Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

Looks like he's gone lads, back to Mhki's beautiful, offside, magic goal.
    Wasn't it wonderful?

Rooney didn't make the cleanest of contact with that overhead kick, but that doesn't lessen the rush of blood I still get when I watch it years later.

RVP's volley v Villa is debatable as to whether he was onside or not when Rooney made the pass, but that didn't stop the PL's greatest goalscorers from recently voting it as the best goal of the PL era.

Mkhi's goal, it's just amazing to see something like that on a football pitch no matter what colours the goalscorer is wearing. Once the linesman kept the flag down and United's score incremented by one on the scoreboard, that's enough to make it to go down in history and splice it into highlight reels for years to come.

Opposition fans in general, including us when it suits us, always take a chance to get a dig in on something the 'home' fans are enjoying. Repeatedly pointing out that Mkhitaryan's feat of technical excellence was offside - Unless you are trying build a case to take to the FA and have the goal decision overturned, you are just trying to get a rise and piss in people's lemonade. Lemonade like this though, every PL fan (except those of Sunderland :/ ) should maybe try a sip. Something like that amazing team goal which Arsenal worked against Ludogrets two months ago and Ozil made a show of the GK and two defenders to all but walk into the net. I don't like them, but there was technical excellence on show which was a thrill to witness.

"Yeah, but couldn't Mkhi have achieved that excellence and remained onside in the process?" Nope. Mkhi makes that run any later to stay in line with the defenders, then he isn't as far advanced and Ibra's ball wouldn't have went behind him, negating the need to improvise with a FÚCKING SCORPION KICK!!!! :eek: Will yis fúck off with offside! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

adox wrote: »
    Call me an old cynic but I love the way the narrative seems to have gone from "Ibras too old.." "a club of Utds stature shouldn't be signing a 35 year old.." etc etc to
    "You rely too much on Ibra for goals.." "you could be in trouble if he gets injured.."

Always an angle.

It's beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Call me an old cynic but I love the way the narrative seems to have gone from "Ibras too old.." "a club of Utds stature shouldn't be signing a 35 year old.." etc etc to
    "You rely too much on Ibra for goals.." "you could be in trouble if he gets injured.."

Always an angle.

Are you referring to me here seeing as I mentioned that United are relying on Ibra and may struggle to score if he gets injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are you referring to me here seeing as I mentioned that United are relying on Ibra and may struggle to score if he gets injured?

I think he is Emmet but don't be worrying.

Jayop wrote: »
    I think he is Emmet but don't be worrying.

Ok. I was just wondering because I definitely said the last lines but don't remember saying any of the rest, although I did say I didn't see Ibra scoring as many as last year - but last year he had an exceptional year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think within the next couple of weeks we'll be ahead of City or Arsenal at some point, the question is will we be able to stay there. Liverpool will fight with Chelsea for the title, if Chelsea falter it could fall right into their lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think within the next couple of weeks we'll be ahead of City or Arsenal at some point, the question is will we be able to stay there. Liverpool will fight with Chelsea for the title, if Chelsea falter it could fall right into their lap.
    I can't see Pool fighting for the title.They will get 3rd but won't really be in contention for the title.
    Chelsea City be top 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

yabadabado wrote: »
    I can't see Pool fighting for the title.They will get 3rd but won't really be in contention for the title.
    Chelsea City be top 2 .

There is no reason at all why they can't come 2nd. Only team below Chelsea who haven't really wobbled yet this year, except maybe Arsenal.

But there is absolutely no way that a team does what Chelsea are doing with consecutive wins and then doesn't win the title.

City v Pool a massive game for everyone in top 6

Draw please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bridge93 wrote: »
    How is disrupting a discussion forum with nonsense fun? Genuinely curious. These forums are for people with similar interests and hobbies to debate those hobbies and interests. That's where the fun comes from. The give and get slags is fun at times when it's good natured and in the appropriate places. What you're up to just seems like a waste of everyone's time.
    It's 2 days after Christmas. Do you have nothing better to do?

He didn't get his hatchimal off santy, so is acting up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

paulbok wrote: »
    He didn't get his hatchimal off santy, so is acting up.

That's no excuse mine didn't come either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Ryan Giggs for Swansea???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Presume the Justice For Firmino t shirts will be on display tonight

15542192_1232080736828819_4821820840542431518_n.jpg?oh=b70f3d4b2bef9ac648650022b2e89f0e&oe=58F5656D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can't see Liverpool getting top 4 really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pheonix10 wrote: »

They are more likely to get it than we are at the moment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Really? Thought themselves and Chelsea are shoe-ins for Top 4 and it would be between City and Arsenal to drop out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Chelsea City be top 2 .

Liverpool are the best side in the league after Chelsea.

We've lost two games so far this season, what makes you think we won't even make top 4? The way things have went so far this season that's a crazy statement.

We still may not get it but don't think Liverpool will, just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We still may not get it but don't think Liverpool will, just my opinion.

Based on what though? Half way through the season and all the signs are they will finish at least top 4, perhaps second.
    What makes you think different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Based on what though? Half way through the season and all the signs are they will finish at least top 4, perhaps second.
    What makes you think different?

Because more or less everybody else thinks they will. Same guy that thought Agüero's tackle wasn't that bad...

Said it then and I'll say it again. Some people just like to go against the grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Because more or less everybody else thinks they will. Same guy that thought Agüero's tackle wasn't that bad...

Said it then and I'll say it again. Some people just like to go against the grain.

Sometimes people just like to watch the world Burn.

Haha because football doesn't work like clockwork. After 5 games of the season, everyone was saying City would walk the league and Pep was a genius. Well that has slowed down. There are twists in turns throughout each season. It doesn't just go exactly how we expect it too, thats why we watch it.

Liverpool are the best side in the league after Chelsea.

I dont think Pool have the squad to win a league and top 3 is a great season for them

• Advertisement

I dont think Pool have the squad to win a league and top 3 is a great season for them

They have a very good manager. You would have to say they are overachieving when you look at their team but when you have a manager that has the players totally onboard with how he wants them to play it goes a long way.

They have a very good manager. You would have to say they are overachieving when you look at their team but when you have a manager that has the players totally onboard with how he wants them to play it goes a long way.

Can say the same about Conte but he has a much better squad to pick from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

People also said Leicester wouldn't even finish top 4 last season when they were actually going for the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

liverpool also don't have to worry as much about the squad game considering they have no european football to worry about - only domestic games - a considerably lighter load than United, Arsenal, City and Spurs. Chelsea will also benefit from no euro football

FlusteredDisastrousHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Needs more frames :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Needs more frames :pac:

The power generated. .....droool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RobertKK wrote: »
    We are only slightly dependent on Zlatan...

https://twitter.com/theplzone/status/813430657116409856

I'm amazed by how good he's being.

Really bought into the 35-year-old-will-struggle-in-England thing. Still expect he may drop off a bit given the Christmas schedule and everything. Really need to find the space to rest him soon.

But yeah, well done Zlatan.

Big mental legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Glorious finish :D

Next 2 EPL games are live on Sky.'Boro game on SS 5 and West Ham on SS 1.

Next 2 EPL games are live on Sky.'Boro game on SS 5 and West Ham on SS 1.

Thank fcuk for that :pac:

Ridiculous how there's only 2 days between the two games!! Since the West Ham game is away, how will the players even have time to recover and train :confused:

Hoping we batter Boro in the first half. A first half like the one against Leicester would be perfect!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Im fully expecting 6 points from the next two games. I just think we are firing on all cylinders now and its beautiful to not only enjoy watching United play but be confident that when we score its not gonna instantly turn every player into a quivering mess.

I am hoping for a top 4 finish this year and Id be happy with that given where we are now but not cause I have lowered my expectations, its because we are behind some very good teams and its hard to see 2 of the 4 messing it all up to let us in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Im fully expecting 6 points from the next two games. I just think we are firing on all cylinders now and its beautiful to not only enjoy watching United play but be confident that when we score its not gonna instantly turn every player into a quivering mess.

I am hoping for a top 4 finish this year and Id be happy with that given where we are now but not cause I have lowered my expectations, its because we are behind some very good teams and its hard to see 2 of the 4 messing it all up to let us in.

West ham will be tricky, they are starting to find form. I would rest carrick for boro as we need him here and 2 games in 48 hours is too much for him. I would say the same for Zlatan but he doesn't seem to need resting at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

I think we will have to rest alot of the key players in the first choice team against 'Boro. Carrick, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan due to injury, should all be on the bench i think for this one. West Ham is just a more dangerous game and we would need them ready for 90 minutes there. Hopefully we will be able to take Pogba and Herrera off with 20 minutes to go against 'Boro as well.

• Advertisement

The "depend on zlatan" narrative has kicked off.
    I'm more concerned with the dependency on Michael Carrick.

The team is structured perfectly when he plays and every player on the pitch benefits. We really need to rest him v Boro but at the same time it may well end up effecting the spine that has solidified over the last 2-3 months.

Got to talk about potential replacements or at the very least who plays instead of him.
    Blind v Boro. Can pick a forward pass and is naturally defensive. Keep the rest of the team intact.

Another one, but this might sound odd......Mike Smalling in front of back 4? Another player with good feet, can pick a pass and is naturally defensive.

We know Fellaini doesn't work in that position.

And the there's Morgan who is pretty much sold at this stage.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The "depend on zlatan" narrative has kicked off.
    I'm more concerned with the dependency on Michael Carrick.

The team is structured perfectly when he plays and every player on the pitch benefits. We really need to rest him v Boro but at the same time it may well end up effecting the spine that has solidified over the last 2-3 months.

Got to talk about potential replacements or at the very least who plays instead of him.
    Blind v Boro. Can pick a forward pass and is naturally defensive. Keep the rest of the team intact.

Another one, but this might sound odd......Mike Smalling in front of back 4? Another player with good feet, can pick a pass and is naturally defensive.

And the there's Morgan who is pretty much sold at this stage.

I think Blind is the perfect replacement with current squad options. Wouldn't be interested in putting Smalling or any other centre half there other than Blind. Alternatively Herrera could play there and stick Mata more central beside Pogba.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's not just Carrick.

Who fills in for any of Carrick, Herrera and Pogba are unavailable?

Done a google on the guy Bakayoko from Monaco we were linked with. Looks like a big athletic guy who wins the ball, strides out of defense, and plays the ball off to the attackers. Of course you can never tell from youtube but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting a guy like that to replace Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

We definitely need a replacement for Carrick and then someone else to replace Morgan when he goes. It will be interesting to see who we go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

KH25 wrote: »
    We definitely need a replacement for Carrick and then someone else to replace Morgan when he goes. It will be interesting to see who we go for.

Why would we need someone to replace Morgan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Never going to happen, but would be worth giving Schweinsteiger gametime in Carrick's position if the opportunity is there. System would suit him and if he could recapture even 75% of his best form, we'd have benefitted greatly.

bangkok wrote: »
    People also said Leicester wouldn't even finish top 4 last season when they were actually going for the title

I knew someone would mention them that was a anomaly. A few teams fell apart last season and it opened up perfectly for them no sign of that so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He worked there at the start of the season when he was our best player.

It would put a bigger emphasis on Herrera to dictate the play.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/telegraphducker/status/814077835539349504

Really would be ridiculous to let him leave in January. It seems he is starting to fade away from the first team a bit but he definitely has the quality and potential to become a world class winger. Plus he's only 21 years old!!! Didn't realise till now that Lingard was 24 years old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement