Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think this sums up my mood today when I heard the managerial sacking announcement

giphy.gif

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have been beaten just once in the last 2 months, you get the feeling things are slowly taking shape.

Spots 5-2 are very fragile at the moment, any of those teams could have a rough period but it will mean nothing if we don't make the most out of the fixtures we have over the next month.

Arsenal looked well clear or us and now are a one game swing from us breathing down their neck. Liverpool are 7 points ahead a two game swing to get us within touching distance and they play City and us in the next 4. Chelsea will surely feel the heat at some stage, I can't see it being another front running title winner this season.

Staying consistent is the key, start dropping points again and we won't have a chance.

I don't say that its proof, but you can't just dismiss Ajax as some minor team in a minor league with no relevance to the mighty Premier league, for every Depay or Babel there is a Van Nistlerooy or Suarez, its still a top European league with a high professional standard. No, his performances at Ajax aren't proof but they are solid evidence of potential in that role, a potential that really hasn't been explored at all.

I still think its strange, we need a defensive midfielder, we have a guy already on our books who was the player of the season in a top European league as a defensive midfielder and yet he is seemingly not an option.

To be honest, I think Van Gaal would have played him there except Van Gaal was up his own hole and wanted to pretend Blind was a certain type of ball playing defender. And I think Jose simply doesn't rate his character so isn't particularly interested in playing him at all never mind integrating him into a vital position. So I guess thats why I think he doesn't play there, and so I don't think it has much to do with his ability to play the role at all, I think he could do the job pretty well if given the chance.

We dont know but its fair to say LVG bought Blind to play him in he position he first used him and then never really played him there after.

We also Jose has been tinkering with his midfield most of the season but has never played Blind there.

Sure you could argue the given the chance line...

But given the manager who bought him didnt fancy him for it and Jose who played him in many games at CB at the start didnt fancy for him for it. I'd be going with the concensus.

Im not saying it shouldnt be discussed but I do think its an impossible task for us to gauge as we never see him played there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Well thats the goalposts moved to the opposite corner, but since you ask I would note that £110000 per week would get you quite a few good squad players, and certainly a few that might average more than one goal per season.

But since Young seems to spend more time in defence these days I would suggest that his role as back up full back or hard working midfielder could easily be filled by a certain Mr Fosuh-Mensah, for whom many in here seem to lament the lack of game time.

If you would rather insist that Mr "I don't score goals" Young is a vital option up front I would point out that we already have a younger version of him in the squad in the form of Jesse Lingard.

Imagine that, 6 million a year saved and two younger players getting the games instead, what a horrible deal that would be.

Thats a decent shout. Would you cover 20/30 k in wages too, considering the youth on the verge looking for more time id go for it.

10 years ago today, Paul Scholes did this...

Ronaldo's reaction says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

10 years!! Makes me feel young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

stankratz wrote: »
    10 years ago today, Paul Scholes did this...

Ronaldo's reaction says it all.

Still one of my favorite goals from United by my favorite player. Makes me sad looking at that team and its 'only' 10 years ago. I suppose that's a long time in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Scholesy, what a man he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Even my 'pool mates acknowledge how good the man was, and that says a LOT.

As Fergie says, negotiating with the likes of him and the Neville's won't happen again in football because of agents. From memory the quote was 'his jacket was still on when he came into my office to sign the extension'. Memory sucks so might have that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As someone with bad knees, the idea of standing for two hours seems like a right killer :P
    But I know a lot of people seem very passionate about the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't say that its proof, but you can't just dismiss Ajax as some minor team in a minor league with no relevance to the mighty Premier league, for every Depay or Babel there is a Van Nistlerooy or Suarez, its still a top European league with a high professional standard. No, his performances at Ajax aren't proof but they are solid evidence of potential in that role, a potential that really hasn't been explored at all.

I still think its strange, we need a defensive midfielder, we have a guy already on our books who was the player of the season in a top European league as a defensive midfielder and yet he is seemingly not an option.

To be honest, I think Van Gaal would have played him there except Van Gaal was up his own hole and wanted to pretend Blind was a certain type of ball playing defender. And I think Jose simply doesn't rate his character so isn't particularly interested in playing him at all never mind integrating him into a vital position. So I guess thats why I think he doesn't play there, and so I don't think it has much to do with his ability to play the role at all, I think he could do the job pretty well if given the chance.

I fundamentally disagree with your assertions that I've highlighted in bold.

1) I think Blind in midfield has been explored. Maybe not as much as you'd like or remember. But for me, 7 games in a row in the position and fleeting appearances here and there in the role is enough for me to make a judgement.

2) I don't watch the Eredivisie but to refer to it as a 'top European League' implies that it's somewhat on par with the actual top European Leagues (La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A) when the reality is that there's quite a gap that exists there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Blatter wrote: »

1) I think Blind in midfield has been explored. Maybe not as much as you'd like or remember. But for me, 7 games in a row in the position and fleeting appearances here and there in the role is enough for me to make a judgement.

2) I don't watch the Eredivisie but to refer to it as a 'top European League' implies that it's somewhat on par with the actual top European Leagues (La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A) when the reality is that there's quite a gap that exists there.

if you dont watch a leeague can you really comment on the quality of it. for example i dont watch Bundesliga, Serie A and im cant really comment on the entire league from the teams i see in europe.

7 games in a struggling team at the time 2 years ago cant really get a grasp weather he would be good there. i think jose would be foolish not to at least try him there when carrick needs a rest especally considering that we dont have midfielders who suit that role.

If I don't get to say it in the next few days, Happy Xmas to you and all your families! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Blatter wrote: »

I too would like to see Blind playing again at center mid. I think he has all, or most, of the attributes that Carrick uses in his role.

I disagree that 7 appearances in a row, a few years ago, as a 23 year old at a new club and country, in a struggling LVG system (possibly playing 3-5-2 for some of these games?), is enough of a chance.

It was said he was " found out positionally" in that position by someone in a previous post. But I think his reading of the game and positional sense have been his best attributes as a CB, it's why he has done so well there, I don't see any reason he can't continue that as a deep lying midfielder.

As for it not being in Jose's mind to play him there, that may be true, but we can't know for certain. We have plenty of options in that role at the moment, and Blind has been required to cover at LB and CB with injuries a lot this year.
    But with a fit defence, and the Schmidfield and Fellaini all potentials sales, the chance for him to fill in there may arise.

I'd be quite happy to see it if it did anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Shame that our game vs Sunderland isnt on tv.

I wish MUTV would show games that arnt available on other tv stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/812240363670896640

The BBC confirming WBA have bid for Schneiderlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jaysus lads, Oscar going to China for £60m. Wonder if they would like Depay aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pep Guardiola said to want Griezmann, but at least that will never happen as I am sure United and Griezmann want each other.

Speaking of City, remember they have new signing Gabriel Jesus joining them after Christmas, and he could possibly make a big difference for them, but maybe not, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Here is Pogba and Griezmann having fun.

https://twitter.com/semperfiunited/status/811698619774541825

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, Oscar going to China for £60m. Wonder if they would like Depay aswell.

if depay was brazilian they would have him in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    if depay was any good they would have him in a heartbeat

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pep Guardiola said to want Griezmann, but at least that will never happen as I am sure United and Griezmann want each other.

Speaking of City, remember they have new signing Gabriel Jesus joining them after Christmas, and he could possibly make a big difference for them, but maybe not, who knows.

Maybe Jesus can resurrect Gundogan after his recent tragic passing, as remembered by the City team wearing his shirt last week.

RobertKK wrote: »

From what I seen of him for Brazil the kid has potential to be a superstar but it's a lot to ask him to come in and make a difference this year and I don't think city have much of a problem in attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    From what I seen of him for Brazil the kid has potential to be a superstar but it's a lot to ask him to come in and make a difference this year and I don't think city have much of a problem in attack.

Yep he looks class alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd really love if we tried to nab Sanchez with a bumper contract. He's an incredible player, and I'd absolutely love seeing him in a United shirt.

Wenger/Arsenal board need to get with the times and offer him what he's worth in the market or somebody else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/812282496914194433

Fully fit squad apart from Shaw.. Jose also says he in nearly back..

Morgan has asked to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

That's Morgan definitely gone in Jan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Loved the way he said the fixtures are meant to help some and hinder others. Also loved the sly way he said we've had no penalties compared to others by saying Ibra's goals record is even more impressive as they've had 1 penalty in 17 games.

<3 Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

A very very drunk man told me I look Juan last week. It was the proudest moment of my life.

Ps I look nothing like Juan the beer goggles were strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

sky88 wrote: »
    A very very drunk man told me I look Juan last week. It was the proudest moment of my life.

Ps I look nothing like Juan the beer goggles were strong.

Pics or GTFO :D

:pac:

Pics or GTFO :D

:pac:

You sound like a female brinty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/812282496914194433

Fully fit squad apart from Shaw.. Jose also says he in nearly back..
    200_s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sad to see Schneiderlin going,hope we get as much of a fee as possible for him.

Sad to see Schneiderlin going,hope we get as much of a fee as possible for him.
    It's more of a worry for me that we didn't give him a proper chance. I'll be regretful if he does the business somewhere else, but at the moment he has to go.

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/812364935250530304

Everton offer 40m gbp for Depay and Schneiderlin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

20m each for two players who aren't even making the bench would be really good imo.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/812364935250530304

Everton offer 40m gbp for Depay and Schneiderlin.

I'd take that or else try get lukaku

I'd prefer 20m and Coleman especially if we are thought to be going for Griezmann in the summer

I'd prefer 20m and Coleman especially if we are thought to be going for Griezmann in the summer

True too but Coleman wouldn't excite me as much as lukaku would.

The only reservation I'd have would be allowing depay go without buyback option because he has undoubted Tallent that may shine with the right environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

40m and a buy on clause would do very nicely.

**** Lukaku

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

That would be class. I'd push them for 50 though

• Advertisement

**** Lukaku

No thanks but your more then welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We don't need Lukaku and plus I would have my doubts about him anyway

Everton don't really have anyone good enough for utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Unpopular opinion of the day - Don't see the big fuss over Coleman at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Unpopular opinion of the day - Don't see the big fuss over Coleman at all.

Same. Or Lukaku, despite his goals record I just don't rate him for some reason or think that he would succeed at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Same. Or Lukaku, despite his goals record I just don't rate him for some reason or think that he would succeed at United.

Be all about dat Griezmann.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement