Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

edgecutter wrote: »
    Jose must be, as there is talk of Rooney being dropped for Saturday.

Anyway, Rooney should know better. We have a massive game for our new manager which is make or break regarding our season and this idiot can't even go to bed on time. Alcohol affects recovery and it gets harder when your ageing, but Captain Fantastic just has to have a few beers (or 3 bottles of wine).

This is a guy whose body is deteriorating, and yet he is doing nothing to slow the approach. Ryan Giggs gave up bread and butter just to prolong his career.

Also, why are people apologising for him? I could understand if this was end of a season and he was celebrating a trophy, but we are in November floundering around mid table. This guy is paid huge amounts of money to look after himself and he isn't doing it.

Wouldn't be surprised IF behind closed doors that José threw/throws a complete **** fit and he'd be justified to throw it, his captain, the club's highest paid player going out and getting bollixed with the F.A's permission and not looking like he gives 2 flying ****s..

I'd say Rooney just doesn't care anymore and is happy resting on his laurels and what he's achieved in his career.. Sooner he's shipped off, the ****ing better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised IF behind closed doors that José threw/throws a complete **** fit and he'd be justified to throw it, his captain, the club's highest paid player going out and getting bollixed with the F.A's permission and not looking like he gives 2 flying ****s..

I'd say Rooney just doesn't care anymore and is happy resting on his laurels and what he's achieved in his career.. Sooner he's shipped off, the ****ing better..

I always got the feeling Rooney resented having to make sacrifices for his career. Coming back to pre-season overweight, etc and seeming to be not embarrassed about it. Imagine Ronaldo doing that.

If I get pissed drunk, I wouldn't be right for 3 days. I wouldn't dare risk it if I was a professional footballer.

I always got the feeling Rooney resented having to make sacrifices for his career. Coming back to pre-season overweight, etc and seeming to be not embarrassed about it. Imagine Ronaldo doing that.

If I get pissed drunk, I wouldn't be right for 3 days. I wouldn't dare risk it if I was a professional footballer.

Well such sacrifices have to be made if ya want to make it as a footballer, clearly Rooney didn't get that message, or if he did scant attention was paid to it.. Ronaldo, if he did it, would be in the gym constantly trying to get back in shape..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Well such sacrifices have to be made if ya want to make it as a footballer, clearly Rooney didn't get that message, or if he did scant attention was paid to it.. Ronaldo, if he did it, would be in the gym constantly trying to get back in shape..

You would swear he was a failure he has spent 15 years as a professional athlete he has achieved more in the game then 99 percent of people that get paid to play the game can ever achieve.

Yeh he went for few drinks and got a bit drunk big deal and maybe he has given up on his career but no matter what No1 can take away what the man has achieved and compaired to Owen and fowler and Joe Cole and other young teenage stars he has lasted alot longer then most others.

I may not like where Wayne Rooney is now but il never belittle what he has achieved for the club and I only hope he breaks the record before he is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    You would swear he was a failure he has spent 15 years as a professional athlete he has achieved more in the game then 99 percent of people that get paid to play the game can ever achieve.

Yeh he went for few drinks and got a bit drunk big deal and maybe he has given up on his career but no matter what No1 can take away what the man has achieved and compaired to Owen and fowler and Joe Cole and other young teenage stars he has lasted alot longer then most others.

I may not like where Wayne Rooney is now but il never belittle what he has achieved for the club and I only hope he breaks the record before he is finished.

Thats nice and all, but who actually said otherwise?

Nobody will take away what he has achieved in the past, but the pertinent question is what he might achieve in the future and a hugely significant factor in that regard is his lifestyle and how it might affect his physical ability to perform. People already have their doubts about his lifestyle, evidence of mid-season binge drinking simply reinforces those doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ok, like I said, I don't know much about footballer's lives outside of the sport, while you seem to/claim to know much more than I. IF Rooney was as drunk as the photographs suggest, and such drinking was deemed acceptable, football is extraordinarily far behind other sports in terms of sports science.

It's funny actually, United spent 10m pound on their sports science department a few years ago and probably have had more injuries than any other club in the league since. Players are such finally tuned athletes that the slightest thing and they are out injured for a game nowadays

bangkok wrote: »
    It's funny actually, United spent 10m pound on their sports science department a few years ago and probably have had more injuries than any other club in the league since. Players are such finally tuned athletes that the slightest thing and they are out injured for a game nowadays

Like a feed of pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Like a feed of pints?

Never stopped Norman Whiteside or Paul McGrath... Oh hang on...

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thats nice and all, but who actually said otherwise?

Nobody will take away what he has achieved in the past, but the pertinent question is what he might achieve in the future and a hugely significant factor in that regard is his lifestyle and how it might affect his physical ability to perform. People already have their doubts about his lifestyle, evidence of mid-season binge drinking simply reinforces those doubts.
    Well such sacrifices have to be made if ya want to make it as a footballer, clearly Rooney didn't get that message, or if he did scant attention was paid to it...

This is what I quoted and this is what I was replying too and it's common tone in the thread everytime rooney is been discussed.

A few pints are not going to harm rooneys future career lets call a spade a spade its been on the way down for a past number of years but he has lasted well not everyone is a giggs or Zlatan one of the greatest places ever is brazilian ronaldo or Ronaldinho and they didn't last as long at the top as Wayne has .

You acuse the man of binge drinking how do you know what he has drank? He is obviously worse for ware but do you know how easy it is to be a bit fuked after a few pints if you ain't used to doing it he could of got that way from having a few glasses of wine that's all the man has done is had a few drinks in a perfect world he wouldn't need to have a few pints to let his hair down and relax but he choose to do it when he doesn't have a game for another week.

You acuse the man of binge drinking how do you know what he has drank? He is obviously worse for ware but do you know how easy it is to be a bit fuked after a few pints if you ain't used to doing it

You ask how do I know what he drank and then you pretty much describe what binge drinking is...

Look, my point was pretty simple and it still remains. If Rooney wanted to regain past glories, if he wanted to stay at the top level and be successful then he really needs to be looking after himself, he doesn't have the physique to do otherwise. And nights like the one in question demonstrate that in fact he isn't doing that, he isn't looking after himself to the best of his ability.

So be it, if he doesn't want it enough then thats his choice. Like I say, there are always lesser clubs where he can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Seen earlier that Wenger has only beaten Jose once and never in the league.

I fear that could change after Saturday.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I hope he doesnt
    Bobby Charlton is a club legend. Rooney never will be imo. Just a greedy Scouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ronaldo doesn't drink as his father was an alcoholic and died when Ronaldo was 20.

What do you think of other players who drink orsmoke, players like zidane, Ronaldinho, messi, Roy Keane etc.

A few pints on a Saturday night a week before another game is nothing. Big deal being made over nothing

I go to the pub at 10, have a few pints and I'd be home at 12.30

5am is a whole different ball game.

How do you know he was **** faced? Were you there?

Its fitting that you state this but have been giving the inside track on how many parties the club organise and how the club let him out.

In your own words...how do you know....have you had a chat with Jose

I go to the pub at 10, have a few pints and I'd be home at 12.30

5am is a whole different ball game.

Closing time in an Irish pub is 12.30 unless they have a late bar. Rooney was just after playing a game at Wembley, probably left the stadium close to 11. Got back to the hotel in London traffic probably took over an hour, had a meal, probably didn't start drinking until 1 o clock. It was also the sun newspaper that ran with the story, he probably finished drinking at 4, 3 hours having a few beers in the hotel with another senior player and some members of the FA. Took a few photos with the wedding party and gave an England top to a guest at the wedding.

I say fair play to him, we always give out that players don't mix with fans, when he does he gets slated for it.

I'd like to know what the other 10 players that went into the city nightclubbing got up to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sooooooo is there a game this weekend or are we just going to discuss how many tins Rooney had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probably will. We've been breaking all the wrong kinds of records over the last few years.

I'd be happy enough to see the goal-scoring record stay with Charlton. Would have loved to see Rooney crash through it a few seasons ago, but at this stage he's just going to crawl over the line once he's given enough games.

Of course it was Rooney's hard work and outstanding goals in his first 8-9 years at United which have put him in a position to be able to crawl through the record. Going on those years Rooney deserves it, but overall and taking the last few years into account, I'd rather see it stay with Charlton.

Still though, Rooney and therefore United scoring in the present means more to me in the grand scheme of things, so I won't fret over the record too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When I look at the team that beat Arsenal 8-2 I always have hope.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Probably will. We've been breaking all the wrong kinds of records over the last few years.

I am Quietly confident. Bar the city game where he changed it at half time we've been pod against the better teams. Liverpool :)

I don't count Chelsea as **** goes out the window when you concede a goal after 1 minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I am Quietly confident. Bar the city game where he changed it at half time we've been pod against the better teams. Liverpool :)

I don't count Chelsea as **** goes out the window when you concede a goal after 1 minute

Erm lost to Chelsea and City, got a point against Liverpool, who are the better teams you talk of? Maybe your post was in jest? You're quietly confident with a capital Q, another joke perhaps? Pod? I definitely don't get that? Are you beveraging?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Robson99 wrote: »
    I hope he doesnt
    Bobby Charlton is a club legend. Rooney never will be imo. Just a greedy Scouser

Rooney has been a United legend for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Rooney has been a United legend for a long time now.

Nope he hasn't. He'll never be held in the same regard as players like Scholes, Charlton or Giggs. In fact he won't be anywhere near the Beckham's or even Ronaldo. He burnt his bridges a long time ago with th majority of match going fans. Record or not.

He's achieved great things but I feel the majority would agree with me here, his behaviour has removed the legend status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Investigating claims he came back after he was told to go to bed.... absolute lol.

Who gives a ****. He was drunk end of story.

• Advertisement

The FA are investigating claims Chris Smalling emptied a box of Weetabix in his hotel room after Southgate said only Nestle cereals were allowed on Tuesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

"Your drunk Rooney, go to bed"

"Get out of my room, Rooney"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Hello Zerks

I hacked into M!Ck^s account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hacked into M!Ck^s account

You know your late when Headshot is getting that joke in :D

Some pass tbh. Feel he is starting to find his feet after the slow start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Amazing that anyone can say Ronaldo is a club legend and Rooney isn't. One of the most crazy biased statements I've ever heard.

I've read some funny stuff in my almost 4 years on Boards, but Rooney + United legend in the same sentence, that just takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've read some funny stuff in my almost 4 years on Boards, but Rooney + United legend in the same sentence, that just takes the biscuit.

Whilst I don't seem him as a club legend personally, if he does beat the goals record it would be hard to deny.

Legend is one of these words that was been confused over the years by its over use.

Rooney will be a legend as he will be talked about for years and years after he has left or retired he will be our 2nd or 1st highest scorer

Respect admiration or likeability is what I think we are calling into question and no I dont think he has that from all to most fans.

Id prefer Bobby to keep the record but if Rooney scores enough goals to say win us a trophy this year I'll forgo that

I dont particualry like Rooney but there is no doubt in my mind he wil be talked about for a long time and has done some amazing things for this club hence legendary status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not at all. Twice acted the boll*x with the club with transfer requests. If Fergie saw it fit to basically single him out in his farewell speech, the club should have taken notice. His record is more out of longevity as part of a club experiencing it's most fruitful spell (bar the last three years) than any individual brilliance on his part.

And in terms of those before him, without a doubt the least inspiring captain ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Not at all. Twice acted the boll*x with the club with transfer requests. If Fergie saw it fit to basically single him out in his farewell speech, the club should have taken notice. His record is more out of longevity as part of a club experiencing it's most fruitful spell (bar the last three years) than any individual brilliance on his part.

And in terms of those before him, without a doubt the least inspiring captain ever.
    What did Fergie say again? I remember he was ment to be on the way out alright tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

May 2013

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/22502958

"I don't think Wayne was keen to play, simply because he has asked for a transfer," Ferguson added.

Asked whether the England international will stay at the club, Ferguson told the BBC: "It's not my decision now."

Rooney injured his knee when he fell over an energy drink bottle in the dressing room after Scotland game..

Rooney injured his knee when he fell over an energy drink bottle in the dressing room after Scotland game..

Seen that on the independent and had a laugh at it.. "he slipped on a plastic bottle and banged his knee".. according to reports.. can't find the source though..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Even as someone who has very little time left for Rooney, I would easily call him a legend. I don't think he ever reached his full potential, but given his tenure, the trophies he won and his goal haul, I'd be happy enough to put him into the legends bracket.

Please tell me thats a joke....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Even as someone who has very little time left for Rooney, I would easily call him a legend. I don't think he ever reached his full potential, but given his tenure, the trophies he won and his goal haul, I'd be happy enough to put him into the legends bracket.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/embarrassing-dressing-room-injury-caused-by-an-energy-drink-adds-to-wayne-rooneys-week-of-misery-35225809.html

Can't find the source though which means it's probably from the Sun or made up

Lord TSC wrote: »

Could easily happen I suppose, just unlucky it was him. He was back training with United Wednesday anyway so I'm sure he's ok

Of course he is a legend. People talk Charlton (as if they even saw him play) when in actual fact there are very few of Charltons achievements that Rooney hasn't actually bettered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The mental release a couple of beers would provide an elite athlete in a pressure cooker situation should not be under estimated. Half of Sport is in the head.

The pictures look bad, but then again they are going to cherry pick them. I have seen pics of people who don't even drink looking absolutely pished on a night out.

He had FA clearance seemingly and was out injured.

All the holier than thou sh*te here is comical. Is there anyone here who actually knows what it's like to operate at that level of elite sport?

In the Tour de France where the body is operating at it's absolute optimum, on the very limit, riders have a glass of wine if they win a stage despite racing again the following day, not in 10 days time.

I'm not advocating he behave as he likes and be an absolute pishead but all this chatter about not drinking during the season, drinking when he should be focusing on his fitness. It's balderdash coming from the circles it's coming from.

Klopps comments were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rooney when his time is up at United, which is very soon in my opinion - as in next summer, will be remembered as a club legend.
    He achieved more than most players. It is easy to knock people, and we all do it at times.

I think Rooney will be replaced with Griezmann, and life goes on. Griezmann has put out so much positive stuff - most recently wanting to play at club level with Pogba.
    United need never be stuck if they plan correctly when a big name is leaving.

I just hope by tomorrow afternoon, people and I mean in general as well as here, have forgotten about what happened this week and that we have another 3 points and people are talking about a really good performance by United.
    The lack of club football leads to stories lingering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

With what rooney has acheieved in his career at united he has to be considered a united legend. hes been one of the greatest united players that i have seen. Sadly his united career wont end great but neither did gary nevilles, evra, rio and i dont think anyone thinks less of them.

We consider players who achieved a lot less than rooney legends. sure i would say most say best,charlton and law are legends and would say few in here have ever seen them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Does anyone buy, or follow Red Issue? I started following them on Twitter a while back and struggle to see where the "fan" in fanzine comes from. All they do is criticise everything and everyone associated with the club. I cant find a positive post in their feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rashford to start up front tomorrow? he has to be fresh after the week as he didnt see much game time

Or will we see Rooney up top? With Rashford/Martial on the left,Mata/Pogba in the No 10 role and Lingard on the right

Carrick has to start tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rashford to start up front tomorrow? he has to be fresh after the week as he didnt see much game time

Or will we see Rooney up top? With Rashford/Martial on the left,Mata/Pogba in the No 10 role and Lingard on the right

Carrick has to start tomorrow.

i hope to god he starts rashford up front but i think we will see the same lineup in midfield/attack as against liverpool except rooney for zlatan.

dont agree with carrick as he wont get time on the ball to dictate play and would leave us defensivly weak against arsenal i feel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement