Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jayop wrote: »
    Nah even most Liverpool fans don't get the Liverpool reaction is they come in to genuinely debate. Emmetkenny was in here a week back and had a good back and forth with no one frothing at the mouth. You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone else, and in fairness to you there's justification in what you say. Arsenal always finish in the top 4. However so did United (usually above arsenal) and that all changed a few years ago. The top four now is more competitive than ever and just thinking you'll get it because you always did is a huge folly.

Chelsea look like certs. Liverpool as much as it pains me have a great chance. Arsenal will be there or there abouts. City should be in there. United are getting closer.

5 can't go into 4 and one of those have to lose out and apart from Chelsea it could easily be any one of the other 4.

Bah, folly? More like depressed resignation.

I'm not jumping up and down here viewing we'll make the top four. We just will, we always do.

Utd did better than top four-they always competed. Then Fergie left.

Wenger will always get CL.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nah even most Liverpool fans don't get the Liverpool reaction is they come in to genuinely debate. Emmetkenny was in here a week back and had a good back and forth with no one frothing at the mouth. You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone else, and in fairness to you there's justification in what you say. Arsenal always finish in the top 4. However so did United (usually above arsenal) and that all changed a few years ago. The top four now is more competitive than ever and just thinking you'll get it because you always did is a huge folly.

Chelsea look like certs. Liverpool as much as it pains me have a great chance. Arsenal will be there or there abouts. City should be in there. United are getting closer.

5 can't go into 4 and one of those have to lose out and apart from Chelsea it could easily be any one of the other 4.

Don't forget about Spurs either. Not that impressive lately, but still only a point behind Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Heard that Middlesborough nearly singed Lindeloft last January for around 4 mill.

Ah it wouldn't be United signing under Woodward if we weren't paying massively over the odds.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

sky88 wrote: »
    ive just realised that jayop and jayo26 are two different posters :pac:

Who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

You'd have to assume someone is on the way out. We have 4/5 first team cb's now and this guy will be 6. Probably 2 too many.

To be honest with the injuries we seem to get we only ever have 2 or 3 fit which is a concern. With Bailly at the AFCON next month aswell I don't think anyone will move until the summer at the earliest. And the way Jones and Smalling seem to get injured it might be prudent to have 5 CBs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I just don't see spurs doing it this season. The other sides has their chance last year and took it. This year the big boys have reinforced their credentials.

I just don't see spurs doing it this season. The other sides has their chance last year and took it. This year the big boys have reinforced their credentials.

I can't believe I'm gonna disagree with myself but I think apart from Chelsea no other team has looked like a certain top four finisher they have all shown major flaws.

Liverpool are weak defensively and so are city not to mention the playing style is gonna see them caught out and arsenal look mentally vulnerable in my opinion and spurs look good but up and down form and we have been same too.

Anyone of them five teams are good enough to finish top fop four but they are also bad enough to fuk it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You'd have to assume someone is on the way out. We have 4/5 first team cb's now and this guy will be 6. Probably 2 too many.

Yep timing is strange considering the current backdrop.

Smalling must be bottom of the pecking order based on performances under Jose, but you'd image Rojo would be the player to miss out.

Its a transfer that makes more sense at the end of the season than January.

beno619 wrote: »
    Yep timing is strange considering the current backdrop.

Smalling must be bottom of the pecking order based on performances under Jose, but you'd image Rojo would be the player to miss out.

Its a transfer that makes more sense at the end of the season than January.

With Bailey going to afcon and his injury record this season it makes loads of sense I could see a cb coming in month ago.

Even if we don't use him much before now and end of season he will be aftergetting a six month start and full press season before next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Welcome to the club. I must be here over a year and i still get confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Found a previously unseen video of the pair of them in their youth..

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

gosplan wrote: »

I'm not jumping up and down here viewing we'll make the top four. We just will, we always do.

This is pure and utter nonsense to be honest.

Just because something has consistently happened in the past does not mean it will happen again. There are so many factors outside of Wenger's control.

You may very well make top 4, but there is no guarantees. This is looking like the most competitive top 4 battle in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont know mate, this year its closer between the top 6 teams than it ever has been, IMO.

I wouldnt nail anyone on for a top 4 finish just yet, its changing so much every 2 or 3 games.

Arsenal ahev had a 6 point swing against Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Pool and City, thats massive, it can happen again to any of the teams just as easily so I wouldnt be to quick to say where anyone is going to finish.

Arsenal and Utd have an easy run in their next 3 games, City and Pool play each other, as do Spurs and Chelsea so theres scope for the current sitaution to be drastically changed again in 3 games time.

The EPL may not be the best league in the world anymore but its bloody damn close between the top 6 sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If it's true would be nice to get business done early and out of the way.. especially with Bailly heading off in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont know mate, this year its closer between the top 6 teams than it ever has been, IMO.

I wouldnt nail anyone on for a top 4 finish just yet, its changing so much every 2 or 3 games.

Arsenal ahev had a 6 point swing against Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Pool and City, thats massive, it can happen again to any of the teams just as easily so I wouldnt be to quick to say where anyone is going to finish.

Arsenal and Utd have an easy run in their next 3 games, City and Pool play each other, as do Spurs and Chelsea so theres scope for the current sitaution to be drastically changed again in 3 games time.

The EPL may not be the best league in the world anymore but its bloody damn close between the top 6 sides.

As somebody said Spurs are only 1 point behind top 4, they got through their period without Kane, 1 win in 10 or something. They are just consistently boringly hard to beat even when playing badly and Kane makes them a realistic top 4 side. They really need to ignore the Europa Cup.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

There is absolutely no guarantees in the league leicester won the league last year and are in terrible form this season. the opposite for chelsea.

I think as well that all the top teams are one or two injurys away from real problems. The squads while good are not great.

K-9 wrote: »
    As somebody said Spurs are only 1 point behind top 4, they got through their period without Kane, 1 win in 10 or something. They are just consistently boringly hard to beat even when playing badly and Kane makes them a realistic top 4 side. They really need to ignore the Europa Cup.

Thats it, theyve the same amount of draws as Utd but they've left in 5 less and scored 5 more, Utds goal difference will have to improve and it probably will in time as it could be a deciding factor down the line.

I'm not sure about Spurs, between themselves and Utd they're probably the 2 favourites if they really want to win it, both are in touching distance of top 4 now but it could change in 2 months when the EL starts up again. I think Utds squad is better equipped for a challenge on both fronts more than Spurs but if Utd were bankers for top 4 they might sabotage the EL and go for it in the league.

There is absolutely no guarantees in the league leicester won the league last year and are in terrible form this season. the opposite for chelsea.

I think as well that all the top teams are one or two injurys away from real problems. The squads while good are not great.

Leicester and Chelsea type season where the champions and relegation fodder swap places so drastically will never happen again I'm willing to bet.

Hell, even Leicesters ascendancy to the title was largely down to every other good side being s**t for weeks on end while Leicester kept picking up points.

Spurs had a good few weeks at the turn of the year but faded so badly they finished 3rd, Arsenal had a good end to the season and caught Spurs to finish 2nd but in truth, every big team was woeful last year for far too long.

The squads and managers have changed, Klopp has a few months under his belt and more of his own players in and it shows.

Utd got in Jose and have started slow but are no showing good form over the last 4-6 weeks.

Arsenal started brilliantly but have done an Arsenal but can easily turn it back around.

City got Pep, spent money and were champions after about 5 or 6 games and have been derailed lately.

Chelsea have Conte who hit the ground running, had 3 bad results in a row and now are rattling off wins to bate the band.

I think of the current top 6, theres very little seperating all of them, the squad players could have a huge part to play as the very best player in each club are all of very similar standard.

As we're half way in and nobody knows whos going to take it from here, given the swings and roundabout results, it makes for good entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal will basically finish on mid 70 points. If I had to guess I'd say 76.

I guess it may not be enough for top four but I'd be very very surprised.

• Advertisement

Arsenal will basically finish on mid 70 points. If I had to guess I'd say 76.

I guess it may not be enough for top four but I'd be very very surprised.

Utd are 6pts clear of Southampton in 7th, barring a dramatic meltdown from someone in the current top 6, it does look like what we have is what we'll get.

As for the order, its impossible to call right now, lose 2 or 3 on the spin and you could be playing catch up for a few weeks so is the nature of how tight it is at the top.

Arsenal were talking about a title challenge 2 weeks agi now theyre finishing top 4.

Flip side of that is Utd look dead and buried 2 weeks ago and are only 4 pts off 4th now.

Things move very quickly in football, I wouldnt be writing anyone off just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »

M!Ck^ pretending to be me with the late news.:P:P

Madrid have had their 2 window ban reduced to one,that'll see James on the move in January now that they can sign players in the Summer.

zerks wrote: »
    M!Ck^ pretending to be me with the late news.:P:P

Not sure if posted :P
    But reports coming in that the transfer is done
    SSN say it's still in talks however

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure if posted :P
    But reports coming in that the transfer is done
    SSN say it's still in talks however

Seemingly this fella can play as a DM aswell,maybe Jose is covering all bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This is pure and utter nonsense to be honest.

Just because something has consistently happened in the past does not mean it will happen again. There are so many factors outside of Wenger's control.

You may very well make top 4, but there is no guarantees. This is looking like the most competitive top 4 battle in years.

Complete agree. Saying he "always" gets CL is not a good argument. Mourinho "always" got it until last season.

Here are 4 factors outside of Wenger's control: Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola and Conte.

Wenger has a good chance of getting CL again, but the competition has never been more intense.

Seemingly this fella can play as a DM aswell,maybe Jose is covering all bases.

Supposedly played RB for u21's too..

astradave wrote: »
    Supposedly played RB for u21's too..

Finally it sounds like we gonna replace John O'Shea

jayo26 wrote: »

Only if he can play in goal too.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »

All joking aside, a JoS style player that could give the same level of performance every game in all positions as John could is a godsend. He was a vital piece of arguably our greatest ever squad.

Fellaini photographed in Italy the morning after being linked with a move to one of the Milan clubs..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Fellaini photographed in Italy the morning after being linked with a move to one of the Milan clubs..........

I would be shocked if they let him go in jan with the amount of game time he has gotten

He might have request a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

astradave wrote: »
    He might have request a fresh start.

Might just want first team football

Might want not to be booed by his own support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Might want not to be booed by his own support.

Yeah would be really nice if they didn't do that.

I really don't want him to leave. Very solid and useful player.

I hate reading anything into transfer gossip but a young tall player who can play CB/DM could negate Fellainis spot on the bench and playing time to has most recently involved 10 minute cameos to see out games

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I read one report where it was said that Fellaini wants to leave, maybe the booing and being a scapegoat has been too much for him, maybe he wants a lot more game time.
    Whatever he does, I wish him all the best, whether he stays or goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Would prefer Fellaini to stay, but completely understand if he wants more game time and less booing from his own teams fans. Since he joined he's conducted himself very well and seems to enjoy being at the club. I think he gets more stick than he deserves because Moyes signed him. If he goes, the very best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

KH25 wrote: »
    Would prefer Fellaini to stay, but completely understand if he wants more game time and less booing from his own teams fans. Since he joined he's conducted himself very well and seems to enjoy being at the club. I think he gets more stick than he deserves because Moyes signed him. If he goes, the very best of luck to him.
    Just to balance this out, he hasn't actually conducted himself that well on the pitch on numerous occasions with some cowardly acts that have had the potential to impact us and on other occasions, actually have impacted us.

He has also not been a value signing for what we paid for him and has operated at a level below his Everton form, whether through tactics or whatever other reason you can think of.

At the end of the day he's a squad player, so I'll not cry if he's sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'd rather keep Schneiderlin than Fellaini.
    Schweinstiger needs to go if he's not going to playing with the wages he's on but you can understand if he didn't want to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just to balance this out, he hasn't actually conducted himself that well on the pitch on numerous occasions with some cowardly acts that have had the potential to impact us and on other occasions, actually have impacted us.

Has he conducted himself any worse the Keane did back in the day ?

Genuine question as im too young to have seen Keane in his pomp.

Are United not on TV at all over Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Are United not on TV at all over Christmas?

NYE Sky sports 5 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Keane was worse. But also one of our greatest players in history, so you forgave him those sins. Similar to Rooney.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    NYE Sky sports 5 3pm.

Ffs so the one game that I won't be at home for us on TV. Ball ache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

All joking aside, a JoS style player that could give the same level of performance every game in all positions as John could is a godsend. He was a vital piece of arguably our greatest ever squad.

Daley is IMO that exact kind of player, he can play across the back line and in MF too.

Very versatile player and very under rated I feel.

Keane never did it without reason he always knew what he was doing it was either to drive on the team or stamp his mark on an opponent or to gain revenge but fellaini looks like he could happy slap someone running around the pitch.

Eitherway Keane was one of the top top midfielders of his generation he was worth any extra agro up until near the time he was finished at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Keane was a warrior. Sometimes he seen the red mist and settled personal scores in a United jersey but you could get behind it.

I think Fellaini's reputation as a scummy player is very wide of the mark. I think it was only the one sending off(yes 1!) that made him look foolish. People overreacting to his "elbows" more than likely had an ulterior motive.

Liam O wrote: »
    Keane was a warrior. Sometimes he seen the red mist and settled personal scores in a United jersey but you could get behind it.

I think Fellaini's reputation as a scummy player is very wide of the mark. I think it was only the one sending off(yes 1!) that made him look foolish. People overreacting to his "elbows" more than likely had an ulterior motive.

No fellaini is a scummy kind of player when it comes to what he does. He will for no reason throw an elbow at someone's face it's not over exaggerated it's a fact he does it even if he only did it a few times its scummy but he has done it alot of times.

The fact he has only been sent off once is a testament as to how well he is able disguise what he does because of his hight. I don't mind fellaini in the club he has his uses but I won't overlook what he does because of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement