Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Bel has upped their price to 37cpl + vat for all 2018.

Seems the French Coops are going to push farmers into non-gmo.
    Lots of Coops, including my own, are pushing hard for this. Looking like an extra 1.7cpl for non-gmo milk and an extra 0.8cpl for cows that are grazed.
    Lactalis are even going with it, and they wouldn’t be a small Coop...

Probably get the non-gmo bonus for a while and then it’ll taken for granted.

that's the problem, going non gmo will only pass additional costs back to the farmers. there is no usp if every coop in Europe is non gmo. It strikes me as a bit of a sales gimmick by the coops.
    The non gmo movement seems to be largely driven by activists rather than any science based argument that it will improve anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,730 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    95% of my 2018 milk is fixed here, with glanbia so it's a no -brainier, given co-op supports are paid on top of fixed milk and are used to prop up base millk price at every opertiunity...
    Butter is driving the revival at the minute, smp/wmp are noting to get excited about price wise, I love the security of having milk fixed can plan my budgets and do projections without worrying about another year like 16
    How much had you fixed last year and how much did you lose out by being in it? In other news is anyone going to the agm tomorrow according to the farming indo there will be farmers there to bring up the subject of the makey up payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

yewtree wrote: »
    that's the problem, going non gmo will only pass additional costs back to the farmers. there is no usp if every coop in Europe is non gmo. It strikes me as a bit of a sales gimmick by the coops.
    The non gmo movement seems to be largely driven by activists rather than any science based argument that it will improve anything.

Exactly.
    Coops seem to pander to the social ‘rebellion’ against science to sell ‘their’ product...whilst pretty much ignoring the provenance of a quality product from actual farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Exactly.
    Coops seem to pander to the social ‘rebellion’ against science to sell ‘their’ product...whilst pretty much ignoring the provenance of a quality product from actual farms.

You're both correct on this one, but so are the co-ops.

The coops sell product...they must market and sell...

The farmer doesn't sell...he supplies...

If the farmer still went selling door to door with his churn of milk, he would sell exactly what the customer wanted..

This is the conundrum. Does the coop spend it's effort trying to educate the customer, or does it spend it's effort trying to supply what the customer wants..

Farmers have become detached from the art of selling.

Why is Henry corbally no longer chairman of glanbia plc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I suppose we'll have another 2c drop for may, :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is usually a, time limit on being a Chair and indeed a Board Member of a Coop, not usual in a PLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    Why is Henry corbally no longer chairman of glanbia plc?

Because some other nonentity who has risen without trace has been elected instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I suppose we'll have another 2c drop for may, :mad:

Real reason for the " hardship payments" is to only pull the price when it should be steady

Because some other nonentity who has risen without trace has been elected instead of him.

Hard to believe Henry had served 3 years as chairman. That time flew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GDT down 1.3%

Butter down 3.5%

SMP up 0.3%

Cheddar down 3.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

GDT down 1.3%

Butter down 3.5%

SMP up 0.3%

Cheddar down 3.6%

June 1st, end of season in NZ. Emptying stores.

I honestly can’t see price dropping here this month and expect an increase next month

Edit: all indicators are thus imo

I honestly can’t see price dropping here this month and expect an increase next month

I hope you're right

Edit: all indicators are thus imo
    You can't see us being paid less or you can see being paid last months price without the makey-up topup?

GDT down 1.3%

Butter down 3.5%

SMP up 0.3%

Cheddar down 3.6%

Prices hardening across the Eu.

Was talking to a member of the board of the Coop and he was saying that we could be looking at 37-38cpl + vat for July/Aug/Sept.

Should know next week and I’ll post.

You can't see us being paid less or you can see being paid last months price without the makey-up topup?

My only concern is what I lodge per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭degetme

Any kerry suppliers get the online text re fixing milk price at 33cl inc vat? Whats yer opinion?

Forward Price Scheme launches Online next Tuesday 12 June at 3pm. Indicative price 33cpl (July-Oct 2018 & Mar-June 2019) @ 3.30 Prot/3.60 Bfat incl VAT

degetme wrote: »
    Any kerry suppliers get the online text re fixing milk price at 33cl inc vat? Whats yer opinion?

Forward Price Scheme launches Online next Tuesday 12 June at 3pm. Indicative price 33cpl (July-Oct 2018 & Mar-June 2019) @ 3.30 Prot/3.60 Bfat incl VAT

Plus VAT, or including? That incorporates all of next year's peak???

If 33 including VAT, it is the plc running scared of high input costs and trying to put some control on its exposure.

If you can't survive sub 33c and need to control your risk, well fine, but if you think that the market is going to return less than 33 from here to June 19, then forget it.....it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭degetme

alps wrote: »
    Plus VAT, or including? That incorporates all of next year's peak???

If 33 including VAT, it is the plc running scared of high input costs and trying to put some control on its exposure.

If you can't survive sub 33c and need to control your risk, well fine, but if you think that the market is going to return less than 33 from here to June 19, then forget it.....it's not

Inc vat. And on your solids bonus then. Just wanted opinions.

What's the current 3 year fixed price from glanbia? 31?

• Advertisement

... but if you think that the market is going to return less than 33 from here to June 19, then forget it.....it's not

What’s your reasoning behind this Alps?

....corn futures?

What’s your reasoning behind this Alps?

....corn futures?

Milk price on 3 year cycles, so should still be on the upcycle through June 19. From 32 now, this has to pass through 33 for much of that period.

If this offer was for a longer period of time, say until June 20, then it may look more exciting.

The offer, for such a short period really doesn't deserve the title "fixed price". It dosnt fulfilany of the suppliers needs of certainty. It's miles too short to be of benefit. Its more like an extended monthly price...

Fixed milk price can only be of benefit if it can be fixed before the down swing, or is for a long enough period to give certainty for budgeting. If milk is on 3 year cycles that certainty period should be closer to 6 years...ie 2 cycles

Budgeting now needs to be done over 6 year periods, it only makes sence that for a fixed price to be of corresponding benefit, then it should also be for 6 years, otherwise forget it, and use different tactics to smooth out your finances..

Milk price on 3 year cycles, so should still be on the upcycle through June 19. From 32 now, this has to pass through 33 for much of that period.

If this offer was for a longer period of time, say until June 20, then it may look more exciting.

The offer, for such a short period really doesn't deserve the title "fixed price". It dosnt fulfilany of the suppliers needs of certainty. It's miles too short to be of benefit. Its more like an extended monthly price...

Fixed milk price can only be of benefit if it can be fixed before the down swing, or is for a long enough period to give certainty for budgeting. If milk is on 3 year cycles that certainty period should be closer to 6 years...ie 2 cycles

Budgeting now needs to be done over 6 year periods, it only makes sence that for a fixed price to be of corresponding benefit, then it should also be for 6 years, otherwise forget it, and use different tactics to smooth out your finances..

What other sector would accept a 6 year fixed wage? . Just look at diesel price since April. 3 years is more than long enough

Had 2 French groups visit today. All dairy farmers from Normandy area. One group this morning and one this afternoon.

Their price at the moment is 31.9c/l for 4 fat and 3.5 p

Second group is 32c/l for 4 and 3.5

Bothe supplying small processors producing cheese.

They thought it was extraordinary the amount of work we do and all asked what holidays we took. They couldn’t believe we take 2 weeks hols, they really thought we were tied to the cows. They really must make a meal out of any work they do, all talk of coffee breaks, lifestyle and tractors

Had 2 French groups visit today. All dairy farmers from Normandy area. One group this morning and one this afternoon.

They thought it was extraordinary the amount of work we do and all asked what holidays we took. They couldn’t believe we take 2 weeks hols, they really thought we were tied to the cows. They really must make a meal out of any work they do, all talk of coffee breaks, lifestyle and tractors

Look like you spotted the French MO perfectly....

We drink coffee to stay awake, they drink coffee to relax...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Who's to say we're right and they're wrong. ...
    Just tossing in a grenade for the craic

Who's to say we're right and they're wrong. ...
    Just tossing in a grenade for the craic

Of course they’re right, so are we it’s what makes you tick that matters.

My main point was their poor milk price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My main point was their poor milk price

Of course they’re right, so are we it’s what makes you tick that matters.

We would do the same but it's not possible with high input prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Advertisement