Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

They were telling the truth just not the whole truth. PLCs are almost obligated to purchase at least cost. And the benefit from the value added goes to the PLC and is distributed by dividend and not by milk price.

Get used to being paid just enough to keep your nose above water level would be my view on it.

Would agree regarding the PLCs but in the case of some the Co Ops at least. A lot of fanciful stuff was being spoken about that was far from the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

41.93 cent per litre for February milk @ 5.07 fat and 3.74 protein scc 63

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

mahoney_j wrote:

Nice way to start the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »

serious solids for your yields MJ

orm0nd wrote: »
    serious solids for your yields MJ

Arse wasn't long falling out of them 31.34 Ltrs 4.28 3.37!last collection .2.46 kg milk solids still respectable for an auld herd of hols ,more in them once weather settles and I can go 24/36 hour breaks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt back up 1.7% today.amount on offer approx 23000 tons.wmp back up a bit after falling in last couple of goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Got 44.84 at 5.01 and 4.31

&

Got 45.51 at 5.31 and 4.31

Glanbia are real bastards

&

Actually compared to the price Mahony got for his milk with lower solids form Arrabawn. You may have a point. However you would need to bear in mind that results such as that so early in the year could indicate a certain level of colostrum in the milk also. Not necessarily of course, but it wouldn't be unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Actually compared to the price Mahony got for his milk with lower solids form Arrabawn. You may have a point. However you would need to bear in mind that results such as that so early in the year could indicate a certain level of colostrum in the milk also. Not necessarily of course, but it wouldn't be unheard of.

What did you get from Arrranawn, Ed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mute point with Glanbia as of yet as they aren't fining suppliers for colostrum milk it is best practice though apparently, heifers go into tank here on second milking and cows on third/fourth as using 24hr withdrawal dc tubes, absolute gift to be able to let in cows so early plus no waste milk to be dealing with

• Advertisement

What did you get from Arrranawn, Ed?

4.26 F 3.28 P 34.222 cent. Cows were still on silage and no beastings allowed in the tank. Not saying that people might do that intentionally . But realistically if a farmer has 75% of a herd calving in three weeks, it is possible that the first couple of collections in the year may be a bit higher than normal. If you read Mahonys post, while his solids are still very good. His experience would suggest that they have fallen since february. Of course there are many variables such as diet and genetics ect, but generally there should be no reason to expect march solids to be lower than february.

Actually by my estimation based on the top 10% price received by Arrabawn suppliers at 5.01F and 3.74 P of 44.321 cent. It would appear that Mahony lost out 2.5 cent in february by having some of his milk fixed. That's more money to share with the rest of us I suppose. But possibly when milk price falls again we will have to pay him back.

4.26 F 3.28 P 34.222 cent. Cows were still on silage and no beastings allowed in the tank. Not saying that people might do that intentionally . But realistically if a farmer has 75% of a herd calving in three weeks, it is possible that the first couple of collections in the year may be a bit higher than normal. If you read Mahonys post, while his solids are still very good. His experience would suggest that they have fallen since february. Of course there are many variables such as diet and genetics ect, but generally there should be no reason to expect march solids to be lower than february.

Ahem they've fallen because I've a lot of cows 4/6 weeks calved ,at high yields ,for last week not as much grass in diet as I'd like .i don't send beastings milk like ur suggesting ,all withdrawals fully adhered to as well thank u very much

Actually by my estimation based on the top 10% price received by Arrabawn suppliers at 5.01F and 3.74 P of 44.321 cent. It would appear that Mahony lost out 2.5 cent in february by having some of his milk fixed. That's more money to share with the rest of us I suppose. But possibly when milk price falls again we will have to pay him back.

Educate yourself ed ,fixed scheme not starting till 01/03 and I hope I'll get the 20% I've applied for .even currently with markets the way they are fixing is looking an excellent move

no fps for feb milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

&

Well done fair play.

Educate yourself ed ,fixed scheme not starting till 01/03 and I hope I'll get the 20% I've applied for .even currently with markets the way they are fixing is looking an excellent move

Then you need to contact the Co Op as you were underpaid. 5.01f and 3.74p made 44.321. Your fat was higher so you should have been paid more.

I never accused you of sending beastings, but as you said yourself. Cows calved five or six weeks are not having the same % solids as when they were freshly calved. So realistically you could draw the conclusion that the first few tests could be a bit deceptive. Your solids are good fair play even after the drop.

You could be right, fixing could be an excellent move for you. But as we have agreed to disagree about. If you get paid more everyone else gets paid less and vice versa. That is simply how the thing works.

Then you need to contact the Co Op as you were underpaid. 5.01f and 3.74p made 44.321. Your fat was higher so you should have been paid more.

I never accused you of sending beastings, but as you said yourself. Cows calved five or six weeks are not having the same % solids as when they were freshly calved. So realistically you could draw the conclusion that the first few tests could be a bit deceptive. Your solids are good fair play even after the drop.

You could be right, fixing could be an excellent move for you. But as we have agreed to disagree about. If you get paid more everyone else gets paid less and vice versa. That is simply how the thing works.
    Why worry about everyone else ??,that price of mine is what is on statement inclusive of 0.2 scc top up and 2 cent winter bonus ,top 10% includes liquid suppliers and that bonus

Why worry about everyone else ??,that price of mine is what is on statement inclusive of 0.2 scc top up and 2 cent winter bonus ,top 10% includes liquid suppliers and that bonus

If the top 10% includes liquid suppliers, then it just goes to prove how difficult it is to compare like with like. To more and diverse ways a milk purchaser has of paying for milk, the more difficult it becomes for farmers to compare price.

I wouldn't have thought your average liquid supplier would typically not be in to high solids also. Would have expected to find the high EBI spring calving and jex herds in the top 10%?

If the top 10% includes liquid suppliers, then it just goes to prove how difficult it is to compare like with like. To more and diverse ways a milk purchaser has of paying for milk, the more difficult it becomes for farmers to compare price.

I wouldn't have thought your average liquid supplier would typically not be in to high solids also. Would have expected to find the high EBI spring calving and jex herds in the top 10%?

To give a straight answer I couldn't care less ,I'm concerned about inside my gate and how I can maximise my solids ,milk production ,grass production etc etc

• Advertisement

To give a straight answer I couldn't care less ,I'm concerned about inside my gate and how I can maximise my solids ,milk production ,grass production etc etc

Ah yes. The farmer needs to keep the head down and not ask questions . forgot that sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

first milk cheque since December
    prot 3.57
    fat4.48
    scc 154
    36.257cl no fixed this month
    The Maximum Attainable Price at 3.30% Protein and 3.60% Butterfat is 31.376 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    Kerry supiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

39 l,7.2 fat 5.67 pr scc 0.11 price 65 cent/litre fixed with glanbia:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

3.1 prot 3.2 fat 99 cent a litre in aldi .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

mf240 wrote: »
    3.1 prot 3.2 fat 99 cent a litre in aldi .

As much as I give out about glanbia, the avonmore brand tastes far nicer than any shops own brand Iv tasted.
    Was trying to explain this to a townie friend, he wasn't really grasping the situation!

I'm too embarrassed to post my own price BTW!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    39 l,7.2 fat 5.67 pr scc 0.11 price 65 cent/litre fixed with glanbia:-)

Fair play . This is beginning to remind me of Brendan Graces story about the Kerry jarvey and the American. Lol.

visatorro wrote: »
    As much as I give out about glanbia, the avonmore brand tastes far nicer than any shops own brand Iv tasted.
    Was trying to explain this to a townie friend, he wasn't really grasping the situation!

I'm too embarrassed to post my own price BTW!

Your just being modest I'm sure. Everyone knows you got 75 cent . Don't worry we won't tell the tax man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

3.47p 4.32bf received about 34.88 from dairygold.winter bonus comes in this month, for the four months, as well spread over Feb litres so I can say I got 65.9 c/l one month anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I see on the journal there is already talk about opening intervention for smp:eek:. The EU seems to have made things alot worse by its interference in the market. The sooner milk goes near 15c the better for all of us.

• Advertisement

I see on the journal there is already talk about opening intervention for smp:eek:. The EU seems to have made things alot worse by its interference in the market. The sooner milk goes near 15c the better for all of us.

flog it off on the open market , first loss is often the best loss,

no use talking about premium product prices
    at the end of the day it's smp & the likes that jack up the returns,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Why do you want to get paid 15c?

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Why do you want to get paid 15c?

Can't speak for Greenfield but personally I have noticed a belief growing among some that a low price would put others out of business and the assumption seems to be that you do better if someone else goes broke. Personally I don't like this way of thinking. But a lot of people seem to think dairying is a competition between us dairy farmers . plays right in to the hands of processors looking for cheap milk IMO. http://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences/applied-and-social-sciences-magazines/beggar-thy-neighbor

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭castletrader

Bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its likely to be exactly the same, just diff wrapping.

NB, don't eat the wrapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The commission has reduced the tender for sale of Skim powder in stock from twice a month to once a month due to lack of interest from buyers.

http://m.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/commission-to-reduce-skim-milk-powder-tenders-due-to-limited-interest-35568154.html?utm_content=bufferfa0cf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Was talking to a guy today on the board of my co-op,and the prospect for the milk price for the 2nd half of 17 is far from certain.more than likely hold till may or hold to get glanbia vote tru,after that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Was talking to a guy today on the board of my co-op,and the prospect for the milk price for the 2nd half of 17 is far from certain.more than likely hold till may or hold to get glanbia vote tru,after that....

Better be a no vote first time so.

that was on the cards from last nov. but it was hoped that price would hold until after peak months, i.e. july onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Does anyone know where the coolree creamery is in ireland? Lidl sell their milk..

M three wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the coolree creamery is in ireland? Lidl sell their milk..

There's a code on the back of every carton.
    It's usually irl or gb and then the number.
    224 is Strathroy.
    Which it probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    There's a code on the back of every carton.
    It's usually irl or gb and then the number.
    224 is Strathroy.
    Which it probably is.

No code starting with irl or gb, 8 digit code over one of the barcodes starts with 205.

Bit misleading to brand it coolree creamery if there is no such place.

The label even states "at coolree creamery we are passionate about......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Better be a no vote first time so.

Any idea what date the vote is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea what date the vote is on?

Silage time as usual.

No code starting with irl or gb, 8 digit code over one of the barcodes starts with 205.

Bit misleading to brand it coolree creamery if there is no such place.

The label even states "at coolree creamery we are passionate about......."

There must be a code.
    Here's one to show you from a local farmer producer in wexford as an example.

Forgive the state of the carton.
    It's being recycled and has another use.

Edit: on the misleading part.
    Welcome to own brand supermarket goods where the only clue to where it came from is the grower or factory code.

Interesting times ahead. They will also have in the back of their minds that people can give their notice of intention to leave from next January. It would be very foolish of them to treat the farmer on the ground like they did in the summer of 2016

This is from the aldi clonbawn milk

Have a coolree one here too. It says ie number see lid ec. I can not see an ie number on the lid. It does have the ndc logo and says farmed in the republic of Ireland. Its a 3litre container

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    This is from the aldi clonbawn milk

Aldi milk comes from Clona and Arrabawn....hence the name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

So 1000 farmers applied and didn't end up reducing, the majority of whom more than likely did so deliberately. Looks like more than 3 million will go unclaimed. No mention on a redistribution of this money as some on here claimed would happen. Maybe their well connected sources are not as dependable as they would've had us believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement