Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rumour according to Pilib de Brun is United have contacted Griezmann a while ago and he is interested in the move to United next summer, and will be a replacement most likely for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I would guess Griezmann is predicated on landing a CL spot. Can't see him moving to play in the Europa when he could pick nearly any top team to go to.

No pressure Jose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I would guess Griezmann is predicated on landing a CL spot. Can't see him moving to play in the Europa when he could pick nearly any top team to go to.

No pressure Jose!

Pogba left Juventus to play in the Europa league, but I am confident we will be in the CL next season.
    Griezmann is a United fan even if he cannot admit it right now but we know from the past and him holding a United shirt, going to Old Trafford with Theo, the recent comments from Griezmann - he will be a United player next season.
    If Zlatan can keep his current form going next year, and if Griezmann does join as expected, it will be mighty.
    There are a lot of positive signs for United.
    Gone are the cures for sleep which a United game was most of the time under LVG.
    I think United will be back contending to win CL finals again within the next three to five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I missed positive Robert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

If Griezmann is signed next season who does he replace in the starting lineup?

Assuming the preferred formation is 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of Carrick (or a new DM), Herrera and Pogba and for the front three positions you have Martial, Ibra and Mkhitaryan.

Obviously Griezmann would walk straight into the starting 11 but where do you play him to get the best out of both himself and the team?

Right time for some blind optimism our 22 league game winning run starts today with A josesque 2-0 win.

1 down 21 to go

2 down 20 to go

If Griezmann is signed next season who does he replace in the starting lineup?

Assuming the preferred formation is 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of Carrick (or a new DM), Herrera and Pogba and for the front three positions you have Martial, Ibra and Mkhitaryan.

Obviously Griezmann would walk straight into the starting 11 but where do you play him to get the best out of both himself and the team?

Front 3 of miki and griezman playing wide of zlatan would be awesome the amount of runs in behind the big man taking the ball down.

Then year after if zlatan is gone or too old you have griezman in middle and players like miki and martial and rashford wide or interchanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If me and Robert were to have babies the optimism that they would have would make the positivity train fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rumour according to Pilib de Brun is United have contacted Griezmann a while ago and he is interested in the move to United next summer, and will be a replacement most likely for Rooney.

Let's all pray!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pogba left Juventus to play in the Europa league, but I am confident we will be in the CL next season.
    Griezmann is a United fan even if he cannot admit it right now but we know from the past and him holding a United shirt, going to Old Trafford with Theo, the recent comments from Griezmann - he will be a United player next season.
    If Zlatan can keep his current form going next year, and if Griezmann does join as expected, it will be mighty.
    Gone are the cures for sleep which a United game was most of the time under LVG.
    I think United will be back contending to win CL finals again within the next three to five years.

Up ya boyo!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Time to get a Griezmann 7 jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

jayo26 wrote: »
    Front 3 of miki and griezman playing wide of zlatan would be awesome the amount of runs in behind the big man taking the ball down.

Then year after if zlatan is gone or too old you have griezman in middle and players like miki and martial and rashford wide or interchanging.

Play Griezmann out on the left? I dont think I've seen him play out that side consistently in a game, how is he in this position? Long term would he be a better option than Martial on the left? I always just kind of expected Tony will move back into the centre when Ibra is no longer in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Play Griezmann out on the left? I dont think I've seen him play out that side consistently in a game, how is he in this position? Long term would he be a better option than Martial on the left? I always just kind of expected Tony will move back into the centre when Ibra is no longer in the starting 11.

Well I'm sure when Ibra has finished and you had to choose 3 from Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan and Griezmann I'm sure you would have them all interchanging. One of the things I have noticed about Jose's formations is that when attacking there is a hell of a lot of freedom for the players compared to LVG stay in your imaginary box. When defending you can see the players move back into the formation and they are swapping positions. Basically the attacking players are going to the position closest to them when defending.

I ment miki on left and griezman right where he plays for France and started off in Spain on right. Both players have the ability to play and drift right across the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't tell anyone but there's whispers of Griezmann coming to OT in January, being realistic though the best I can see is some kind of pre contract being signed and him joining in the Summer.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone but there's whispers of Griezmann coming to OT in January, being realistic though the best I can see is some kind of pre contract being signed and him joining in the Summer.

Posted on a soccer forum on the Internet

Ah Zerks you're gas craic :pac:

9773531.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Who do you see United displacing of the current top four as it stands (I know there's a lot of games to play) to get that spot? Or do you think they'll finish outside the top four and win the EL?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Who do you see United displacing of the current top four as it stands (I know there's a lot of games to play) to get that spot? Or do you think they'll finish outside the top four and win the EL?

The next month will tell a lot about the teams above us I think city look the best chance of falling out as it stands but apart from Chelsea the next 5 teams could easily sink or swim.

jayo26 wrote: »
    The next month will tell a lot about the teams above us I think city look the best chance of falling out as it stands but apart from Chelsea the next 5 teams could easily sink or swim.

What gives the impression that someone will drop out though? I agree with you though that this time next month will be very telling.

Chelsea I think will win it alright.

Liverpool and City both have a lot of injuries but are coping ok. If Liverpool tighten up a bit at the back they will stay in the top four. City are a bit hit and miss when teams don't allow them to play the game they want.

Arsenal look much stronger this year but will they do an Arsenal?

Spurs also very solid at the minute but the result against yourselves might upset their rhythm a little.

Realistically United fell away after a promising start and may have left themselves a but to much to do to get into the top four.

I had actually tipped United to win the league this year when I saw your signings over the summer and thought Jose would make ye much harder to beat.

• Advertisement

Anyone from second to fourth. It all depends on United doing their stuff properly though and that's the big concern for United. If we win our games the top 4 will look after itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I think after xmas we'll have a much clearer picture of what may happen.

Jayop wrote: »
    Anyone from second to fourth. It all depends on United doing their stuff properly though and that's the big concern for United. If we win our games the top 4 will look after itself.

United have to better the teams above them results though in a few game weeks and although they have been playing much better they are still very inconsistent.

Should be a good title race/ battle for top four this year.

Julez wrote: »
    I think after xmas we'll have a much clearer picture of what may happen.

Actually who are United next few games against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Actually who are United next few games against?

west brom
    sunderland
    middlesboro

Next three games from United are all winnable. Presuming we win them and get the 9 points then...

City play Arsenal hull and Liverpool.
    Arsenal play city West Brom and palace.
    Liverpool play Everton Stoke and city.

We're 7 behind Liverpool and Arsenal and 6 behind city. Presuming again they win the games against non top 4 teams then we'll still make up points against 2 of those teams.

If city win all their games then we're four behind Liverpool and Arsenal. If the other two teams both beat city then we're even on points with them. If those two games are draws then we'll be 5 behind liverpool and Arsenal and 2 behind city.

The next three games are massive for us because if we win them then we absolutely will make up ground on at least one team in the top four and most likely 2 of them.

United have to better the teams above them results though in a few game weeks and although they have been playing much better they are still very inconsistent.

Should be a good title race/ battle for top four this year.

We do but as I explained in the post above with the teams from 2nd to 4th playing each other then if we win our games we make up ground before the new year. That's all we can hope for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

What gives the impression that someone will drop out though? I agree with you though that this time next month will be very telling.

Liverpool and City both have a lot of injuries but are coping ok. If Liverpool tighten up a bit at the back they will stay in the top four. City are a bit hit and miss when teams don't allow them to play the game they want.

Spurs also very solid at the minute but the result against yourselves might upset their rhythm a little.

Realistically United fell away after a promising start and may have left themselves a but to much to do to get into the top four.

I had actually tipped United to win the league this year when I saw your signings over the summer and thought Jose would make ye much harder to beat.

If United sharpen up in the final third they will make top 4. Neither of these things may happen or one or both of them will.
    It's December.

United are 7 points behind Liverpool with a match between the 2 coming up at Old Trafford. Hardly an impossible mountain to overcome.

City have no consistency at all. Outside of the first 6 games they have looked very ordinary.

It's a tough ask but they are the 2 targets I would have my team aiming for.
    Chelsea look too strong and Arsenal won't drop many unexpected points.

Next three games from United are all winnable. Presuming we win them and get the 9 points then...

We're 7 behind Liverpool and Arsenal and 6 behind city. Presuming again they win the games against non top 4 teams then we'll still make up points against 2 of those teams.

If city win all their games then we're four behind Liverpool and Arsenal. If the other two teams both beat city then we're even on points with them. If those two games are draws then we'll be 5 behind liverpool and Arsenal and 2 behind city.

The next three games are massive for us because if we win them then we absolutely will make up ground on at least one team in the top four and most likely 2 of them.

Fixtures are definitely in United favour there then with teams above them playing each other.

Saying that West Brom are doing very well this year and Middleborough are very well organised so potential to drop points there but United should have to much for both.

Edit: Also what the hell is Rojo playing at with those two horrible challenges in the last two games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

This is what I meant in my post... but you did it much better!

• Advertisement

If United sharpen up in the final third they will make top 4. Neither of these things may happen or one or both of them will.
    It's December.

United are 7 points behind Liverpool with a match between the 2 coming up at Old Trafford. Hardly an impossible mountain to overcome.

City have no consistency at all. Outside of the first 6 games they have looked very ordinary.

It's a tough ask but they are the 2 targets I would have my team aiming for.
    Chelsea look too strong and Arsenal won't drop many unexpected points.

The only thing there is Liverpool are in the mix for the top four though even with the leaky back four.

United have struggled up front to put away chances and hence they have fallen away a little.

Also United have relied heavily on Zlatan for goals (I think he's scored half your goals this year?) so if he picks up an injury it could be a though few weeks while he's out.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/rio-ferdinand-donates-toys-key-12323167
    Former Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand has made the huge half a million pound donation to Key 103's Cash for Kids charity, and also revealed he's donating 11,500 sleeping bags for the homeless

Fair fucks to Rio,putting his money where his mouth is.He always came across as a sound fella.

Fixtures are definitely in United favour there then with teams above them playing each other.

Saying that West Brom are doing very well this year and Middleborough are very well organised so potential to drop points there but United should have to much for both.

Edit: Also what the hell is Rojo playing at with those two horrible challenges in the last two games!!
    No doubt Emmet all my posts are based on 'if' United win their games which is a big if.

Aye the tackles are stupid. I don't actually think the one last night was that dangerous but it was still a red. He needs to sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We've only lost 3 league games this season so far.

Same number as City, only one more than Chelsea, LFC, Arsenal and Spurs.

We clearly are difficult to beat.

Its stupid draws like Arsenal, West Ham, Everton and Burnley and that have killed us.

No doubt Emmet all my posts are based on 'if' United win their games which is a big if.

Aye the tackles are stupid. I don't actually think the one last night was that dangerous but it was still a red. He needs to sort that out.

I think all our posts are based on 'IFs' :pac:

The one last night certainly wasn't as bad as the previous one but I saw a friend of mine have his leg broken in a two footed lunge and I hate seeing players diving in like that!!

I'm looking forward to a few days off over Christmas and watching a lot of matches in a short space of time like the rest of you chaps.

Also it's nice to have a proper discussion without the usual mud slinging :)

Rod Munch wrote: »
    We've only lost 3 league games this season so far.

Same number as City, only one more than Chelsea, LFC, Arsenal and Spurs.

We clearly are difficult to beat.

Its stupid draws like Arsenal, West Ham, Everton and Burnley and that have killed us.

Same as Liverpool with the poor concentration against Bournemouth and West Ham costing us points.

Unfortunately these things happen and it's how the team responds to the poorer results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've drawn 6 and lost 1 of our last 10 league games, it's amazing we're still in the running to be honest.

We need to win the next 4, or at the very least pick up 10 points before the Liverpool game.

The one last night certainly wasn't as bad as the previous one but I saw a friend of mine have his leg broken in a two footed lunge and I hate seeing players diving in like that!!

I'm looking forward to a few days off over Christmas and watching a lot of matches in a short space of time like the rest of you chaps.

It's the same in every thread. If you go to the thread and have a proper discussion instead of being on the wind up, we are all welcoming and engaging be it in the United or Liverpool threads.

Just goes to show how much the "wumming" and "mud slinging" bring down the superthreads

astradave wrote: »
    It's the same in every thread. If you go to the thread and have a proper discussion instead of being on the wind up, we are all welcoming and engaging be it in the United or Liverpool threads.

Just goes to show how much the "wumming" and "mud slinging" bring down the superthreads

F**K off Dave :pac: nah just kidding, I fully agree.

• Advertisement

Like Dave says discussion is welcome while wumming isn't. It's easy to tell the difference and its the same characters that engage in the wumming all the time. You're never one of them imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The only thing there is Liverpool are in the mix for the top four though even with the leaky back four.

United have struggled up front to put away chances and hence they have fallen away a little.

Also United have relied heavily on Zlatan for goals (I think he's scored half your goals this year?) so if he picks up an injury it could be a though few weeks while he's out.

It's all ifs and buts though. Liverpool are well capable of going on a bad run. 3 games without Coutinho and it's a win, a draw and a loss, so if you want to get into the ifs and buts of injuries... Zlatan has a pretty impressive fitness record.

I think we will know a lot more about how it's likely to play out for both clubs come January. Anything can happen over this hectic Christmas period.

Also on zlatan. He's been our only center forward for pretty much every minute of every game so that he's scored most goals isn't surprising. Should someone else play there then they are more likely to score.

That is the joke.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Also on zlatan. He's been our only center forward for pretty much every minute of every game so that he's scored most goals isn't surprising. Should someone else play there then they are more likely to score.

Sure if Zlatan played in goals he'd have more saves then Dave..

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Sure if Zlatan played in goals he'd have more saves then Dave..

If he played there in his place he would have.

• Advertisement

Any updates on Berbatov coming back to the club to train and pick up coaching tips from José?

It's all ifs and buts though. Liverpool are well capable of going on a bad run. 3 games without Coutinho and it's a win, a draw and a loss, so if you want to get into the ifs and buts of injuries... Zlatan has a pretty impressive fitness record.

I think we will know a lot more about how it's likely to play out for both clubs come January. Anything can happen over this hectic Christmas period.

A bigger loss to Liverpool is Matip. He has brought a calmness to the back four that's been lacking a while.

That is the joke.:)

k223wmom78jonkkzhbbw.gifimages hosting

Sorry I meant it as in not many other players are chipping in with many goals yet.

Sorry I meant it as in not many other players are chipping in with many goals yet.

Own goal hasn't really shown up so far for us this year yet but when he does he will be lethal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement