Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing gun

Options
  • 09-11-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

My grant notice letter just came.Have an old single barrel not in great spec.is it much hassle to upgrade to double barrel in better nick?
    Would i be better of to do this before i pay up my 80 euro.
    can this be done privately or do you go through a dealer.i have a farmers licence and gun is for vermin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

It should be no bother at all, that said you always run the risk of meeting a firearms officer having an off day who is in an awkward mood. But still if i was you i'd go and get the double barrel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

raindodger wrote: »
    My grant notice letter just came.Have an old single barrel not in great spec.is it much hassle to upgrade to double barrel in better nick?
    Nope.

Go to a dealer, pick out a gun, trade the other one against the new gun, and pay the difference. Then submit the license for substitution.
    Would i be better of to do this before i pay up my 80 euro.
    You cannot. You need to pay the €80, get the license for the current gun, then look at changing. Otherwise you'd have to "cancel" the grant letter, and apply all over again for the new gun.
    can this be done privately or do you go through a dealer.i have a farmers licence and gun is for vermin.
    You can buy privately, but if you are subbing the license you need to either trade or store the old gun. Of course you could apply for a new license for the new gun, its up to you.

If you have the limited certificate you are limited to your own land. If you do a sub you will still be limited to your own land.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭raindodger

thanks for the help lads.
    you made it very clear.

Is the old gun of sentimental value or have you any reason to want to keep it?

If not i'd trade and go for an O/U.

Have you something in mind?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭raindodger

no sentimental value.
    Open to suggestion about replacement.Presume this time of the year is the most expensive to buy.
    what the best type of value cheap new or good second hand?
    Do guns hold there value?

• Advertisement

raindodger wrote: »
    Open to suggestion about replacement.
    I'd say to look at an Over/Under (O/U). They are cheap to buy, easy to license, and can easily accommodate most any type of shooting you could want in Ireland.

The most important part of picking a gun is fit. A shotgun must come up well with a good shoulder and be natural for your point of aim. Always bring someone with you that knows about the various guns. They'll keep you grounded and help you decide on something suitable rather than one that looks good, but doesn't really fit you. Nothing worse than buying a gun and it won't shoot right for you because it doesn't fit you right.
    Presume this time of the year is the most expensive to buy.
    not necessarily.

Lads will have chopped and changed coming up to the start of the season (November 1st) so there could be a better selection of second hand guns.
    what the best type of value cheap new or good second hand?
    Depends on your budget.

Second hand you can buy from €300 up, and new from €550 up. The prices can go as high as a good second hand car, but we'll keep it sensible for the purpose of the thread.

Look at Baikal, Lanber, Yildiz for those in the €300 - €550 mark (second hand) or €550 - €750 new. Then if you want to go for something a little nicer look at Bettinsoli, Browning, Winchester for guns in the €450 - €850 mark (second hand) or €750 - €1,400 mark(new).
    Do guns hold there value?
    Some do, some don't.

Beretta, Benelli, some fo the Bronwing line, and other high end guns have a high price and usually don't fall as sharply as the medium to low end scale. This is because of quality, and branding. Think of it like buying a pair of Nike for €150 and a pair out of LIDL for €20. Both are runners, both fit and both do what you want. You pay extra for Nike because of the money invested in R&D, comfort and primarily the name.

While resale is a factor it should not determine your buying.

Advertisement