Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

greendom wrote: »
    I thought Mourinho was brought in as he could bring results quickly?

He did bring results quickly, we are already far better than Van Gaal's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

greendom wrote: »
    there was a belief that he would do it this season. If you look back to the poll at the start of the season it was won by Man Utd.

It seems there has been a bit of an expectation reset.

I think the vast majority of people who think a manager has a magic wand were probably opposition fans. The was a hope, but a belief? Not from the greater part of the United fan base I would suggest.

That, or an internet forum poll may not always be the best indicator of what a group actually feels?

I haven't met any United fan who thought realistically Jose would be able to turn this team into champions in year one without the rest of the contenders having under par seasons, most expect City to win the league.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

bangkok wrote: »
    if it wasnt for a stupid challenge from fellaini we would have won the game 1-0.

united were under pressure for far too long in that half. finger could also be pointed at the CBs for not pushing up and not killing the game off. we had 2 shots on target yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

magnumbud wrote: »
    united were under pressure for far too long in that half. finger could also be pointed at the CBs for not pushing up and not killing the game off. we had 2 shots on target yesterday

when you are under pressure the last thing you do is let the centre backs push up. a bit more controlled passing in midfield from mata or blind would have been a much better than bringing on fellaini who gave away the peno and lost the ball on more than one occassion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

a bit more controlled passing in midfield from mata or blind

Or from your mate Carrick, who as the senior player in a pivotal position should have taken responsibility for the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He did bring results quickly, we are already far better than Van Gaal's football.

What about actual football results? Utd's worst start in ages is it not? Why are ye all so fascinated about style of football now as opposed to winning games? That's rhetorical btw before people start going on about LVG.

You's can play down expectation now in hindsight all ye like but be honest you expected far far better this season than what you're getting, In the summer when Mhkitaryan and Pogba and Ibra and Bailly were signed with the added cherry on top of Mourinho you guys were figuratively lighting cigars and thinking yous were back in business, mocking Liverpool for spending 30m on Mane while you got Mkhitaryan etc etc, now all of a sudden you apparently needed a miracle worker to do anything this season, come on, gimme a break!

Or from your mate Carrick, who as the senior player in a pivotal position should have taken responsibility for the situation.

yes who passed it to fellaini who it turn smashed it into the crowd

#welldonefellaini

What about actual football results? Utd's worst start in ages is it not? Why are ye all so fascinated about style of football now as opposed to winning games? That's rhetorical btw before people start going on about LVG.

You's can play down expectation now in hindsight all ye like but be honest you expected far far better this season than what you're getting, In the summer when Mhkitaryan and Pogba and Ibra and Bailly were signed with the added cherry on top of Mourinho you guys were figuratively lighting cigars and thinking yous were back in business, mocking Liverpool for spending 30m on Mane while you got Mkhitaryan etc etc, now all of a sudden you apparently needed a miracle worker to do anything this season, come on, gimme a break!

ha ha I love the big chip on your shoulder, you make me laugh when I see your posts in here, even though you trying for a much different reaction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You are raving at this stage.

we expected to be 5 or 6 points better off but given how some results have gone against us it's not that big of an issue right now at the start of December with 24 games left to play.

I would say the vast vast majority expected a top 4 finish this season as a bare minimum, would I be correct in that or is that another outlandish statement?

• Advertisement

I would say the vast vast majority expected a top 4 finish this season as a bare minimum, would I be correct in that or is that another outlandish statement?

without doubt, i thought after we signed pogba we would be challenging for the title

Yes, what's your point.

I still expect that.

ha ha I love the big chip on your shoulder, you make me laugh when I see your posts in here, even though you trying for a much different reaction :D

I was just browsing a previous thread to get a flavour of how Utd fans were feeling pre season and to confirm I was not imagining the fact that yous expected far far better this season I came across this doozie by you which like my posts to you this gave me a giggle.........

In fairness Liverpool will struggle for a europa cup spot klopp has done worse then rodgers in the league could be a long season for them next year...

United have a proven winner with Premier League form in Jose so they will easily make top 4..

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes, what's your point.

I still expect that.

Just the point that some folk are shifting the goalposts as far as their expectations for this season go, that's all.

I was just browsing a previous thread to get a flavour of how Utd fans were feeling pre season and to confirm I was not imagining the fact that yous expected far far better this season I came across this doozie by you which like my posts to you this gave me a giggle.........

In fairness Liverpool will struggle for a europa cup spot klopp has done worse then rodgers in the league could be a long season for them next year...

United have a proven winner with Premier League form in Jose so they will easily make top 4..

Just the point that some folk are shifting the goalposts as far as their expectations for this season go, that's all.

Interesting to know who you think they are in here? I haven't read much that can back this claim up.

MickJaugers point is still valid. It's like people forget the season ends in April 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dunno if posted but the hierarchy at PSG are pissed off with Di Maria and his poor attitude, maybe it wasn't all LVG's fault after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

zerks wrote: »
    Dunno if posted but the hierarchy at PSG are pissed off with Di Maria and his poor attitude, maybe it wasn't all LVG's fault after all.

It most certainly wasn't all his fault alright.

I got it wrong with Falcao, I thought he'd be amazing... what I did do with Di Maria and Pogba now is embrace it and fool myself to thinking that they'll be superstars for us. I even gave my dog the second name di maria at the time.

Trust your instinct :-/ The guy was very flimsy.

ha excellent your going through my posting history, ok you got me I may have called something wrong on the internet please dont turn me into the police :pac:

And as Mick said above the season hasnt ended yet a point you seem to be missing.

wonder what will come out about depay and his attitude when he leaves or will anything come out at all?

when you are under pressure the last thing you do is let the centre backs push up. a bit more controlled passing in midfield from mata or blind would have been a much better than bringing on fellaini who gave away the peno and lost the ball on more than one occassion

So your issue is with Mourinho then.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

ha excellent your going through my posting history, ok you got me I may have called something wrong on the internet please dont turn me into the police :pac:

And as Mick said above the season hasnt ended yet a point you seem to be missing.

Honestly I didn't go through your history, I genuinely stumbled across this reading a previous thread, just coincidental really that you happened to have a little jab at me! A happy coincidence tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I fully expected a top four finish this season, so what?

Thats what I expected, does that mean I have to ignore the reality of what is happening in front of me and stick to that expectation, ignoring all context and slating all and sundry because they didn't meet my expectation?

Surely the rational thing is to take the new evidence presented to me since then and re-evaluate my position accordingly? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lads why do ye even bother with yer man.

His MO is abundantly clear.

He's just a more active version of Oranage2.

Ignore him and I guarantee he will get bored soon enough.

Lads why do ye even bother with yer man.

His MO is abundantly clear.

He's just a more active version of Oranage2.

Ignore him and I guarantee he will get bored soon enough.

I'm not sure what the problem is tbh, I've not posted anything abusive or inflammatory. It's like because it's a Liverpool fan posting it then it must be trolling or something but I'm sure there are United fans who have posted much worse about the current crop and manager and results in general this season than I have.

Honestly I didn't go through your history, I genuinely stumbled across this reading a previous thread, just coincidental really that you happened to have a little jab at me! A happy coincidence tbh.

Sure ;) I was having a jab at you at all buddy just saying I know what your at and you make me laugh now I'll leave it there as I'm derailing hit me on PM if you want to chit chat

I'm not sure what the problem is tbh, I've not posted anything abusive or inflammatory. It's like because it's a Liverpool fan posting it then it must be trolling or something but I'm sure there are United fans who have posted much worse about the current crop and manager and results in general this season than I have.

Probably cause everytime you post its basically a repetition of what you have posted before. The term used in internetsville is "soapboxing"

Take a look at SlickRic's posts, compare them with your own and see if you can work out the difference between you two Liverpool fans, one of which has always got an insight to offer and an opinion worth considering, one of which......doesn't. I used to get a laugh from your posts, God loves a tryer and all that but its just stale at this point. You need to try mix it up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nalz wrote: »
    It most certainly wasn't all his fault alright.

I got it wrong with Falcao, I thought he'd be amazing... what I did do with Di Maria and Pogba now is embrace it and fool myself to thinking that they'll be superstars for us. I even gave my dog the second name di maria at the time.

Trust your instinct :-/ The guy was very flimsy.

I got his name on a shirt.:(

Falcao seems to be getting his mojo back. We got him at the wrong time,he rushed back from a serious injury and wasn't right plus he played in a team that put passes ahead of shots in order of priority. Imagine Falcao in our current team that creates loads of chances.

I got his name on a shirt.:(

Falcao seems to be getting his mojo back. We got him at the wrong time,he rushed back from a serious injury and wasn't right plus he played in a team that put passes ahead of shots in order of priority. Imagine Falcao in our current team that creates loads of chances.

i dont think he was suited to the league at all. he did nothing at chelsea either

Yes, what's your point.

I still expect that.

you still expect to finish in top 4 now even though we are 9 points off that at the moment? i mean i know its only december but i cant see us at this point getting 10 more points than city or pool in the remaining games and thats what it requires now. like that could be more by sunday evening we have a long trip to ukraine on thursday where we will likely play as close to the first team as possible and then spurs on sunday and going by our record after midweek games this season thats not gonna go well especially cause spurs are a very good team with an in form striker.

He was getting outpaced by slow defenders, the legs just looked gone. Rushing back from injury ended his top level career unfortunately it seems

There are a number of LFC fans who have posted in here over the years and give a balanced opinion, sometimes critical, sometimes praising, sometimes in between.

Then there are a number of LFC fans that only post in here when things are running badly for United, yourself most notably over the last few weeks. A few others since the start of the season.

You know and I know what the difference is between the two groups of contributors.

You can plead innocence and feign outrage all you like but you aren't fooling anyone.

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »
    you still expect to finish in top 4 now even though we are 9 points off that at the moment? i mean i know its only december but i cant see us at this point getting 10 more points than city or pool in the remaining games and thats what it requires now. like that could be more by sunday evening we have a long trip to ukraine on thursday where we will likely play as close to the first team as possible and then spurs on sunday and going by our record after midweek games this season thats not gonna go well especially cause spurs are a very good team with an in form striker.

That's what I still expect Jose to deliver yes
    I also still expect him to challenge for the title
    If not then as a fan that's a disappointing season in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

F.A Cup 3rd Round draw being made at 7pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus I remember when that draw was such a big deal. Sadly not for bigger teams. Pity, but we be going in as holders which is great.

That's what I still expect Jose to deliver yes
    I also still expect him to challenge for the title
    If not then as a fan that's a disappointing season in my eyes

i don't expect us to claw back that many points at this point which is probably why im so downheartened already about this season. if it was last season i could have seen it (as in the teams above us not the manager or form or anything else) but i think the teams above are in too good form and scoring free flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Would ye play Pobga, Rooney or Mata at number 10 lads? I realise Pogba cost a lot but with Rooney back in form and Mata being generally quite consistent maybe a spell on the bench for Pogba might give ye a bit more cohesion up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

domrush wrote: »
    Would ye play Pobga, Rooney or Mata at number 10 lads? I realise Pogba cost a lot but with Rooney back in form and Mata being generally quite consistent maybe a spell on the bench for Pogba might give ye a bit more cohesion up front?

Rooney or Mata. Don't see Pogba as a 10 at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

Jesus I remember when that draw was such a big deal. Sadly not for bigger teams. Pity, but we be going in as holders which is great.

Well looks like we are a cup side , roll on the draw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There are a number of LFC fans who have posted in here over the years and give a balanced opinion, sometimes critical, sometimes praising, sometimes in between.

Then there are a number of LFC fans that only post in here when things are running badly for United, yourself most notably over the last few weeks. A few others since the start of the season.

You know and I know what the difference is between the two groups of contributors.

You can plead innocence and feign outrage all you like but you aren't fooling anyone.

Bingo. Where was he last season?

fa have charged both Man City and Chelsea with failure to control their players... Fellaini is being investigated for failure to control a football... classic paddy power

fa have charged both Man City and Chelsea with failure to control their players... Fellaini is being investigated for failure to control a football... classic shítpost

Yeah but Control isn't even the best documentary on Ian Curtis/Joy Division, so there's no way Fellaini could have known that the fans had Tevez on speed-dial for a pizza run.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Well looks like we are a cup side , roll on the draw :)

:pac:

We aren't even that convincing as a cup team atm.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

fa have charged both Man City and Chelsea with failure to control their players... Fellaini is being investigated for failure to control a football... classic paddy power

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

We are ball no. 25 for the FA cup draw on at 7pm on the beeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

All of this would be Mourinho's fault if we hadn't already been sh1t for the previous three years.

Four months in the job, United are definitely playing a more attacking style of football but have some big problems.

Some problems existed pre-Mourinho and others (pogba and ibra not living up to star status) have developed this year.

Mourinho isn't going to get everything wrong or right, reserve judgement until into his second season I'd say.

Like others I thought we'd get top four this year but rivals have improved and United are still an unbalanced squad that needs sorting after three different managers over recent years.

Some people here say the 'unbalanced' argument is trotted out without foundation but we have too many 10s, no real winger, the only once-decent CMs we have are too old to play consistently (Carrick, Schweinsteiger) and we have a former winger filling in at RB..... oh and we were just an injury away from Bailly to having to resort to playing Rojo.

I think Mourinho will sort it but it's going to take time and probably another season of no Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Of the two mentioned above I think Ibra has probably done better than I expected.
    Pogba for sure has been a disappointment so far. Flashes of brilliance here and there but annonymous too often. It's hard to understand. When you see him yesterday, on one or two occasions receive the ball with his back to the opposition goal and shrug off a couple of opposition players and carry the ball forward you just wonder why he doesn't do it more often.
    I've said it before but he looks to have all the tools to be the complete midfielder. I'd like to see him start deeper and have responsibility forced onto him. Would love to see him dictate games. I'm positive he has all the abilities to do so, maybe not the application or discipline at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Seems Bailly is back to play, will he get a run Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hococop wrote: »

Hopefully 30 mins to ease him back in gently.

FA cup draw starting on BBC2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Andy Cole looking a lot better than he had been

Hococop wrote: »

He was on the bench yesterday so he should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

adox wrote: »
    Of the two mentioned above I think Ibra has probably done better than I expected.
    Pogba for sure has been a disappointment so far. Flashes of brilliance here and there but annonymous too often. It's hard to understand. When you see him yesterday, on one or two occasions receive the ball with his back to the opposition goal and shrug off a couple of opposition players and carry the ball forward you just wonder why he doesn't do it more often.
    I've said it before but he looks to have all the tools to be the complete midfielder. I'd like to see him start deeper and have responsibility forced onto him. Would love to see him dictate games. I'm positive he has all the abilities to do so, maybe not the application or discipline at the moment.

Ibra hasn't been all bad, far from it but yesterday I thought his passing was off and he was poor holding the ball up. Nice finish for goal but that's not enough for a supposed star man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement