Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

moneyheer wrote: »
    Glanbia we're complaining that the protein was too high in liquid milk last year., Their answer was cap protein leval to be paid on or cut price. Seemingly they can't touch the protein in liquid milk by law.

Are you sure about the protein?

Fat is separated from milk and then reconstituted to bring up to 3.6%

Just wondering, if they remove fat at 4.2%, say 42g of fat from the litre of milk and then reintroduce 36g to standardise it, it would have the effect of increasing the percentage of protein in the newly reconstituted litre.

However the packaging states protein is at 3.4%. Is this just a guideline figure, or do they have some way of standardizing the protein too?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

That was my understanding of it. i.e. they can't touch protein. It was at a liquid milk meeting. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

That was my understanding of it. i.e. they can't touch protein. It was at a liquid milk meeting. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my take on it.

I think it's more that they can't get at it. Dispersed throughout the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Gman1987

Can they not use Lactose to standardise like they do in most other manufacturing plant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Protein can only be fractioned out by processing eg casein. Cannot simply extract and add back in as you do with fat and minerals.
    Lactose is a sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Gman1987

Water John wrote: »
    Protein can only be fractioned out by processing eg casein. Cannot simply extract and add back in as you do with fat and minerals.
    Lactose is a sugar.

Look it up, milk can be standardised to 3.3% protein and 3.6% fat, maybe they dont do this for liquid milk but it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Glanbia will pay 32cpl for August milk. No Coop support no mention of bonus for first 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold held at 31.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn milk price up 0.1 cent to 32.2 ,amounts to about 70 euro for me ,some insult and without checking it’s proably just to keep us a nose in front of one or 2 certain others ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn milk price up 0.1 cent to 32.2 ,amounts to about 70 euro for me ,some insult and without checking it’s proably just to keep us a nose in front of one or 2 certain others ....

what did C.R. predict at the AGM thought there was mention pf 34/35 base

was expecting at least 1c. of +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »
    what did C.R. predict at the AGM thought there was mention pf 34/35 base

was expecting at least 1c. of +

Your correct and likewise was expecting 1 cent ,these drought/market etc bonuses really irritate me .milk price is and should be that

Prob said this before but any coops should not be saying hardship bonus etc. It is different with the plc structures of glanbia and Kerry., but the dairygold arrabawn etc should be just saying what the price is and the coops accounts will tell the rest.

Interesting article from icmsa

Intervention stocks of skim now down to 145k tonnes from 286k tonnes at peak.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/intervention-stocks-almost-halved-after-latest-smp-tender-405266

Also starting twice monthly sales of intervention skim from next month.

May as well do as the kiwis do and offload as much as possible during the off peak period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    May as well do as the kiwis do and offload as much as possible during the off peak period

??

I suppose Jackie Really Hay and Dublin Bay Loftus controlled the Government at one stage too...

Off peak in Ireland is not the same as the vast majority of milk production throughout Europe.

Should never have been intervention in the first place...

• Advertisement

??

I suppose Jackie Really Hay and Dublin Bay Loftus controlled the Government at one stage too...

Off peak in Ireland is not the same as the vast majority of milk production throughout Europe.

Should never have been intervention in the first place...
    Arrah, tis grand, dawg.

Only the French stuff left there now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Arrah, tis grand, dawg.

That ould French powder has the whole place bloked up.

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mf240 wrote: »
    That ould French powder has the whole place bloked up.

:D

And at least its nitrates compliant.

Arrah, tis grand, dawg.

Ouch.
    Harsh there Chief.

In defense of the French Paysans...

Everyone knows that Irish cheese (and wine) is by far the most prestigious in the world.
    The French paysans need every tax break/concession and vat rebate/refund, plus all the numerous grants like tams etc etc etc etc, plus intervention to buy their worthless product, just to be able to keep the family farm afloat.
    Without the almost infinite handouts/bailouts/government subsidies that the French government make available to the dairy farmers, the Coops wouldn’t be able to make commodity slaves of the paysans and thus become global players.
    With the ever helpful government support for destroying and polluting the countryside they’re just about able to compete at an international level for commodity market share.

That is why origin green milk powder sells waaay ahead of origin bleu crappy milk powders.

:).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Ouch.
    Harsh there Chief.

In defense of the French Paysans...

Everyone knows that Irish cheese (and wine) is by far the most prestigious in the world.
    The French paysans need every tax break/concession and vat rebate/refund, plus all the numerous grants like tams etc etc etc etc, plus intervention to buy their worthless product, just to be able to keep the family farm afloat.
    Without the almost infinite handouts/bailouts/government subsidies that the French government make available to the dairy farmers, the Coops wouldn’t be able to make commodity slaves of the paysans and thus become global players.
    With the ever helpful government support for destroying and polluting the countryside they’re just about able to compete at an international level for commodity market share.

That is why origin green milk powder sells waaay ahead of origin bleu crappy milk powders.

:).

Did you get the rose tinted glasses when you emigrated first or did the motherland post them out to you after a couple of years? :p

MF290 wrote: »
    Did you get the rose tinted glasses when you emigrated first or did the motherland post them out to you after a couple of years? :p

Those glasses I got from here...:)

Btw, the milk spot price has been hovering around *35cpl for quite a while now.
    Thought ye might like to know...

* + vat.

Whats the strathroy liquid milk scheme like, how long does it run for? Also what did they pay for August milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Hope this is clear when you enlarge...some interesting data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

whelan2 wrote: »
    Whats the strathroy liquid milk scheme like, how long does it run for? Also what did they pay for August milk?

Don't know about liquid, but 33 inc for Aug

Advertisement