Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sorry I meant it as in not many other players are chipping in with many goals yet.

Yeah you're right, but it's a lot to do with how we're playing. It's a bit like Newcastle with Shearer. The whole attack seems to be built around getting one player in a position to score. Mkhitaryan has just started playing now though and I'd expect him to chip in with a few, Rashford hasn't scored yet, Martial has been poor, Rooney got very few in the league, Mata the same.

We do need the rest of our attack to start contributing more than close attempts, hitting the post or having the keeper pulling off great saves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Chelsea I think will win it alright.

Chelsea are the third team this season that people are confident won't be caught. It was City first, then Liverpool. Chelsea look great but it seems everyone gets a turn being runaway winners this season.

Hopefully our time comes at the very end of the season :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Chelsea are the third team this season that people are confident won't be caught. It was City first, then Liverpool. Chelsea look great but it seems everyone gets a turn being runaway winners this season.

Hopefully our time comes at the very end of the season :P

No-one else has gotten close to going ten games on the bounce though and that's the difference with Chelsea. They started the season pretty badly. In September they played 3, lost 2 and drew 1. Since then they've won every game and have played United, Spurs, City and Leicester in that run. It's very impressive stuff and that run will have built massive confidence.

They also have Palace, Bournemouth ad Stoke as the next 3 so your wouldn't be surprised if they won those three. Spurs away as the first game of the new year is the next hard game they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

i remember winning our first 10 matches on the bounce and finally thinking we are going to be champions again.........not 100% but we only won something like 10 games the rest of the season......point being it's way to early to be discussing who is/isnt going to be in top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

City won their first 10 games in a row, may not have been league games all of them but shows you how much of a purple patch they were in.

Ebbs and flows gents, Chelsea have no European distraction which will help them immensely (not to mention a super coach) and I would not bet against them winning but I do think people tend to get ahead of themselves when a team is on a good/great even run. Keep yourself in with a shout heading down the stretch and who knows what will happen then as everybody drops points, as Fergie said, the trick is to drop less points then the opposition.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jambofc wrote: »
    i remember winning our first 10 matches on the bounce and finally thinking we are going to be champions again.........not 100% but we only won something like 10 games the rest of the season......point being it's way to early to be discussing who is/isnt going to be in top 4

When Big Ron was the boss? Think we finished fourth after that start! Met him on Monday at his book signing in Sligo,he told us some great stories from his career!

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rumour according to Pilib de Brun is United have contacted Griezmann a while ago and he is interested in the move to United next summer, and will be a replacement most likely for Rooney.

4 d bench?? id say hed start

Still can't get over that second goal from Pogbahimovic last night. The camera angle wasn't great in Selhurst. Even watching the match on a big enough screen on BT Sports, I didn't know where the ball went when Zlatan struck it until I saw him and the players start to celebrate. Serious work and ability from both players, very different to the serious luck which was involved for the first goal. Two stallions, and they only cost the club a combined €100m!

Feeling a little wary about Rojo, despite the fact that he has been mostly good for us since coming back in. However, refs are going to be watching him like a hawk. He's on their radar now as someone with previous who owes a debt. No, I don't think that they will be chomping at the bit to send him off for something harmless like shouldering a man off the ball, or that they will conspire to send him off, just that rightfully the spotlight is on him now. Any benefit of the doubt that might be afforded to him by the ref after a hard challenge is gone now for the forseeable future IMO, and that's a liability for the team.

Whether he's just extremely passionate, whether he's a bit clumsy, whether he thinks that tackling with two feet doubles his chances of winning the ball, it has to stop because it's going to cost us. Delighted to hear Jose protect his player from the media, but privately he should be telling Rojo to cop on and to stop bobsledding into challenges.

Just looked there. We've had 1 pen in the last 23 games and that was as part of a rout in Europe. We probably should have been awarded another 7 or 8 in that time. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I respect Chelsea and think they will be hard to stop, but they are also one Diego Costa injury from having their own problems.

Personally I don't worry so much about catching one team or another, it doesn't matter what our rivals are doing, United just need to focus on themselves and start picking up the wins.

Sort out the performances and the wins will follow, start picking up the wins and top four will follow again, keep doing it and win trophies. Its all a process you see ;), and what other teams do is the least important part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

zorro2566 wrote: »
    When Big Ron was the boss? Think we finished fourth after that start! Met him on Monday at his book signing in Sligo,he told us some great stories from his career!

yea big fat ron lol great team just didnt work hard enough n drank to much beer ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nicked from Eric Bailly's Twitter
    Happy to announce that my injury isn't too serious. Hope to be able to help my team again soon! Thank you for the support!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As a massive fan of his, I'm so thrilled that this seems true. Berbatov back at Carrington, supposedly doing his internship for coaching.

15578723_10154198425648526_2744733990423603921_n.jpg?oh=dd1f32601bd1ced7cad19294ee048c71&oe=58B96874

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if Rooney is growing the beard until he breaks the record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »

Could be he did something similar few year ago didn't he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

As a massive fan of his, I'm so thrilled that this seems true. Berbatov back at Carrington, supposedly doing his internship for coaching.

15578723_10154198425648526_2744733990423603921_n.jpg?oh=dd1f32601bd1ced7cad19294ee048c71&oe=58B96874

Berbs get a hair transplant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

J. Marston wrote: »

Rooney next season

6_MPM_BRITAINS_BEST_BEARD_07-800x498.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I respect Chelsea and think they will be hard to stop, but they are also one Diego Costa injury from having their own problems.

Personally I don't worry so much about catching one team or another, it doesn't matter what our rivals are doing, United just need to focus on themselves and start picking up the wins.

Sort out the performances and the wins will follow, start picking up the wins and top four will follow again, keep doing it and win trophies. Its all a process you see ;), and what other teams do is the least important part of it.

Chelsea will be fine even if they lose Costa although he has been brilliant. Their defence is brilliant, David Luiz being a massive part of that and they have the brilliance of hazard to rely on plus they will probably reinvest some of the 60m they get for Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Be like Zoolander when Ibra and Berba cross paths :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bangkok wrote: »
    Chelsea will be fine even if they lose Costa although he has been brilliant. Their defence is brilliant, David Luiz being a massive part of that and they have the brilliance of hazard to rely on plus they will probably reinvest some of the 60m they get for Oscar

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rooney trying to discover his inner Roy Keane. Berbatov and Ibra would be some conversation to hear, ruud van nistelrooy sitting down with them would be the three magi.

Who is their striker if Costa gets injured? You think Batshuayi is going to step up? Some false nine bull from Hazard?

I don't really expect a legible answer from you but its a simple fact, Chelsea have zero depth in terms of goal scoring strikers, something they should be concerned about considering Costa's injury record.

Who is their striker if Costa gets injured? You think Batshuayi is going to step up? Some false nine bull from Hazard?

I don't really expect a legible answer from you but its a simple fact, Chelsea have zero depth in terms of goal scoring strikers, something they should be concerned about considering Costa's injury record.

You clearly didn't read where I said they would reinvest some of the 60m they will receive for Oscar...

Also yes they have batshuayi who they signed for 35m and have pedro who can score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

On who? Who would you think they will be bringing in for the 60 million, (50 I thought?) that will be happy to play second fiddle to Costa unless he gets injured half way through a season?

I am interested.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

On who? Who would you think they will be bringing in for the 60 million, (50 I thought?) that will be happy to play second fiddle to Costa unless he gets injured half way through a season?

I am interested.

I'd also like to know this, also which striker will be able to come straight into a team mid way through the season and start firing on all cylinders?

• Advertisement

You clearly didn't read where I said they would reinvest some of the 60m they will receive for Oscar...

Also yes they have batshuayi who they signed for 35m and have pedro who can score goals.

Because they couldn't afford to buy unless they sell Oscar...

Of course they might buy, or they might not, who knows, but the reality right now stays the same and thats that Chelsea are one specific injury away from a massive drop in quality in a vital position. Even if they do buy and the player they buy settles in quickly it is likely to still be a step down from Costa.

They are still my favourites for the title but they are not some invincible team, so right here and now, in December and with 5 months of the league still to go, I don't think it will be all plain sailing for them. They will have their defeats and like I say, lose Costa and they might have real problems.

And yes because spending 35m on a player means they are going to be a sure fire hit.. never before has their been a 35m player that has been a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

David Luiz being a massive part of a brilliant defence is the main part I can't get my head around.

adox wrote: »
    David Luiz being a massive part of a brilliant defence is the main part I can't get my head around.

He has been class, the heart of the current Chelsea defence.

astradave wrote: »
    I'd also like to know this, also which striker will be able to come straight into a team mid way through the season and start firing on all cylinders?

Could easily see lukaku going back there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He has been class, the heart of the current Chelsea defence.

He has. He's really ruining that meme about him being shíte.

Because they couldn't afford to buy unless they sell Oscar...

Of course they might buy, or they might not, who knows, but the reality right now stays the same and thats that Chelsea are one specific injury away from a massive drop in quality in a vital position. Even if they do buy and the player they buy settles in quickly it is likely to still be a step down from Costa.

They are still my favourites for the title but they are not some invincible team, so right here and now, in December and with 5 months of the league still to go, I don't think it will be all plain sailing for them. They will have their defeats and like I say, lose Costa and they might have real problems.

Also Costa getting injured is all ifs and buts. Could say the very same if zlatan got injured

Also Costa getting injured is all ifs and buts. Could say the very same if zlatan got injured

Except that we could replace Zlatan with our all time record goalscorer, or with Martial, or with Rashford...

Tell me again who replaces Costa? Pedro you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Except that we could replace Zlatan with our all time record goalscorer, or with Martial, or with Rashford...

Tell me again who replaces Costa? Pedro you say?

Batshuayi is at least as good as any of those options at the moment imo.

Liam O wrote: »
    Batshuayi is at least as good as any of those options at the moment imo.

Whether he is or isn't, the point is the effect on Chelsea of missing Costa. They go from a top class player firing in goals at a top class level to a young lad who has never started a premier league game.

If we lost Zlatan and had to make do with our other options I think we would make do just fine considering our current level, but do you really believe Batshuayi will keep Chelsea firing on all cylinders at the top of the table? Thats the question, not whether Batshuayi is better than Rashford or Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hey,I posted this news first and no comment from Astradave or jayo. The feckers always pop up when I'm slow to the scoop.:):)

zerks wrote: »
    Hey,I posted this news first and no comment from Astradave or jayo. The feckers always pop up when I'm slow to the scoop.:):)

You didn't post the picture :P

The Sun are reporting that LA Galaxy want Zlatan in the Summer. If it is true (big if with it being the sun) then if we activate his contract clause they would need to pay us a fee for him.

astradave wrote: »
    The Sun are reporting that LA Galaxy want Zlatan in the Summer. If it is true (big if with it being the sun) then if we activate his contract clause they would need to pay us a fee for him.

I got this impression last month that there was something in pipeline but I can't see zlatan wanting to leave United after one year especially if him and the team are playing well and progressing even as it is now he is a 35 year old that is still way above the level of every player in America it be absolutely no challenge for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Didn't we extend Zlatan's contract like 2 weeks ago?

Lukekul wrote: »
    Didn't we extend Zlatan's contract like 2 weeks ago?

No jose said that it would happen and zlatan said that it didn't need to be talked about as it was an automatic extension if certain things happened so I'd imagine it happens after a certain amount of games more likely goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Memphis Depay and Morgan Schneiderlin set to join Everton in January

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-memphis-12327646

Schneiderlin got less chances than Depay to prove himself, its a weird one because we are still lacking in MF but Jose just doesn't fancy him by the looks of it. I still think he's a good player that can offer us something, shame.

Depay, never showed enough, big ego too so I'm not too fussed he's going.

Also, we seem to have an agreement with Everton for first dibs or something these days.

edit: accidentally clicked on that smiley, I'm not happy about this news I swear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have read, but didn't want to believe cause I really like him, that none of the United players have rated him since the first training session at the club.

He looked brilliant for Southampton and I was DELIGHTED when we signed him. Still annoyed at the lack of chances he has got as I still believe he could have been a quality player for him.

Could be two super signings for Everton, as they will get a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Would happily take Coleman in part exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Would happily take Coleman in part exchange.

i dont think that wouuld be much of an upgrade on valencia or darmian tbh. Hes very overrated and has regressed a lot since his early days at everton were i would have badly wanted him at united.

would be sad to see memphis and morgan go as i had a lot of hope they were going to be great for us. i still think morgan has never really had a chance to impress at the club and think its a great buy for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

sky88 wrote: »
    i dont think that wouuld be much of an upgrade on valencia or darmian tbh. Hes very overrated and has regressed a lot since his early days at everton were i would have badly wanted him at united.

Overrated, maybe a little but i would still rate him a better right back than Darmian and Valencia.

sky88 wrote: »

would be sad to see memphis and morgan go as i had a lot of hope they were going to be great for us. i still think morgan has never really had a chance to impress at the club and think its a great buy for Everton.

I don't agree at all
    He's having arguably one of his best season for Everton and flying in the Euro qualifiers.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't agree at all
    He's having arguably one of his best season for Everton and flying in the Euro qualifiers.

This myth of the Coleman regression has been covered before. It's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't agree at all

i just dont see it, feel hes highly overrated because hes irish on here. he wastes more ball attacking then valencia does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement