Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simply put, he players don't have the ability or concentration to sit back for twenty minutes and defend. Saw that last year, seeing it this year too. Can't complain with the result. Penalty aside, their goal was coming, and we relied on a moment of magic to do anything.

Ability? This is the joint best defence in the league your talking about from last season.

Thought the defence did really well today. Rojo (btw how that wasn't a red) and Jones have been excellent since coming in.

Fellaini being brain dead is harsh to skate the entire defence. They are being let down by those playing in front of them.

Not even going to mention Carrick for you know who will only start up with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yep this is it

Jose to blame for me, Fellaini ****ed up but it can happen

Should have aimed to score more rather than try and hold onto a lead instead of a negative sub

I actually think Fellaini should have come on 20 mins earlier for Pogba or Herrera who tired and had a poor second half.

I don't think we went defensive but the midfield faded and should have been freshened up before Everton took control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

enzo roco wrote: »
    Phil Jones surprisingly (to me) gives a good interview

But he avoided the question. About his teammate's red card.
    Excellent media training,

Yeah next time he should say it was a red and end up with a one game suspension for questioning the referee's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

To be fair, if he didn't make the Fellaini sub and we conceded it would have been "why didn't he shut up shop instead of going for more"

It was the best option, the players were given plenty of time to start playing again and they didn't oblige

Not for me. Fellaini has no pace, is not a great passer, is prone to a rash challenge and is actually a bit disappointing in the air given the size of him. All traits you need if you've decided to defend a lead. It's not his fault but three managers look at his frame and think that he's something that he's not.

The problems started earlier though. Why are we sitting back? Why are the subs so late? Why leave Ibra on when we're lashing balls down the pitch when a willing runner like Rashford would have been better suited from 70 mins on?

The defence is also a shambles. Rojo is not top quality, Valencia is returning to his former self, which means his defensive frailty is no longer nullified by his attacking threat, and Darmian is a waste of possession going forward. Jones was good today but he still resorts to too many lumped passes forward.

In the grand scheme of things, a draw at Goodison should be a good result all things considered, but the manner of it means it's just another two points lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jose screwed that one up but the players have to take some of the blame too.

Fellaini was clumsy but it was IMO a very soft penalty, the ref had an absolutely shocking display.

We are so fcuking Jeckyl and Hyde at the moment.

Shyt today, savage mid week.

Shyt last Sunday, savage in Europe the previous Thursday.

Today was the worst performance I've seen under Jose.

Our top 4 rivals drop points and we oblige them by doing the same.

Late goals and early goals really killing us.

We will be very lucky to get top 4 at this stage and on the strength of today we don't deserve it.

A gilt edged chance to close the gap and we pissed the bed.

Very disappointing altogether.

beno619 wrote: »
    I actually think Fellaini should have come on 20 mins earlier for Pogba or Herrera who tired and had a poor second half.

I don't think we went defensive but the midfield faded and should have been freshened up before Everton took control.

That was a perfect game for mata to add some composure and create something or try and slow the tempo down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

TheDoc wrote: »
    The embarrassment will come from people defending that tactical decision. But whatever

Nope, you just have your knickers in a twist and are making statements that are factually incorrect. Not one person has said that was a good performance. It was horrendous. Mourinho made many mistakes today and it will be acknowledged. It's strawman argument **** to justify your recent meltdowns about the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Just shows the difference between the top teams and coaches and us. Absolutely perfect example from Chelsea yesterday.

Polar opposite from us, bringing on Fellaini and moving Herrera out wide. Attack comes down that flank and bang peno. Stupid from Fellaini, so absolutely brain dead, but literally was not surprised points where lost after seeing the sub.

Eh Chelsea took off Costa and brought on Chalobah yesterday, a pretty similar sub to Fellaini for Martial. But dont let that stop your anti Mourinho tirade.

• Advertisement

Saw the Liverpool match today and while I was delighted I turned to herself after she mentioned the chance to close the gap "are you for real? Loss or draw now guaranteed"

Miss the days where United chasing were a fearful proposition for everyone. Maybe it's the quality of the players or the experience. But this team is entirely incapable of making chances count and grasping opportunity.

Getting close to just wiping this season off so I don't have to care so much and then get back objective from next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Debil wrote: »

He's not, is he?

Haha! I'd doubt it. Probably rubbed some vicks on his hand to sniff if he has a blocked nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Very poor from Jose at the moment. He's not inspiring the players at all. As someone said, it's worryingly like his last season at Chelsea.

Given what he spent, you'd expect a lot more than all these draws with weaker teams.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Haha! I'd doubt it. Probably rubbed some vicks on his hand to sniff if he has a blocked nose.

"vicks"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The only positives I can think of...
    1. We gained a point on both City and Liverpool.
    2. Maybe Jose might now think it would have been better to put Blind on and Mata...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That was a perfect game for mata to add some composure and create something or try and slow the tempo down

Yep a straight swap with Pogba might have been a better sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pogba and Ibra not living up to their star billing. I'd let Pogba on the bench just to make the point publicly that he needs to lift it.

Ibra not holding the ball up very well for a big fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Debil wrote: »
    "vicks"

You actually think he's snorting cocaine on live tv in front of a billion people around the world?
    Cop yourself on.

Nope, you just have your knickers in a twist and are making statements that are factually incorrect. Not one person has said that was a good performance. It was horrendous. Mourinho made many mistakes today and it will be acknowledged. It's strawman argument **** to justify your recent meltdowns about the team.

Yeah we will see during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

and then get back objective from next season.

The one thing you are not is objective.

We needed somebody to put their foot on the ball and stop everyone from hoofing possession away to their back 4. We also needed Rashford on centrally to make some runs and give their infield pause for thought before they swept forward. That was their defensive midfielder in the box there for the penalty. We should be able to transition to counter attack rather than sit back and pray to the footballing Gods that we can keep out the waves.

• Advertisement

You actually think he's snorting cocaine on live tv in front of a billion people around the world?
    Cop yourself on.

Jose has lost it he is a coke addict, only weeks away from hookers on the sideline and a shoot out with his dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jose says what matters this season is points not quality of football.

Cop yourself on.

But if he is I'm all for it.

Thought Zlatan did alright today, can't really expect him to go for 90 mins in back to back games.

Another poor decision from Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Play the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme and read from the bottom up...

vUTdPzrl.jpg

Cop yourself on.

I'll take it to the humour thread then.

Yeah we will see during the week

Cool. And if the posts you are talking about don't materialise, maybe you will entertain the idea that you're not entirely rational about this and that you may need to re-evaluate your position.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Eh Chelsea took off Costa and brought on Chalobah yesterday, a pretty similar sub to Fellaini for Martial. But dont let that stop your anti Mourinho tirade.

Costa was injured....and he didn't take of Hazard. And a striker came on after.

But yeah me being anti Mourinho

TBH I'm just done posting for a while. Sick of this being labelled at me and now even someone questioning my objectivity haha

See yas next season for the Europa league draw. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I didn't see a United team today that were horrified at dropping points. All of the great teams are player led and the manager oversees things. This team has no leaders. The players have a mid table attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That's optimistic at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Neville hit the nail on the head during the commentary, United lack resolve and they can't close out games. 10 points lost that we really should have and I've while never commented on Fellaini before, I think it's now an appropriate time. What a complete idiot he is and it doesn't matter that it was a soft penalty, Fellani was stupid enough to leave himself open to giving one away. Looking at the football Jose has us playing again in recent weeks, I can't see how Fellani can fit in, or what if anything that he can bring to the team, based on the style of football Jose wants to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LeeJM wrote: »

Conte has Chelsea playing well. They're not all fantastic, Fabregas was poor yesterday, Cahill and Moses are no great shakes, either is Pedro really.

But Conte has them fired up. He's getting big performances from his big players and competent ones from the rest.

Compare that to utd right now and you can see the difference is clearly in the managers.

Costa was injured....and he didn't take of Hazard. And a striker came on after.

But yeah me being anti Mourinho

TBH I'm just done posting for a while. Sick of this being labelled at me and now even someone questioning my objectivity haha

Ah heyor, people are going to disagree with your opinions on a message board and notice trends in people's posts. No need to take the ball and go home.

Have to look at the positives, we leapfrogged West Brom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As far as this season goes, we're giving away far too many goals in the first and last two minutes. It feels as if the overwhelming majority of goals we conceed are within those timeframes, and that to me is a massive issue with concentration of everyone involved in defending. Not just the back four, but the overall defensive contributions from the team.

The team is missing a massive ability in the concentration department and thats so, so frustrating. With the exception of Chelsea, I really don't feel we're being played off the pitch at all. We're just prone to a brainfart every ****ing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Our two 35 year old players both went 90 in the space of a few days and both looked gassed in the last 20 minutes. That's all on Jose. We have a near first XI playing the a mickey mouse cup during the week, why isn't he giving the younger players like TFM and reserves like Young these games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Neville keeps mentioning the europa league as a problem but can anyone tell me the difference playing Wednesday and Saturday then Thursday and Sunday. Honestly it's just an bull**** excuse.

I didn't see a United team today that were horrified at dropping points. All of the great teams are player led and the manager oversees things. This team has no leaders. The players have a mid table attitude.

Its a massive problem within that squad, I would trust very few of them in tight situations.

Felliani will be this weeks scapegoat but the problems were there from early in the first half, if Felliani was to come on it should have been in the first half for the rubbish Carrick. Or Blind for Carrick. Or an inanimate carbon rod for Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No issue shutting up shop, just don't rely on Fellaini to help you in this position. If the guy isn't giving away the ball he is fouling in dangerous areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

FatherTed wrote: »
    Our two 35 year old players both went 90 in the space of a few days and both looked gassed in the last 20 minutes. That's all on Jose. We have a near first XI playing the a mickey mouse cup during the week, why isn't he giving the younger players like TFM and reserves like Young these games?

Because we'd lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Carrick definitely showed his age today. He looked well off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Because we'd lose?

so? with all due respect who cares about the League Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Because we'd lose?

It depends what is more important? The League Cup or having the players prepared for a Prem game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Pogba needs to start working more, doing more humble, mundane and vital jobs and to basically play for the team. Stop thinking you're something special and start serving the players around you and in front of you. And shock, horror you might fucking cover back as well occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Quandary wrote: »
    Carrick definitely showed his age today. He looked well off the pace.

He's played like that for most of last season. I think Jose was playing the right amount earlier in the season. Has to pick and choose his games. He hasn't been as good as people keep saying he has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It was a penalty. He doesn't need to go for that ball. The forward has his back to goal with ample cover behind. I don't know what the **** he was thinking.

Very very frustrating

If we lose to spurs now it's going to make top 4 very very difficult

sky88 wrote: »
    He's played like that for most of last season. I think Jose was playing the right amount earlier in the season. Has to pick and choose his games. He hasn't been as good as people keep saying he has

Hopefully this shuts up those calling for him to play every game. Carrick wasn't the reason we had some good performances and when bad he can really be a bad influence on the rest of the teams play. Use him where appropriate but he can't be a first team player going forward.

Two league wins since August.

Sunderland have 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

J. Marston wrote: »

Sunderland have 3.

Moyes in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »

Sunderland have 3.

Can see him really focusing on the League cup, given we're in the semis. There was people who thought LVG winning a trophy within 2 years of starting was a good sign of progression. Jose winning one within months would take pressure off him a bit. Hopefully :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement