Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's really really good and I think he'd make the step up no problem. He is 29 though and is turning 30 in March so wouldn't want to be paying too much for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jayop wrote: »
    He's really really good and I think he'd make the step up no problem. He is 29 though and is turning 30 in March so wouldn't want to be paying too much for him.

You'd have to imagine it would be a bad sign for Martial too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That's the problem. He only signed a new 5 year contract earlier this year. We would defo have to pay over the odds for him

I wouldn't bother so.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You'd have to imagine it would be a bad sign for Martial too....

I don't think so.. think Mata would be more at risk of losing his spot, Payet plays more on the right and drifts in and is probably more of a no10. Martial is best drifting in from the left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    An in house replacement for Carrick perhaps? Instead of the club splashing out.

It's impossible to tell if he will mature into that type of midfielder but if he could play as a deep lying midfielder it would be great. The lad seems to be very highly rated at the club.

The likes of Pereira, TFM, Martial, Rashford could be an incredible future line up for us. Highly unlikely they will all become top players in a few years but exciting nonetheless :)

astradave wrote: »
    I don't think so.. think Mata would be more at risk of losing his spot, Payet plays more on the right and drifts in and is probably more of a no10. Martial is best drifting in from the left

Fifa has me wrong, then. Thought he was more left side based.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Payet is too good for West Ham, he was so good for France in the summer.
    Then West Ham form is poor.
    But then we are suppose to be interested in Griezmann as well...

Jose out, Trump in.

Similarities between Trump and Jose....

Both want to be great again...

Fifa has me wrong, then. Thought he was more left side based.

Spent most of his career as a left winger and played a couple of times this season at the start on the left. Think it was with Marseille that he start playing thru the middle and that's when people start noticing him. Usually sets up with him in the AM role but he heads out right a hell of a lot and drifts in.. bit like the way Jose has Mata playing.. not out hugging the line. He is wasted out there tbh. Great passer of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Payet is the best playmaker in the world IMO, if we got him I'd be buzzing!

RobertKK wrote: »

Whats that you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Payet sets up chances that simply can't be missed

A player we absolutely can't turn down, price depending.

Payet sets up chances that simply can't be missed

A player we absolutely can't turn down, price depending.

The price quoted to Chelsea in the summer, iirc, was well north of £50m. Now, hopefully their poor league position might force their hand, but I'd worry for the price we'd pay, we'd potentially have better options for that type of player...

Payet

Go away out that

Good season last year but we have better for same positions

Greizmann all the way if we are talking bout buying a class player

Whats that you say?

My my mobile connection in Switzerland like multiple posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The price quoted to Chelsea in the summer, iirc, was well north of £50m. Now, hopefully their poor league position might force their hand, but I'd worry for the price we'd pay, we'd potentially have better options for that type of player...

A player who doesn't want to be there is practically worthless to West Ham, could see Woody pulling it off for around 30 million with extra performance add ons if Jose wants him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mata > payet

One season wonder who is 29 years old and lazy as sin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Payet is the best playmaker in the world IMO, if we got him I'd be buzzing!

Err, no. If you'd said best dead ball player but playmaker? He's not in the league of the best in the world.

He's above average. Stood out in the group for France during the Summer but wasn't great when the going got tough.

• Advertisement

3rd time in his four starts.

3lqae52wne2y.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

They're doing it now just to wind up Jose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

3lqae52wne2y.png

YEA.. funny that I don't see many media outlets giving jose praise for knowing when and how to integrate miki into the team.The same outlets that were quick to stir the pot. He's been a breadth of fresh air. I guess Jose know a lot more about his players than many give him Credit for...shock horror.

limnam wrote: »
    They're doing it now just to wind up Jose :pac:

Or he knew exactly how to get the best out of his player and unlike dortmund where he started very badly and it affected him, Jose took his time and slowly transitioned him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ain't it funny how pep was a genius a few weeks ago when he suddenly played yaya and handled him perfectly and yet Jose is still been questioned for leaving out miki even though he looks twice the player he did a few months ago for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ain't it funny how pep was a genius a few weeks ago when he suddenly played yaya and handled him perfectly and yet Jose is still been questioned for leaving out miki even though he looks twice the player he did a few months ago for us.

Did our poor league form force joses hand to play him? He should have played a lot earlier than he has. If we were winning all the games we were drawing would he be even in the team now? Mkhitarayan is world class, IMO should have played a lot more games after the city game to get him up to speed

• Advertisement

That was our first away win in Europe since November 2013

#BreakingRecords.

Here are the teams that we can draw in the Europa, some lovely propositions and some awful banana skins. We would probably be the favourites in any tie there.

- APOEL Nicosia
    - St Etienne
    - Zenit St Petersburg
    - Roma
    - Athletic Bilbao/Genk
    - Ajax
    - Shakhtar Donetsk
    - Schalke
    - Fiorentina
    - Sparta Prague
    - Osmanlispor
    - Lyon
    - Besiktas
    - Copenhagen

bangkok wrote: »
    Did our poor league form force joses hand to play him? He should have played a lot earlier than he has. If we were winning all the games we were drawing would he be even in the team now? Mkhitarayan is world class, IMO should have played a lot more games after the city game to get him up to speed

I don't mean this in a horrible way to have a dig at you but that is your style constantly you claim something that didn't happen would be better if it did happen we can't argue that because it didnt happen.........

but what did happen was miki turned up and didn't play great for his first few games and in between injury and jose leaving him out of the team to get him up to speed and then when he does play he is man of the match in 3 of his 4 games that's a fact not a speculation I'll give Jose credit to that.

I don't mean this in a horrible way to have a dig at you but that is your style constantly you claim something that didn't happen would be better if it did happen we can't argue that because it didnt happen.........

but what did happen was miki turned up and didn't play great for his first few games and in between injury and jose leaving him out of the team to get him up to speed and then when he does play he is man of the match in 3 of his 4 games that's a fact not a speculation I'll give Jose credit to that.

No I just don't think it's much to do with Jose to be honest. He was a world class player when we signed him. Think he got a raw deal after city game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

astradave wrote: »
    Here are the teams that we can draw in the Europa, some lovely propositions and some awful banana skins. We would probably be the favourites in any tie there.

- APOEL Nicosia
    - St Etienne
    - Zenit St Petersburg
    - Roma
    - Athletic Bilbao/Genk
    - Ajax
    - Shakhtar Donetsk
    - Schalke
    - Fiorentina
    - Sparta Prague
    - Osmanlispor
    - Lyon
    - Besiktas
    - Copenhagen

Hope it's not Roma, for the sake of our travelling fans, they're pure scum over there

• Advertisement

No I just don't think it's much to do with Jose to be honest. He was a world class player when we signed him. Think he got a raw deal after city game.

No one is crediting jose for making him into a world class player he was not up to speed for the team he looked sluggish you can't say there was any comparison to him playing the first few games to what he is like now.

The slternayive was to keep playing him and have fans and media using him as a scapegoat for results what kinda player would we see now.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hope it's not Roma, for the sake of our travelling fans, they're pure scum over there

They survived feyanoord and Turkey and Ukraine does it get any worse?

No one is crediting jose for making him into a world class player he was not up to speed for the team he looked sluggish you can't say there was any comparison to him playing the first few games to what he is like now.

The slternayive was to keep playing him and have fans and media using him as a scapegoat for results what kinda player would we see now.

But he played feck all, 45min against City and when did he next start a game?!

That why.I don't think it's down to Jose much in the same with its not Jose fault that Rashford or martial are not playing as well this year

They survived feyanoord and Turkey and Ukraine does it get any worse?

Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trip to Denmark or one of the French teams be nice, Ajax also, not too much travelling. I assume we will get Zenit or a feckin Turkish team of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

But he played feck all, 45min against City and when did he next start a game?!

That why.I don't think it's down to Jose much in the same with its not Jose fault that Rashford or martial are not playing as well this year

He has come out himself and said the problem was him, not Mourinho.

He started slow for Dortmund also, took a while to find his feet so this is not new territory for him.

Jose said he needed to integrate and bring him along slowly, he did that. It looks to have worked, its ok to give him credit for his handling of it and leave it at that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just a theory and I'm just asking but does anybody think that Zlatan is actually holding us back?

I know he is scoring goals, but it seems to me that everything needs to go through him and it leaves us very 1 dimensional. When he is off it seems we have no plan b.

Where are the overlaps, midfielders breaking late into the box, crosses whipped in early.

I know we can point to instanes of each of them happening, but not too frequently. I would argue that he is at the core of qhy we are struggling in front of goal.

Liverpool

Don't mention that name around here you will draw them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just a theory and I'm just asking but does anybody think that Zlatan is actually holding us back?

I know he is scoring goals, but it seems to me that everything needs to go through him and it leaves us very 1 dimensional. When he is off it seems we have no plan b.

Where are the overlaps, midfielders breaking late into the box, crosses whipped in early.

I know we can point to instanes of each of them happening, but not too frequently. I would argue that he is at the core of qhy we are struggling in front of goal.

Alternatively you could say that United have put in an ungodly amount of shít crosses over the last 5 or so years and with him on there's more of a chance of turning one of them into a goal.

As an aside it is something Rojo was always criticised for last season but some of his crosses were head up into dangerous positions, there was just nobody in there who was a threat. The opposite to Valencia's head down drills or light chips over everyone. I really think he's held back the attack this season with his lack of flair. Not mixing it up and doing the same thing everytime is cancer for a player who sees so much of the ball in good attacking areas.

His hold up play and getting involved in the overall attack is very important to how we play, he is of course a big part of why we have missed many chances, due to him missing them but his overall contribution to the team has been better then expected (by me) so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just saw that Ibrahimovic's next game will be his 700th appearance at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Anyone do a match beers in dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That's fair enough but the player has admitted that it's his own fault he wasn't being picked.

We don't know the details but what we do know is that he wasn't doing enough to be selected after that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Leroy42 wrote:

Is that you Moyesy? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

His hold up play and getting involved in the overall attack is very important to how we play, he is of course a big part of why we have missed many chances, due to him missing them but his overall contribution to the team has been better then expected (by me) so far.

I am not saying that he isn't involved, in fact I am saying the exact opposite.

It seems, IMO, that everything goes through him. We totally rely on him for our attack. Now, of course, he is our CF so hardly surprising that the vast majority of attacks have him involved, its just that I think it is making us 1 dimensional.

I am trying to work out why our attack is not firing. We have the players, but they are not delivering. Zlatan has scored goals, and been involved, but it seems that it has had a negative effect on all the others in the attack. Rashford, Martial, Rooney. Now, Martial has been poor since before Zlatan turned up so that more to do with him, but Rashford certainly seems to be delivering a lot less. Not just in terms of goals, he was always going to struggle to maintain close to last years level, but we seem to have completely blunted him.

I'm not going to restart any discussion on Rooney:cool:

The last few weeks Rooney has been very good and Martial was great in the cup last week. I hardly think zlatan can be blamed for players not delivering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyone do a match beers in dublin?

I'd certainly be interested anyway though given my location, it would have to be a late Saturday kick off game.

I am not saying that he isn't involved, in fact I am saying the exact opposite.

It seems, IMO, that everything goes through him. We totally rely on him for our attack. Now, of course, he is our CF so hardly surprising that the vast majority of attacks have him involved, its just that I think it is making us 1 dimensional.

I am trying to work out why our attack is not firing. We have the players, but they are not delivering. Zlatan has scored goals, and been involved, but it seems that it has had a negative effect on all the others in the attack. Rashford, Martial, Rooney. Now, Martial has been poor since before Zlatan turned up so that more to do with him, but Rashford certainly seems to be delivering a lot less. Not just in terms of goals, he was always going to struggle to maintain close to last years level, but we seem to have completely blunted him.

I'm not going to restart any discussion on Rooney:cool:

Our attack is the opposite, its firing, firing more than it has been in the last 3 years. The simple problem is the finishing. 2 games of which goalkeepers gave the performance of their lives.

Non issue in my mind, getting into goal scoring positions is significantly harder, if we were not creating I'd be worried.

The goals will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think Zlatan is currently our best option up front, and that neither Rashford nor Martial are ready to play up front for any extended period of time. Drop Zlatan for any of them and we score less, not more.

But I do also think that his lack of pace and mobility limits us in many ways, for all the good he brings to certain attacks there are just as many faltering due to him either losing the ball or simply not making certain runs.

I also think he is being massively overplayed and will fade as the season goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zlatan staying as far forward as possible with the pace of Martial, Rashford around him makes us more threatening. Rooney playing deep and going missing leads to Zlatan dropping deep to get some service and is less effective. Micky coming into his own now should solve that problem as he has pace and creativity and doesn't need 4 touches to control a ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement