Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Strange of Pep to park the bus at 2-0 down

He "ain't no coach for tackles"

Right time for some blind optimism our 22 league game winning run starts today with A josesque 2-0 win.

1 down 21 to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Four 1-1's in a row coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strange of Pep to park the bus at 2-0 down

LVG like this approach, at least he won the passing. If Jose did similar, he'd be crucified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Zaha is enjoying a good run of form with Palace. His goal yesterday was fantastic.

Since Sept 28th:

Mourinho : P15 W7 D6 L2

Guardiola : P15 W4 D6 L5

Spot the genius and spot the man living in the past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Since Sept 28th:

Wow, I knew Pep was having a shakey start. Even ignoring how we're doing (to be frank, I don't believe we, as United fans, are in any position to taunt other fans), thats rough for a man many thought would walk the league....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Since Sept 28th:

Why haven't you included from the start of the season? Surely that would be a better stat to show seen as both managrs are in their first seasons with new clubs?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wow, I knew Pep was having a shakey start. Even ignoring how we're doing (to be frank, I don't believe we, as United fans, are in any position to taunt other fans), thats rough for a man many thought would walk the league....

It actually wasn't a taunt I think both teams and managers have massively underachieved it was more to point out how different the response has been to jose compared to pep in not only how he has handled players but also how results have been reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Come on utd

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Why haven't you included from the start of the season? Surely that would be a better stat to show seen as both managrs are in their first seasons with new clubs?

Because as I said both managers have underachieved it's obvious jose has aswell and the team has but it's purely as a comparison to how both managers have been wrote and talked about in the past 2 or 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Since Sept 28th:

Wow I wouldn't believe those stats if I found them randomly online. That is mad.

The league positions of both clubs can't be ignored and does contribute to the narrative(and rightly so) but even accounting for that the coverage of both managers has been completely imbalanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone know of a good 5/1-8/1 shout today on the united game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In NYC with Mrs RM.

Gonna miss the damn game as we are doing a Harlem gospal tour which starts at 09:30.

Raging.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    In NYC with Mrs RM.

Gonna miss the damn game as we are doing a Harlem gospal tour which starts at 09:30.

Raging.

Between your new name and your activities at 9:30 I burst out laughing at your post haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good 5/1-8/1 shout today on the united game?

Either Micky to score first or 2-1 to United. I might do both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At the beginning Pep looked like he had the control of Van Gaal with the penetration we were missing, now it just looks like Van Gaal's team with a worse defence now the honeymoon is over.

He seems to have píssed off Aguero, probably tried to tell him how to score goals, which could prove fatal.

If they go on and win the league from here I'll be very very impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No team on the thread yet.. jaysus

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/807936746218541056

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Like that team. Worried about Carrick though, but not sure who I'd have beside him. Looks like...
    Carrick
    Herrera-Pogba
    Mkhi
    Martial
    Ibra

• Advertisement

Like that team. Worried about Carrick though, but not sure who I'd have beside him. Looks like...
    Carrick
    Herrera-Pogba
    Mkhi
    Martial
    Ibra

Id say Herrera might stay back to cover the ground that Carrick can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Would it not better to put Blind in instead of Carrick? Blind has great passing and obvious defensive strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Blind is probably worse than Carrick under pressure, fine when he has plenty of space which he won't.

Herrera and Pogba need to put a shift in.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Would it not better to put Blind in instead of Carrick? Blind has great passing and obvious defensive strengths.

Possibly but one thing snout Carrick over Blind is he has the positional sense to play that role. Blinds natural instinct is to venture forward and he does get caught up field because of his lack of pace.

Neither are an ideal choice at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jose bring a player in for that position in January/the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

No Mata :(

I think Utd will win today.

• Advertisement

No Mata :(

Hes Goosed, per the match thread.

He's on the bench though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

A fine impact sub he makes it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Still no idea why United sold Evans. One of the best defenders in the league and great with the ball at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Carrick
    Herrera-Pogba
    Mkhi
    Martial
    Ibra

I'm more worried about Pogba at #10.

Liam O wrote: »
    Still no idea why United sold Evans. One of the best defenders in the league and great with the ball at his feet.

He didn't fit the philosophy because it was a process.

• Advertisement

Carrick
    Herrera-Pogba
    Mkhi
    Martial
    Ibra

I don't get this tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't get this tbh

It's the myth that he doesn't do as well when pressed. Despite the fact you could say that about 100% of players in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Liam O wrote: »

He was constantly injured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

ShaneU wrote: »
    He was constantly injured

And had some absolute howlers in big games. WBA is his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It's hard to justify Martial being in the team ahead of Mata. Martial would be a better option to come off the bench and Mata's ability to retain possession and help us control the game would be more useful than Martial's pace and power from the start.

It's difficult see a scenario where Mata will come on. If we're winning Jose won't be thinking about bringing on a calm head as he'll only think about a defensive minded player. If we're losing Mata is not exactly an impact player. If we're drawing then I don't expect he'll come on ahead of Rooney and I doubt they'll both be introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Get the **** in

Best player on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

get in Micky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

GWAN MICKEY!

Great goal from miki but great pass from Ander too.

Backs to the wall for the next hour to try hold out for a one one draw now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Mata and Mhkitarayan have both been "finished at United" as far as good chunks of this thread were concerned at various points over the last 3 months, people need to relax with the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

bantee wrote: »
    Either Micky to score first or 2-1 to United. I might do both!

There's 1 bet in anyway!

Rojo and Jones as a solid centre half pairing is something i never thought id see.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Rojo and Jones as a solid centre half pairing is something i never thought id see.

They do well but they lack leadership when the pressure is on i think Jones and Bailey is a better partnership long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's hard to justify Martial being in the team ahead of Mata. Martial would be a better option to come off the bench and Mata's ability to retain possession and help us control the game would be more useful than Martial's pace and power from the start.

It's difficult see a scenario where Mata will come on. If we're winning Jose won't be thinking about bringing on a calm head as he'll only think about a defensive minded player. If we're losing Mata is not exactly an impact player. If we're drawing then I don't expect he'll come on ahead of Rooney and I doubt they'll both be introduced.

Was thinking about this earlier. Great first team but poor squad. I think a lot of the poor conversion rate is that Utd have no impact player. So no late goals and the odd one conceded means draws a-plenty. I mean Ibrahimovic is doing well but you can't rely on him to score 2 a game.

You may see it today where the Utd threat drops off after an hour. That's where you need a pure handful of a striker to stick on.

It's obviously not Jose's fault but I think soon enough Woodward or someone needs to be asked about transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The much maligned Michael Carrick playing well also. Pogba & Martial not quite at it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Please God don't sit back in second half!!

Have great chance of turning a corner here today would be massive result if can win here been better team as well.

Please God don't sit back in second half!!

Have great chance of turning a corner here today would be massive result if can win here been better team as well.

Prepare yourself for dissappointment. Its almost guaranteed these days that we'll start to nervously sit back until they score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

gosplan wrote: »
    Was thinking about this earlier. Great first team but poor squad. I think a lot of the poor conversion rate is that Utd have no impact player. So no late goals and the odd one conceded means draws a-plenty. I mean Ibrahimovic is doing well but you can't rely on him to score 2 a game.

You may see it today where the Utd threat drops off after an hour. That's where you need a pure handful of a striker to stick on.

It's obviously not Jose's fault but I think soon enough Woodward or someone needs to be asked about transfer policy.

The problem with the striker situation is that Rashford is there and all the talk in the summer was about Mourinho not trusting youth and stifling players like him. Had he brought in Ibra and another he'd have been heavily criticised. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

gosplan wrote: »

The problem with the striker situation is that Rashford is there and all the talk in the summer was about Mourinho not trusting youth and stifling players like him. Had he brought in Ibra and another he'd have been heavily criticised. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

But he hasn't done either. Ibra plays almost every minute. I wouldn't say playing Rashford as a workhorse wideman is a huge sign of trust.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement