Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Truck

Options
  • 09-11-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Any idea how much would it cost to insure a truck (18 tonne) ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

How long is a piece of string?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Try Liberty. They quoted a fella I know e1400 on a pretty old 12 tonner

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

Try Liberty. They quoted me e1400 on a pretty old 12 tonner

Wow, this is really good.

Did u use ur private car ncb with it or just straight in to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Fresz19 wrote: »
    Wow, this is really good.

Did u use ur private car ncb with it or just straight in to it?

Well it wasnt for me, so I dont know the persons history. I do know he has a digger with them, and never had any claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Totally different cover and premiums involved if it is for own goods or haulage

• Advertisement

Alright,

I was thinking about getting recovery truck but its hard to obtain any information about running costs etc.

Alright,

I was thinking about getting recovery truck but its hard to obtain any information about running costs etc.

A recovery truck is Motor Trade, which is a specific cover. You'll need to approach a broker

A recovery truck is Motor Trade, which is a specific cover. You'll need to approach a broker

Thanks,

is there any specific broker or any 'car' insurance broker will do?

and is there any more info you could share with me, I would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I had a motor trade policy with Campion before. Around €1600 and covered receovery trucks up to 7.5 tonne.

18 tonne is pretty big for a recovery truck. Will you be doing machinary etc?

Thanks,

is there any specific broker or any 'car' insurance broker will do?

and is there any more info you could share with me, I would be grateful.

Well, I'll presume you are not a member of SIMI, so you won't have access to the Aviva product. Other than that you'll need to approach a broker that does more commercial business than cars/vans.

Try Marsh Ireland or Arachas

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot.

I have came a cross SIMI before - is it good to be member of it? What are benefits of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Wexford Insurance have a few schemes AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If it's for hire and reward, prices have gone through the roof.

Have a look at this: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057655682

cormie wrote: »
    If it's for hire and reward, prices have gone through the roof.

Have a look at this: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057655682

Not really, just towing other cars on flatbed truck

Not really, just towing other cars on flatbed truck

That's hire and reward, I think? Using the vehicle itself for the work, rather than a plumber just using it to get himself/tools/equipment to/from main place of work?

That's hire and reward, I think? Using the vehicle itself for the work, rather than a plumber just using it to get himself/tools/equipment to/from main place of work?

hahaha now u confused me all the way... You might be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You are correct.

Even before motor premiums went bananas the market for recovery vehicles was very narrow.

Considering the contraction of risk appetite with many Insurers, the hardening of rates etc, someone looking to get an 18 tonne recovery vehicle covered, with no previous like for like insurance, will face I believe a huge amount of difficulty getting any company to quote.

You are correct.

Even before motor premiums went bananas the market for recovery vehicles was very narrow.

Considering the contraction of risk appetite with many Insurers, the hardening of rates etc, someone looking to get an 18 tonne recovery vehicle covered, with no previous like for like insurance, will face I believe a huge amount of difficulty getting any company to quote.

I said 18 but it probably be 7.5 tonne as 18 tonne is even hard to purchase in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I said 18 but it probably be 7.5 tonne as 18 tonne is even hard to purchase in Ireland.

Even at that you are probably facing a massive uphill battle I'm afraid.

Even at that you are probably facing a massive uphill battle I'm afraid.

You mean finding someone that would insure it or massive cost?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Cheaper get a Jeep and good transport trailer I'd say. If it's only cars you're wanting to tow.

Head Wreck wrote: »
    Cheaper get a Jeep and good transport trailer I'd say. If it's only cars you're wanting to tow.

I was thinking more of service and contracts with insurance companies to recover broken down cars...

You are correct.

I've seen you post before, you work insurance right?

Fresz, if you experience anything like I've experienced, it's going to be really really difficult to get cover. Look at the thread I linked to above, over 5 years no claims with the same company on a fleet policy and they wouldn't renew the policy and then getting onto a broker, who tried about 5 or 6 different companies with no luck. The broker said this time last year he would have gotten quotes from about 3 or 4 different companies, but those who would have quoted, like Aviva, weren't quoting at all for me. I know 3 guys doing the same thing, legitimately, and they were all insured through Aviva. It's basically a case that if you weren't already with the company, you probably won't get cover. At least in Furniture Removals, and if recovery is anything similar then you're going to have a tough battle ahead of you ;(

I've seen you post before, you work insurance right?

Fresz, if you experience anything like I've experienced, it's going to be really really difficult to get cover. Look at the thread I linked to above, over 5 years no claims with the same company on a fleet policy and they wouldn't renew the policy and then getting onto a broker, who tried about 5 or 6 different companies with no luck. The broker said this time last year he would have gotten quotes from about 3 or 4 different companies, but those who would have quoted, like Aviva, weren't quoting at all for me. I know 3 guys doing the same thing, legitimately, and they were all insured through Aviva. It's basically a case that if you weren't already with the company, you probably won't get cover. At least in Furniture Removals, and if recovery is anything similar then you're going to have a tough battle ahead of you ;(

They all talk about supporing SME's and on other side this rubbish is happening... How to start new transport business if costs are sky high...

I was thinking more of service and contracts with insurance companies to recover broken down cars...

That's strictly motor trade. Someone mentioned Wexford Insurance, good call

That's strictly motor trade. Someone mentioned Wexford Insurance, good call

Already emailed them with details.

Advertisement