Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

Jose - "Yes it was a stupid penalty to concede and yes Rojo should definitely have been sent off"

Press - "Pathetic Mourinho throws his players under the bus yet again!!!!!!"

Of course he saw what happened, and of course he doesn't want to talk about it.

Mourinho, yes I saw the incidents and will deal with them inhouse...next question please. No bus no blindfolds...simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

secman wrote: »
    Mourinho, yes I saw the incidents and will deal with them inhouse...next question please. No bus no blindfolds...simples

He gives that sort of response and that will only encourage them more to ask follow up questions.

They aren't thick. They know he saw the incidents and they know what he was really saying to them when the said "I didn't see it".

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The last 10-15 minutes of the game were the most frustrating in recent memory ,to be fair an Everton goal was coming but what a stupid way for it to happen.

Thought we were aggressive today, played well in first half but just not with it from the 70th minute or so onwards. Would Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin have made a difference in place of Fellaini? Killed the game maybe?

Pogbas the biggest problem for me at the minute, its just not happening.

Think the results will come and soon. Joses siege mentality is slowly coming into the club.

adox wrote: »
    He gives that sort of response and that will only encourage them more to ask follow up questions.

They aren't thick. They know he saw the incidents and they know what he was really saying to them when the said "I didn't see it".
    So lie about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They didn't ask him if he saw the incidents, they asked what he thought about them. Just saying he saw the incidents no more answers the question than saying he didn't see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So lie about it .

*dramatic*

So lie about it .

Lie? Like saying he didn't see them?

Of all the valid reasons to criticise Jose today this is really small beans.

They didn't ask him if he saw the incidents, they asked what he thought about them. Just saying he saw the incidents no more answers the question than saying he didn't see them.

Mourinho, I saw the incidents, but will hold back my thoughts until we review the match as a whole , within our camp. .. next question.
    That whole Manuel . Crap. I know nothing ..I saw nothing... . Wenger.guilty of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Can't believe people are debating that pen, if that was a united player fouled in the box and it wasn't given we would be calling for the refs head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Mourinho, I saw the incidents, but will hold back my thoughts until we review the match as a whole , within our camp. .. next question.
    That whole Manuel . Crap. I know nothing ..I saw nothing... . Wenger.guilty of it too.

What would be the point talking about it? To help journalists sell papers because you sold your players down the river?

• Advertisement

"The way you conceded the penalty, did you blame Felliani for that or was it just one of those things?"

Once again, nobody asked him if he saw the incident, they asked directly if he blamed his player. It would be rather strange for him to respond by saying that he saw the incident, but even apart from that, your response is one that just leaves room for follow up questions.

Or he could just say he didn't see it and end the discussion right there.

Yea I'm against the grain and I don't care. Carrick had a good game.

Raving saying he had a bad one sorry lads

edgecutter wrote: »
    What would be the point talking about it? To help journalists sell papers because you sold your players down the river?

?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    michael carrick has been with the club 10 years, has won everything at club level with united, he is already a club legend, he was very good defensively today. fellaini is at the club now 4 years, has been a complete failure of a signing. was never and will never be a united player.

Wut

Only seen 2 posters mention Carrick but imo he was the worst player on the field

The goal was coming plus we need buy CB too. Rojo just aint going cut it and he should have seen red.

In some ways we were actually lucky to get a point

Sorry Kew, I love Ya (lol) but I have to disagree with Ya!!

Carrick is getting slated here and I think its nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yea I'm against the grain and I don't care. Carrick had a good game.

Raving saying he had a bad one sorry lads

yea i agree, his passing wasnt as good as normal but defensively he was good

player ratings...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-1-1-manchester-united-9392739

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/everton-v-manchester-united-player-ratings-35267247.html

Look , it's just a pet hate of mine when Managers become Manuel... as I said Wenger.guilty, does it all the time and it gets on my wick .

More concerned with one league win in almost 2 months.. becoming a cup team is a pain in the arse. Bad bad day at the office yet again... becoming a trend now. We haven't beaten a half decent side let alone a decent one in the league.
    Buck stops with the Manager... always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A manager should be allowed to answer any question asked by the press in an official conference. If the FA don't like that, they should ban the press that ask those questions, not the manager who answers them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CyqJee1UUAAZ9tD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    CyqJee1UUAAZ9tD.jpg

Haha pal I'm not gonna even go looking for the post but that's screenshot I took on my phone a few weeks ago and posted here you can even still see the Samsung edge tab on the photo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha pal I'm not gonna even go looking for the post but that's screenshot I took on my phone a few weeks ago and posted here you can even still see the Samsung edge tab on the photo :)

Redcafe stole it.:p

We could have done with a bit of his craft today when things were scrappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jose in the stands is clearly the way to go.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mourinho obviously reading my posts on boards.ie :)

No thoughts... no comments..... no lies:)

We could have done with a bit of his craft today when things were scrappy.

I'm not entirely convinced about that tbh. Obviously the change should have been made because we were crap and a change needed to be made, but Mata has had his share of games where he was ineffectual in tight games, I guess I don't see it as a given that he would have slotted in up front and made us much better.

Its easy to say that we needed to use the ball better and so Mata would have been the man, but for me the problems were all coming from deeper and Mata would have had limited effect in that department. And put bluntly, he is another in this squad that hasn't exactly shone as a leader in his time here, I don't him him dragging a poorly performing side to a win.

He probably should have come on and he could well have created something, but I think a change to Carrick and Herrera would have been more significant than bringing Mata on.

Just watched it again I take it back that was a shocking challenge by Fellaini absolutely brainless challenge.

Just watched it again I take it back that was a shocking challenge by Fellaini absolutely brainless challenge.

you didnt think that at the time?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I've said this for ages but apparently I was picking on him.He's good with time on the ball but under pressure he goes missing and is a liability.

Been saying this all season as well.

Been a great servant but his time has come. Honestly this myth that we only play well with him in the side is just that a myth.

Team played pretty well today, Fellaini was incredibly stupid, Rojo was lucky to be on the pitch, Gareth Barry had a dodgy tackle also. At this point I am thinking to myself, "endure it, endure it" but at times it is extremely tough. 7 points dropped now in the last ten minutes of games. There is still a mental fragility there, hopefully it turns quickly but I will continue to endure for now, we need to be scoring more then 1 a game right now that's for sure. Hererra chance goes in and we see that out I think.

Pogba good, Miki good, some others pretty good too but its just not there yet. The team will gel and start ripping up the league soon I think, everything is looking more fluid offensively and it surely can't be long. Defensively is still obviously a concern, seeing out games but that will come too, I hope.

Rojo's tackle was disgraceful just in case I haven't conveyed how bad it was.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

sky88 wrote: »
    Been saying this all season as well.

Been a great servant but his time has come. Honestly this myth that we only play well with him in the side is just that a myth.

Think its only really bangkok who keeps perpetuating that one, he just says it so much maybe it seems like more. I think most people know Carrick's limitations. I thought up to today he had been managed pretty perfectly. Today he should not have played, but couldn't blame the manager for that really, can certainly question why he last the full game though.

• Advertisement

you didnt think that at the time?? :eek:

Was in the pub and was full sure the Everton dude dived in on fell haha I hate watching games in pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Think its only really bangkok who keeps perpetuating that one, he just says it so much maybe it seems like more. I think most people know Carrick's limitations. I thought up to today he had been managed pretty perfectly. Today he should not have played, but couldn't blame the manager for that really, can certainly question why he last the full game though.

Media as well mainly ex players who are his friends keep saying it as well which I think is more I was referring too.

Carrick had a decent game today, to say otherwise is just not true.

Also on his "limitations" do you honestly think he would have lasted so long in midfield under Alex Ferguson, or Jose mourinho would have offered him a new contract if he has the limitations that are suggested on here??

Was in the pub and was full sure the Everton dude dived in on fell haha I hate watching games in pub.

Yea fair enough, did you see his pass 2 minutes later, Utd player 5 yards away and he blasts it into the crowd. Sunday league stuff

Carrick had a decent game today, to say otherwise is just not true.

Also on his "limitations" do you honestly think he would have lasted so long in midfield under Alex Ferguson, or Jose mourinho would have offered him a new contract if he has the limitations that are suggested on here??

Ferguson and central midfield is hardly a good subject to discuss so lets move on to Mourinho, yes of course, all players have limitations. Carrick still has something to offer to the squad. Its ok to acknowledge a players limitations even though they clearly still have a role at the club.

Yea fair enough, did you see his pass 2 minutes later, Utd player 5 yards away and he blasts it into the crowd. Sunday league stuff

That made me sigh alright, great chest control to take the ball down and move into the box with it, simple ball then out to Darmian was it? No, puts way too much on it and nobody is even the slightest bit surprised.......

When you come off the bench to help your team defend a 1 goal lead and give away a penalty within two minutes it probably isn't going to be your day.

• Advertisement

Ferguson and central midfield is hardly a good subject to discuss so lets move on to Mourinho, yes of course, all players have limitations. Carrick still has something to offer to the squad. Its ok to acknowledge a players limitations even though they clearly still have a role at the club.

Ferguson had the greatest midfield partnership in the history of English football so I'm sure he was well qualified enough to know about midfield

Ferguson had the greatest midfield partnership in the history of English football so I'm sure he was well qualified enough to know about midfield

Jesus ****ing christ, the only response you ever have is to claim that something was great in the past and so must be great forever more, its so ****ing inane.

Fergie had great midfields in the past, he also had Tom Cleverley, Anderson, Alan Smith in midfield and a late 30's winger playing CM in a European cup final against Barcelona. He didn't buy a ****ing midfielder at all for about 5 years at one stage, he might have been qualified but he wasn't ****ing infallible.

ETA: **** **** ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Our midfield was dire for years under Ferguson. He never brought in a replacement for Keane or Scholes (hence why he was needed to come out of retirement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm sure Mourinho told the players to try hold a one goal lead from 70 minutes onwards, even with the incredible amount of bad luck we've been having and 5 points dropped already this season in the last quarter of games, what could go wrong?

KH25 wrote: »
    Our midfield was dire for years under Ferguson. He never brought in a replacement for Keane or Scholes (hence why he was needed to come out of retirement).

He signed carrick for Keane and he was a huge success. He signed plenty others too, Anderson was fantastic for a few seasons, veron but it didn't work out, tried to sign Xavi. Kleberson flopped as did djembe djemba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

My first decent look at Mkhitaryan. Proper baller, he's going to be such an asset now he's back in

He signed carrick for Keane and he was a huge success. He signed plenty others too, Anderson was fantastic for a few seasons, veron but it didn't work out, tried to sign Xavi. Kleberson flopped as did djembe djemba

So 1 player out of 6 you named? Then what about all the years after?

Jesus ****ing christ, the only response you ever have is to claim that something was great in the past and so must be great forever more, its so ****ing inane.

Fergie had great midfields in the past, he also had Tom Cleverley, Anderson, Alan Smith in midfield and a late 30's winger playing CM in a European cup final against Barcelona. He didn't buy a ****ing midfielder at all for about 5 years at one stage, he might have been qualified but he wasn't ****ing infallible.

ETA: **** **** ****

You said earlier carrick was the biggest single reason we failed to win today as he had a knock on to other players.

That is insane

KH25 wrote: »
    So 1 player out of 6 you named? Then what about all the years after?

What you mean 1 out of 6?

He signed midfielders, some worked out others didn't.

Owen Hargreaves was class when we signed him along with Anderson. We won a European cup and premier league double that season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Carrick was a success but he was nothing close to the influence of Roy Keane. He was like replacing Ronaldo with Valencia.

Anderson was never fantastic for any consistant run.

SAF ****ed up with United's midfield in the end, when Hargreaves was out he never replaced him, when Scholes was coming to an end he never replaced him. This was at the end of SAFs time so is a very small part and small criticism of his time.

What you mean 1 out of 6?

He signed midfielders, some worked out others didn't.

Owen Hargreaves was class when we signed him along with Anderson. We won a European cup and premier league double that season

You named 6 midfielders, Carrick being the only one who can be considered a success in any real way. Xavi doesn't even count because he never played for united

The point is, the midfield was a huge weakness for years and he didn't address it. This was after Hargreaves etc were signed. Just because the team won leagues doesn't change the fact that Ferguson didnt address the one glaring problem with the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sorry Kew, I love Ya (lol) but I have to disagree with Ya!!

Carrick is getting slated here and I think its nonsense

Im only slating him for the performance yesterday

Always liked Carrick, just think he was awful though and Fellaini is the scape goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Carrick was fine except the last 10-15 mins where it was easy to see he was tiring. He also played 90 during the week.
    I really don't blame Fellaini for this loss because this is what he does. It is all on Jose. Why isn't Schneiderlin or even Schweinsteiger on the bench to come on in this situation near the end. Anyone but Fellaini.
    October 1 we were 2 points ahead of Chelsea. Now we're 13 behind:(

Shows you how quickly things can change in this league. From now until Jan 2:
    Dec 11, Spurs H
    Dec 14, Crystal Palace A
    Dec 17, WBA A
    Dec 26, Sunderland H
    Dec 31, Boro H
    Jan 2, West Ham A

They should be aiming for 18 points. Really. But we know he'll play the first XI against Zoria which will lead to a poorish performance against Spurs like today and we'll be lucky to get a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM_7 wrote: »
    Carrick was a success but he was nothing close to the influence of Roy Keane. He was like replacing Ronaldo with Valencia.

Anderson was never fantastic for any consistant run.

SAF ****ed up with United's midfield in the end, when Hargreaves was out he never replaced him, when Scholes was coming to an end he never replaced him. This was at the end of SAFs time so is a very small part and small criticism of his time.

Carrick still being underrated by the people. Very different to Keane but has had a huge influence on how United have played the last 10 or so years. But sure, you could have anyone in midfield and make the CL final 3 years out of 4. Keane is my number 1 football hero and irreplaceable but I honestly can't think of anyone other than Xabi Alonso (and i'm even unsure he was up to Carrick's level defensively) who could have been a better option there than Carrick.

Fellaini is going to get the blame for today but it's the same old story. Chance's missed and should have won. There's no reason United aren't up there and I believe that the team picked today would be capable of great things but the team lacks a bit of desire without Rooney and I still believe that. As bad as he's played sometimes he has the attitude of a winner and that's needed. United lack that without Schweinsteiger and Rooney. But sure that's been a problem for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Normally with a bad result I'm usually over it the next day, not this time I'm actually still seething from that result, its so frustrating how this is becoming the norm and I can see us dropping more points against spurs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement