Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Removal - costs and services

Options
  • 09-11-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Sligo to the area around Donegal town or Ballybofey before the end of the year. We've never done a house move in Ireland before (I'm from America and he's always rented with roommates or lived with family). The job has fallen to me because I am sort of the "family secretary". I have moved within the US, so I get the basic idea, but I need to know what to keep in mind in Ireland in order to do this right.

We currently live in a 3-bedroom semi. One bedroom is a home office and everything will go. I own the beds and bedstands (a twin and trundle in one room, and a king bed in the other) in the other two rooms. We have four large bookcases that will go, and quite a lot of kitchen stuff. The remaining furnishings (wardrobes, main room, kitchen table and chairs) are the landlord's and will stay. There is one staircase inside and no stairs to the door outside. We have three cats (two of which moved from the US and have been in two other house moves before).
    • What are some typical figures for a short move like this? (We're just planning, not ready to ask a mover for a quote yet.)
    • Are there red flags to look out for when hiring a moving company?
    • Are there any regulations the moving company must follow (such as adhering to estimates, damage reimbursement, etc.)?
    • Can you think of anything else that would be helpful to know?

Advertisement