Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Headphone Jack Issue

Options
  • 09-11-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

A few weeks back, the headphone jack on my laptop broke and now when I put headphones into my laptop the noise still comes from the laptop speakers and not through the headphones.

I like to use my laptop to watch films when travelling and just wondered if anyone can recommend any decent shops around the city center that might be able to fix this cheaply?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bluezar wrote: »
    Hi,

A few weeks back, the headphone jack on my laptop broke and now when I put headphones into my laptop the noise still comes from the laptop speakers and not through the headphones.

I like to use my laptop to watch films when travelling and just wondered if anyone can recommend any decent shops around the city center that might be able to fix this cheaply?

Thanks

Shop in the Ilac Centre in the corridor just inside the Moore St entrance (of its still there).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Honestly probably cheaper to get a usb sound card . Typically £5-10 on amazon/ebay. Definitely cheaper than getting it repaired.

71fNNJ30WTL._SL1500_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

^^ that is such a cool little tool

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Second the USB soundcard suggestion. Often its a surface mount jack and almost unrepairable. Sometimes its a through-board mount or on a daughterboard (in my laptop its on one - with the HDMI and some USB so its very dear still).

USB soundcards work universally and may even have a better preamp if you get a good one. Can be chucked and replaced if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Second the USB soundcard suggestion. Often its a surface mount jack and almost unrepairable. Sometimes its a through-board mount or on a daughterboard (in my laptop its on one - with the HDMI and some USB so its very dear still).

USB soundcards work universally and may even have a better preamp if you get a good one. Can be chucked and replaced if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

^ I take it yours is a stereo one.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

cunavalos wrote: »
    Honestly probably cheaper to get a usb sound card . Typically £5-10 on amazon/ebay. Definitely cheaper than getting it repaired.

71fNNJ30WTL._SL1500_.jpg

Cheers, that sounds perfect - Will order one now.

Thanks

Advertisement