all the positive vibes just get squashed.

All considered it looks extremely close, team now just needs to get a few wins in the league to really start an upward curve.

These two seem to be contradictory Doc, can you clarify which one you meant more so that I can react accordingly? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

Haven't seen this posted before
    the HENRIKH MKHITARYAN Journey:
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/henrikh-mkhitaryan-manchester-united-zidane-kaka-and-hamlet/

Interesting read

Said it in match thread when meant say it here, but to put the difference between last season and this, is last season is how many times did we post, praising DDG and only for him we have lost. This season our complaint is not taking the chances that come our way.

Tbh that shows the difference and while the results have been just as poor the performances have not.

We need to start winning but we are improving and going by past seasons with other similar situations of other teams the results will come.

Jose deserves the scepticism from those who've only seen Utd in a Sky Sports bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is it possible that the best thing from last night was finally seeing Martial terrifying defenders again? Even put the two goals to one side it was brilliant to see him pick the ball up pretty much every time, turn and run straight at people again. His close control last night was by a mile the best it's been this year.

Considering he was our best attacking asset last year and he's been poop this season, getting him back flying from the left will be huge for us.

stankratz wrote: »
    These two seem to be contradictory Doc, can you clarify which one you meant more so that I can react accordingly? :pac:

Didn't mean to be.

I guess I wouldn't take that result as a "putting those crappy draws to bed and scoring 4 goals, now we can turn a corner"

Could go back to regulation against Everton with a loss or a draw or something stupid. It's the results that matter in the league.

But in terms of performances, I've never been in dispute it is better, or getting better. It's becoming a lot more formidabble in recent weeks. Where for a few games the "domination" was a big exaggerated and we were only good or threatening in patches, it's becoming much more of an onslaught for teams now.

Henrik looks to be a big part of that. His energy and guile is top class. He seems to in a whim move the team into nearly a counter attack, with the opposition flailing and running backwards, where the situation before he wreceives the ball, gives no indication to that situation developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

secman wrote: »
    When we played one touch passing with pace and movement last night it was pure joy to watch , great to see goals flow in second half and the fact that the soft goal conceded on stroke of half time didn't knock the confidence. Really enjoyed the match, onwards and upwards is what the doc ordered !

Where? Can you quote the post? :pac:

Utd are no longer former champions on a blip year.

Regardless of the money spent this is an outsider, heavily indebted, fallen giant team challenging the nouveau riche, buy-it-if-you-can't-beat-it, teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Liam O wrote: »
    This. Same with Schneiderlin. Drawn out by the ball and not where you need them to be defensively. Thought he did very well with the ball last night though that said. Wouldn't trust him over Fellaini or Pogba as the box to box player in a big away game though. Not that they're great at positioning but their strength kind of makes up for it.

Pogba has been the biggest liability defensively if were making a comparison with Herrera & Fellaini.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Duncan Castles saying Jose been given the green light to spend in January.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-give-jose-mourinho-9373671

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Delboy5 wrote: »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-give-jose-mourinho-9373671

ROUKY5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

CL quality players who are in the CL and would come to united in January

I would have thought this list is pretty small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

crkball6 wrote: »
    CL quality players who are in the CL and would come to united in January

I would have thought this list is pretty small.

Without having a list of players, any teams from Portugal, Ukraine or Russia are generally OK with selling players in January even if they are still in the CL. They don't have any expectation of winning it, and the bulk of the money has been earned merely by playing well enough in the group to qualify for L16.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Didn't mean to be.

I guess I wouldn't take that result as a "putting those crappy draws to bed and scoring 4 goals, now we can turn a corner"

Could go back to regulation against Everton with a loss or a draw or something stupid. It's the results that matter in the league.

But in terms of performances, I've never been in dispute it is better, or getting better. It's becoming a lot more formidabble in recent weeks. Where for a few games the "domination" was a big exaggerated and we were only good or threatening in patches, it's becoming much more of an onslaught for teams now.

Henrik looks to be a big part of that. His energy and guile is top class. He seems to in a whim move the team into nearly a counter attack, with the opposition flailing and running backwards, where the situation before he wreceives the ball, gives no indication to that situation developing.

Get ya Doc.

Last week after them putting 4 past Feyenoord, I wrote of the positives and how I reckoned the team were starting to play better each game. I finished that post though with a comment like "Roll on the 0-0 with West Ham at the weekend, where we create 40 chances and hit the post 7 times." I was joking with the exaggeration, but it was based on a serious feeling that no matter how well the team are starting to gel, I just can't be too confident in the league as of yet. The results need to start flowing.

Mkhi is a scary prospect alright, definitely a big part of the domination over these last two mid-week games. Before he came in though, Mata was doing great in the team and there were plenty of chances being created. Jose has an interesting task ahead picking forward players when quite a few of them are starting to find form. Not a bad problem to have though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the first half was still a worry for me as good as some of the play was the chances were still not being finished. it seems to be a real problem at the minute with all the combinations of front 4 we play.

sky88 wrote: »
    the first half was still a worry for me as good as some of the play was the chances were still not being finished. it seems to be a real problem at the minute with all the combinations of front 4 we play.

Very true, those missed chances could have come back to hurt us, as they do in the league lately. Speaking of 'all the combinations' though, it's promising to see that no matter what team Jose fields, his ideas and methods seem to be channeling through the whole squad, and not just a specific group of players.

December's fixtures...

5EK9LDP.jpg?1

stankratz wrote: »
    December's fixtures...

5EK9LDP.jpg?1

Wow 5 games in 14 days and thats just before the xmas period starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wow 5 games in 14 days and thats just before the xmas period starts

I'll take 5 premier league wins please and a draw at spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

As a curious fan of an opposing team, am genuinely wondering if United fans have privately considered the absence of a scowling, gesticulating Mourinho from the bench is a bonus for the United players, in terms of morale? They seemed to enjoy their 'ball last night, quality of opposition aside..

• Advertisement

The European one is annoying we should have it wrapped up and be sending the u10s off to Russiabut as its a must win that wont be the case. No team in our group has won away from home yet either.

Actually a draw does us by the looks of it but still annoying position to be in.

Ya 5 wins would be a nice xmas present alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

garra wrote: »
    As a curious fan of an opposing team, am genuinely wondering if United fans have privately considered the absence of a scowling, gesticulating Mourinho from the bench is a bonus for the United players, in terms of morale? They seemed to enjoy their 'ball last night, quality of opposition aside..

Of course it doesn't affect their morale, anybody "scared" of Mourinho knows he is still watching the game for gods sake.

Not to mention that the performance has been just as good when Mourinho was on the sideline, the only difference between last night and previous games was the small fact that we finished our chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

garra wrote: »

Not a chance they been playing sane way for weeks just last night they finished chances.

I think we'll get 5 wins out of the next 7.

Quote me on that.

One draw away from next round of euro league then we can forget about that for few months but come February they could be our most important games if we haven't made any ground on top four it will be our most realistic chance of champs league and the Crappy part of it is out of the way.

We are capable of beating Tottenham and I would always be looking to beat that lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

jayo26 wrote: »
    Not a chance they been playing sane way for weeks just last night they finished chances.

Fair enough I haven't watched United recently. With that squad you should have a greater points return but that's understandable with new players and new manager etc, just hope this resurgence is a glitch though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Quote me on that.

Done.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Done.

It means nothing without a forfeit.

What's your wager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Delboy5 wrote: »

Spend only if players were to leave I would imagine.

Depay is def gonna go. One of the biggest flops in United history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zorro2566 wrote: »
    We are capable of beating Tottenham and I would always be looking to beat that lot!

To quote a famous man "it's ****ing Spurs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Kalel wrote: »
    Haven't seen this posted before
    the HENRIKH MKHITARYAN Journey:
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/henrikh-mkhitaryan-manchester-united-zidane-kaka-and-hamlet/

Interesting read

That's a great read. If that is genuinely Mkhitaryans own words and he keeps turning in the performances he has in the last week or two, then hes going to be one of my favourite players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What about United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It means nothing without a forfeit.

What's your wager?

Wooosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bangkok wrote: »
    Spend only if players were to leave I would imagine.

Depay is def gonna go. One of the biggest flops in United history

The Star..I know,saying Jose wants Rakitic from Barca.

In other news we are 4 goals away from paying another £8.4 million for Martial, the clause kicks in when he hits 25 goals,he's now on 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't think Mourinho should be given any money unless it is from player sales or to fill an emergency position for injuries.

There comes a point when a manager needs to be told to coach the team and players into playing better rather than just throwing money at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I don't think Mourinho should be given any money unless it is from player sales or to fill an emergency position for injuries.

There comes a point when a manager needs to be told to coach the team and players into playing better rather than just throwing money at it.

I might agree with you here if Jose had been at the club for two years and bought 20 players however the team clearly needs reinforcements at the back. We don't have enough CBs at the club so he will definitely be spending money.

The key point is we are playing hugely better so your second point is pretty much redundant. He has us playing some really good stuff and I'm happy for him to be given more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We are playing better. And it has been down to coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sand wrote: »
    That's a great read. If that is genuinely Mkhitaryans own words and he keeps turning in the performances he has in the last week or two, then hes going to be one of my favourite players.

Gary Neville's is a great read too

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary-neville-manchester-united-liverpool/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭secman

We are playing better. And it has been down to coaching.

Or philosophy :)

Haven't heard that word for a while thank God!

secman wrote: »
    Or philosophy :)

Haven't heard that word for a while thank God!

Dont forget the prosesh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement