Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

crkball6 wrote: »
    Martin and Roy would be with them too! ;)

Delaney buying the pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Delaney buying the pints

Signing rebel songs

Those photos are unfortunate for Rooney but that's it, the papers trying to use it as a knife to stick him with are gutter lining. Can't help but wonder though what a web series would be like which follows a pissed Wayne Rooney around as he crashes weddings at 2AM in the England gear.

Delaney buying the pints

Delaney drinking at least half of what he shoddily pours, getting paid more than the combined earnings of his Spanish and Italian counterparts, making sure no one else has a hope of pulling a pint no matter how well they can do it, for as long as he wishes, all the while with the pub falling down around him.

But sure he's great on the lash...so there's that.

Edit for thread relevance - Wonder if he and Rooney ever went on a Brian Cowen together. Delaney would be a shoe-in for a cameo in the Wedding Crasher's sequel with Rooney. Maybe a similar role for Delaney in it as Will Ferrell's in the first movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

jayo26 wrote: »
    Signing rebel songs

Why? Is one of them deaf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Discodog wrote: »

The world really is a precious place when someone has to apologise for getting drunk on a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

nicklauski wrote: »
    Why? Is one of them deaf :pac:

Haha fml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

J. Marston wrote: »
    The world really is a precious place when someone has to apologise for getting drunk on a Saturday night.

I would like to apologise as well for getting drunk on Saturday night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

One hilarious think sky are saying is that Mourinho isn't annoyed that Rooney got pissed but that it was in the present of FA reps and management.

Is Rooney 14 and having a sleepover where the parents let them have a drink?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »

complete joke, shouldnt have to apologise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ultimately, that statement reads like "Rooney's sponsors weren't happy with the pictures, so we'll apologise". If you're paying him massive quantities of cash to be the face of your company, the last thing you want are pictures like those coming out. Not, I stress, him getting drunk, but being pictured and getting negative press for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I honestly couldn't care less about Rooney going out on the lash. I've criticised him over his play for the last few years but this is a joke. He's being hung out to dry over nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having a pint after a game.

Well I never..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

astradave wrote: »
    Elbow :pac: we need to get Fellaini to show Dier what a real elbow is

https://streamable.com/24h0

All the same, Herrera is going to keep giving the referee decisions to make if he keeps flying in like that when he doesn't need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Well I never..

The mental thing is that it says in most of the reports that a load of the players went out in London and himself and Jageilka decided to stay in the hotel instead.. where are the reports on the players partying in London or why isn't Jageilka getting reported on.. it's a nothing story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sand wrote: »
    All the same, Herrera is going to keep giving the referee decisions to make if he keeps flying in like that when he doesn't need to.

The referee didn't even call a free in this instance.. there was nothing in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The referee didn't even call a free in this instance.. there was nothing in it

Agreed, but against Burnley, Herrera raced in, slipped and picked up his second yellow. Dier went down like he had been poleaxed - making a meal of it, but on another day the ref would be buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The mental thing is that it says in most of the reports that a load of the players went out in London and himself and Jageilka decided to stay in the hotel instead.. where are the reports on the players partying in London or why isn't Jageilka getting reported on.. it's a nothing story

One of the articles had a quote along the lines of "he clearly wanted to be seen as he proudly wore his England shirt in the lobby, he wanted the attention." This was written directly below a picture of Rooney & Jagielka both posing with a fan, both wearing the same England top. This whole thing should be treated as an embarrassment for the English media who can't just be happy at hammering Scotland.

Because jageilka is **** :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It shows how far we've fallen when we are worried about strengthening fcuking Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

TheTownie wrote: »
    Well since you asked, here are the alleged drunken pictures. Not sure whats going on with his lips, maybe some weird camera exposure. The close up shot may have just caught him as he was blinking. You'd think if someone was trying to expose him they'd at least take one photo of a drink in his hand... unless he was having sneaky naggins in a cubicle! :pac: The rags say he was necking red wine.

image-rooney-watermark.jpg?w=652&strip=all

nintchdbpict000282524372.jpg?w=960&strip=all

He looks off his tits here in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Am I on my own in feeling a professional athlete shouldn't be getting scuttered drunk during the season? Don't get me wrong the papers in question are rags but they beat Scotland not Brazil, if he wanted back into the team enough he wouldn't be buckled a week before we play Arsenal in a six pointer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

bangkok wrote: »
    Because jageilka is **** :)

David Moyes wouldn't stand for that.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Am I on my own in feeling a professional athlete shouldn't be getting scuttered drunk during the season? Don't get me wrong the papers in question are rags but they beat Scotland not Brazil, if he wanted back into the team enough he wouldn't be buckled a week before we play Arsenal in a six pointer.

What ever about doing it "behind closed doors" but in the public eye, its naive at best, outrageously stupid at worst.

We live in the world of social media where what you do is instantly transmittable across the world.

The British press has proven to be a wretched hide of scum and villainy on numerous occasions so why put yourself in a position to be placed in the gallows?

If he was banging in goals week in week out there wouldn't be much of a kerfuffle at all and IMO it would be painted as him blowing off steam after his "heroics" but given his lacklustre performances (by and large) over the last couple of seasons, given he is England and United captain and in a position of influence, it was incredibly Ill thought out by him.

They were given the night off to do as they pleased, would have been approved by the clubs as well, I think there is just a big deal about it as pictures emerged of Rooney and also the fact he was out with members of the FA.

He was training away fine on Tuesday, I wouldn't be worried about it. Good for the players to have a few drinks and enjoy themselves every once in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Sand wrote: »
    Agreed, but against Burnley, Herrera raced in, slipped and picked up his second yellow. Dier went down like he had been poleaxed - making a meal of it, but on another day the ref would be buying it.

What do you want him to do, stroll up casually and ask for the ball?

He slipped FFS. He wasn't at fault here, the ref made a woeful decision

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm reluctant to say similar, as I know it will be jumped on as "looking for an excuse" tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Dont see anything wrong with it tbh in general but he did look out of his mind in those pictures. if it was night before a match yea of course its a problem but rooney and the FA officials that were supposedly with him was foolish to be allowed to be photographed.

But the papers are always going to make more of this for high profile players and especially rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well I never..
    Yea, because it was just the one pint :pac:

Rooney is under intense scrutiny for some poor performances, and he responds by going off and getting rat-arsed. To me, that kind of says that his head has gone and he's given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

It's bad enough he's captain of our club, but he's also captain of England. In a time when he is clearly in decline and should be fighting tooth and nail for a place he goes out and gets ****-faced. How can anyone defend him? It wouldn't deserve a second thought but Rooney has been terrible for three years now....you would think the fact that him finally getting dropped would maybe shake some sense into him. Sadly it doesn't and Wayne just does whatever he wants anyway.

Here is a man who clearly hasn't looked after his body as well as he should. I personally think it's poor lifestyle choices like this are what has seen him going into a state of decline so young. Wayne would want to cop himself on.

To put things in perspective regarding Rooney, he was drunk one week before a game, on a night the players were allowed to go and drink what they wanted.......

At Euro 2016 Ireland players were drinking until 5am, after the Italy game, 4 days before they played France in the knockout phase. I don't remember too many giving out about that at the time and Ireland gave a fantastic performance against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Even if you ignore what he is "allowed" to do, its simply a fact that any athlete who wants to reach and maintain his greatest potential does not drink in that fashion. If they still have the drive to be at the top level they will be watching their diet, doing their yoga, training smart and definitely not out binge drinking mid season.

But this was always the case with Rooney, he works hard I'm sure but its well known that he never worked as hard as he possibly could have. At his age and in his form if he wanted to prolong his career he would be well served acting differently, but hey, if he wants to enjoy his chips and pints then thats fine, there's always the MLS.

To put things in perspective regarding Rooney, he was drunk one week before a game, on a night the players were allowed to go and drink what they wanted.......

At Euro 2016 Ireland players were drinking until 5am, after the Italy game, 4 days before they played France in the knockout phase. I don't remember too many giving out about that at the time and Ireland gave a fantastic performance against France.

Did he have permission off United to drink?

I think it's a joke that a club who pays the likes of Rooney £300k a week can have no say in such a thing. He is supposed to be linked up with his country and preparing for upcoming fixtures and not out on the razz when the club releases him on "international duty".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To put things in perspective regarding Rooney,

To put things in perspective regarding Rooney I bet you'll never see Ronaldo ****faced in a bar at 5am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's bad enough he's captain of our club, but he's also captain of England. In a time when he is clearly in decline and should be fighting tooth and nail for a place he goes out and gets ****-faced. How can anyone defend him? It wouldn't deserve a second thought but Rooney has been terrible for three years now....you would think the fact that him finally getting dropped would maybe shake some sense into him. Sadly it doesn't and Wayne just does whatever he wants anyway.

Here is a man who clearly hasn't looked after his body as well as he should. I personally think it's poor lifestyle choices like this are what has seen him going into a state of decline so young. Wayne would want to cop himself on.
    It's actually unbelievable that anyone would try to defend it.

This is not the 80's anymore, a period where players often turned up drunk for training or were hungover during a match. The situation today is completely different. Even the worst teams in the Premier League will have fitness coaches, dietitians, etc. and will be constantly monitoring players bloods and weight. This is reflected on the pitch, intensity is just so high these days, that even a good player like Rooney will stick out like a sore thumb if he is not 100%.

Personally, at 31 years of age, I think Rooney is done and expect him to be moved on at the end of the season.

To put things in perspective regarding Rooney I bet you'll never see Ronaldo ****faced in a bar at 5am.

Ronaldo is probably the greatest athlete sport has ever seen and there will probably never be another person like him in sport ever again. You could compare any sport star in the world to him and there is no one to compare. Even messi lights up the odd cigarette

you never would as he doesnt drink but what has this got to do with rooney?

Rooney was an idiot but as usual people are going over the top with this.

Did he have permission off United to drink?

I think it's a joke that a club who pays the likes of Rooney £300k a week can have no say in such a thing. He is supposed to be linked up with his country and preparing for upcoming fixtures and not out on the razz when the club releases him on "international duty".

Of course the club would have allowed it, the club also organises nights out for the players in a private bar and they get **** faced but there is just no one there to photograph the players and sell the pictures to some rag newspaper

• Advertisement

It's actually unbelievable that anyone would try to defend it.

This is not the 80's anymore, a period where players often turned up drunk for training or were hungover during a match. The situation today is completely different. Even the worst teams in the Premier League will have fitness coaches, dietitians, etc. and will be constantly monitoring players bloods and weight. This is reflected on the pitch, intensity is just so high these days, that even a good player like Rooney will stick out like a sore thumb if he is not 100%.

Personally, at 31 years of age, I think Rooney is done and expect him to be moved on at the end of the season.

I can agree here. His physical condition when compared to somebody like Pogba, and even Ibra for his age as examples are way off the mark.

Ronaldo is probably the greatest athlete sport has ever seen and there will probably never be another person like him in sport ever again. You could compare any sport star in the world to him and there is no one to compare. Even messi lights up the odd cigarette

This is bull****e tbh
    Why shouldn't Rooney be able to buff up like Ronaldo
    You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it
    It's fairly obvious Ronaldo spends alot more time in the gym than Rooney

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is bull****e tbh
    Why shouldn't Rooney be able to buff up like Ronaldo
    You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it
    It's fairly obvious Ronaldo spends alot more time in the gym than Rooney

Rooney could spend all year in the gym and he will never have a body like Ronaldo, different genes etc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can agree here. His physical condition when compared to somebody like Pogba, and even Ibra for his age as examples are way off the mark.

i think rooney has never been an athlete like the pogba and ibra has. he always looked like he needed to work harder to keep in shape compared to everyone else.

i think thats one of the problems now is that before he could relie on his talent making up for it but now his talent is waning its becoming more and more noticebale which is why he has been terrible last season/this season.

Of course the club would have allowed it, the club also organises nights out for the players in a private bar and they get **** faced but there is just no one there to photograph the players and sell the pictures to some rag newspaper

At the end of the ****ing season or at a special Xmas party. These are exceptional circumstances....not gatecrashing a bloody wedding.

Rooney arguably had more talented than Ronaldo, look at the difference between the two and see how telling that alone is.

At the end of the ****ing season or at a special Xmas party. These are exceptional circumstances....not gatecrashing a bloody wedding.

How do you know he gate crashed a wedding?! He was drinking in the bar and some of the wedding party came in after he wedding. Big deal, a few pints, who cares.

I see even Jurgen klopp has come out this morning defending Rooney. Said there was a picture of the German national team in a restaurant in Rome the other day, there was not one glass on the table, but the reality was the glasses were being hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Amazing the feeling of ownership some people feel they have over people just because they follow a club they play for.

Rooney arguably had more talented than Ronaldo, look at the difference between the two and see how telling that alone is.

Ravel Morrison was the best young player to ever come out of the Man Utd academy, look how that turned out.

Comparing Ronaldo and Rooney over 12 years ago is ridiculous

How do you know he gate crashed a wedding?! He was drinking in the bar and some of the wedding party came in after he wedding. Big deal, a few pints, who cares.

I see even Jurgen klopp has come out this morning defending Rooney. Said there was a picture of the German national team in a restaurant in Rome the other day, there was not one glass on the table, but the reality was the glasses were being hidden.

I care. I pay a lot of money year including tickets to go over and watch him play. That money contributes to his wages and he is the captain of the club I support. It shows a downright lack of professionalism from start to finish. No big deal if he wasn't struggling so badly lately but it's clear his performance levels have waned.

Well Klopp is hardly going to call a rival player out for being a disgrace. His interview should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement