Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre popped off

Options
  • 09-11-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭

Just after getting a Merida Speeder2 on the cycle to work scheme.
    2nd spin today and came to a few bumps on the road and next BANG!!!
    Tyre came off the rim and there is a 4 inch split on the tube.

I had 80 psi in the tyre(it says 100 max on it)
    Tyres are Maxis detonators(at least they lived up to their name) and size is 700 x32c.
    I weigh 12 stone if that makes any difference.

Any clues why this would happen.
    Poor tyres??????
    A bit wary of going for a spin again as I don't want to get stranded.

Finally,should I get onto the shop that supplied the bike as surely it's not normal for a new bike to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

What are you using to measure the pressure in your tyres? Is it possible that the gauge is off? Your tube exploded by the sounds of things. If the force was strong enough to knock the tyre off the rim then it's quite likely the tube was over-inflated.

At 80psi you should still be able to squeeze the tyre a little bit with your fingers. If it's at "80psi" on your gauge and the tyre is rock hard, it could be an indication that the gauge is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Blowouts can happen without overinflation! 80PSI in a 32C tyre is fine. Your weight isnt' a factor, I'm heavier and run 85PSI in mine no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The tube was probably pinched, and hitting a few bumps caused it to explode.. The Maxxis Detonators are pretty light tyres with a soft construction so I'm guessing between the tyre flexing (at 80psi it would flex) and the tube pinched ~ bang.

I had detonators a few years ago, they were a curse of a tyre but I never had a blow out like this. Although I was scourged with punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pinch punctures are often caused by under inflation.
    If the tyre was under inflated and rider got pinch puncture, I think it's unlikely, that the tyre would explode.
    I reckon the tyre wasn't properly seated on the rim, and the rough surface caused the tyre to come off the rim and Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There was 60 in the tyres when I got it and my brother said they were too soft.
    My brother pumped it with a proper pump he uses for his race bikes.
    I did notice I was able to put back on the tyre with my hand easily enough.
    Should I get on to the shop or just buy a new tube and a different tyre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've worked with lots of tyres, and these are a loose-fit tyre (like shoes and clothing, some tyres are a relatively loose fit for their labelled diameter, others a bit tighter than you'd expect, eg: most Continental models are usually a tight fit. Some rims are a bit bigger or smaller than labelled too). You should be careful when fitting and inflating loose-fitting tyres because if they are low (sunken) on the rim somewhere, they have a chance to be high on the rim (and blow off) elsewhere:

Inflate the tube so it takes its proper shape, as a floppy tube will be more likely to get pinched between the rim and tyre bead if the tyre is a loose fit.
    Inflate the tyre with the wheel lying on its side, so gravity doesn't make the tyre sit eccentrically on the rim.
    Inflate to about 20PSI/1.5BAR and check that the bead is evenly seated all around the rim on both sides - if required, work it into or out of the rim to get it even all of the way around. Deflate the tyre a bit if required, but not so much that it's loose in the rim, and doesn't stay where you put it.
    Inflate to >80PSI, keeping an eye on the bead on both sides, so you're happy that it's not creeping off anywhere.

Regarding the pump used, try a few other pumps with gauges, to see if yours agrees with the average of the others, or is a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Get back to the shop. Any decent shop will replace it for you. Had a faulty tyre which bulged after a month on a fuji road bike and the shop replaced both tyres foc.

Thanks lads.
    I'll give the bike shop a ring in the morning and see what they say.
    Whether it was an act of God or a poorly fitted tyre or loose fitting tyre or whatever, i feel it shouldn't happen on a new bike.
    I just don't trust those tyres now.
    What if the front blew going down a hill?
    Could be nasty enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blade1 wrote: »
    There was 60 in the tyres when I got it and my brother said they were too soft.

Typical of most bike shops in my experience, pure laziness.

I'd Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres put on my hybrid by 360 in Clontarf, I noticed right away they were exceptionally soft & when I checked them at home they were just below 40psi :mad:

You really need the Maxxis Detonators a lot harder than that. Btw they're not a good commuting tyre so if you're going to use them for commuting I'd reconsider.

Did the tyre or the tube blow out?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Could the tyre not have been seated correctly in the first place? OP, did the bike feel slightly wobbly like a buckle? That can happen at the valve for instance if it got in the way while prior to inflation.
    That would tally with the major blowout (tube exposed).

• Advertisement

Typical of most bike shops in my experience, pure laziness.

I'd Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres put on my hybrid by 360 in Clontarf, I noticed right away they were exceptionally soft & when I checked them at home they were just below 40psi :mad:

You really need the Maxxis Detonators a lot harder than that. Btw they're not a good commuting tyre so if you're going to use them for commuting I'd reconsider.

Did the tyre or the tube blow out?.

The tyre is ok Mak.
    Bike will be just for leisure.

Idleater wrote: »
    Could the tyre not have been seated correctly in the first place? OP, did the bike feel slightly wobbly like a buckle? That can happen at the valve for instance if it got in the way while prior to inflation.
    That would tally with the major blowout (tube exposed).
    Felt nothing beforehand, just went bang.
    I'm not sure if the tube went bang and blew the tyre off or did the tyre come off and tube then went bang.

I have been onto the shop and he reckons the tube going pop could knock the tyre off the rim.
    He is sending me out a new stronger tube so I'll see how that goes.
    I know it'll be playing on my mind though as I'm cycling.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

blade1 wrote: »
    ... I know it'll be playing on my mind though as I'm cycling.:(

Don't worry about it, 99.99% of blowouts are due to either incorrect tyre mounting (tyre bead not seated on rim properly) or tyre failure (eg: too-high brake pad rubs hole in tyre wall or other large cut from sharp debris).
    And, if a tube does fail inside the tyre due to a manufacturing defect, it won't explode and blow off the tyre, it'll just fail with a loud hiss and the tyre will go flat, although possibly very quickly. However, tube failure within the tyre is rare, and even then, it'll probably go down slow enough for you to stop safely (and curse ;))

Advertisement