Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Nothing like an early goal to kill a match thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not many talking about it but Rooney had a good game again, I'm loving the role he's playing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Brunt's was far more cynical but it was a fair outcome too.
    I used to think a blatant professional foul was a red card, but I guess times have changed.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    When you look at the team and the bond they all seem to have together you have to think jose is doing a pretty good job with them.

He's doing such a pathetic job isn't he, according to some doctors.

We have the team playing well, we have individual players coming on leaps and bounds, we have lads genuinely improving as players under his watch, the influence of a properly good manager is everywhere in that team, crazy that some people couldn't see it. We will lose and draw more games in the next four months, we still might not make top four, but continue down this path and we will be champions again, no bout a doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not many talking about it but Rooney had a good game again, I'm loving the role he's playing now

Great win last night Mick but in my opinion that's a a case of rose tinted glasses. He helped Darmian a good bit defensively but thought he was very underwhelming again. With him and Darmian our whole left side was non existent attacking basically. He seems completely out of sync with Pogba/Zlatan etc, tempo of our play drops noticeably when he is on the ball. Had a good shot and another 'assist', didn't see much apart from that. Had another classic Rooney moment late on when Rashers sprints up the field, knocks it inside to him, first touch bounces of him and then his second touch ends up being a sliding tackle, which he loses. Infuriating. Hope he ain't growing that beard till he breaks Bobby's record or he could end up looking like Tom Hanks in Castaway!

• Advertisement

Great win last night Mick but in my opinion that's a a case of rose tinted glasses. He helped Darmian a good bit defensively but thought he was very underwhelming again. With him and Darmian our whole left side was non existent attacking basically. He seems completely out of sync with Pogba/Zlatan etc, tempo of our play drops noticeably when he is on the ball. Had a good shot and another 'assist', didn't see much apart from that. Had another classic Rooney moment late on when Rashers sprints up the field, knocks it inside to him, first touch bounces of him and then his second touch ends up being a sliding tackle, which he loses. Infuriating. Hope he ain't growing that beard till he breaks Bobby's record or he could end up looking like Tom Hanks in Castaway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rooney seems to give the ball away more than anyone else on that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Brunt's was far more cynical but it was a fair outcome too.
    I used to think a blatant professional foul was a red card, but I guess times have changed.
    When you look at the team and the bond they all seem to have together you have to think jose is doing a pretty good job with them.

He's doing such a pathetic job isn't he, according to some doctors.

We have the team playing well, we have individual players coming on leaps and bounds, we have lads genuinely improving as players under his watch, the influence of a properly good manager is everywhere in that team, crazy that some people couldn't see it. We will lose and draw more games in the next four months, we still might not make top four, but continue down this path and we will be champions again, no bout a doubt it.

As far as I can see only Herrera, Jones and Rojo have improved since last season. If Van Gaal was still around people wouldn't be giving him credit for Jones and Rojo as it was a stumbled upon partnership during an injury crisis.

We signed three world class players during the summer and a self proclaimed special manager. I think questions of why we are yet again struggling to keep pace with the top 4 are justified.

It's also pretty stupid laughing at the critics now that we've won a couple of games, particularly as most of the criticism was warranted.

As for the title, it could happen next year for sure. If your spending that much money every year then you don't need to have the best manager in the world to compete, as City have shown in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Gary Neville on Sunday Suplement this morning for anyone who's bright eyed and bushy tailed enough to be up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Had It happened centrally and close to goal it might well have been. That's a standard "take one for the team" yellow.

They are sh*tty when they break down your promising attack but they may just be a life saver somewhere down the line when you are hanging on to a slender lead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have had a rotten headcold the last few days so first chance I'm really getting to fawn over whats happening.

I loved yesterdays game. It was a proper dominating (albeit not highscoring) game. More and more, we are closing out opponents from having shots. We just did well that yesterday, the one shot they did have, we didn't concede from it.

Jones and Rojo aren't, imo, a good enough long term duo but I'm massively pleased with the performances we're seeing out of them. Ibrahimovic is making a mockery out of the fee paid, and is on track for one of our best striker preformances in years. Even if its only 12 months, he's doing brilliantly.

He had one or two moments, but nothing massively impressive. I know I've gone the rep of not liking him, so I'll add two things. One, I think he's been doing grand in the games he's getting recently (not amazing, not £250k a week good, but "grand). And two, I hold his usage in the current system against him and how he's doing.

Rooney is not a wide midfielder. To get the best out of Pogba (who I think the team should be built around), we need that midfield trio, and it's working with Herrera and Carrick at the moment. That formation is going to kill of Mata and Rooney though, neither of whom fit into the roles available.

I said constantly before that I wanted the end of LVG's reign to be the end of "Shove Rooney into abnormal positions just to get him on the field". He's lucky, in a way, that our wide options are lacking. I think once Mkhi comes back, he'll have the right side nailed down, but if Martial is struggling over the left side, I'd much, MUCH prefer an actual left winger brought in to play there, rather than forcing Rooney into a position he's not good enough for.

Still...10 games undefeated. Those bloody draws hurt even more so now. Put an extra goal away against any of Stoke, Burnely, Arsenal, Everton or West Ham, we're two points better off and in 5th. Do it against 2 of the 5 and we're in joint second.

I hate most "turned a corner" rhetoric, but my god, are we looking so, so much better than we were this time last year. With largely the same team too (only two players last night weren't there last year). The football is better, by a mile. Maybe not this year, but I feel Jose has us trundling down the right path.

I'm the most optimistic and excited about Man United as I have been for a solid three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The whole left side and Rooney was non existent apart from the second goal which Rooney assisted.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm the most optimistic and excited about Man United as I have been for a solid three years.

A draw at home to Sunderland will knock that optimism right out of you :pac:

Had It happened centrally and close to goal it might well have been. That's a standard "take one for the team" yellow.

They are sh*tty when they break down your promising attack but they may just be a life saver somewhere down the line when you are hanging on to a slender lead.

It wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity and that's the reason a yellow was correct. Rashford had so much more to do to get in on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I spoke about him yesterday evening, he was OK,not great,not terrible. Playing wide actually suits the team as he hasn't the touch or speed of thought and movement to play centrally anymore. In a crowded midfield or near the edge of the box he becomes a bit of a liability but wide he has more space and a bit more time to move and pick a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney seems to give the ball away more than anyone else on that team.

He's gradually improving I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Liked how the pundits mentioned that all the José and United critics have gone quiet on the Pogba price, Ibras age and Rooney form recently

Of course they have.

You win games, there are no critics. It's how football, and sport, has always been.

Moyes said it after Sunderland's game yesterday - 'winning covers a multitude of sins'. I'm not saying Utd are sinning at all. They're playing well. But the sentiment remains. If you win, critics shut up.

You don't have to like it, but it's the way the world works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A draw at home to Sunderland will knock that optimism right out of you :pac:

Moyes rocking up to OT and grinding out a 1-0 win against us pretty much writes itself. :(

zerks wrote: »
    I spoke about him yesterday evening, he was OK,not great,not terrible. Playing wide actually suits the team as he hasn't the touch or speed of thought and movement to play centrally anymore. In a crowded midfield or near the edge of the box he becomes a bit of a liability but wide he has more space and a bit more time to move and pick a pass.

Just to clarify I wasn't implying he turned a corner or any of that type of narrative, this @ TSC also
    More so his role is bit-part and it looks to suit him we can get good work out of him without having to forcefully over rely on him by trying to shoehorn him into the team. It takes the spotlight off him which has helped his confidence also. His first touch has been good again.
    He will lose his place once miki comes back but always crucial to have someone like Wayne on the bench

Jayop wrote: »
    The whole left side and Rooney was non existent apart from the second goal which Rooney assisted.

It is hardly earth shattering in fairness, It was a 5 yard pass from what I recall.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify I wasn't implying he turned a corner or any of that type of narrative, this @ TSC also
    More so his role is bit-part and it looks to suit him we can get good work out of him without having to forcefully over rely on him by trying to shoehorn him into the team. It takes the spotlight off him which has helped his confidence also. His first touch has been good again.
    He will lose his place once miki comes back but always crucial to have someone like Wayne on the bench

I'd love someone like Wayne on the bench.

It is hardly earth shattering in fairness, It was a 5 yard pass from what I recall.

Ran with the ball and played it to zlatan. You said nothing came from the right, one of the two goals we scored did so you were wrong. Earth shattering or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As far as I can see only Herrera, Jones and Rojo have improved since last season. If Van Gaal was still around people wouldn't be giving him credit for Jones and Rojo as it was a stumbled upon partnership during an injury crisis.

We signed three world class players during the summer and a self proclaimed special manager. I think questions of why we are yet again struggling to keep pace with the top 4 are justified.

It's also pretty stupid laughing at the critics now that we've won a couple of games, particularly as most of the criticism was warranted.

As for the title, it could happen next year for sure. If your spending that much money every year then you don't need to have the best manager in the world to compete, as City have shown in the last few years.

Van Gaal wouldn't have stumbled across it as he would have played Blind in there.

Also you can only see three players improving? How about the team as a whole? As a unit? How they are playing? Like you know progress. The results for a large part have been underwhelming but point counting as a barometer of the clubs progression is extremely short sighted and narrow parameters to use.

There have been plenty of questions asked on here about the results and the league position. I'm not sure if you have read this thread on a regular basis but I doubt it.

Ran with the ball and played it to zlatan. You said nothing came from the right, one of the two goals we scored did so you were wrong. Earth shattering or not.

I said we were basically non existent in an attacking sense on the left which was a fair assessment, Zlatan made that goal from nothing, you can be pedantic if you want.

I said we were basically non existent in an attacking sense on the left which was a fair assessment, Zlatan made that goal from nothing, you can be pedantic if you want.

Being correct isn't pedantic. One of our two goals came from the left therefore our attacking threat on the left wasn't basically non existent. Getting the ball in the box doesn't qualify as making a goal from nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just watching MOTD this morning.

Good to see Adnan having a good game for Sunderland.

Being correct isn't pedantic. One of our two goals came from the left therefore our attacking threat on the left wasn't basically non existent. Getting the ball in the box doesn't qualify as making a goal from nothing.

It was actually outside the box, if you want to be correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Breaking news pogba wants to rejoin juventus after he post a video of himself doing a transfer dance in their colours.....
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOKFh0ajEyi/

What a dance tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Breaking news pogba wants to rejoin juventus after he post a video of himself doing a transfer dance in their colours.....

Whathe a dance tho.

I'd give my right arm to get Roy Keane's opinion on this :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zlatan left PSG, and now after recent results there is talk of a crisis at PSG.

He came to us with a great record, and he has not disappointed, he is doing what we expected of Falcao.
    Adding another top goalscorer to our team who performs like Zlatan and we will be among the very best in the world in my opinion, we have a very good team, Jose is getting it right despite the slower than liked start to the league.
    We seem to be getting better and better as we move further and further away from the Van Gaal philosophy.

The team is passing better, movement is much faster. The team is showing they can dominate possession without having to bore everyone to death.
    United are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very happy so far with Jose's work at utd.

Playing some the best stuff in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Gary Neville on Sunday Supplement was a good watch.

Oliver Holt seemed to me like he doesn't like Gary Neville. He seemed to want to label him as a bully for the whole Karius situation. Looked annoyed at Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

GSPfan wrote: »

Oliver Holt seemed to me like he doesn't like Gary Neville. He seemed to want to label him as a bully for the whole Karius situation. Looked annoyed at Neville.

Neville had a go at "the print media" during the week so today's appearance was to set up aa confrontation of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He's the chief sports writer for the Mail.. and the mail really have a chip on their shoulder with anything United lately. He really dislikes United and anything to do with them.

It's an awful paper in general tbh

He did indeed did us see the looks he was given Gary when Gary was done talking.

I thought Gary came across very well and he was certainly more intelligent then most of the journalist he encounterd.

I don't get this thing of putting certain journalist in a high esteem and definitely don't understand it with Martin Samuel some of the gibberish he writes in the mail is pure low level journalism at best his opinions are a pure shock to get notice tactic.

Something that is pretty clear is that they have a better relationship with agents then they do with most players.

Also liked Gary's way of explaining the Rooney drinking episode and the way the fa handled him and indeed his team mates.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I'd give my right arm to get Roy Keane's opinion on this :pac::pac:

I don't think he would have much of a leg to stand on.

Back when Keane was a 23 year old the young lads were going out drinking and getting in trouble when have we ever seen much about pogba in the media other then what he posts of himself clowning around on instagram certainly can't remember ever seen him out or hearing of him been in trouble or speeding ect ect.

The only time I ever had a problem with a player messing about was with Jesse last year on the team bus before the Westham game other then that they are a different generation then me so I can't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

My missus has noticed I've been in a chirpy mood this past week and thinks it's the festive feeling..bollocks to Christmas...United are back baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

ElChe32 wrote: »
    My missus has noticed I've been in a chirpy mood this past week and thinks it's the festive feeling..bollocks to Christmas...United are back baby!

Were you like Scrooge this time last year then ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Sometimes you lack so much imagination Jayo.

limnam wrote: »
    Sometimes you lack so much imagination Jayo.

Cheers pal I'd say it's quiet a bit more then sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

ElChe32 wrote: »

I just showed this to my OH, apparently I've been the same :D

GGMU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Back when Keane was a 23 year old the young lads were going out drinking and getting in trouble when have we ever seen much about pogba in the media other then what he posts of himself clowning around on instagram certainly can't remember ever seen him out or hearing of him been in trouble or speeding ect ect.

The only time I ever had a problem with a player messing about was with Jesse last year on the team bus before the Westham game other then that they are a different generation then me so I can't judge.

I don't think Keane would even care so long as Pogba worked in training and delivered for the team. He had a lot of time for Ronaldo, which I remember surprising every interviewer who asked Keane about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Things are starting to fall into place,the run of draws were disappointing but United were playing good football so nice to put a few wins together now.

Jose seems to have found his preferred formation and it is working,be good to see how the team performs when everyone is fit.Be good to have Bailly,Shaw and Miki in the starting team,those 3 would make a huge difference.
    Any word when Shaw is likely to be available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hococop wrote: »
    Were you like Scrooge this time last year then ha

Proper miserable git!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Possible Utd will see out the rest of the league unbeaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Possible Utd will see out the rest of the league unbeaten?

No way. But would be nice to have a sniff of the title after say 10 more games.

astradave wrote: »
    I just showed this to my OH, apparently I've been the same :D

GGMU

It's gas isn't it I'm such a cranky ****er when United are going bad. Been impossible the last few years but proper chipper at the moment.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No way. But would be nice to have a sniff of the title after say 10 more games.

Be nice to see where we are in the league on Google without having to expand the table.

13 points to Chelsea is just too much to consider over turning. If it was a team like Newcastle managed by someone like keegan then I'd say it's on but Chelsea have too much experience and too good a manager to be caught by us.

Not to say they can't be caught by a team above us but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I dont think we have a chance of a title push as Chelsea would have to collapse and we would have to be beating every other top team to get ourselves past all 5 teams above us.

We do however have a good chance at 2nd 3rd and 4th place. If we can continue in this form we will sneak past a few teams im sure.

A sneaky January transfer could help us too if Schneiderlin and Depay move on as expected.

Are people seriously talking about winning the league?
    It would take a MicksJaguar to win the league.
    4th is still a tough ask.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement