Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    You obviously don't listen to too much radio or tv! If you did you'd realize the traction climate change is gathering in the media in the last few months, how dairy farmers are among the main culprits, and that 'sustainable farming' is the current buzzword, so our co-ops who are in the business of selling our product have to be pro active in keeping our 'green' image. If you think it's only your business how you produce your milk I think it's time you came out of the fog, this is only the start.

Care to educate a thick person like myself how milk recording on its own will make my dairy farm more sustainable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

I'm milk recording for yrs but its amazing when you challenge the milk manager from time to time about how there might be a bit of a difference between what the co-op gives for solids and in the recording,the milk recoding is dismissed out of hand.just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The simple argument for milk recording is that you can identify and breed off your best cows, and get rid of the worst ones. A cow with 350kgs milk solids emitting the same methane as a 550kg cow in your herd is hardly efficient. Now extend that to the national herd and it starts to make an impact. As I said this is just a first step by Dairygold encouraging you to do something you should already be doing for your own good anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    A cow with 350kgs milk solids emitting the same methane as a 550kg cow in your herd is hardly efficient. Now extend that to the national herd and it starts to make an impact..

If environmental or stocking rate limits begin to be imposed, will milk recording form some of its basis. For instance if a 10% cull of the herd was to be imposed, from a national benefit point of view, would it make sence that the lower 10% yield wise be targetted..

Just asking!! There does seem to be a determined effort to get everyone to milk record..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What % actually milk record? Is it 50% Milk recording here years, wouldn't be without it. On the a6 scheme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    What % actually milk record? Is it 50% Milk recording here years, wouldn't be without it. On the a6 scheme

Last I saw it was less than 20%, I think.

What % of people that do milk record actually use the results for selective culling?

That was the point I was getting at above that was seemed to be missed. Milk recording in it's own right does nothing to address the sustainability of the dairy herd, unless the results are acted upon. The few I know that do it mostly do so to control a SCC problem.

Personally, I think a better starting point to this 'sustainability' drive would be to require all herds to be full-time at grass for a minimum number of months per year. These large units that are beginning to appear that have cows housed for large portions, if not all, of the year have to potential to do much more damage to our 'green image' and needs to be nipped in the bud imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What % of people that do milk record actually use the results for selective culling?

That was the point I was getting at above that was seemed to be missed. Milk recording in it's own right does nothing to address the sustainability of the dairy herd, unless the results are acted upon. The few I know that do it mostly do so to control a SCC problem.

Personally, I think a better starting point to this 'sustainability' drive would be to require all herds to be full-time at grass for a minimum number of months per year. These large units that are beginning to appear that have cows housed for large portions, if not all, of the year have to potential to do much more damage to our 'green image' and needs to be nipped in the bud imho.

Cows where 190 days here in full-time last winter/spring , if I had been a hero and adopted your genius ideas of grazing when my land simply couldn’t carry them I’d be planting forestry on a good bit of my ground with the state it would of been left in after, soil erosion and nitrate leeching I can nearly guarantee is a lot bigger problem with your ideal 300 plus days at grass herd then your housed system

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Cows where 190 days here in full-time last winter/spring , if I had been a hero and adopted your genius ideas of grazing when my land simply couldn’t carry them I’d be planting forestry on a good bit of my ground with the state it would of been left in after, soil erosion and nitrate leeching I can nearly guarantee is a lot bigger problem with your ideal 300 plus days at grass herd then your housed system

I think you need to reread my post there sheriff. I don't recall ever mentioning 300 days at grass or grazing in poor conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I think you need to reread my post there sheriff. I don't recall ever mentioning 300 days at grass or grazing in poor conditions

How many days is the cut-off point so, would their be a derogation for lads on wetter land, the whole origin green theme really does go to some people’s heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I'm use it monthly. All data uploaded to agrinet app. I use it extensively for breeding selection. Any lady that doesn't stack up with solids gets a beef straw. You'd be surprised sometimes. You could think a cows average and then you look at her solids and she could be doing 650+ kgs of milk solids. The best cows you never notice.

80,000t of skim sold on the 8th at €1554.90.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/over-80-000t-of-smp-sold-from-intervention-432075
    Looks like the skim overhang will be gone in a few week which will be good for sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Farney Farmer

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I'm use it monthly. All data uploaded to agrinet app. I use it extensively for breeding selection. Any lady that doesn't stack up with solids gets a beef straw. You'd be surprised sometimes. You could think a cows average and then you look at her solids and she could be doing 650+ kgs of milk solids. The best cows you never notice.

How much does it cost to milk record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

100 cow herd 4 times in the year think it worked out around 956 euro for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Glanbia no change December
    30c base
    Plus 2c support
    32c/l

Did lake lands announce their December price yet?

Did lake lands announce their December price yet?
    Announced on Friday, I think. Holding at 32.06c/l

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/lakeland-announces-december-price-with-bonus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭green daries

Hi just wondering what tonnage of skim is left in intervention roughly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

22 k tonnes I think

Some 22,000t still left in stocks according to the link above.

• Advertisement

GDT up 4.2%
    q2RrB5D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

See glanbia ha e an extra 5 week month this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold held at 31.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

See glanbia ha e an extra 5 week month this year

When?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    When?

Will check when I'm off scraper surfing. August. Rep was telling me last year they needed it to get accounts back in line, some months finishing 25th etc, not enough time to collect money between milk cheques being paid and new month starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

dalalada wrote: »
    Predictions for milk price in 2019?

Marginally up on 2018, however were going to have a greater range on the milk league. We have the west Cork gang easily paying out well above the rest.

Their 2 will change around a bit with 2 or 3 of the higher contenders here having undertaken and about to undertake some extraordinary expenditure, not only will repay,ents but bank requirements for higher profits, will see a strained milk price.

North Cork and Aurivo to climb through these ranks, while Lakeland/LacPatrick stay heavy breathing for a while after their copulation. The plcs will be interesting....guessing they'll still want to guard the bottom section of the league in case anyone should fall out.

On MSA's , opportunities to give notice of leaving, will pass off with single digit siqnaturies, however there may be a coop launch a different template to the one currently in use.

Brexit won't happen, as yet anyway, so Strathroy will continue business as usual....

Result 0.5 to 2.5c ahead of 2018, depending on who you supply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Advertisement