Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I normally root for Spurs when its not against United but Im wishing some bad luck on them tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Im in the Man Utd squad in the defensive section under the fouls tab..

Let me look again.

Edit: so yeah, under the defensive tab where it says fouls, it has Fellaini at 1.7...

Only thing I can think of is that you're looking at PL only or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

20161228_202357.pngfree image host

Here ye go men thank me later. I know who I'd prefer in my team and he aint Belgian.

Let me look again.

Edit: so yeah, under the defensive tab where it says fouls, it has Fellaini at 1.7...

Only thing I can think of is that you're looking at PL only or something.

Ya that was it alright, not sure how to view all but I'll work it out ty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The best thing United did in midfield was move Pogba to the third midfield role.

Fellaini started the season well but with Pogba beside him. Pogba's lack of defensive discipline cost the side.

The problems now start when the system has to change, and if any of the midfield players are rested then the control in midfield may be lowered. Pogba not playing would likely mean the biggest change as Rooney comes in at 10.

Its no coincidence that United have a good run going as the spine of the team became consistent (and solid), Jones and Rojo - Carrick, Herrera and Pogba - Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Here ye go men thank me later. I know who I'd prefer in my team and he aint Belgian.

I thought it was who would be better off playing as a DM instead of Carrick. I personally would have Schweinsteiger come in and keep Herrera and Pogba as they are.

I wouldn't be against Fellaini being used there to keep those two as they are either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

beno619 wrote: »

You've made your thoughts on him clear so I don't believe you can give an unbiased assessment. To say he was so so at the start of the season is just flat out wrong.

Unbiased assessment??? So what is yours on Herrera????? The best all round and complete middle if the park player we have
    If Fellani was playing for Liverpool everyone in here would be having a laugh at them.
    Also f Fellani was so good at the start of the season then why was he dropped and why is he not getting any game time now and is it just coincidence that our play has improved 10 fold since he has been left on the bench???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Messi has 51 goals in the 2016 Callander year.

Ibrahimovic has 50.

Messi won't play again this Callander year. Ibra will. So two against Boro and he tops the list :D

astradave wrote: »
    I thought it was who would be better off playing as a DM instead of Carrick. I personally would have Schweinsteiger come in and keep Herrera and Pogba as they are.

I wouldn't be against Fellaini being used there to keep those two as they are either.

It prob was but I was only showing a few defensive stats between the two its per 90 mins and herrera is ahead on everything apart from red cards and he has superb interception stats per 90 which is very important defensively in midfield.

• Advertisement

It prob was but I was only showing a few defensive stats between the two its per 90 mins and herrera is ahead on everything apart from red cards and he has superb interception stats per 90 which is very important defensively in midfield.

Oh yeah but thats because of the role he is playing, he is playing box to box and as a terrier basically and he definitely wouldn't have stats that high if he was asked to play the carrick role, i would like to have a look at the areas of interceptions but i would think that a lot of them were high up the pitch as he presses a hell of a lot up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We are talking Fellaini playing as a DM and yet people seem to be talking about his time as a regular CM

Fellaini, much to my surprise I must say, played the DM role brilliantly when he played there earlier on in the season(possibly his only spell playing there). He barely gave away a free kick and gave great cover to the defence and also used the ball well, feeding the full backs or his fellow midfielders. Fellaini tends to give away most of his free kicks when chasing back or caught ahead of the ball, which are positions he just didn't find himself in when playing as a DM. His discipline in terms of fouling and positionally was fantastic.

No one is arguing that Herrera isn't the better all round midfielder but we are discussing playing someone playing the deepest of the three midfielders as a DM and for me Fellaini is a better option than Herrera.

I still think that Jose will buy a player for that position though. It's crucial to his system.

Oh yeah but thats because of the role he is playing, he is playing box to box and as a terrier basically and he definitely wouldn't have stats that high if he was asked to play the carrick role, i would like to have a look at the areas of interceptions but i would think that a lot of them were high up the pitch as he presses a hell of a lot up there

Ohh will u stop talking sense :)
    you are dead right it is down to the role they play but if that's the case we can only go on our opinions and what kind of play we see on a weekly basis and If that's the case herrera shows better leadership qualities and reads the game better then Fellaini where as Fellaini will use his strenght to break up play more so then an actual tackle or interception.

adox wrote: »
    I still think that Jose will buy a player for that position though. It's crucial to his system.

This. I can't see him being as reliant on Carrick going forward. the question is who though.

The more I think about Basti playing there, the more sense it makes to me. Herrera and Pogba doing all of his running for him. Huge leadership qualities. Big question mark is fitness and just how far his ability has fallen.

****in Spurs!

• Advertisement

****in Spurs!

As well as we have done in recent weeks, we've not made many inroads in terms of catching the teams above us. If we can beat Boro this week at least we know we are guaranteed City or Pool (or both) will drop points.

Ya barring our victory its been an annoying round of results as Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and spurs all looked at different stages like they might drop some points

As well as we have done in recent weeks, we've not made many inroads in terms of catching the teams above us. If we can beat Boro this week at least we know we are guaranteed City or Pool (or both) will drop points.

Pretty sure we have gained at least 4 points on most of the teams above us bar Chelsea so we could be a hell of a lot worse off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

saints down to 10 men too.

shiote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was never banking on making an ground over the St. Stephens day program. All the big teams were at home to trash and City were away to Hull.

New Years eve/day will be where we should close the gap a little with us playing Boro and Liverpool/City playing. Whether all that work will be undone away to West Ham is another matter.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »

shiote

Yeah and think Dean was referring to the old rules when sending him off. Shouldn't have been a peno either way, cracking dive from Alli

Pretty sure we have gained at least 4 points on most of the teams above us bar Chelsea so we could be a hell of a lot worse off

In the last 6 games we've gained 2 points on City, Spurs and Arsenal. 1 point on Pool. If we bring it in to last 4, we've only gained more than 2 on Arsenal and Spurs.

Next two games are must wins. If we can't beat Boro and West Ham when it matters, we may forget it.

In the last 6 games we've gained 2 points on City, Spurs and Arsenal. 1 point on Pool. If we bring it in to last 4, we've only gained more than 2 on Arsenal and Spurs.

Next two games are must wins. If we can't beat Boro and West Ham when it matters, we may forget it.

thought i seen it posted the other day here, i stand corrected so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Robson99 wrote: »
    Unbiased assessment??? So what is yours on Herrera????? The best all round and complete middle if the park player we have
    If Fellani was playing for Liverpool everyone in here would be having a laugh at them.
    Also f Fellani was so good at the start of the season then why was he dropped and why is he not getting any game time now and is it just coincidence that our play has improved 10 fold since he has been left on the bench???

I love Herrera & agree he's our best midfielder.

The conversation was about replacing Carrick. Fellaini is our best option.

The argument then changed to who fouls the most/is the best tackler.

As for reasons our play has improved. Pogba,Herrera ,Mata & Mikhitaryan have all improved. Rooney was taken out when he was crap. Zlatan has learned how to score again.
    Carrick depending on who you ask has improved us.

Are you gonna pretend taking Fellaini out of the side was a magic bullet ?

Spurs to be sickened here in injury time. I can feel it in my bones.

GSPfan wrote: »

Kane is some man for penalties don't think that. Ball has landed yet

Pretty sure I heard something hit the roof a minute ago so id say its down

Balls. Ah well.

bleeding jinx :rolleyes:

bleeding jinx :rolleyes:

If only that was a real thing.

• Advertisement

If only that was a real thing.

In the future when the science proves the existance of the wizards who control the internet jinx, your going to look rather silly dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Walker and Vertonghen suspended for their next match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The only team we have not gained points on recently is Chelsea, the rest we have.
    All we can do is win our own games.

Last 6 games points:

1. Chelsea 18
    2. Manchester United 14
    3. Liverpool 13
    4. Spurs 12
    5. Arsenal 12
    6. City 12
    7. West Ham 11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

beno619 wrote: »

Are you gonna pretend taking Fellaini out of the side was a magic bullet ?

I'm not pretending. It mighnt have been the magic one but it certainly was a big factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

That awkward moment when all the teams that UTD are trying to catch, keep winning and won't give em a chance to catch up. BTW that's now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Oh look who's back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That awkward moment when all the teams that UTD are trying to catch, keep winning and won't give em a chance to catch up. BTW that's now

Z5S4C8B.png

In other news the sky is blue and grass is still green.

We're playing good football and we are winning games. I literally cannot ask for more. The other teams can worry about us because we're not worrying about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ah in fairness the ball moved before he kicked it. Same as beckhams penalty against Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only team we have not gained points on recently is Chelsea, the rest we have.
    All we can do is win our own games.

Last 6 games points:

1. Chelsea 18
    2. Manchester United 14
    3. Liverpool 13
    4. Spurs 12
    5. Arsenal 12
    6. City 12
    7. West Ham 11
    zerks wrote: »
    Walker and Vertonghen suspended for their next match.
    In the future when the science proves the existance of the wizards who control the internet jinx, your going to look rather silly dude
    limnam wrote: »

shiote
    Ya barring our victory its been an annoying round of results as Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and spurs all looked at different stages like they might drop some points
    ****in Spurs!
    We're playing good football and we are winning games. I literally cannot ask for more. The other teams can worry about us because we're not worrying about them.

lol I would hate to see what this thread would be like if ye were worried.:P

MD1990 wrote: »

Be something like the Arsenal thread a week ago serious meltdown...

Most of comments were because spurs were playing and some of us were actually watching the match and others just hoping they loose no harm in that to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Be something like the Arsenal thread a week ago serious meltdown...

Most of comments were because spurs were playing and some of us were actually watching the match and others just hoping they loose no harm in that to be fair.
    No harm but I don't understand claiming not be worried about other results when majority of fans from the top 6 are worried about other results around them which is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Internet acne sex

No harm but I don't understand claiming not be worried about other results when majority of fans from the top 6 are worried about other results around them which is understandable.

One person claimed it and you quote everyone else so maybe you should of just quote him and be done with it that's like me going into the pool thread and claiming because one fan thinks ye gonna win the league you all do.

Course everyone is looking at other scores its only bloody natural.

One person claimed it and you quote everyone else so maybe you should of just quote him and be done with it that's like me going into the pool thread and claiming because one fan thinks ye gonna win the league you all do.

Course everyone is looking at other scores its only bloody natural.

Don't tell anyone but I even had the Watford v Palace game on Monday,90 minutes of scutter.Fantasy Football will do that to people.
    Anyway,if we all just watched 'our teams' games the soccer forum would be a very boring place.Somebody trying to get a dig in about it is really small time.

• Advertisement

If he scores twice against Middlesbrough on New Year’s Eve, Zlatan Ibrahimovic will have hit more goals than anyone across Europe’s top leagues during 2016.

Lionel Messi tops the charts on 51, but with Barcelona enjoying their winter break, Manchester United’s No 9 has a free run at clinching the honour.

50 - Number of club goals Ibrahimovic has scored in 55 games for PSG and Manchester United in 2016. Only Lionel Messi (51 goals in 51 games) has more. The Swede’s tally trumps Messi’s Barca team-mate Luis Suarez (48 in 49) and Real Madrid Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo (42 in 44), who make up 2016’s top four scorers in Europe.

10 - Goals Zlatan scored from outside the box this year - joint top of the quartet with Messi. Ronaldo has eight and Suarez just one.

9 - Headers the 6ft 5in striker has scored - three more than Suarez or Ronaldo. Messi has only two.

18 - Percentage of goals Zlatan has scored with his weaker foot. Only Ronaldo (27 per cent) is more productive off his weaker side. Messi is the worst at a lowly 1.96 per cent.

45 - Goals Zlatan has scored from open play, with only five of his strikes in 2016 from set-pieces (three penalties, two free-kicks). That puts him joint top with Suarez, who also hit 45 from open play, with three from set pieces. Messi has 41 from open play, Ronaldo 32.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4071572/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-Mr-Incredible-35-going-strong-martial-arts-no-booze-elastic-legs-plenty-reggae.html#ixzz4UBZVOc2z
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I'm sure Chelsea a whole 13 points ahead of Utd are really worried about You! :confused:

F*ck me that is the most mindnumbingly stupid logic I've seen here in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

F*ck me that is the most mindnumbingly stupid logic I've seen here in a long time.

Or a Liverpool fan who is just having a laugh and a wind up.

Nalz wrote: »
    Or a Liverpool fan who is just having a laugh and a wind up.

I just have no time for anyone that thinks another group of fans are defined by what one out of the hundreds, thousands or millions says or thinks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement