Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

Am I allowed to re-open the debate about Rashford & arguably Martials progress being hindered slightly by Zlatan (as epic as he has been)
    It's very hard to rest a player who is banging in goals, but I really would like to see an opportunity given to Rashford up top again over the Xmas period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Am I allowed to re-open the debate about Rashford & arguably Martials progress being hindered slightly by Zlatan (as epic as he has been)
    It's very hard to rest a player who is banging in goals, but I really would like to see an opportunity given to Rashford up top again over the Xmas period

I don't think Zlatan should be playing every minute of every game like he is, but I also don't think that either Rashford or Martial are showing that they deserve to have the striking role right now.

Take last season out of it, if they had just came into the squad in the summer and performed as they have then I doubt anybody would be calling for them to be given much more responsibility, I'd even say Lingard has impressed more than them this season and I'm certainly not his biggest fan.

They have both been given plenty of time on the field but if they want to be the main man up front then they really need to start showing something, because I can totally understand why Jose doesn't want to play them there. We are on a good run now, but if for example we put Martial up front for a few games and he played to his current level, then I would expect more dropped points to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Looks likely that Southampton are going to cash in on Virgil Van Dijk during the January window.Might be harsh to say it seeing as how well Rojo and Jones are doing at the moment (not forgetting Smalling either)....but Bailly and Van Dijk would make a great partnership for years to come.

I don't think Zlatan should be playing every minute of every game like he is, but I also don't think that either Rashford or Martial are showing that they deserve to have the striking role right now.

Take last season out of it, if they had just came into the squad in the summer and performed as they have then I doubt anybody would be calling for them to be given much more responsibility, I'd even say Lingard has impressed more than them this season and I'm certainly not his biggest fan.

They have both been given plenty of time on the field but if they want to be the main man up front then they really need to start showing something, because I can totally understand why Jose doesn't want to play them there. We are on a good run now, but if for example we put Martial up front for a few games and he played to his current level, then I would expect more dropped points to be honest.

To the point in bold: Arguably in the wrong positions

Martial I'm not as concerned about as he looks like he can naturally play on the wings and has done it for us last season (always carrys a threat when he cuts in from the left)

It's Rashford who is being shoehorned on the wings and it doesn't suit him
    When he blazed onto the scene against Arsenal it was up top where he done the damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Looks likely that Southampton are going to cash in on Virgil Van Dijk during the January window.Might be harsh to say it seeing as how well Rojo and Jones are doing at the moment (not forgetting Smalling either)....but Bailly and Van Dijk would make a great partnership for years to come.

Great on the ball and an actual goal threat from set pieces but I'm still not convinced on his defensive side of the game.

The father is a Celtic man and he always said he was ropey enough under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd give Rashford his go up front in the FA cup & the 2 legs of the league cup as they are all coming up soon. I wouldn't risk a league game as a starter in the coming weeks (unless it needs to happen) as we need the points but maybe if we are comfortable in one of the next 2 home games take off Zlatan soon after an hour and give him a 25 min go up front as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Great on the ball and an actual goal threat from set pieces but I'm still not convinced on his defensive side of the game.

The father is a Celtic man and he always said he was ropey enough under pressure.

You would hope that Mourinho and his coaches could work on the defensive side of his game,he reminds me a lot of Ronald Koeman,never seems rushed when on the ball.

Whenever Utd get back into Champions league I think you need at least one of your two centre backs to be able to play the ball out from the back effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Also Everton have been difficult to deal with in the transfer market over the last few years (and they are entitled to be like that). I wouldn't be in any rush to get a Depay/Schneiderlin deal done if Everton are actually interested.. on Jan 1st or anything unless they pay decent money. Drag it out :)

I would also prefer to sell Depay if possible. I see a loan as more than likely confirming his unsuitability to play in the PL than him proving anything. Schneiderlin to his old manager at Everton seems a good fit, make them pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not good news for James McCarthy to be honest. Barry may be old, but he signed an extension. And with the proposed arrival of Schneiderlin, I can't see him play much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if jones and rojo continue the way they are bailly/smalling will struggle to get their place back in the team

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we're sending Everton Depay and Schneid I'd try and get Gueye in return, classy little player gets through a lot of the dirty work.

Possibly aside from Lukaku he has been their best player this season, and they only signed him in the summer. Zero chance of him being let go for the sake of a couple of loan deals for players Utd don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

5starpool wrote: »
    Possibly aside from Lukaku he has been their best player this season, and they only signed him in the summer. Zero chance of him being let go for the sake of a couple of loan deals for players Utd don't want.

I don't think they're loan deals???

5starpool wrote: »

I'd still stay he's not the level of player we should be signing regardless. Squad players to replace squad players
    I'd also say these are permanent moves for both Morgan & Depay but who knows

morgan is moving on a permanent deal, spurs/everton are also in for depay so id say he is being sold as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Don't know if it's been posted

Take a look at @ManUtd's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/810541397480640514?s=09

Take a look at @ManUtd's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/810541397480640514?s=09

didnt think he would take to the premier league as quick as he would, an absolute world class player and has the physicality to match any defender in the league, without doubt the strongest player i have ever witnessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's funny to see kids like that completely forget how to function when they meet someone famous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Love his no nonsense style when asking the kid who he supports, "you can answer what ever you want, you don't have to worry about ..........them"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great stuff,a real class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's funny to see kids like that completely forget how to function when they meet someone famous!

Ha I have to say they are not many people that would have that affect on me but if I meet cantona I'd end up dribbling and probably same with ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

scudzilla wrote: »
    If we were to offload Depay/Shneiderlin/Fellaini how much would we get for the 3 of them? Must be touching 40mill, handy amount to put in the kitty

Can't see Fellani leaving this window, Jose isn't going to make wholesale changes to the squad mid-season.

If we get anything less than €40m for both Schneiderlin & Depay I'd consider it bad business.
    €20m for Fellani minimum if that happens.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ah right, last I heard they were being mooted as loans, but that was a while back. Either way, I don't see Everton getting rid of him, and conversely, as said here as well, I think ye could do better if ye were looking for a player like him. He's a decent player, but to do it for Utd consistently is a far different thing than he is used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

it would be nice to see united actually sell a player for what there worth for once. we have sold too many for under there value. RVP for 5 million was rediclous.

sky88 wrote: »
    it would be nice to see united actually sell a player for what there worth for once. we have sold too many for under there value. RVP for 5 million was rediclous.

Nani for 4.5, Hernandez for 7, Jonny Evans 6 million, Kagawa, Fletcher, Cleverly and Zaha all for either nothing or undisclosed fees of buttons no doubt.

We have definitely been a soft touch when it comes to sales recently.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ha I have to say they are not many people that would have that affect on me but if I meet cantona I'd end up dribbling and probably same with ronaldo.

met the great man on a beach in Majorca. Still have his autograph. legend

bangkok wrote: »

Somehow I knew you would. I heard you meet the Queen when sitting on your bog :)

Any update on miki ryan?

Somehow I knew you would. I heard you meet the Queen when sitting on your bog :)

ok i didnt meet him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

never met any players although i once spent 20 minutes in a bar trying to figure out who this guy was that i recognized but only figured when i left the bar that it was nicky butt.

• Advertisement

You're not under any obligation to of course, but since you said that you still have the autograph, sure post a photo of it. "Fúck you Boards...and that lanky poodle!" written on a sheet of paper beside the autograph will suffice as proof.

Only famous players I meet was few of the Southampton squad back in 95 or 96 I think it was. They played a friendly against waterford united in the rsc meet Le tissier and Bruce grobbelar it was around the time the match fixing was coming out in the papers and Bruce was getting dogs abuse.

For what it's worth pal you may very well of meet him but as u know I will always pull u up on any kind of running joke in regards to you so don't take it as offence or me calling you a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Steve Bruce opened a bookies in my home town in Tyrone in the mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Met a few of the Portuguese team in Dublin airport when i was a kid. Got a few autographs and then left them behind in Portugal :(

Also met Kieron Richardson in Alton Towers

My father met David Beckhams father :cool:

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    You're not under any obligation to of course, but since you said that you still have the autograph, sure post a photo of it. "Fúck you Boards...and that lanky poodle!" written on a sheet of paper beside the autograph will suffice as proof.

first of all im not sure where i have it right now and secondly i dont know how to post pictures on here

first of all im not sure where i have it right now and secondly i dont know how to post pictures on here

Easiest way is upload to http://imgur.com/
    Then just drop the pick into an image tag on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Swap it for a signed Fellani poster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Victor Lindelof is apparently close to signing for Utd from Benfica

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Also met Kieron Richardson in Alton Towers

Is that where he's working now? Can't say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement

Victor Lindelof is apparently close to signing for Utd from Benfica

Here is my up to the minute scout report

20161219_165743.pngupload an image

I found the ticket to the game i was sat beside matas father while looking for cantona autograph, courtesy of Antonio Valencia...

Is that where he's working now? Can't say I'm surprised.

Upgrade from Sunderland infairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I got a tour of OT from Martin Edwards, so I did.

I found the ticket to the game i was sat beside matas father while looking for cantona autograph, courtesy of Antonio Valencia...

Found a picture of the time I meet danny welbeck in tesco

BTL_o_RECAAAu_Nt_V.pngupload an image

Found a picture of the time I meet danny welbeck in tesco

BTL_o_RECAAAu_Nt_V.pngupload an image

Jay...sus :eek:

Just a suggestion if you had the means. More though what Jaycist (:pac:) said, it's all said in jest rather than calling you a fibber.

Haven't met a footballer myself in years, a few entertainment personalities through work and that's it. Started out young and wild-eyed with an autograph book when Steve Staunton did a signing in a local pub back around 1991. Grew old and jaded long since then. Recently, played a few songs in Ed Sheeran's impromptu backing band at a private function up North earlier this year. There were lads from Snow Patrol in the band too, with Courtney Cox in attendance. I pulled a Rooney and ended up having a few drinks with some of the guests once I clocked off, good night's craic.

The best of all though was one that I simply let go by - I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and Father Stone went by me in the street. Didn't make eye contact with him, didn't even consider approaching him least of all because I didn't know the man's name. It was stormy and cold outside, with no communication between Fr. Stone and I, just what I'd expect and it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't mean to brag but I saw Derek Davis in my local pub a number of years back.

He came in looking for a sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Got a selfie with LVG, Mata, Darmian. Does that count as meeting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Got a selfie with LVG, Mata, Darmian. Does that count as meeting them?

Absolutely, but if you don't post the pic now everyone will assume you're lying and your word will be worthless for ever more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement