Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

That's why we have so many problems getting rid of squad players. They're on more money that the top earners at most clubs.

If he had any ambition he would be looking to get out and go to a club where he would get some game time for the coupe of years he has left in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

His release clause is €100m / £85m. Pogba cost €105m / £89m. It's basically the same fee.

What's €5/£4 million between friends ..

Could you loan me that seeing as its loose change to you ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

brinty wrote: »
    What's €5/£4 million between friends ..

Could you loan me that seeing as its loose change to you ;)

We're talking about Man Utd. The club that paid £4m more for Felliani that they needed to. It is loose change them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Telegraph saying West Brom are also after Morgan, saying an £18m bid has been lodged.

stankratz wrote: »
    Hopefully Young stays. Absolutely no reason to be getting rid of a player who seems content to be a squad player for us, and is a good squad player at that. If the club needs to sell Ashley Young to fund new players I'd be shocked.

He's on over 100k per week apparently. Even Utd have to think about the wage bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

He's on over 100k per week apparently. Even Utd have to think about the wage bill.

In fairness to Young, iirc he took a pay cut to extend his last contract in 2015? Whilst I agree that he is probably still underpaid, I don't always agree that it shows a lack of ambition if players at that stage of their career don't leave for a lower club to get first team football. In Young's case, I think he genuinely loves playing for and being part of the club even if that means a bit part role. His option would probably be a team like Stoke or West Brom if he left, a step down for sure even if it means more game time.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Think I remember reading that young is on big wages. Let him off .. he is so far down the pecking order he is not going to get any game time

He has though, as recent as a start vs Zorya on December 8th and starts in the league away v Swansea and Liverpool. 9 appearances in total, he's a grand squad player to have.

If he's on £100k-110k per week that is not ideal, around £6.5m a year. Would we get a decent squad replacement for even twice that sum in January though, stretch it out to £15m? Plus there would be the new player's salary to account for also.

Unless Young is pushing for a move, I would not be advocating his sale in January at all. His situation is fine for now and I would only like to see Jose make very slight adjustments to his squad in January, leaving the rest until Summer when he said himself in the videos above there is "more stability, more time, more choice."

With the team advancing in the Europa, the EFL, and hopefully the FA Cup soon, I think it is important to hold onto as much of the squad as possible until Summer.

Thats mad I never even considered top managers going to China, probably as it didnt happen in any other player booms like USA or Russia namely. China blows it out of the water but Im guessing it takes a certain character to become a top manger and moving for the loots is below competing at the highest level.

Although I do get most of the top managers are in England for the money it comes with the prestige aswell

I agree that they have to think about the wage bill overall. I was replying to the implication that the club would need to to sell Young in January in order to free up funds to make a purchase. I highly doubt that is the case.

The transfer fees we have seen but the wages are only starting, bar a youngster what is any new signing for United likely to be on at the lowest ebb. Like a backup player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Robson99 wrote: »
    If he had any ambition he would be looking to get out and go to a club where he would get some game time for the coupe of years he has left in him

Part of United's strength (and any big clubs) is they have squad players who would easily hold down first team places in other teams in the same league. Don't knock players whose highest ambition is met by competing for a place in United's XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Young can play right back, left back, left wing, right wing and doesn't moan at being a squad player.

Keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Someone specifically called Ibra, Pogba, Mhiki and Bailly? And only them? That would have been impressive anyway.

Was that the Italian journo, Di Marzio or something?

Young can play right back, left back, left wing, right wing and doesn't moan at being a squad player.

Keep him

Also striker but no chance under LVG for goalie :D

As a third choice who can fill so many positions I agree.

We talked about JOS today Young is our third choice JOS* and took a pay cut to be at the club

*JOS did play different positions

he never lacks effort when he plays and does a job, for a third choice what more can you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

His release clause is €100m / £85m. Pogba cost €105m / £89m. It's basically the same fee.

Bargain!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Who cares how much he is on, how dedicated he is, or how many positions he can cover. Its obvious Mourinho doesn't want certain players anymore as he doesn't use them. Thats Jose's way of saying to Ashley Young, Morgan Schneiderlin, Memphis Depay, and Bastian Schweinstegger that if they stick around they won't be playing. Id rather sell them now for the highest value before they rot, then hopefully buy or promote young players to fill the role they currently have of sitting in the stands on match days.

I like Young but Jose doesn't seem to think so. So sell him on before we get nothing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

GSPfan wrote: »
    Who cares how much he is on, how dedicated he is, or how many positions he can cover. Its obvious Mourinho doesn't want certain players anymore as he doesn't use them. Thats Jose's way of saying to Ashley Young, Morgan Schneiderlin, Memphis Depay, and Bastian Schweinstegger that if they stick around they won't be playing. Id rather sell them now for the highest value before they rot, then hopefully buy or promote young players to fill the role they currently have of sitting in the stands on match days.

I like Young but Jose doesn't seem to think so. So sell him on before we get nothing for him.
    That's all very fine sentiments, so long as we throw Fellaini in with that lot. It's a pity Schneiderlin didn't get an opportunity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

18 million bid for Sneiderlin from West Brom according to sky sources! Julian asange would be proud of us!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

secman wrote: »
    That's all very fine sentiments, so long as we throw Fellaini in with that lot. It's a pity Schneiderlin didn't get an opportunity though.

Mourinho seems to like Fellaini as he plays him regularly so unless Fellaini wants to move I doubt Mourinho is trying to push him out like he is with the others.

GSPfan wrote: »

You are missing the point. you are not going to get to replace Young with a quality player who is willing to sit on the bench for 70% of the year.
    You need players like him when you get injuries / need an impact off the bench.
    He's good enough to create something and can score a goal we know that as we have all witnessed it. He's never moaned or complained when he doesn't play either. A great player to have around.
    It's all well and good saying we want to promote youth to the bench but needs to be a blend of both youth and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't see the need to get rid of young even the likes of barca have players that are not very good but as has been said already are happy to sit on the bench and do a job when needed.

Yes we could use the space to give it too a kid but young is experienced and if needed to play in one of five positions in a bit game we have no one else like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I disagree about the 6-8 games, I don't think he ever played that many and certainly not in a sustained run. My recollection is that he played there a few times in between games covering at full back, though my memory could be faulty and I'm not about to go and research it.

I also have to disagree with the second paragraph for one glaring reason, if a few games are enough to tell whether a player has the basic skills for a role then what about excelling for a full season in that role for a major European club?

Which comes back to my original point, Blind performed the defensive midfield role for Ajax so well he was named the Dutch footballer of the year yet he seemingly isn't an option whatsoever in that role for us. We don't even try him there and haven't for the guts of two years now despite it being a role we actively need to fill. Its just rather strange.

I had a quick look and he definitely played at least 7 games in a row as a midfielder early on in the 2014/15 season. Carrick then came back from injury and displaced him there and looked an instant upgrade.

I didn't watch him at Ajax and don't know much about the league. But I'm going to assume (based on his ability) that he excelled there because the conditions within the league suited him (played for a highly dominant team - opposition were likely to have regularly sat back which allowed him time and space in CM + the general quality of CM he was up against was much poorer than what you face in the PL)

So in essence, I wouldn't take him being player of the year in midfield for Ajax as necessary proof that he can do it for a major club in a major league with big aspirations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Memphis was also a beast in Holland.

Its clearly a much lower standard league.

3043463600000578-3403653-image-a-55_1453048034825.jpg

Never forget

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ashley Young is as close as you can get to a model squad player in terms of versatility, performance and attitude. Would hate to see him leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When Darren Fletcher just started his 70th premier league game in a row it must make someone like Young think he would be better iff at a West Brom.

Would like him to stay but happy for him to actually play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

DM_7 wrote: »
    When Darren Fletcher just started his 70th premier league game in a row it must make someone like Young think he would be better iff at a West Brom.

Would like him to stay but happy for him to actually play.

Didnt even think fletcher was gone long enough to play 70 games striaght

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

DM_7 wrote:

Some turn around for fletcher on a personal level.

From looking like he may never recover to play professional football again, to come through a run of 70 straight games like that is unbelievable.

Delighted for him, he's always struck me as a really nice person and a consummate professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's good enough to create something and can score a goal we know that as we have all witnessed it.

We haven't witnessed it that often in fairness, I think he has only 5 goals in his United career.

I agree that he is fine in terms of versatile squad cover but we wouldn't particularly miss him and as he ages we will need to replace him at some point anyway. Add in the fact that he is on big wages and I wouldn't be too shocked to see him leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

In Jose I trust...

Position we are in we are unlucky.

In Jose I trust...

New Star Wars movie, you just saw? :pac:

Ah he's class though.

In Jose I trust...

I don't think we're unlucky. We are where we are because of our results, now individually we may have been unlucky in a game but ultimately it's been down to not finishing our chances that's not all about luck we just need to be more clinical in front of goal.

I found that Jose interview which I was looking for yesterday. Decent watch, hopefully it doesn't get pulled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You are missing the point. you are not going to get to replace Young with a quality player who is willing to sit on the bench for 70% of the year.
    You need players like him when you get injuries / need an impact off the bench.
    He's good enough to create something and can score a goal we know that as we have all witnessed it. He's never moaned or complained when he doesn't play either. A great player to have around.
    It's all well and good saying we want to promote youth to the bench but needs to be a blend of both youth and experience.

Doesn't say much for a player who's happy just to be in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Doesn't say much for a player who's happy just to be in the squad.

Yes it does. He wants to play for a team he loves instead of ****ing off to China for 100000000k a week

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    So in essence, I wouldn't take him being player of the year in midfield for Ajax as necessary proof that he can do it for a major club in a major league with big aspirations.

I don't say that its proof, but you can't just dismiss Ajax as some minor team in a minor league with no relevance to the mighty Premier league, for every Depay or Babel there is a Van Nistlerooy or Suarez, its still a top European league with a high professional standard. No, his performances at Ajax aren't proof but they are solid evidence of potential in that role, a potential that really hasn't been explored at all.

I still think its strange, we need a defensive midfielder, we have a guy already on our books who was the player of the season in a top European league as a defensive midfielder and yet he is seemingly not an option.

To be honest, I think Van Gaal would have played him there except Van Gaal was up his own hole and wanted to pretend Blind was a certain type of ball playing defender. And I think Jose simply doesn't rate his character so isn't particularly interested in playing him at all never mind integrating him into a vital position. So I guess thats why I think he doesn't play there, and so I don't think it has much to do with his ability to play the role at all, I think he could do the job pretty well if given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Yes it does. He wants to play for a team he loves instead of ****ing off to China for 100000000k a week

Ashley Young is or was on over 100k for years at Utd. He wouldn't get close to that at any other premier league club, to put into perspective, alexis Sanchez is on 130k a week

Good interview from jose.

bangkok wrote: »
    Ashley Young is or was on over 100k for years at Utd. He wouldn't get close to that at any other premier league club, to put into perspective, alexis Sanchez is on 130k a week

Are you paying the wages? Sounds like it.

He drinks with the head of accounts for united.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    He drinks with the head of accounts for united.

Haha tough Christmas paying that 100k off in early December for Young's presents.

Haha tough Christmas paying that 100k off in early December for Young's presents.

Its £110,000. And not just early December, thats every week, so around £440000 in December. Which I guess is nearly £6 million for the year. Plus a few bonus's but he doesn't score much and rarely gets an assist so they might not be to much.

But sure what odds, its only money isn't it. And sure why the hell would fans care about what happens at the club.

Its £110,000. And not just early December, thats every week, so around £440000 in December. Which I guess is nearly £6 million for the year. Plus a few bonus's but he doesn't score much and rarely gets an assist so they might not be to much.

But sure what odds, its only money isn't it. And sure why the hell would fans care about what happens at the club.

LOL, and who is this replacement we are going to sign? Does he accept food stamps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »

Sanchez should get a better agent then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beno619 wrote: »
    Sanchez should get a better agent then.

I'd really love if we tried to nab Sanchez with a bumper contract. He's an incredible player, and I'd absolutely love seeing him in a United shirt.

He doesn't play. If he wasn't so satisfied at being a squad player he might start challenging for a starting berth or playing week in, week out at another club and fulfilling his potential.

Don't get me wrong, I think Young is useful to have but I'd be wary of any satisfied squad players.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd really love if we tried to nab Sanchez with a bumper contract. He's an incredible player, and I'd absolutely love seeing him in a United shirt.

Fergie was in for him when he left Udinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sanchez will more than likely be sold on the cheap to Madrid next summer with a year left on his contract, if he signs a contract with Arsenal he really has no ambition.

LOL, and who is this replacement we are going to sign? Does he accept food stamps?

Well thats the goalposts moved to the opposite corner, but since you ask I would note that £110000 per week would get you quite a few good squad players, and certainly a few that might average more than one goal per season.

But since Young seems to spend more time in defence these days I would suggest that his role as back up full back or hard working midfielder could easily be filled by a certain Mr Fosuh-Mensah, for whom many in here seem to lament the lack of game time.

If you would rather insist that Mr "I don't score goals" Young is a vital option up front I would point out that we already have a younger version of him in the squad in the form of Jesse Lingard.

Imagine that, 6 million a year saved and two younger players getting the games instead, what a horrible deal that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No the club are, my point was he was still on mega money at United so he is probably happy even if he is not playing, a bit like Scott Sinclair when he moved to city

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement