Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Imagine we won 3 premier league games in a row! Wonder when that happened last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Jayop wrote: »
    Why not? We go on any kind of a decent run and we pull them back in. The teams above us look vulnerable with the exception of Chelsea.

We didn't finish ahead of them last season and I don't recall us being as far behind them at any point then as we are now. Tonight's result aside, they're looking pretty good this year too to be fair to them. Still, anything can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Imagine we won 3 premier league games in a row! Wonder when that happened last.

Start of season??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We didn't finish ahead of them last season and I don't recall us being as far behind them at any point then as we are now. Tonight's result aside, they're looking pretty good this year too to be fair to them. Still, anything can happen.

We weren't playing anything like the football last year we are now. Last year we didn't look capable of winning games back to back whereas now we very much look on the verge of a good run.

The same thing has been said about arsenal every year but they ALWAYS fall apart they have no leaders.

If we had of had any form of will to win last year we would of finished alot closer to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think we've turned a corner yet, every time things go well we seem to be brought back to reality very quickly.

6 points would have us very close to the teams above us this time next week with the other fixtures going on, can see us dropping at least 2 though.

I don't think we've turned a corner yet, every time things go well we seem to be brought back to reality very quickly.

6 points would have us very close to the teams above us this time next week with the other fixtures going on, can see us dropping at least 2 though.

Next two games will do a lot for the team if we win confidence will be sky high and draws will be the end of it. I think Chelsea are out of reach but the rest look shaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

jayo26 wrote: »
    Start of season??

Did we? Don't remember that at all...

R/soccer is class for game clips. The user comment section is okay but filled with memes at the top and horrendous idiots at the bottom.

Used to love the F365 forum until I got banned.

In fairness, the post-match thread for Leicester v City last weekend was an all-time great with the memes. The user comments can be great for that sort of stuff, but the general circlejerking that goes on can be tiring and some of the common thinking of the r/soccer userbase can be way off on actual football matters.

I just read, don't post there, same with most of the places I visit like r/reddevils and Redcafe. All of these places have their uses to me, but have yet to replace the void left by this...

3UaG13I.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Did we? Don't remember that at all...

Yhh first 3 games vs Bournemouth, Southampton and hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

beno619 wrote: »
    How on earth do you have time to follow two super threads ?

It's not exactly Ulysses is it? I wish there was more posts most of the time, both threads can be slow, but I browse all Superthreads.
    I like potential Underachiever. Comes on here and never seems to be on the wum as far as I can tell.

Finally! Someone who's on my side!

Great result. We need to capitalize tomorrow night

Arsenal play City at the weekend to note, anyone's guess how that goes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

J. Marston wrote: »
    Want Chelsea to keep winning. They're insurance against the nightmare scenario.

If this because you dislike Liverpool so much you wouldn't want them to win the league?

Would you take Utd 4th Liverpool 1st or Utd 5th Liverpool 6th if you had to choose one?

Haha jose said zlatan will score more goals for United then Owen scored in 3 years after owen criticism of zlatan it was pretty tongue in cheek by sounds of it.

If this because you dislike Liverpool so much you wouldn't want them to win the league?

Would you take Utd 4th Liverpool 1st or Utd 5th Liverpool 6th if you had to choose one?

I'd imagine its not a dislike for Liverpool the club it's just a desire to not want to listen to the fans. I thought that would be fairly obvious as the pool fans feel the exact same towards us.

• Advertisement

Very good program about the Bradford city fire in 85 on bt. It was an absolute tragedy it must of been horrific for the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Delighted to see Everton beat arsenal, might de-rail them a bit and city up next I'm hoping for a draw with a few red cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I agree that Shaw needs to improve, but how can he watch that Darmian performance on Sunday or Valencia's positional naivety and inability to put a decent cross in despite finding himself in great positions every game and deduce that it's Shaw that needs to be taken out of the team at times. If anything, Shaw needs more gametime to improve. His flaws are no more game breaking than that of our other two fullbacks, but his potential ceiling is so much higher. Leave him in and take him out only when he needs a rest or if he goes through a terrible run of form.

Before anybody says it, I get that Shaw has had injury problems this year, but he has missed many games due to Jose just not fancying him at times.

I don't think it matters to be honest, I highly doubt we'll finish ahead of Arsenal.

I'm not going to concede to Arsenal just yet. A win tomorrow night will see us move to within 7 points of them, plus they have still to go through their annual Feb/March capitulation. Chelsea are the only team at the moment I'm ruling United out of catching. They are playing the best football in the league right now and their momentum is huge.

That was a big win against Spurs for us, definitely gives us the right to be looking to at least 3rd and 4th in the table as realistic targets for May. It shouldn't be that way though. Our results up until Spurs should have seen the teams above us create daylight between them and us on the table with United not having a hope of getting back into the Top 4 mix. Hasn't happened though and with the way the PL is going where any team can be beaten since the smaller clubs are becoming stronger through the TV money, the big teams are always going to drop unlikely points.

Look at last season, we had absolutely no right to be in with that chance of 4th which we only lost to City in the end on goal difference. Despite our own run of shíte results and failures to capatalise on our rivals dropping silly points themselves, we still ended up almost getting into the Champions League - which would have been gas considering the season of shíte that would have gotten us there. That happened because all the top finishers last season, except Leicester, gave us that chance by not winning the matches that we all thought they would 'on paper'.

Here's the remaining fixtures for the Top 6 teams in December. Potentially a bogie or two in there for most of the teams, plus some of them have to play each other in which case one or both will definitely drop points.

DGeVwzP.png?1

I'm optimistic about the direction United are going in at the moment, but I don't exclude them from the rest when it comes to the possibility of dropping silly points. Still though, while I'm not going to give a number in terms of points I'd be hoping/expecting United to collect in these next four games, it really is a fair enough run of games for us compared to all but Chelsea. A run we should be taking almost maximum advantage of.

• Advertisement

We need to win those 4 to get back in contention for top 4. We simply won't do top 4 if we can't put together a couple of 4/5 game winning streaks between now and May.

I agree that Shaw needs to improve, but how can he watch that Darmian performance on Sunday or Valencia's positional naivety and inability to put a decent cross in despite finding himself in great positions every game and deduce that it's Shaw that needs to be taken out of the team at times. If anything, Shaw needs more gametime to improve. His flaws are no more game breaking than that of our other two fullbacks, but his potential ceiling is so much higher. Leave him in and take him out only when he needs a rest or if he goes through a terrible run of form.

Before anybody says it, I get that Shaw has had injury problems this year, but he has missed many games due to Jose just not fancying him at times.

Take it from another point

Utd not exactly going through the best of patches and Jose did give him couple of chances

He didn't look fully fit on occasions

I think at the very least both Valencia and Damian defensively look more solid currently

I'd hold out until we get into a good run of form then reintroduce Shaw

No point in dumping pressure on him, we all know hrs talented and I'm sure Jose is well aware of this

As he said he's young, loads of time

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Take it from another point

Utd not exactly going through the best of patches and Jose did give him couple of chances

He didn't look fully fit on occasions

I think at the very least both Valencia and Damian defensively look more solid currently

I'd hold out until we get into a good run of form then reintroduce Shaw

No point in dumping pressure on him, we all know hrs talented and I'm sure Jose is well aware of this

As he said he's young, loads of time
    That's just it, I really don't think they look defensively stronger. All three have been average and have made mistakes. As for the best way to deal with him, it could be taking him out of the firing line, or it could be putting faith in him to play himself into form. Both valid suggestions, just depends on the kind of player he is.

It's not exactly Ulysses is it? I wish there was more posts most of the time, both threads can be slow, but I browse all Superthreads.

Finally! Someone who's on my side!

You're my boy PU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't think Jose sees Darmian as better than Shaw, but right now he thinks that Shaw isn't fit and isn't giving him what he wants to see, and so he isn't going to play him until he is. I think he is taking the long term view, similar to his handling of Mikitarian, so Darmian will do for now until Shaw either shapes up or ships out.

BBC (Simon Stone) article saying that senior figures within the club reckon it will take Jose two more transfer windows to get close to the squad he wants. Still a lot of high-earning deadwood to move on, plus some new players to be acquired.

Take with a pinch of salt, but at least it's the Beeb...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38301330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

José got a ban for saying less, I wonder if the FA will be as strict with Wenger?

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/808819554088427521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

zerks wrote: »
    José got a ban for saying less, I wonder if the FA will be as strict with Wenger?

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/808819554088427521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I wouldn't hold my breath.

I haven't heard what arsene said but jose was mostly done for talking about the ref before the game that's a big no no.

A win tomorrow night and we are within 7 points of second and arsenal and city to play each other on Sunday and pool to play Everton on Monday...... 6 points from our next two games and it could be a fun xmass.

DARE TO DREAM

Lawro was on with Matt Cooper and sounded genuinely nervous about United hitting form and turning draws into wins. We have 4 winnable games over Christmas while our rivals above us have some tough games and a couple of them have to play each other.Starting tomorrow against the game raiser Pardew we need to be relentless in getting maximum points.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/808803119987572736

Schneiderlin and Memphis getting nearer the door while Bastian could stay. I think he's with the squad in London for the Palace game.

We're a bit too bullish even with the ifs and buts we're all saying but it's hard not to be. Noone is talking about the title, but getting back in the mixer for top four is possible with a run.

We're a bit too bullish even with the ifs and buts we're all saying but it's hard not to be. Noone is talking about the title, but getting back in the mixer for top four is possible with a run.

Better than last season when we were nervous facing any team,remember we're not arrogant, we are simply better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

How many games last season did we win yet were truly awful? We stole points last season we had no right to.

This season we have had no luck at all. How many games now have we felt really hard done by? Things are changing at the club, the poison football LVG played is gone, players are no longer fearing to express themselves and all that is missing is a higher goals per game return.

Whilst not long term United quality I curse LVG for selling a natural poacher like Chico. He could have been worth many multiples of the £8M even turning 2 of those draws into wins. I even thought to myself the other day 'Did Woodward have the sense to put a buy back clause in?'. He would be a huge boost in January if we got him, although I see his stats are not nearly as impressive this season (5 goals in 13 games compared to 17 in 28 last season). Anyway thats my opinion, I don't claim to have all the answers :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Two wins on the bounce would also leave us a point better of than we were this time last year. At least that's movement in the right direction.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Two wins on the bounce would also leave us a point better of than we were this time last year. At least that's movement in the right direction.

And we were top of the table around this time last year weren't we? The others have really up the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

We were fifth just behind spurs.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    We were fifth just behind spurs.

Why did I think we were top. Of league in December last year or was that the year before

Why did I think we were top. Of league in December last year or was that the year before

It was just before no didnt we lose every game in december last year?

• Advertisement

It was just before no didnt we lose every game in december last year?

Yhh probably did then I knew we topped table at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/808803119987572736

Schneiderlin and Memphis getting nearer the door while Bastian could stay. I think he's with the squad in London for the Palace game.

£50 million spent on them. Wonder how much we'll recoup?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

J. Marston wrote: »
    £50 million spent on them. Wonder how much we'll recoup?

15-16 million each at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Think we were top start of November last year or something like that, all downhill after that though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Think we were top start of November last year or something like that, all downhill after that though!

Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

Jose has come out to say nobody is being sold in January and that everyone will get a chance
    Might quash some of the Depay / Morgan rumours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jose has come out to say nobody is being sold in January and that everyone will get a chance

I'd hate to see Memphis or Morgan sold.

Memphis I believe would benefit from a loan to a PL team.

I'd love to see him going to somewhere like Everton.

Morgan, personally I think he could be a very good player for us, I believe he is a natural replacement for Carrick but Jose doesn't seem to rate him. Although I'd hope he will stay and play his way into the team, one would expect the player himself to push for a move if he doesn't start getting games. He is entering his prime years so naturally wouldn't want to spend them languishing on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Where did ya see that? Sky sports still running that he is willing to sell with a picture of Memphis and Morgan. Probably won't be changed for hours

astradave wrote: »
    Where did ya see that? Sky sports still running that he is willing to sell with a picture of Memphis and Morgan. Probably won't be changed for hours

Offical Man Utd website

Link

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Dec/manchester-united-manager-jose-mourinho-happy-with-his-squad.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So basically it's all the same quotes but the press just decided that they would run that he is willing to sell even though he said he wants to keep the squad together.

Press is a joke these days anyways so wouldn't expect anything else

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Of course he says no one is for sale. Basic negotiations is we shouldn't be making it obvious we want rid of players.

Given neither Memphis or Morgan can make the bench, I think they will be gone asap, regardless of what Jose says publically.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement