Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Pz Cussons the company who bought the Nigerian Nutricima drinks brand from glanbia (the same brand glanbia plc were trying to sell to our coop back at first spin out) just wrote off 24.8m the investment value, glanbia pocketed 21m back in 2015 for selling their 50% stake (All figures in sterling)

lucky escape lads, they paint a rosey picture when trying to offload business

im guessing nigerian rep might be in trouble

Imo the only time the truth is told about a Co. is when it’s floated for IPO...

Mooooo wrote: »
    Eu and trump threatening tariffs as well to throw more ****e at it

Irish processors are winning this year, imho. Even Lactalis are paying over 34cpl + vat.
    Good grass year, low cost year...Coops making hay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Imo the only time the truth is told about a Co. is when it’s floated for IPO...

dont know about that, most companies that go for ipo these days are heavily indebted and are trying to raise money cheaply, less explaining to banks on profitability/return on investment, easier to play the market

oranua and this ipo thing must be in the pipeline with a while considering they changed their name - management trying to cash in also. be a disaster for us suppliers further reduce our milk price adding further costs

glanbia just throwing the toys out of pram at minute, they are prob a bit sour over not getting butter plant and i can imagine their faces when asked to leave board meeting, just bang in all future contracts that no coop can sell for a cheaper price than oranua if a supplier and problem sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Normally a processor wouldnt publish a long praise article about being FIFTH in a Tightly bunched milk price league and if they lobbied to include items that most of their suppliers don't get and that doesn't include a significant competitor...... Unless they are feeling guilty.
    5cpl behind non grass based mostly housed systems in the rest of the EU...... pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Normally a processor wouldnt publish a long praise article about being FIFTH in a Tightly bunched milk price league and if they lobbied to include items that most of their suppliers don't get and that doesn't include a significant competitor...... Unless they are feeling guilty.
    5cpl behind non grass based mostly housed systems in the rest of the EU...... pathetic

And we're to give them a pat on the back for our own constituents.

• Advertisement

Link?

It’s waaaaay more than 5cpl Whelan. Subtract the vat from Glanbias base price, then you’ve the real Glanbia price. That’s the real price difference. Lactalis, a private unlimited Co. are paying 35cpl + vat for milk, and they make Glanbia look like Mother Theresa...

** Whoa!! Since when is grass fed milk worth more than maize fed? I’d suggest NEVER...
    When Glanbia were paying 22/24cpl inc vat, Terra Lacta were paying 28cpl + vat.

I picked Glanbia because Whelan supplies them. I picked Terra Lacta because I supply them.
    I picked Lactalis because...they’re the worst of the worst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I think the point is,processors in Ireland give themselves a pat on the back for lower cost grass based systems as if it was their gift
    Secondly what are Irish management doing wrong and why aren't they admonished for not returning similar to French processors
    It's not as if its s new situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think the point is,processors in Ireland give themselves a pat on the back for lower cost grass based systems as if it was their gift
    Secondly what are Irish management doing wrong and why aren't they admonished for not returning similar to French processors
    It's not as if its s new situation

Don't have to go to France. Carbery processed 536 mil litres of milk and have an operating profit of 32 million. Dairygold processed circa 1360 mil litres and had an operating profit of 29 million

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Danone plant in Macroom closing for the last 2 weeks in August for "maintenance" reasons. Stock & lack of ability to shift it is what managers their freely admit what the problem is now it's not to say maintenance won't be carried out while their closed.
    Also temporary/seasonal staff are being let go in their wexford plant apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Danone plant in Macroom closing for the last 2 weeks in August for "maintenance" reasons. Stock & lack of ability to shift it is what managers their freely admit what the problem is now it's not to say maintenance won't be carried out while their closed.
    Also temporary/seasonal staff are being let go in their wexford plant apparently.
    Going to be more headaches for suppliers of Danone of excess product to find a home for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Going to be more headaches for suppliers of Danone of excess product to find a home for.

I remember asking at a glanbia meeting where are the markets going to come from for all this product. We were told don't worry about the markets that's our job. Yous just supply the milk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I remember asking at a glanbia meeting where are the markets going to come from for all this product. We were told don't worry about the markets that's our job. Yous just supply the milk...

Sooner or later, bonuses will have to be tied in closely to milk price delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I asked Lawrence shalloo the same question at moorepark after he promoted more cows more milk etc ,group told to move on for next group ....they really havnt a clue

I used to shoot with a French expat that used to work in Danone Macroom. It was fairly normal to close for a good few weeks during the summer I think (?), but that was over 20yrs ago and my memory isn’t the best.

As an aside the lack of efficiency of the staff was shocking those days. With the stories he’d be telling one would wonder how they made any money at all. A veritable holiday camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can tell you Danone is no holiday camp. I'd say Tipp Coop supply them a lot of their raw material.

Water John wrote: »
    Can tell you Danone is no holiday camp. I'd say Tipp Coop supply them a lot of their raw material.

I think it was called Nutricia back then...

I think Ballyclough actually built it, but Dairygold gave it away to Nutricia. Danone have expanded it big time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Don't have to go to France. Carbery processed 536 mil litres of milk and have an operating profit of 32 million. Dairygold processed circa 1360 mil litres and had an operating profit of 29 million

Not fair comparison due to carbery s profits coning from outside sources. In fact.it reflects well on dairygold.that.they are.not.making a big profit on what is largely a farmer supply company

K.G. wrote: »
    Not fair comparison due to carbery s profits coning from outside sources. In fact.it reflects well on dairygold.that.they are.not.making a big profit on what is largely a farmer supply company

Fair enough point, do you have the break down of what percentage the processing of milk contributed to that 32 mil operating profit. Guess carbery are doing what glanbia and Kerry have done except without going the plc route in terms of investing elsewhere? Seem to be making a decent go of it at least

Fair enough point, do you have the break down of what percentage the processing of milk contributed to that 32 mil operating profit. Guess carbery are doing what glanbia and Kerry have done except without going the plc route in terms of investing elsewhere? Seem to be making a decent go of it at least

Yeah i suppose carbery only have the management with their hand out whereas kerry/glanbia also have shareholders hand s out.longstanding argument with them about how they apportion their profits within sectors but there s no denying where the jam is.to the best of my recollection carbery have the most employees relative to their milk supply of any coop in the country and would t be short of a bob either

• Advertisement

Is it Carbery, or the four Coops that have this extra revenue stream?

Is it Carbery, or the four Coops that have this extra revenue stream?
    Carbery and some coops separately

So they all have money trees. Barryroe have a pig processing facility which they bought and expanded. Drinagh have a wider retail/commercial arm than most milk processors. Carbery had an interest in South America and were delighted to get out of it. Any others, details please?
    If they have, fair play to them. Contrasts sharply with Dairygold's REOX cock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

So they all have money trees. Barryroe have a pig processing facility which they bought and expanded. Drinagh have a wider retail/commercial arm than most milk processors. Carbery had an interest in South America and were delighted to get out of it. Any others, details please?
    If they have, fair play to them. Contrasts sharply with Dairygold's REOX cock up.

Forgot about REOX....??

Did the same management not come with a recent proposal for changes to our Ornua Coop?

PLC, shares, trading grey market, spin out bribe.....anything familiar??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    Forgot about REOX....??

Did the same management not come with a recent proposal for changes to our Ornua Coop?

PLC, shares, trading grey market, spin out bribe.....anything familiar??

Glanbia are going to be seriously tight on capital funding and cash reserves with the 100m of the exchangeable bond money due to be paid back I think next year, if you take into account that the cookie jar money from share spinouts has also been subbing the plc nearly 20 million a year the past couple of year in getting them cheap milk
    The Ornua stunt could be a play by them to release their equity in it, and come up with another cookie jar Scheme out of it to help sub the plc into paying as little as possible for milk, would have very little faith in Talbot to reverse the share price drops and steer the company back on to a sound footing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Glanbia are going to be seriously tight on capital funding and cash reserves with the 100m of the exchangeable bond money due to be paid back I think next year, if you take into account that the cookie jar money from share spinouts has also been subbing the plc nearly 20 million a year the past couple of year in getting them cheap milk
    The Ornua stunt could be a play by them to release their equity in it, and come up with another cookie jar Scheme out of it to help sub the plc into paying as little as possible for milk, would have very little faith in Talbot to reverse the share price drops and steer the company back on to a sound footing

But the huge risk in all of this Jay, is how could glanbia cash in their shares? Will the plan involve outside investors through this "grey market"..

Will the ownership of Ornua end up outside of farmers hands?

The proposal by Dairygold is that it be nonpublic, a private co. Larry could end up owning it.
    You forgot about REOX but you'll never forget about it. The more one thinks about it, the dafter it looks, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    But the huge risk in all of this Jay, is how could glanbia cash in their shares? Will the plan involve outside investors through this "grey market"..

Will the ownership of Ornua end up outside of farmers hands?

Farmers journal removed a tweet they put up this morning re glanbia and the share price collapse, would love to know what it was, a few comments under it slating management aswell

Well there is a whole article on that in the print edition, this week.
    In fact it has two p3 and p18. I knew one fact stood out for me. They spent €30m on an online presence.
    IFJ may have come under pressure following those articles.

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Farmers journal removed a tweet they put up this morning re glanbia and the share price collapse, would love to know what it was, a few comments under it slating management aswell

It was that Talbot and bergin? Didn't turn up to a shareholder meeting I think

Advertisement