Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

the grants that are available are just a form of accelerated capital allowances, every business across the world has capital allowances, the use of the grants reduces the cost of asset and brings us back into the tax net quicker than dragging it out over 7 years

grants are not widely taken up, a lot of allocated money goes back into pot/eu
    1. All costs of products and services go up due to the scrutiny under schemes, e.g steel with and without ce mark, all made in one factory one is stamped every 6 months and the other is not, you would be talking of 20% cost increase
    2. bureaucracy of scheme mean you will have works complete between 2/3 years before you receive grant monies (unless a general election is close by) interest eats away a nice chunk of grant
    3. You cant build any building near to the cost the department seem to think they can build these grant spec buildings so its a small % of build cost

we have come along way from farmers not having to paying tax in ireland as it was in the 70's, i would have though US would be most heavily subsided/protected in western world followed by canada and france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Correct.

Just pointing out that Irish dairy farmers are one of the most heavily subsidized in the western world.
    The narrative of the powers that be is quite the opposite...coupled with the denial that is posted on here.

Just because I speak the truth am I therefore to become your enemy?

Aghhh but tho our green image ,and our cows and cattle on a grass fed diet etc etc etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

but is nt the same diffwrence if everyone is registered forvat in france.whether you are registered for vat or have the system we have with a combination of zero rates and rebates it probaly works out similar .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

K.G. wrote: »
    but is nt the same diffwrence if everyone is registered forvat in france.whether you are registered for vat or have the system we have with a combination of zero rates and rebates it probaly works out similar .

Correct. It’s just a simpler and less bureaucratic way the clever Irish have of doing things. Sure we all know the French love a bit of complication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

No.
    Vat reductions and rebates are a subsidy. End of.

I changed the slurry tank a while back...nada from anybody!

@ Atlantic mist.
    I fully understand the hassle that those schemes bring with them, but would you rather they weren’t there?
    I’ve been hearing about the grant loaded French farmers and the protectionist agriculture policy...I certainly haven’t seen any grants whatsoever. I didn’t even qualify for the Brussels ski holiday as they were means tested.

Stop digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

to me the grants are there to encourage and speed up farmers to moderinise facilities by receiving an amount to reduce capital spend as oppose to claiming as capital allowance over 7 years - is this aid if the financial result is the same over a period of 7 years (some people cant resist if they think they are getting a bargain)

makes no odds to me if grants are in or not (same as SFP, im too young to have been able to taken advantage of something called a reference year) im happy to do my own thing and writing it off over the 7 years is just as financially viable as going through grant scheme, i see that it can reduce some farmers risk of default on a loan by reducing capital spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id imagine land costs is the main advantage French ag has, along with a large internal market so to speak for fresh produce, wholemilk etc? Are rents and land price set to speak by the state? I could be well off now.

No.
    Vat reductions and rebates are a subsidy. End of.

I changed the slurry tank a while back...nada from anybody!

@ Atlantic mist.
    I fully understand the hassle that those schemes bring with them, but would you rather they weren’t there?
    I’ve been hearing about the grant loaded French farmers and the protectionist agriculture policy...I certainly haven’t seen any grants whatsoever. I didn’t even qualify for the Brussels ski holiday as they were means tested.

Stop digging.
    not going to let this one go.prove to me how our system of zero on main inputs but paying on oil vet srrvices,contracting etc but getting vat rebat on sales works out much different to being registered in france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

not going to let this one go.prove to me how our system of zero on main inputs but paying on oil vet srrvices,contracting etc but getting vat rebat on sales works out much different to being registered in france

What’s the vat on milk sales?

for non registered farmers there is no vat charged but you get vat rebate of 5.2 %to allow for vat paid on certain inputs more or less.are you saying the the gov collects and keeps the vat between farmer and purchaser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What do lads think of kerry fixed price offer 33.1 cpl inc. vat @ 3.3 proltein/3.6 b fat for march - october 2019 .
    I am a bit tempted to throw the max amount into it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

cute geoge wrote: »
    What do lads think of kerry fixed price offer 33.1 cpl inc. vat @ 3.3 proltein/3.6 b fat for march - october 2019 .

That's a nice vote of confidence considering Lakelands etc talking down the price of milk last month. I've never fixed any milk here (and doubt I've won or lost either way), however at 33c I'd do similar and lump in as much as I could.

I'd go with that. What percentage of supply are they talking off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think you can apply for anything up to 20% of you contract

cute geoge wrote: »

Snap up what ever amount of it u can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GDT down 2%.
    O59YWJu.jpg

Another 30k tonnes of skim sold out of intervention this month.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/over-30-000t-of-smp-sold-from-intervention-417711
    At this rate, it will all be mostly gone early in the new year and start putting a bit of upward pressure on skim prices again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Will price stay the same for October?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will price stay the same for October?

Highly unlikely I’d say.

Ppi is down

Highly unlikely I’d say.

Ppi is down

Yep and milk pouring in ,im hopefully it’ll hold but pressure def on ,early season New Zealand production up 6% .butter price still dropping also a negative unless something happens next year could be very tricky as another flood of milk will pour in from Europe with any sort of normal season .america going to need watching too supply up but price and market sentiment down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Against that though Australian milk has and is taking z serious output hit and America whilst rising has not reached last year's levels yet AND Last year We were paid more by Glanbia than this year
    I'd expect a holding pattern untill at least Brexit implications are known
    Then it could be up or down
    GDT volumes wouldn't be great this time of the year so not the best benchmark

Base price has been under the ppi anyway in dairygold so holding should be a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Glanbia hold price at 32c

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Glanbia hold price at 32c
    That'll help pay the tax bill :cool:

Did lakelands announce their price yet?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did lakelands announce their price yet?
    They held at 32.78c/l with a 0.28c/l lactose bonus so 33.06c/l for October.

Kerry hold price @32c/l @3.6/3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭degetme

Kerry hold price @32c/l @3.6/3.3

Did you subscribe to the 33cl scheme for next year. Applied for 20% and only got 64% of the 20%

degetme wrote: »
    Did you subscribe to the 33cl scheme for next year. Applied for 20% and only got 64% of the 20%
    No, I decided not to. I'm well covered from the previous one but it did look worthwhile for fix with that one.

• Advertisement

Dairygold held at 31.5c/L

Advertisement