Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,730 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was looking on glanbia connect last night, week 28 protein was 3.33 for 2018, was 3.43 for 2017 . Fair difference there, must be a good few lads under the 3.3 base price level . At 3.48 here

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was looking on glanbia connect last night, week 28 protein was 3.33 for 2018, was 3.43 for 2017 . Fair difference there, must be a good few lads under the 3.3 base price level . At 3.48 here

mine has crashed to 3.33 in the last 2 weeks from 3.6 . all doe bf has gone up to 4.6 from 3.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bf is staying stubbornly at 3.6 or so here protein down to 3.35. Just grass and 6kg meal, altho the evening grass leaves a bit to be desired, doing 25 to 26 litres roughly. Looking at last year was 3.5p and 3.9 bf for last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bf is staying stubbornly at 3.6 or so here protein down to 3.35. Just grass and 6kg meal, altho the evening grass leaves a bit to be desired, doing 25 to 26 litres roughly. Looking at last year was 3.5p and 3.9 bf for last July.

at least u have some grass lad . i have heard stories that some farmers have eaten through all their first silage its worrying times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

at least u have some grass lad . i have heard stories that some farmers have eaten through all their first silage its worrying times ahead

Without a doubt. Grazing thru second cut at the minute, will be finished by Wednesday. After that it'll be bales. I have about 70 to 80% of winter feed, would still be hopeful of making another share of bales as with silage ground in sr is dropped to 2.4. In a tb ****storm as well with another 12 down so sr being reduced whether I like it or not.
    General consensus now is keep the feed levels up and put the condition on the cows while there may be some return from the tank as we'll all likely be feed ration to stretch silage when dry anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭visatorro

I know a couple of people here worked off farm, wages can be made up loads of different ways. I don't really mind what they call it as long as its in the account. I can't really see a problem. If we're going to be cut there's nothing we can do. They didn't this month. Great. Move on to next month. Its just the way business works now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Near half the milker pit gone here, was feeding about 12grabs a day, but back to 5 now, and 5kg hulls, will have to keep going with the hulls most the rest of the yr, between them and extra nuts the bill will come to an easy 30k, however still near half the yr of milk to be produced, or call it 120k in milk sales, that 30k in nuts is vital to keep the milk show on the road. Dec the only month here I'm not sure about yet, was a very tidy 17k cheque last Dec, I'd rather not be forced into losing much of that if I gotta dryoff early due to lacking decent fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Finest

1 cpl increase 31 cpl plus vat (32.67 cpl incl Vat).

What way are solids paid for with strathroy are there any flat rate bonuses included in the milk price . As Strathroy don't take part in the kpmg it's hard for an outsider to gauge their performance.

dar31 wrote: »
    always at the back of my mind, the more glan mess with milk price and how they pay it the more tempted i am.
    i much prefer to get "X" price for my milk and no messing around with top ups, hardship funds and fixed milk prices.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

While glanbia are messing around setting price the bottom line is they have paid more for their manufacturing milk pool over the last 3 years than all other coops bar carbery . The problem I see with this though is that they set the price retrospectively after seeing what the others pay . This is poor form from our largest milk purchaser they should be leading out the market not cutely following it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mooooo wrote:
    Without a doubt. Grazing thru second cut at the minute, will be finished by Wednesday. After that it'll be bales. I have about 70 to 80% of winter feed, would still be hopeful of making another share of bales as with silage ground in sr is dropped to 2.4. In a tb ****storm as well with another 12 down so sr being reduced whether I like it or not. General consensus now is keep the feed levels up and put the condition on the cows while there may be some return from the tank as we'll all likely be feed ration to stretch silage when dry anyway

Ya Dept are reading tomorrow, f hardship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 GreenPower15

Kerry Agribusiness Milk Supplier - Lads was just looking at my fathers milk check there today and one of the deductions is Volume adjustment what the feck is this its always a couple of hundreds deducted??

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Ya Dept are reading tomorrow, f hardship
    Best of luck

Kerry Agribusiness Milk Supplier - Lads was just looking at my fathers milk check there today and one of the deductions is Volume adjustment what the feck is this its always a couple of hundreds deducted??

This is the so called minus c portion of your milk price , if your solids are above average as a general rule the higher the volume deduction your purchaser operates the better off you will be. This is what makes the prices quoted by coops at a Base of 3.30 and 3.60 so unreliable for comparing milk price , for example coop a and coop b quote the same price of say 32 cent per litre at the same base of 3.30 and 3.60 but coop b have a 4 cent per litre volume deduction compared to coop a with a 3.35 cent deduction you will get a better price in coop b if your milk solids are above the 3.30 and 3.60 benchmark and the higher the solids the greater the gap. The reality is that most manufacturing milk will be considerably higher than 3.30 pr and 3.60 bf over the course of the full season. This partly explains why some coops look good in the monthly milk league but fall down in the kpmg audit every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Finest wrote: »
    What way are solids paid for with strathroy are there any flat rate bonuses included in the milk price . As Strathroy don't take part in the kpmg it's hard for an outsider to gauge their performance.
    Strathroy pay based on 3.3 protein and 3.6 fat and -4c for litres, the very same as Glanbia's basis. They also pay 0.25 c/l ex vat for TBC < 10, (0.15 if less than 20) and another 0.25 c/l ex vat for SCC < 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

July, August and September.

35.5cpl + vat + 2.5/3.0 cpl (off season bonus).
    Happy enough.
    The off season ‘bonus’ is my own money really because 1.5cpl was deducted from all March, April and May supplies and will be re-distributed to all litres supplied in off season iykwim.

****Btw.***
    There are obviously some ‘spurious’ frogs being employed as collaborateurs to confuse the humble farmer on milk price....so, if dodgy looking ‘French’ dairy farmers turn up on your doorstep masquerading as farmers...tell them where to go.

Hint. They may sound very like Pepe le Phew...

Seriously though, if anyone needs to know what any Coop or ‘boutique cheese’ creamery is paying for milk, just post their name and I’ll give a report on their last three months pay...and the next three months pay, within 24hrs.
    Alternative facts serve nobody only the people who promote them...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

July, August and September.

35.5cpl + vat + 2.5/3.0 cpl (off season bonus).
    Happy enough.
    The off season ‘bonus’ is my own money really because 1.5cpl was deducted from all March, April and May supplies and will be re-distributed to all litres supplied in off season iykwim.

****Btw.***
    There are obviously some ‘spurious’ frogs being employed as collaborateurs to confuse the humble farmer on milk price....so, if dodgy looking ‘French’ dairy farmers turn up on your doorstep masquerading as farmers...tell them where to go.

Hint. They may sound very like Pepe le Phew...

Seriously though, if anyone needs to know what any Coop or ‘boutique cheese’ creamery is paying for milk, just post their name and I’ll give a report on their last three months pay...and the next three months pay, within 24hrs.
    Alternative facts serve nobody only the people who promote them...

Tried to shake down my crowd for a winter milk contract and the rep reckoned they are fully covered for winter months supplywise....
    He might get back to us, let him know I’ll be drying up early, selling the bank of silage I have built up and culling cows if he doesn’t....

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Tried to shake down my crowd for a winter milk contract and the rep reckoned they are fully covered for winter months supplywise....
    He might get back to us, let him know I’ll be drying up early, selling the bank of silage I have built up and culling cows if he doesn’t....

The Coop's know lads that run your system have to send in milk. Your stuck in it now when you milk all year round and don't have compact calving. It's a empty threat in fairness, the Coop's won't increase winter contracts because there is more than enough lads to send it in without a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

yewtree wrote: »
    The Coop's know lads that run your system have to send in milk. Your stuck in it now when you milk all year round and don't have compact calving. It's a empty threat in fairness, the Coop's won't increase winter contracts because there is more than enough lads to send it in without a bonus

It’s an exceptional year, would you bank on if your a milk processor lads milking on if they’ve to buy in all their feed, if things really go south,the liquid lads with contract will get it hard to fill their quota I’d reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

there are other, better alternatives to genetically modified and other grains that Kerrygold could feed its cows to increase the quality of the Kerrygold Products, including 100pc hay
    I wonder if we can make enough hay in the 1 in 40 years we get a prolonged dry spell to last us the entire 40 years till we get the next one:rolleyes:

jaymla627 wrote: »

Going forward it’s not feasible to expect processors to manufacture high value products when the milk supply is over a few short months...

Was always going to happen. There’s a big difference between what a yankee consumer understands to be ‘grass fed’ and what Bord Bia thinks it means.

Irish ‘grass fed’ beef fell at the same hurdle.

Afaik, the yankee definition of grass fed also means antibiotic free, gmo free etc.
    Irish ‘organic’ wouldn’t even make the cut.

As of January next I’ll be getting 1.7cpl for being gmo free. How bad because I’m producing gmo free anyhow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Going forward it’s not feasible to expect processors to manufacture high value products when the milk supply is over a few short months...

Question is will they pay more for milk over winter ???they don’t have to atm because so many milk late calvers /empties right thru

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Question is will they pay more for milk over winter ???they don’t have to atm because so many milk late calvers /empties right thru

Might be different this year. Any word on glanbia liquid price? Deal expired in June afaik.

6600 wrote: »
    Strathroy pay based on 3.3 protein and 3.6 fat and -4c for litres, the very same as Glanbia's basis. They also pay 0.25 c/l ex vat for TBC < 10, (0.15 if less than 20) and another 0.25 c/l ex vat for SCC < 150.

Strathroy appear well off the pace in the north are all suppliers on abc 2.5 pence is a big gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That could be trouble for them.
    I often wonder how much beef is sold out as Bord bia beef compared to how much of it gets payed to the farmer selling in the cattle
    "Processing within ‘factories’ then does not particularly lend itself to individual product-line separation."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Perhaps this is why cull cows are so popular in France? What I mean is all my cull cows are fattened on grass only.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bullocks wrote: »

That could be trouble for them.
    I often wonder how much beef is sold out as Bord bia beef compared to how much of it gets payed to the farmer selling in the cattle
    "Processing within ‘factories’ then does not particularly lend itself to individual product-line separation."

With modern technology it can't be hard to trace back meat, it'd be foolish to claim QA on meat that wasn't.
    Would Tesco take a processors word on it being QA.
    Apparently it's traceable from ''Farm to Fork''

Advertisement